Morelos Performance

His role in the team is evolving,he's not the Alfie who batters CB's anymore,playing the role Firmino plays at Liverpool.
I loved his battering ram style but we were too reliant on him,maybe this more fluid style will suit us better over the season?
It also means we can swap with Roofe and keep the same system. At times last season we were asking Defoe to go play in the same system we play Morelos.

Morelos in this role as well means he can play alongside Roofe, Itten or Defoe. If we are toiling then we can always let Morelos go bully centre halves as well as an option.

It probably would have been a booking if Beaton had seen it. You can guarantee though he would still have left it on Duffy at the end on a booking or not and walked.
But that was never a booking for Morelos on Duffy. That’s just a weak ref shitting it. Did the Celtic forward get booked for a similar hip bump on Barisic? It’s in that compilation foul video.

Link up was better than it was against Ross County - it couldn’t be worse - but he was being reckless towards the end of the first half. Never looked like scoring. Should drop when Roofe is fit. Sell as soon as we get a decent offer.

I think he's living on last years form for a lot of bears who are just desperately clinging onto anything he does right to justify his poor performances as better than they are. He offers now, not much more than Sebo offered against the Tiags. Runs about and ruffles feathers.

Fair enough if that's all you want. To act like he is anything close to the player he was last year, is folly.

He gives the ball away a lot and makes bad decisions regularly and has been very poor Infront of goal.

He should be back on the bench when Roofe is fit, Roofe offers far more than this 2020 version of Morelos.
I think it’s the polar opposite.

There are a few strange ones on here desperately jumping on any minor negative excluding all positive contributions from their memory.

No one has a flawless game. So giving the ball away a couple of times is not enough to say he was poor.

Wow, offers no more than Sebo. You are clearly at it. Why did I even reply to such a mental opinion.

Link up was better than it was against Ross County - it couldn’t be worse - but he was being reckless towards the end of the first half. Never looked like scoring. Should drop when Roofe is fit. Sell as soon as we get a decent offer.

So do you think we need to replace him if we sell him given what you’ve witnessed with Roofe’s fitness & Itten’s development & Defoe’s age ?

Let’s be honest Roofe looks a player, but nothing suggests he’ll be fit to play anywhere near as much as Morelos is.

Alfie is playing a different role now, do you think he goes on to the pitch and just does what he wants, if that was the case do you think he would be starting ?. He is playing in positions how the management want him to play. The opposition still see him as our main goal threat and that causes confusion and opens the door for others as we have seen.also he owned their two so called hard men yesterday brown and duffy and made them look like schoolboys.

What was meant to happen was their central defenders followed Alfie out leaving space for Kent and Barker to run into. Kent and Barker had pretty ordinary games so it didn't really work. Spurs are using this with Kane dropping and Son having space. Thing is Kane being a level above Alfie is still scoring.

The OP is correct, he is playing a different role these days. More of a team player. He always makes a contribution and yesterday was involved in great build up play. He just needs to break his duck against them. They do try to wind him up and he needs to learn that not reacting is the best response. However, the wee man had the last laugh yesterday, the slap is still making me laugh this morning. No doubt they will come after him for it.

It also means we can swap with Roofe and keep the same system. At times last season we were asking Defoe to go play in the same system we play Morelos.

Morelos in this role as well means he can play alongside Roofe, Itten or Defoe. If we are toiling then we can always let Morelos go bully centre halves as well as an option.
Yeah i think that's the thought,less dependant on him.
I'm sure there will be times when we want him to play like he has the past few seasons.

Those with entrenched views won’t change them regardless of what they see on the field.

Most the online fan base didn’t realise what a good players Hutton was until just before he left because they were far to slow to change their first and heavily invested opinion. It’s nothing new.

Some fans have decided he is crap and a liability and so now he is crap and a liability until he goes. Doesn’t matter what he does.

Well said Tailwind.

Let’s use hard evidence rather than preconceptions to evaluate our players.

I’ll always start by giving any Rangers player the benefit of the doubt, just because I’m a fan.

I jumped into the match thread at half time yesterday and see he was getting slated, not just for his 'naughtiness' (that's what it is when any non-Rangers players does it right?) but for his all round play and at the time I thought he was actually playing decent.

Watched the game back and I stick by that, although I am sure many will disagree.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.

I thought Duffy had a sly kick out at Alfie followed by 'raising his hands' and pushing him over. A definite red if it had been the other way around.

The team structure won the game and Alfie was a part of that.

That said his discipline lapsed and I was glad Gerrard subbed him. He forgets he has a reputation and an easy target for referees.

One of the reasons he did not get his move in my estimation.

No one likes to be negative about your own but if I was a potential buyer there yesterday I would have seen very little to recommend 20mil,but that was only one game but the one game that really matters.

