Morelos No More and those short goal kicks

Spot on.

Was watching through clasped fingers when we were trying to be Man City...but it's apparent we need to try something like this in the league.

I don’t know anyone in their right mind that would buy such an out of shape striker like Morelos. His own lack of professionalism is going to do the opposite of what he wants.

Short goal kicks will be fine in Scotland but it's suicide against a team that is dominating you as much as leverkusen were us. Tactically it did not work once.

It's training, confidence, and belief.

Their players didn't see what we did as a 'press'. They stayed calm and passed ball. Every time they pressed us we blootered the ball away.

Not any one player's fault.

Folk literally making things up and seeking attention. He had a poor game and is lacking sharpness, he had games like this before Christmas when his form was sensational. Look at me I’m calling a player out for not wanting to be at Rangers. Beyond boring and out of order.
The whole team were poor, not just Alfie.
Only helander had pass marks from me.
Let's just agree we played a team who are miles in front of us?

I'm genuinely not concerned by Morelos leaving - and I have said that for quite a while.

He's good when he comes deep and great on the counter. I'm sorry but he just isn't great at holding the ball up with a defender behind him.

Like you I've been watching this for a while and a lot of moves break down when it reaches him. I love him but ultimately I think the team as a whole will function better without him.

I will say one thing though, I honestly suspect that he's been neutered by the referees, the compliance officer and the media. He was called El Buffalo for a reason, but he sadly hasn't been the same since the 29th at the Knew Camp.

Aye because long balls worked so well in the first half.

We need to get better at it not just stop playing football ffs.
Tell me the point in taking it short to a player in the box, who then just thumps it up the pitch ? When they do that it's absolutely pointless and no different to McGregor just booting it up the park.

By also doing it and being closed down you also leave the chance of making an arse of it and then playing all the opposing players onside.

It's time to move on.If he keeps up with the huff and the shit body language he'll be worth %^*& all.

It's a catch 22 for the club, he plays with the seemingly poor attitude & puts in the poor performances we've been seeing, even before the lockdown or he gets benched or not even in the match day squad his transfer fee goes further down. We've then got an unhappy player possibly causing problems with the rest of the squad.

Tell me the point in taking it short to a player in the box, who then just thumps it up the pitch ? When they do that it's absolutely pointless and no different to McGregor just booting it up the park.

By also doing it and being closed down you also leave the chance of making an arse of it and then playing all the opposing players onside.

Did you watch how Bayer moved the ball?

That's the point!

You don't get to that level without practice, it's genuinely the first game under Gerrard I can remember us struggling so much to retain posessesion in all phases of the game.

Clearly the ball wasn't passed to these players to lump up the park they panicked or there was a lack of options.

I'd rather continue to play decent football or we'd be as well just phoning big Sam.

He was poor but do people genuinely think he's out of shape? The camera cut to him when he went off and he looked slimmer than I've ever seen him. He's out of form and clearly had his head turned a bit, but so would everyone with double the wages and a £20m offer expected.

Let's remember what he's done for this club, the abuse he's getting tonight is utterly pathetic. We won't know what we've lost until he's gone.

Cannae understand why Morelos should get in the neck. They all look off the pace.

He was poor, but as you say, like the rest of them. But FF demands a scapegoat. It's went from 'pyoor Fredo man, worth 25 mullyun or a buyer can get tae %^*&' to now he has to be benched.

He sure as hell hasn't gone for the "put myself in the shop window" approach - far from it in fact. We now need shot of him and if that £13m is still on the table we look like we are going to have to grab it.

Obviously we have been virtually forced to play him recently but his time is now up - let's hope something is agreed in the next few days.

Just the normal I see

We are where are because of him if he goes he goes if he doesn't he does need to get back into the right space physically and mentally.

I will say he's just had a kid and mentally he won't be all there as well add that to the transfer talk.

The thing is they were a better side much better side he couldn't get near the defenders nothing was coming to him our midfield were just covering space and defending.

We need to remember this.

Why would becoming a dad affect him mentally? It's one of the greatest things that can happen to a man, he should be loving life just for the reason that he can make his family secure for the rest of their lives.

The whole team were poor, not just Alfie.
Only helander had pass marks from me.
Let's just agree we played a team who are miles in front of us?

Yes that’s the point I was making. We didn’t play well but we’re up against top class opposition who don’t allow you to play well. They have better quality who dictate how the games pans out. I though both Goldson and Helander were very good.

Did you watch how Bayer moved the ball?

That's the point!

You don't get to that level without practice, it's genuinely the first game under Gerrard I can remember us struggling so much to retain posessesion in all phases of the game.

