Morelos Performance

Overall he was poor and lost the head a bit yet again.

He does really, really annoy that lot though so that's funny.

I liked the fact he was leaving a wee bit in after the challenges. That prick brown has been getting away with it for years.You could see the mentally challengeds getting wound up to %^*& after every challenge Alfie made.

I jumped into the match thread at half time yesterday and see he was getting slated, not just for his 'naughtiness' (that's what it is when any non-Rangers players does it right?) but for his all round play and at the time I thought he was actually playing decent.

Watched the game back and I stick by that, although I am sure many will disagree.

He definitely isn't playing the same type of role as the last couple of seasons but some of his link up play was really good. Dropping back and making clever (and accurate) passes out wide to open up space, making decent runs out wide himself and always being available.

It isn't the Morelos we are used to and he can still give a lot more but I think he was better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

And for all his 'naughtiness' he definitely had Brown and Duffy wound up. Duffy's reaction should have been a red in my opinion and if it was Morelos that had reacted that way it would almost certainly have been.
He did alright. On watching the highlights back he did better than I thought at the time. Did well winding them up but another day he’d pick up a stupid early booking.

How deep he drops now compared to last season shows just how different a role he’s playing now. His link up play yesterday was good, had the 1-2 with arfield before the second goal. He’s playing the firmino role a lot more this season and that’s one of the reasons why he’s not getting as many goalscoring opportunities this season.

I noticed he was having wee digs at Broon and a few others but I just wonder what these morons are saying to him for him to react so it's never all one sided and I know it frustrates me too but I am sure Stevie has had a word with him again but I still love the wee mad dog.

How deep he drops now compared to last season shows just how different a role he’s playing now. His link up play yesterday was good, had the 1-2 with arfield before the second goal. He’s playing the firmino role a lot more this season and that’s one of the reasons why he’s not getting as many goalscoring opportunities this season.

I think that’s true Chris, however I’ve been one of his biggest supporters when some on here wanted him sold 18 months ago & he definitely lacks that edge & extra yard he had mate.

So poor he played his part in the 2nd goal
And the first...wins the ball in the middle of the pitch and plays the pass to Kent for the free kick. Small things but got us two goals. Gerrard spoke about the small margins being the difference at the start of the match.

I've said this before but too many of us have been swayed by the Morelos hating media in this country. Brown raises his hands to Barisic right after the Morelos incident but that goes unnoticed. Why no mention of Brown being sent off? Because Morelos is highlighted by Sky/BBC and it's a talking point for everyone. I bet 95% on here didn't even notice the Brown incident because we are so upset with Morelos. Barisic complains and is holding his nose after it. It's time to highlight them and not our players, we are doing the media's job for them.

He was good at the start then slipped in to the usual making a lady's front bottom of himself, sick of him.
I’m sick of you posting the same shite on thread after thread about him.

Every single time, do you have the repetitive posts saved and notifications on your phone for a Morelos thread to be started?

Second half yesterday he worked his arse off and occupied their whole back line while trying to link up. You clearly aren’t able or unwilling to see this.

You think that was a red card TTB ?

Silly yes, but surely not a red ?
I think if Beaton had seen it he would have been sent off Grigo , look at Kent in pre season he got carded sent off for less. Alfie effectively lifted his hands to him but got away with it or maybe the compliance officer will change that I just thought at the time it was stupid and needs to get this stuff out of his game.

Unfortunately I can’t see us getting the same money for him.

I think we’ve seen the best of Morelos
I don't think he will be drop lower than the €16m mark Lille were anyallegedly in for. Good money for Gerrard to play with, if we can somehow get a tune out of him then we will have more money to play with

You’re right that he’s our main striker, but ‘on form’ is the key bit. He hasn’t had form since December. Even allowing for the shutdown that’s still a long while ago.
Yesterday was just a typical 2020 performance from him.Frankly if Roofe gets fit and scoring Morelos should have a spell on the bench.

Like the rest of the team, he did everything he was asked to do yesterday. Dispossessed Duffy early on and he didn't recover composure for the rest of the game (he's a shambles of a centre half by the way).

He linked the play well, worked his bollocks off and was integral to the second goal.

Excellent performance.

The slap on Brown was absolutely nothing in comparison to what Brown has been getting away with for years.

Every single time, do you have the repetitive posts saved and notifications on your phone for a Morelos thread to be started?

Second half yesterday he worked his arse off and occupied their whole back line while trying to link up. You’re clearly aren’t able or unwilling to see this.
Think he missed the part of occupying 3 defenders himself, including EPL level Duffy and the next Baresi. Ran behind the channels, doubled up on their wing backs and dropped in to stifle Lego muncher. People just don't rate him but sadly it just comes across as personal rather than judged on his actual game

Last edited:

Second half yesterday he worked his arse off and occupied their whole back line while trying to link up. You clearly aren’t able or unwilling to see this.
The ignore button is great and you will feel all the better for it.

