Morelos Performance

Mixed bag but wasn't terrible or anything.

He's still off where he was. Morelos of August to January last year probably scores against them yesterday.

He did give the ball away alot but that will happen when trying to make things happen. I was more bothered that he spent so much time on the wing or playing deep and definitely not bursting a gut to get in the box when we were on the attack. If that is deliberate from instruction the I don't think we're playing to his strength. But I'm an armchair fan and the guy that matters has turned us into a team of winners so what do I know

A fit Roofe and Aribo in place of Morelos and Barker yesterday and we’d have won that by four or five IMO.

Barker was our main problem yesterday. Alfie for any faults, has the ability and game awareness.

Roofe or Aribo yesterday and we'd have cut them open at will.

The positions Morelos took up at times were not what us, the Fans, historically want to see of a Centre Forward.
He won't score from the wings or deep. By doing so he was linking up play and dragging Duffy and his cohorts all out of position for us to exploit.
Maybe that was tactics Mr Gerard was wanting him to do. If it was then it worked. We pissed them all over the park and if you need reminding we won 2-0

As a striker if you don’t score goals you need to bring other things!! He created chances, he occupied there back 3, in theory they should have 2 CB able to come out with ball. I think I counted twice all game they came out that way. If this was Roofe FF would be full of praise for him.

yes his slap was stupid, but how many kicks has brown and others done. We need to be wise and he didn’t get sent off so. Before Kent’s punch brown flicked his neck, FF said admire that

He should have been taken off at half time.
I would have taken him and Barker off on 60 minutes. But I thought Morelos had an okay game, nothing more. I want my only striker to be getting into goalscoring positions and ideally scoring, not playing deep. Needs to start scoring soon and regularly or he should be benched for a while.

I jumped into the match thread at half time yesterday and see he was getting slated, not just for his 'naughtiness' (that's what it is when any non-Rangers players does it right?) but for his all round play and at the time I thought he was actually playing decent.

Watched the game back and I stick by that, although I am sure many will disagree.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.
Agree. He was heavily involved in both goals.

First goal, he took ball in turned and laid off Kent then got in behind for him. Then him and Goldson work together to create space for the goal.

Second goal, he has the one two with Arfield.

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say buff was one of our better players, simply because he was involved in everything, build up, link up, he worked hard and tracked back. He was selfless at times when coke in from the right, getting the ball across. And he wasn’t scared to put the boot in when required. And when Lego tried to noise him up, he shouldn’t really have reacted but he wasn’t being aggressive towards him, but the fraudulent captain tried his best to get the wee man sent off, his best wasn’t enough. When he scudded duffer with his elbow into the ribs. I was delighted with that because he was showing he wasn’t to be bullied.
The wee man needs to score goals, but his general play at times is excellent still. Above average game for me and I’m happy with that. He gets a goal and he rips them to shreds, so he needs that monkey off his back soon.

Last edited:
I think it’s clear that he’s being asked to fulfil a certain role in terms of coming deep and linking more with the midfield, which he is doing better.

However, I think the management are still expecting him to transition in the game into space where he is capable of scoring and that’s what he is missing.

If he’s never in and around the box, he’s going to find it hard to reach the net.

I don't think either Barker or Morelos had particularly good games yesterday. Barker for the most part looked like a fish out of water. Morelos was wasteful in possession on a number of occassions and then was more interested in niggles with Duffy and Brown. Rightfully hooked after his yellow.

He still put himself about and gave them problems. He's far from his best just now.

You are allowed to discuss this.

There are two ways to look at his performance yesterday.

He didn't play very well a striker.

He played the role of the most advanced front man brilliantly.

There's a difference between the two, he has the energy, strength and threat to be an utter pain in the arse to mark, to leave alone which makes him dangerous as he can flit into that striker role. With the pace of barker and skill of Kent, it was a very well laid out team with morelos not playing that deadly striker role we like. He did his job

At last somebody seeing it for what is is.
His role at Pittodrie, Easter Rd, Fir Park and now the Midden he’s maybe listed as the main striker, however the tactics dictate otherwise.
As a team we have learned how to play awkward away venues.
He deserves criticism over his home form but he’s doing what’s asked of him away.

I would have taken him and Barker off on 60 minutes. But I thought Morelos had an okay game, nothing more. I want my only striker to be getting into goalscoring positions and ideally scoring, not playing deep. Needs to start scoring soon and regularly or he should be benched for a while.
He wasn't at his best. Too many slack passes and his slap at Broon was just mental.

Something needs to happen to get him back on track.

I jumped into the match thread at half time yesterday and see he was getting slated, not just for his 'naughtiness' (that's what it is when any non-Rangers players does it right?) but for his all round play and at the time I thought he was actually playing decent.

Watched the game back and I stick by that, although I am sure many will disagree.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.
I’ll need to watch it back but at the time I thought he had a really good 1st 25 mins and then as soon as he got involved with their moron of a captain his own game suffered.

We are a calm, precise team at our best. His best stuff is often instinctive. He’s definitely having to play a bit differently but I don’t think it comes naturally to him. He needs to be fully concentrated to do it and I don’t think he was for periods yesterday.

Are we expecting ‘the slap’ to be reported to the compliance officer? Three match ban on the horizon?

came really deep one time our midfield 3 were in front of him. They did not know how to handle.

Total mixed bag yesterday, sometimes his link up play was great then extremed over to couldn't find a pass. Good to see the angry type Morelos but it's sad when he has to be subbed to keep 11 on the park. He's an enigma at the moment

He should have been taken off at half time.
He wasn't at his best. Too many slack passes and his slap at Broon was just mental.

Something needs to happen to get him back on track.
Agreed. I’d start Itten v Livi. We can see that guy can finish, but he needs games.