I watched it back and overall he had far more good than bad.
First 35 was good apart from 2 slack passes, one across the pitch and one over hit backwards lay off that went in between our defence and midfield.
He then had a wee 5-10 mins of silliness before half time but calmed for the most part second half.
What’s not been mentioned was how well judged or well weighted some of his lay offs and link ups were.
It’s also not been mentioned that Kent probably made more wrong choices in good positions than Morelos did. Nobody wants to put the boot into Kent though.
Alfredo was a solid 7/10 yesterday and played his part.
Just needs a bit of luck in front of goal.
Kent’s volley was deflected about a yard past him which was unfortunate.
Kent should also have been smarter when he got caught by Ajer’s last ditch tackle. He could’ve played Alfie in or scored himself if he’d taken a better touch.

So do you think we need to replace him if we sell him given what you’ve witnessed with Roofe’s fitness & Itten’s development & Defoe’s age ?

Let’s be honest Roofe looks a player, but nothing suggests he’ll be fit to play anywhere near as much as Morelos is.
Yes I do, so this is it for next 12 weeks or so. But that was adequate at best yesterday. And who knows what he was up to in the last 10 mins of the first half. Let’s see if this helps him recover some form.

A very mixed performance for me. He's nowhere near his best but still performs a crucial role for the team.

He has to cut out the silliness in his game though because no matter how funny some of the memes etc are, the slap/clipping of Brown's ear on another day could've seen him walk. Refs in Scotland are quick enough to book him just for being on the pitch so he needs to be smarter when dealing with Brown's childish antics.

A very mixed performance for me. He's nowhere near his best but still performs a crucial role for the team.

He has to cut out the silliness in his game though because no matter how funny some of the memes etc are, the slap/clipping of Brown's ear on another day could've seen him walk. Refs in Scotland are quick enough to book him just for being on the pitch so he needs to be smarter when dealing with Brown's childish antics.
This too.

It’s all right slating his behaviour but there is no doubt we benefitted from Duffy and Brown getting wound up and sucked in. Took two of their players out the game because they were so obsessed with trying to wind Morelos up.

I watched it back and overall he had far more good than bad.
First 35 was good apart from 2 slack passes, one across the pitch and one over hit backwards lay off that went in between our defence and midfield.
He then had a wee 5-10 mins of silliness before half time but calmed for the most part second half.
What’s not been mentioned was how well judged or well weighted some of his lay offs and link ups were.
It’s also not been mentioned that Kent probably made more wrong choices in good positions than Morelos did. Nobody wants to put the boot into Kent though.
Alfredo was a solid 7/10 yesterday and played his part.
Just needs a bit of luck in front of goal.
Kent’s volley was deflected about a yard past him which was unfortunate.
Kent should also have been smarter when he got caught by Ajer’s last ditch tackle. He could’ve played Alfie in or scored himself if he’d taken a better touch.

Thanks for that objective summary MR.

But that was never a booking for Morelos on Duffy. That’s just a weak ref shitting it. Did the Celtic forward get booked for a similar hip bump on Barisic? It’s in that compilation foul video.
Alfie's booking was probably for persistent fouling. Alfie was putting himself about a fair bit, which is fine by me, but he will eventually get booked. And he didn't hip bump the guy he clattered into him late. Towards the end of the first half when he was getting a bit wound up he also had a couple of wild leaps at the ball, or rather in its general direction, where no foul was given as the ball went to their player. Good on Alfie for what he did as both Brown and Duffy were riled, but he could have no complaint about his booking.

Yes I do, so this is it for next 12 weeks or so. But that was adequate at best yesterday. And who knows what he was up to in the last 10 mins of the first half. Let’s see if this helps him recover some form.

Im not going to defend him for his behaviour in that period. I’m a Rangers fan & he put us at risk with that behaviour mate.

On the other hand, so many people slate the guy unjustifiably too.

If that Ryan Kent ‘through on goal’ opportunity was Morelos there would have been a thread specifically on that mate.

I think he was asked to play a different role yesterday. He wasn't playing on the shoulder of the last man as usual and was more involved in build up play than actually being in the box. Some sloppy passing at times but a decent performance.

He is playing deeper, so maybe a factor in the lack of goals.
Aint the player he was last year and i wish we had took the dough and reinvested.

Thanks for that objective summary MR.
Cheers Grigo.
Honestly, I’d advise all bears who can to watch the game back again.
There were things not apparent to me whilst watching the game that were much clearer seeing it again.
The two obvious ones for me were Morelos as I thought he was poor and gave it away too much. He wasn’t poor at all. There’s loads of passages of play he was heavily involved in with great touches and passes. Think of the move which ended in Tav’s volley.
The other was Barker. I was crying out for him to get hooked and thought he was rank.
Watching it back he did little wrong and probably had one of our best bits of play just before he got subbed when he beat the guy in the middle and drifted left, drew their defenders to him and slipped Kent clean through. Barker was nowhere near as bad as I thought he was and played his part.

I jumped into the match thread at half time yesterday and see he was getting slated, not just for his 'naughtiness' (that's what it is when any non-Rangers players does it right?) but for his all round play and at the time I thought he was actually playing decent.

Watched the game back and I stick by that, although I am sure many will disagree.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.
We beat them 2 nil at the piggery so imo every player on the park did well.

I think Morelos is doing ok with contributing to the build up, but I suspect Roofe will be better at this deep-lying striker role than he is.