What exactly did ‘big Ced’ do when he came on ? He touched the ball twice and lost possession twice !!!
What exactly did ‘big Ced’ do when he came on ? He touched the ball twice and lost possession twice !!!
part of a winning team at the piggery, what part of that upsets you ?

It's amazing how some people just want to criticise, we just beat the scum at least enjoy yourself for a few hours before becoming the usual moaning faced weirdos

it's amazing people come onto a football discussion board but dont want discussions on players, etc

He appears to be doing exactly what the management asks of him, we also are no longer physically intimidated by them a lot of which is down to Alfie, I would add Helander and Arfield to the no shit takers list it really is noticeable the difference Helander makes against them, also Arfield against Broon is a mismatch.

Alfie is playing a different role now, do you think he goes on to the pitch and just does what he wants, if that was the case do you think he would be starting ?. He is playing in positions how the management want him to play. The opposition still see him as our main goal threat and that causes confusion and opens the door for others as we have seen.also he owned their two so called hard men yesterday brown and duffy and made them look like schoolboys.

I thought he had an effective game yesterday. He done nothing spectacular, but as mentioned previously, his role seems to have changed this season. I was a bit concerned about him just before half time as he seemed to have went starry eyed. But he came out composed in the second half (credit to him and the manager). He was rightly substituted immediately after his booking, but he'd already played his part in a fantastic win by that stage.

I think Alfie is a bit like a Tav last season where people can only see what he's not done, but fail to see what he has done. I think he's had a solid start to the season in his new role. He seems to be playing "between the lines" and making space available behind him, while worrying the defence at the same time by being a goal threat. As long as the team are scoring goals and winning games I don't really care who's scoring them.

I think if Beaton had seen it he would have been sent off Grigo , look at Kent in pre season he got carded sent off for less. Alfie effectively lifted his hands to him but got away with it or maybe the compliance officer will change that I just thought at the time it was stupid and needs to get this stuff out of his game.

I don’t deny it was stupid mate.

I just don’t think it was a red, as he never struck his face.’

Edouard at Kilmarnock struck the Killie defender on the face with both hands & the ref ignored it despite the linesman pointing it out to him.

Id have been severely pissed off if that was a red.

i actually think he did what he was asked to do by Gerrard fill the hole in the lines between their def and mid so they need to go wide the then go up the line and we shut them down.

its part of how we play and have done but this year he has been dropping deeper to suck their def out of shape for runners in behind. And switch play i think some would be surprised at just how often he has been involved in goals we have scored this year even if its 2-4 passes before the actual goal.

the subtle little digs he had - was to wind brown up and Duffy fact they both got booked in the game shows in some way it probably worked.

is he firing on all cylinders no not yet i don't think but it will come he needs a goal or two and it will come.

he might get cited he might not but then there was challenges against him that were left unpunished with no foul awarded.

Thought he played well yesterday, coming deep and creating space.

His goal threat is lacking but I think that's purely down to how deep he is playing. Played a big part in build up to both goals though.

Stupidity doing what he did to lego muncher but it wasn't a red.

He’s lucky he wasn’t sent off for slapping Brown this kind of stuff needs to be cut out of his game, I hope the Management team have a word with him as it would have resulted in another ban.
He wasn’t lucky. He was silly for doing it but that was never a red card offence in a million years. It was a booking at worst.

Still shouldn’t have done it but it was never a sending off.

It was, but the instance he got booked, he was subbed and really think if it happened a lot earlier, he would have been subbed. He wasn't just roughing them up, he was making silly flicks and digs at them

Don’t disagree, and I was delighted that Gerrard got him off as soon as that happened.

Without Roofe, it’s difficult, as Itten needs more work on him at this stage to lead the line against that lot in my opinion.

I don’t deny it was stupid mate.

I just don’t think it was a red, as he never struck his face.’

Edouard at Kilmarnock struck the Killie defender on the face with both hands & the ref ignored it despite the linesman pointing it out to him.

Id have been severely pissed off if that was a red.
Brown was at it with Barasic after Alfie had slapped him.

He catches Barasic with his elbow and a few verbals were exchanged.

He wasn’t lucky. He was silly for doing it but that was never a red card offence in a million years. It was a booking at worst.

Still shouldn’t have done it but it was never a sending off.
It probably would have been a booking if Beaton had seen it. You can guarantee though he would still have left it on Duffy at the end on a booking or not and walked.

I thought he had a decent game, link up play was good and he has clearly been told to play a bit deeper. He is also looking for the pass a bit more than than he would have last year.

He defended from the front really well which I think is being forgotten about a bit.

For those saying he was poor, I didn’t think anyone was poor yesterday, Barker maybe struggled a bit.

