Morelos Performance

He was ok in the first half but a lot of sloppy passes again which has nothing to do with what position he is playing.

I hope Roofe can stay fit as he was just starting to hit form.

He gave the ball away far too much

That's my main criticism of him at the moment. I don't feel like he's the type of player who should be dropping back like he has, his passing just isn't good enough for the tactic. He struggles with the intricate, fast passing that we try to implement at times.

Needs to be our focal point in attack, when he did that yesterday he harassed their backline and gave them a lot to think about.

You can’t seperate his performance and his petulance. I thought he was poor again yesterday. Still looks unfit and doesn’t have the legs to close down opposition defenders and give our press purpose. Rarely in the penalty area. Overall - simply not producing.

Would be playing itten Thursday and roofe next weekend if available.

Effective at times but also really really sloppy. I think it was from a corner, found it's way to Morelos at the by-line. Morelos does a slow square pass to absolutely no-one and they immediately counter attack. Was screaming at him for it lol.

He's off form at the minute but can't fault his commitment or work rate.

there was a great passage of play 1st half .he out wide right and put in a cracking ball .I thought Barker could have gambled more .just like tav and big connor.

It's nothing to do with being brave enough to so stuff to that prick and everything to do with him being clever enough to know he'll get a rise out of alfredo everytime. If the first half had lasted another 10/15 minutes theres every chance he walks. Goals against them isn't the issue he doesn't get his move its getting caught up in daft stuff like that which does it could of cost us yesterday thankfully it didn't. Like I've says he has a part in the goal and shows his quality there that's what he should be doing
Was it petty? Yes
Was it a red card? No
Was he on a card? No
Do you think Stevie knows what his players are like? Yes
So if he’s that much of a liability why the feck does he kept getting picked by the manager even when the squad is full strength ?

I jumped into the match thread at half time yesterday and see he was getting slated, not just for his 'naughtiness' (that's what it is when any non-Rangers players does it right?) but for his all round play and at the time I thought he was actually playing decent.

Watched the game back and I stick by that, although I am sure many will disagree.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.
Put us under pressure at times with his link up play,dropping too deep then making a bad pass to put us under pressure

We paid near £6m for Roofe and Itten in the summer it's time to give one of them an extended run in the team now.

Against better teams than the shambles we played yesterday Morelos performances will cost us. Morelos being dropped for several games might also re-energize him as well and get him focused again.

You can’t seperate his performance and his petulance. I thought he was poor again yesterday. Still looks unfit and doesn’t have the legs to close down opposition defenders and give our press purpose. Rarely in the penalty area. Overall - simply not producing.

Would be playing itten Thursday and roofe next weekend if available.
You do know that the front three were supposed to let the celtic cbs have the ball? Our team executed a game plan perfectly. One of Celtic players has admitted as much.

Performance was meh, started off ok but fell into his petulant ways i.e slapping the legoman, a wee kick out at duffy i think.
A shadow of the player he was a year ago.

Hmmm. He was very obviously playing a different role. Sit deep, let their CBs have it.

Neil McCann highlighted how well he (and Kent and Barker) held their positions and thus team shape, through the whole match.

It was arguably AM’s most mature performance against that lot.

Oh and ‘getting involved’? Give me that any day over Martin, Murphy et al meekly accepting bring bitch slapped in these games. We need bastards.

He was poor, getting involved in countless incidents he didn’t have too, going in late, aiming wee fly kicks, slapping Brown, if Beaton had sent him off he would have been labelled an absolute liability again.

It would be nice for a Rangers striker to actually score against the mhanks you know, what is it now 13 or 14 games?

He never looked like scoring again yesterday and wasn’t threatening at all.
dont agree with you m8

Be nice if Gerrard received half of the fee to invest.10 weeks for Morelos to earn a move and 10 weeks for Wilson, Gerrard and his team to find some genuine quality. It's all exciting

Unfortunately I can’t see us getting the same money for him.

I think we’ve seen the best of Morelos

But he didn't get sent off and did nothing that would have warranted that.