Clearly the ball wasn't passed to these players to lump up the park they panicked or there was a lack of options.

I'd rather continue to play decent football or we'd be as well just phoning big Sam.
If they panicked or had a lack of options then why pass it to them knowing your about to be closed down, Goldson done it along with Tav tonight, you totally nullify them closing you down if McGregor just takes the byekick, doing what they did tonight leaves us wide open to making a mistake, there was also an instance when we took the ball,played it across the box and then lost it outside our own box, that should never be happening, you don't play balls across your box when opposing players are closing other players down.

Thanks for the memories last year and the year before Alfredo, now please move on.
Looking forward to seeing our team with Alfredo not there and Itten and Roofe adding a different dimension. It's never been clearer that it's now best for all parties that he moves on, with thanks.

If he ends up staying now and keeps up this attitude and form, he's' really going to undo all the good will he's built up.
Totally agree, his head is definitely not in it anymore

I’d love him to stay, imagine having Morelos and the potential of the two new guys to call on. I’d go out on a limb and say between them you could easily count on 60 plus goals a season from the front three minimum. Having that quality on the bench as well to bring on and change games, would be a frightening prospect
That may have been possible with the 2019 version of Morelos but sadly not the current one!

If they panicked or had a lack of options then why pass it to them knowing your about to be closed down, Goldson done it along with Tav tonight, you totally nullify them closing you down if McGregor just takes the byekick, doing what they did tonight leaves us wide open to making a mistake, there was also an instance when we took the ball,played it across the box and then lost it outside our own box, that should never be happening, you don't play balls across your box when opposing players are closing other players down.

How many first or second balls did we win tonight from long balls?

I'm genuinely struggling to think of any, the big defender had Morelos on toast.

Just because it didn't work out for us doesn't mean it was the wrong tactic, we just couldn't execute it properly.

I look forward to your screams of "gerrit up the f*ckin perkk" when we're allowed back into Ibrox mate:D

Truthfully it's hard to remember a player who has played a part in so many failures over the years being deemed so untouchable and allowed so many chances. It's revealing how lacking in heroes we've been that he's above reproach for so many.

A lack of pace id say. He doesn't look as lean as he did this time last season and it's costing him a half yard, which really got shown up against a quality side like Leverkusen

Short free kick can be fine but again, not against a team as good as today's opponents. The alternative could be just as bad though as youre giving possession to opponent who know how to damage you.

How many first or second balls did we win tonight from long balls?

I'm genuinely struggling to think of any, the big defender had Morelos on toast.

Just because it didn't work out for us doesn't mean it was the wrong tactic, we just couldn't execute it properly.

I look forward to your screams of "gerrit up the f*ckin perkk" when we're allowed back into Ibrox mate:D
I like the ball played on the ground,so i won't be shouting to get it up the park. The short goal kicks were dire to watch tonight, yes it works if other teams sit off you and don't press right up to the box, but when Bayer players were closing down as soon as it left McGregor's foot and our players are just hoofing it up the park then it's absolutely pointless taking short bye kicks.

It didn't work out and we couldn't do it simply because of the Bayer players speed at closing us down, but we continued to do it, hense why i said in that situation just hit it long.

We didn't even press the Bayer keeper when they hit it short and never closed them down allowing them to walk the ball out the box, the only press came from Hagi in the last few minutes and had Stewarts thinking been better and slipped it to Arfield who was about 3 yards from him rather than go for glory we could have had a draw. It was a pish poor performance especially from Morelos and absolutely toothless up front and in the middle.

I was expecting a draw at most. To be fair on Alfie, he is playing in a game where we are not going to progress and he has a transfer on the horizon, I doubt many players would be out there giving it blood and thunder if they were in his situation. No point being stupid like Jones and getting yourself injured for more or less nothing.

I can't see him staying but if he does he needs to get working on his fitness quickly. Looks a yard off the pace and it's affecting the rest of his game.

Alfie is a pale shadow of the player who was on fire the first 5 months of last season. We all love the lad but he is doing himself no favours at all with performances like tonight, he just was not interested one bit and if still with us, he should be benched on Sunday.

Serious question - is he actually fit?