Cheers Grigo.
Honestly, I’d advise all bears who can to watch the game back again.
There were things not apparent to me whilst watching the game that were much clearer seeing it again.
The two obvious ones for me were Morelos as I thought he was poor and gave it away too much. He wasn’t poor at all. There’s loads of passages of play he was heavily involved in with great touches and passes. Think of the move which ended in Tav’s volley.
The other was Barker. I was crying out for him to get hooked and thought he was rank.
Watching it back he did little wrong and probably had one of our best bits of play just before he got subbed when he beat the guy in the middle and drifted left, drew their defenders to him and slipped Kent clean through. Barker was nowhere near as bad as I thought he was and played his part.

Good point about Barker too mate.

I have to say that’s where I was with him, having only watched live, but I respect your knowledge & objectivity.

We’ve now totally outplayed them three times in a row, with Morelos leading the line, beating them twice, yet still we see so much negativity by some.

Not so long ago we were lucky to have only lost 5 to them at Parkhead & it’s easy to forget the progress we have made, with Morelos an important part of that, despite his fragilities discipline wise.

Yes but he was booked for it whether you feel it was legitimate or not. If you make contact with a player after ball is gone you run the risk of a yellow, Morelos is always treading that line. If he is picking up pointless yellows for the likes of cuffing someone's ear then he is on a tightrope thereafter.

I thought he had a decent game - some quality passes and crosses in the first half for sure - e.g. teeing up Tav for his volleyed attempt and a fizzing cross across the 6 yard box. Seemed to be les impactful after we went 2 up but I think that was generally because we tightened up to see out the game.

Remember he went done with what looked like cramp 10-15 mins into the match so it's likely that the effect of travelling halfway across the world a couple days before had a bit of an effect on his fitness and condition

I thought he was awful yesterday. Passed the ball directly to a celtic player twice in 5 mins, was playing wide right for some reason and then he started fannying around doing his usual stupid off the ball stuff

What exactly did ‘big Ced’ do when he came on ? He touched the ball twice and lost possession twice !!!

part of a winning team at the piggery, what part of that upsets you ?
Itten was hardly on the pitch and wasn’t a contributor I am not slagging him. But behave yourself he wasn’t on long enough to contribute.

Morelos had a decent game he got under their skins and physically competed and mainly won his battles against the 3 big giants they had at the back. He was a pest all day

He benefits being the sole focal point of our team but now we're more than ever in recent times playing as a team everybody is equally vital now. Without his goal record of previous Years Im not sure a bid of 18+ will come in. On his day even without goals his switch of play, link up is brilliant.

Another huge issue is he's changed up a bit he doesn't battle with CBs as much which to me was his biggest attribute it's helped reduce his yellows (barely) but has hindered him in terms of goal scoring opportunities. Thanks to the bias treatment he's recieved for years for being our most important player.

Last edited:
What was meant to happen was their central defenders followed Alfie out leaving space for Kent and Barker to run into. Kent and Barker had pretty ordinary games so it didn't really work. Spurs are using this with Kane dropping and Son having space. Thing is Kane being a level above Alfie is still scoring.
Oh well might not have worked, but i will take beating the tims 0-2 any day of the week.

What?

Morelos played well yesterday, he was involved in everything good we did in the final third and beat everyone he came up against 1v1.

The slap was staunch
Alfie is judged to an infinitely higher standard by referees, pundits and seemingly on here as well.

I mentioned on a recent match thread that Alfie had made a wonderful move coming OUT of the penalty area that then created space behind him for his striking partner to run into and score.

I truthfully couldn’t care less if Alfie never scored another goal and his general play meant he helped us win every single game.

He had an effective game I thought. Although his altercations with the Celtic players were harmless, he is still giving referees decisons to make with his stupid behaviour. Although flicking Brown's ear was funny, it was totally unnecessary. I like Alfie but he always seems to fall back into a poor attitude and I for one wouldn't mind too much if he left. Give me a 100% focussed Alfie then he is our best player but we are never going to get that consistently.

Big Duffers thought he would come up here and it would be a stroll in the park. Most of the rhags had him scoring every game. Alfie gave him a torrid time and his last pass was miles out of the park. Alfie led the line well kept their back line occupied most of the game.

Itten was hardly on the pitch and wasn’t a contributor I am not slagging him. But behave yourself he wasn’t on long enough to contribute.

Morelos had a decent game he got under their skins and physically competed and mainly won his battles against the 3 big giants they had at the back. He was a pest all day

People forget the other side of your point.

When we think back to their 2.0 win at Ibrox last season, we win nothing every time it was sent up to Defoe & it then became incessant attacks from them, constantly putting pressure on our midfield & defence.

Gave the ball away a few times and was doing everything possible to get a booking.

He was involved plenty but I just think that if he stopped with his nonsense he would score against them.

He's like a good chef who is never in the kitchen. He needs to focus on staying between the sticks a bit more and his goals will come.

Morelos did his job. If anyone wasn't performing we would not have controlled that game the way we did.

He disrupted their back line and was a constant irritation to them.

He had brown would up to the point the tramp had his worst match v us at the piggery.

Back