While it's funny that he slapped Brown, on another day that could have been a red for raising you're hands, deep down you know that. It was funny today, but we'd have won with 8 men nevermind 10. When the margins are closer it won't be taken as lightly.

Once Roofe gets himself fit and up to speed again, I think Alfie will be back on the bench.

I’m a big fan of Morelos and been one of his biggest defenders with all the shit he’s had to endure, but he gave me the fear yesterday towards the end of the first half. If he hasn’t sussed by now that the likes of Brown, Duffy etc will try to provoke him into reacting (and inevitably be the one who gets singled out and punished for it), then he never will.

Hmmm. He was very obviously playing a different role. Sit deep, let their CBs have it.

Neil McCann highlighted how well he (and Kent and Barker) held their positions and thus team shape, through the whole match.

Oh and ‘getting involved’? Give me that any day over Martin, Murphy et al meekly accepting bring bitch slapped in these games. We need bastards.
Spot on, but people don't want to hear it, they wanted him sold and are still upset he wasn't.

I wish we had sold him

As do I.

I think the fact that only one club came near our perfectly reasonable valuation of Morelos should have alarm bells ringing for Morelos and his agent.

He should be asking himself why clubs won't go no near him.

If he continues in this form, i don't think there's a hope in hell we'll even get another bid to match Lille's.

this this crap being spouted again he looks unfit. cmon to %^*& guys he plays for glasgow Rangers. do you really believe the guy is unfit..

We have a player who’s sole contribution in old firm games now seems to be winding the opposition up, and it seems to be ok with a lot of punters because the mhanks hate him and we won yesterday, therefore it doesn’t matter that our main striker isn’t a threat and can’t score against our biggest rivals?

A lot of the good play that people are describing is the least I’d expect of a rangers striker. I want much more than what he gave yesterday, and I’m not going to apologise for that. He wants a move to the EPL, then starting playing like an EPL player.

After travelling back from Chile 24 hours I'm surprised he made the game from the start never might playing nearly the full game.
I think a lot of our support underestimate the influence and players he ties up in a game, just wish he had plonked one in against them, maybe next time.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.
Agree with you 100%, The tactics have changed, his role has changed, and I'm surprised some people don't recognise it. Or maybe I'm not surprised as you need to watch The Rangers to see it

Opening 15 I thought he looked to be up for it.

After that he faded away big time and was more interested in fouling and getting involved in nonsense

That said, he played a lovely pass in the lead up to the second goal and had Brown and Duffy riled

We badly need him to get back to his form of 2019 but sadly there’s no real signs of that happening anytime soon
That's exactly my take on it too. And as has been said elsewhere on this thread already, he is sloppy now (where he wasn't previously) and if he is to be our main striker, he is going to have to start scoring goals.

He was embarrassing the last 5 minutes of the first half in all honesty , there was absolute no need for him to be acting the way he was when we were cruising in the match.

Last edited:
Agree with you 100%, The tactics have changed, his role has changed, and I'm surprised some people don't recognise it. Or maybe I'm not surprised as you need to watch The Rangers to see it
A change in tactics does not excuse a sloppy first touch and poor passing which has been constant now with him.

Its not a huge issue just now because we are playing well but we could be so much better going forward, especially once Roofe and Aribo are back and hopefully Morelos gets better as the season goes on.

Last edited:
Thought he played pretty well overall but I wish he'd stop all the nonsense and deliberate fouls. Some of his link up play was really good but he also played some slack passes, one of which resulted in the mcgregor chance that goldson had to block.

Personally I'm very grateful he's still here given Roofe's current injury and general concerns about keeping him fit for a season.

He was VERY lucky to stay on the pitch. Had Brown chosen to go down during Slapheadgate Morelos would have been off. It was only a cheeky slap, nothing in it at all, but Morelos can't be doing that whilse he's a marked man.

His link up play, once again, was top notch. Exciting season ahead for him as the goals will return.