I think the style / system / tactics we played yesterday was a bit different than we played when Alfie was not much more than a front man playing through the middle - it was in that role he scored most of his goals

The number of times yesterday he drifted out onto the wing or tracked back to cover & took on midfield & defensive duties wouldn't have happened nearly as much in the past

To expect him to score as often as he did while playing a different role is imo a bit unreasonable

FWIW I don't think Roofe - or Itten are any better at playing the front man the way Alfie does - but if our build up play & tactics don't need that role - then it doesn't really matter especially if the goals come from elsewhere- like yesterday

I love a player that winds everyone up including the fans, if the opposition are worrying about Alfie and trying to tease him then it leaves it for the others to do their thing, I personally think Alfie is having a good season football wise definitely not goal scoring wise but with Alfie being the main focus of everyone else’s attention others are scoring, like you op I thought he had a good game and I love seeing someone brave enough to do the things to Lego in the same way he’s been getting away with it for years.
his lack of goals does not show on his face when we have others scoring, take yesterday for example, watch it back and look at the delight on his face, he will always have that wee streak about him but as said, I’ll take that any day.
Phew sanity at last.

We moan that we don't have players that will do what other teams do to us, then we get one and we set about destroying him...some of our fans are mental.

I thought he was okay yesterday. The weak link in the front three was clearly Barker.

The management team deserve credit for making the team less focused on Morelos. I do think he's lost his edge in possession, but he's working the channels, dropping deep to try to create space and being less selfish with his play. As long as we have other players getting in threatening positions then we'll keep scoring.

He was a a pest all day and put himself about abit but I think it's now time to give Itten a run in the team and obviously Roofe we he gets back.

I think that’s true Chris, however I’ve been one of his biggest supporters when some on here wanted him sold 18 months ago & he definitely lacks that edge & extra yard he had mate.
Definitely, but I think some of that is to do with playing and learning a new role up front, ie the false 9 role. But yes he does seem to be missing a little of what he was last year which is a mixture of learning a new role and a drop in form.

I'm going to take a positive from it, although I'm not happy with his carry on with brown. To the man in the street, it's a nothing. The way football is now, you just need to lift your hands and it can have you off.

On the other hand, if he gets his goalscoring touch back, then it will be like a new signing.

He was told to go wide and drop deep. You could see the players telling him to do so during the game. He obviously did what he was asked to do. He dragged them out and let Kent, Tav & Borna get inside them. I thought he played well

I think the style / system / tactics we played yesterday was a bit different than we played when Alfie was not much more than a front man playing through the middle - it was in that role he scored most of his goals

The number of times yesterday he drifted out onto the wing or tracked back to cover & took on midfield & defensive duties wouldn't have happened nearly as much in the past

To expect him to score as often as he did while playing a different role is imo a bit unreasonable

FWIW I don't think Roofe - or Itten are any better at playing the front man the way Alfie does - but if our build up play & tactics don't need that role - then it doesn't really matter especially if the goals come from elsewhere- like yesterday
We were far to reliant on his goals, so have adapted how we play and its worked a treat so far. Even yesterday we changed it up, Tav and Borna were deeper to draw out their wing backs and let the likes of Morelos go find the space. He was up top as well against 3 big centre halves, by coming deeper it left those 3 donkeys at a loss at what to do.

We have so many options for a front 3 now that we can change it up. There will still be times where we will need Morelos to go bully a back line like he is good at, it's just not our only tactic any more.

Definitely, but I think some of that is to do with playing and learning a new role up front, ie the false 9 role. But yes he does seem to be missing a little of what he was last year which is a mixture of learning a new role and a drop in form.

Totally agree mate.

It’s easy for many to criticise but right now we have Roofe, Itten & Defoe as alternatives.

Roofe is already injured & Itten is work in progress, while Jermain just isn’t capable of leading the line when the ball is rarely in the box.

Alfie needs to get back to his best, but there’s no question he was the right choice yesterday.

I think he's living on last years form for a lot of bears who are just desperately clinging onto anything he does right to justify his poor performances as better than they are. He offers now, not much more than Sebo offered against the Tiags. Runs about and ruffles feathers.

Fair enough if that's all you want. To act like he is anything close to the player he was last year, is folly.

He gives the ball away a lot and makes bad decisions regularly and has been very poor Infront of goal.

He should be back on the bench when Roofe is fit, Roofe offers far more than this 2020 version of Morelos.

Last edited:
His role in the team is evolving,he's not the Alfie who batters CB's anymore,playing the role Firmino plays at Liverpool.
I loved his battering ram style but we were too reliant on him,maybe this more fluid style will suit us better over the season?

Those with entrenched views won’t change them regardless of what they see on the field.

Most the online fan base didn’t realise what a good players Hutton was until just before he left because they were far to slow to change their first and heavily invested opinion. It’s nothing new.

Some fans have decided he is crap and a liability and so now he is crap and a liability until he goes. Doesn’t matter what he does.

Last edited:
Back