I noticed this angle from the Daily Rebel - compared to a season back:

0_Bayer-04-Leverkusen-v-Rangers-FC-UEFA-Europa-League-Round-of-16-Second-Leg.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000453366037-e1551572476973.jpg

Why would becoming a dad affect him mentally? It's one of the greatest things that can happen to a man, he should be loving life just for the reason that he can make his family secure for the rest of their lives.
It is I'd agree but the readjustment in your life after kids is difficult for anyone

Especially new born babies the lack of sleep their worries that come with kids especially your first...... The second well you have been through it before so enjoy it more

The impact that has on relationship with partner etc having kids is great you wouldn't ever change it but it is a difficult and stressful change to life

I like the ball played on the ground,so i won't be shouting to get it up the park. The short goal kicks were dire to watch tonight, yes it works if other teams sit off you and don't press right up to the box, but when Bayer players were closing down as soon as it left McGregor's foot and our players are just hoofing it up the park then it's absolutely pointless taking short bye kicks.

It didn't work out and we couldn't do it simply because of the Bayer players speed at closing us down, but we continued to do it, hense why i said in that situation just hit it long.

We didn't even press the Bayer keeper when they hit it short and never closed them down allowing them to walk the ball out the box, the only press came from Hagi in the last few minutes and had Stewarts thinking been better and slipped it to Arfield who was about 3 yards from him rather than go for glory we could have had a draw. It was a pish poor performance especially from Morelos and absolutely toothless up front and in the middle.
The two errors we made I think was still doing it after they started closing down we should have started switching between going long and the short kicks it became routine for them to move to positions near the box.

Second part is should the midfielders need to come to the ball in the centre to pull the opposition deeper at that point you go over the top if not down the line

Guardiola started doing this with barca to try create space in midfield and other teams have tried to copy it since

I know people will say ‘what did you expect it was Bayer Leverkusen Bla Bla’ but overall I’m really disappointed in what I saw tonight. We spent the majority of the game unsuccessfully trying to play the ball out from the back via short goal kicks and didn’t stop until at least the 75th minute.

genuinely baffled by the team and the managers performance tonight. These same players were bursting a gut and running through walls only a couple of weeks ago in pre-season friendly yet in a Europa game the same players are barely breaking sweat, we didn’t start pressing them until we made the late subs, what in the name of %^*& were we playing at?

I know people will say ‘what did you expect it was Bayer Leverkusen Bla Bla’ but overall I’m really disappointed in what I saw tonight. We spent the majority of the game unsuccessfully trying to play the ball out from the back via short goal kicks and didn’t stop until at least the 75th minute.

genuinely baffled by the team and the managers performance tonight. These same players were bursting a gut and running through walls only a couple of weeks ago in pre-season friendly yet in a Europa game the same players are barely breaking sweat, we didn’t start pressing them until we made the late subs, what in the name of %^*& were we playing at?
I still find it bizarre why Arfield and Hagi didn't start the game, both made a difference when they came on, Jack and Davis can't play in the same team and Davis although being a fine player, his legs have now gone. Still can't fathom why Jones has been told to find a new club, when Barker should be out the door before him, thought Jones done ok when he came on.

I watched with someone not from the U.K. and told them how much we loved Morelos. “Well he doesn’t love you all as much” was his observation when he watched him today. Fairly astute I thought.

Looked a totally different Alfredo from the player we all know & love.
I think he’ll be off by the end of the week I hope not though.
Well I hope he is, a blind man can see we have come to the end of the journey with him now, no way back, him staying is no good he's playing when he clearly doesn't deserve to and that doesn't go down well with any squad.

He showed a complete lack of interest and more concerned with not getting injured.

He didn't get close to Kent and Barker to link the play (the little we had of the ball up top). The goal was case in point, you could see Kent was in difficulty so get close to him because you know the ball is going to break close to the tackle but he meanders over gets brushed off it again - just so poor.

Also we can't be playing out short like that from goal kicks - Leverkusen are pressing 4/5 men up - so knock it 40/50 yards and let's give them something to think about. I really like Gerrard but he needs to give some responsibility to McGregor there to call it like he sees it - always went short no variation.
Short goal kicks are fine, it's how we score v sheep on Saturday unless you forget. No point it thumping it long every time and losing possession. There wer plent of times when he passed to the CH then they went long straight away

I'm not sure about him being uninterested; it's more that he's so far off it in terms of conditioning that he is struggling to keep up with the play at times. Watching Tapsoba marshall him with such ease last night was a bit embarrassing — I'm thinking of the incident where he should have been through on goal in the first half.

This has been evident since the first game of pre-season. When I think of it, it's kinda bizarre how some of our fans just point blank refused to entertain the fact he was unfit at the time.

Morelos has been living off 2019 form since January. He’s been a shadow of himself since he didn’t get a move in January. Intentionally or otherwise, he’s switched off.

Playing a player who has had his head turned and wants to leave leads to that level of performance. Had Defoe been fit then I don’t think Alfredo plays. Suspect he will be gone by Sunday but if not Roofe or Itten will play central striker not Alfredo

Back