Morelos is in the middle of a form slump. Thats reality. A striker whos goals have dried up. Gives the ball away in open play Player who has been asked to 'cool it' but still gambles on scottish referees.
Some will say it doesnt matter where the goals come from but you need a centre who looks capable of doing that consistently.
The true measure of him should be the goal count not this ' he ties up defenders' thing.
Yesterday was easy, but we need to build on it. Frankly we'll have harder games at other venues - thats where we'll need a goalscorer.

Was it petty? Yes
Was it a red card? No
Was he on a card? No
Do you think Stevie knows what his players are like? Yes
So if he’s that much of a liability why the feck does he kept getting picked by the manager even when the squad is full strength ?
I agree it wasnt a red card but can we trust refs in this coutry no? Was he charging about like a bull for the last 5 minutes of the first half yes. Striker wise we're not at full strength roofe has been out for weeks and itten is still bedding in. Like I said when he concentrated on the game he had a positive impact on the second goal. Like I said in another post both Alfredo and there striker struggled to hold the ball up yesterday our midfield took advantage of that there's didn't. Hes still a bit to go until hes the alfredo the first half if last season

Last edited:
That's my main criticism of him at the moment. I don't feel like he's the type of player who should be dropping back like he has, his passing just isn't good enough for the tactic. He struggles with the intricate, fast passing that we try to implement at times.

Needs to be our focal point in attack, when he did that yesterday he harassed their backline and gave them a lot to think about.

That’s absolute rubbish. He sets up a substantial number of attacks from his lay offs when he’s playing deep and always pulls defenders from their positions when they follow him around. He’s also well able to play his part in intricate play as was shown in our second goal. There’s plenty examples of how he’s been doing that all season.
Just like you, I would like him to be more around the penalty box but I guess Gerrard is perfectly happy where he is playing otherwise he’d soon be told to get up the park. There was one very bad pass he made yesterday which allowed Brown to stop what was a promising attack but then again all players are capable of messing it up from time to time. Other than that one I cannot recall any other bad passes he made.
By the way, there are plenty others in the team who are well able to score as we witness on a weekly basis. Morelos takes far too much stick on here from some folk.

There are two ways to look at his performance yesterday.

He didn't play very well a striker.

He played the role of the most advanced front man brilliantly.

There's a difference between the two, he has the energy, strength and threat to be an utter pain in the arse to mark, to leave alone which makes him dangerous as he can flit into that striker role. With the pace of barker and skill of Kent, it was a very well laid out team with morelos not playing that deadly striker role we like. He did his job

He gave away a couple of really cheap balls in the second half within a short space of time, that is the only thing that stuck out for me watching the game he got wrong. Haven't watched the game back mind you.

I thought he had a good game. Really working for the team, not just for himself. I like the new way he is playing.

If he can add goals to it, he will be a much more complete striker than he was with just the goals. I know that sounds a bit daft, strikers score goals, but you know what i mean.

I thought he was OK, kept their defence busy and linkednup with Arfield. Barker was a passenger and Morelos not at his best, yet we still dominated them, which is a huge positive.

I get the impression that Roofe is now our first choice striker anyway.

I thought he linked the play well, nice touches and one-twos but.......if he’s going to be our main striker he’s going to have to start scoring goals. Pretty simple.

Spot on, without goals no team can continue to play their main striker, it is after all the reason they are there.

Once Roofe is fit does SG play with both him and Alfie or is it just one from the two.

The one thing we cannot overlook is the simple fact that without goals Alfies value decreases alarmingly. I wonder if our Board already think they made a mistake in turning down Lille's £16m offer for our highest paid player. The only way that kind of fee is going to be offered once more is if we get him scoring big time again and that won't happen if he is sitting on the bench.

No doubt in my mind that SG has a dilemma on how to proceed with our misfiring star.

I thought he was really poor again.

Couldn’t hold the ball up, his passing was shocking and didn’t do anything effective.

I miss our old Alfie and i can’t see him ever scoring against that lot.

We need to play with a centre forward who scores goals, we need a man who steps up in big games, McCoist style.
I do not get people's obsession with him. Id have him as 4th choice striker.
We have a real chance here and no room for Prima Donna's.

Back