A few good moves broke down at him which is annoying.
His antics with brown again and duff were stupid, again.

Cut out the shit Alfie please.

I thought he was playing really well until he began getting involved with Brown. Then his ball retention, passing and temper went down hill.

In my opinion, a fully fit Roofe and morelos doesn't play

Once again, Morelos is more interested in getting involved in personal battles/trying noise up the opposition than playing his own game

Compare and contrast with his attitude against Celtic in the cup final last year when he ripped them to shreds and done everything but score

Gerrard has a decision to make going forward, he’s a liability against Celtic and on another day he’s sent off for an accumulation of tackles/slapping brown. He’s got a mental block against Celtic and he’ll not get rid of it until he scores against then

He bothered them and was part of the winning side so he contributed, his link up play was decent at times but they were few and far between, his strength yesterday was that he was pissing them off and they were focused on him.

Big Ced when he came on also done well in his short time and gave the bheast defence something else to think about it.
What exactly did ‘big Ced’ do when he came on ? He touched the ball twice and lost possession twice !!!

That's my main criticism of him at the moment. I don't feel like he's the type of player who should be dropping back like he has, his passing just isn't good enough for the tactic. He struggles with the intricate, fast passing that we try to implement at times.

He had no problem with it yesterday and directly contributed to one of our goals by doing so.

He was decent I thought. Sometimes tries to do the hard flick/pass when he really shouldn't as they are 50/50 at best.

The big worry is he no longer plays facing goal and on the shoulder of the last man plus he isn't getting on the end of things either. Why would he change the way he is playing if it has been so successful for us in past seasons??

Stop talking sense.

Morelos’s reading of the game is excellent, he can open the play up well and is capable of very accurate cross field passes.

He’s clearly playing a different role and is much more of a team player than being the main man.

By dropping deeper there’s more space for others and he also presents a barrier for the opposition centre backs should they wish to play out from the back.

There were moments when he looked like boiling over and the slap on Brown could have caused him problems on another day.

He looks focused and committed and celebrated the goals as heartily as anyone.

It’s not been vintage Morelos so far this season but he’s certainly effective in the way we are now playing

Simply doesn't look like scoring. He is barely a threat. We were playing better stuff in the final third when he wasn't in the team.

12-18 months ago we were depending on him. Now, he is probably the weak link in the team.

Looking forward to getting Roofe back.

His link-up play was excellent once again. Watch the highlights.....Involved in EVERYTHING we had good going forward. He gave it away once but apart from that, it was top notch. Their defenders struggled against him, particularly Duffy, he was getting right under their skin. I think those slating him have never played football to any standard before. We would all love him to score against them but he is playing for the team right now, that's why Gerrard is starting him every game and he knows more about football than all of us combined.

Yep until he gets sent off, then you'd be crying about him. He can't be trusted. Like I said he started really well, but after his misplaced pass he seemed to slip back to his usual nonsense.

And it could have got him a staunch red card. Don’t get me wrong, the video is class but it, along with other moments once again put his team mates in danger of playing with 10 men.

For 25 mins I thought he was excellent. Then he did his usual and got caught up in personal battles and giving the ball away.

Not good enough from me and not enough change.

This place is full of lunatics who actually see themselves as tactical geniuses.

None of us were actually at the game to see the entire picture. We seen what the cameras showed us, following the ball. Football is not all about what you do on the ball, it is all the unselfish running creating space but keeping a shape.

All this nonsense of Roofe and Aribo in for Morelos and Barker and we would have taken 4 or 5 off them is exactly that nonsense.

We strolled it at 2 nil playing within ourselves as we have another big game on Thursday. No one was a 9 out of 10 if you analyse everyone most were individually a 7 out of 10 but the team performance was as close to perfect as you will get going there.

Morelos never played as a number 9, he dragged their defence where we wanted them to be. Regardless of your opinion on Barker anyone who has played football at any level knows up against someone with his pace you have to sit deeper. Him just being on the pitch creates space for others.

Almost a perfect team performance yet some still want to slate our players. Mental.

He was like a lightning rod. They spent the whole game focussed on him. And then when he started winding them up, they lost their heads even more and stopped trying to play (did they start?) and focus on getting him back.

He really enjoys pulling the defence out of position right now by running about free roam instead of being that central striker. He had a horror pass that gave them a lifeline though.

As a striker if you don’t score goals you need to bring other things!! He created chances, he occupied there back 3, in theory they should have 2 CB able to come out with ball. I think I counted twice all game they came out that way. If this was Roofe FF would be full of praise for him.

yes his slap was stupid, but how many kicks has brown and others done. We need to be wise and he didn’t get sent off so. Before Kent’s punch brown flicked his neck, FF said admire that
I was thinking just this last night, after all calmed down.

He distracted their DM and defence, it didn't get him on the score sheet as you say, but it tilted things in our favour in their last third.

He’s lucky he wasn’t sent off for slapping Brown this kind of stuff needs to be cut out of his game, I hope the Management team have a word with him as it would have resulted in another ban.

It was a strange game from him. For the first half hour he looked like he was trying to cover every blade of grass. I do agree with others on the thread, I thought some of his hold up play was excellent. He also annoyed the Celtic defence. There were parts of the match where I wondered if Morelos was playing out on the left and Barker was through the middle. If he was playing through the middle, he’ll be disappointed at not having had a single chance.

All in all a weird game from him yesterday.

He made a nuisance of himself yesterday which is one of the things we want to see. However he way off the Alfie of last year and he clearly will never understand the need for discipline in these type of games.

Tbh I laughed like fcuk at the expression on Brown’s kisser when Alfie clipped him round the ear but really it’s not on.

Back