Morelos says ‘as soon as there is something official I will be announcing it’ with ‘many’ clubs interested

I'll be very sorry too see Alfie go but the sort of transfer fee he can command makes it difficult to see him staying. With Jermain Defoe proving that he can score goals, I'm less worried than I was but we will need to reinvest some of Alfie's transfer fee in a replacement - Mark Hately mark II would be ideal.

My prediction is that he will go to Spain, largely because the language and lifestyle would make his transition that much easier. I have no idea how much we'll get for him but a bidding war sound good.

Hopefully there’s a bidding war, get a sell on clause as well. I like Morelos but I wish him all the best in his career and if he puts his mind to it he’ll go far.

I'm in a position now where i'd be more gutted to lose Tav than I would be Morelos. I think we play better as a team without Alfie in it, whereas when he was in the team, our tactic was to get the ball to Morelos and expect him to work miracles. Sometimes he did, but when he didn't, we were totally ineffective.

Getting Andre Gray on loan, Kent permanently and another couple of Premier League quality players would make it a good bit of business to sell Morelos.

There's no doubt he's been our best striker since Jelavic and by some distance, but all things considered, it's an absolute no brainer to move him on in the summer for big money. Very important that we put a decent sell-on clause in. If he moves to England and has a decent season, his next move will be £30M+

I feel the same. It's crucial we keep Tav unless we get a ridiculous bid.

10m or under is just not going to cut it.

I dread thinking about trying to replace Tav, no chance we are getting another RB in who can deliver those sort of stats and more importantly performances.

I think Alfredo is in for a big disappointment if he moves to a 'bigger league', because it will almost certainly be with a smaller club than Rangers.

At his age, he should be trying to win things with us, and sampling more European football, before moving to a big club in a bigger league in his mid 20's.

When he gets to this big league he dreams of, he'll be winning fūck all trophies, and he'll be scoring a lot less goals as well I'd imagine.

The grass isn't always blue-er wee man.
Pro footballers are in the game for ££££., trophies are a wee bonus. Morelos has already said his earnings in football will change his whole families life. He is now in the business of getting as much per week as he can get as quickly as he can get it. He is only one bad tackle away from career over and is not prepared to take the risk of hanging about here for longer than he has too.

Will be sorry to see him leave. Would have like him to stay for 55 next season. All the best to him when he does leave.

If red cards were part of a players value, Sergio Ramos would be worth a fiver.

What happens in this backwards league has little bearing on a players value when his ability is the consideration.
Every club looking at him will take the red cards into consideration, it would be stupid not to. And the idea that he won't be targeted by other players in other leagues (like Brown did) is also stupid so he will definitely have to work on his issues if he is to have the best career possible.

I’m not a fan of him talking publicly about wanting to leave for bigger and better things to be honest. He’s been extremely well looked after by the club both financially and with protection and support with his disciplinary issues. Maybe I’m old fashioned but in my opinion this should be done quietly in the background.

Good luck to him, I just don’t like it when footballers do this. I think it’s a bit disrespectful.

I’m not a fan of him talking publicly about wanting to leave for bigger and better things to be honest. He’s been extremely well looked after by the club both financially and with protection and support with his disciplinary issues. Maybe I’m old fashioned but in my opinion this should be done quietly in the background.

Good luck to him, I just don’t like it when footballers do this. I think it’s a bit disrespectful.
He's been honest about his intentions from the day he signed for the club. His dream is to play in the EPL. There is nothing wrong with him being open about his ambitions.

Modern day social media mate

Ive seen a lot of smashing strikers over the years, that have scored more goals than 29 in a season.
And we always seem to come up with the goods; and manage to replace them, and get positive results in the process.
So i wouldn't worry too much about losing Alfredo, as like most players, he can be replaced by a similar or a better player, that will honour the blue jersey.
We've barely had any strikers score more than 29 in a season this century. Boyd on 31 is the record (this century) I believe although Miller would have broken that had he not gone to Turkey.

I'd counter that it's not Morelos' fault that he's so good that the team over-relied on him - that's the fault of other players, not Morelos.

There were too many cowards in the team when it actually mattered, all too happy to shift responsibility to Alfie. To down play the significance of games being dead rubber is just daft, it’s a huge factor. If we were to start next season with exactly the same team people would get a rude awakening, not saying we’d tank, but we’d drop points again and it wouldn’t be a walk in the park.

People are just so easily swayed on here. A few defeats, end of the world, sack them all. Few wins, aye hunky dory we’re on our way, we’re better without that guy anyway.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4245019/alfredo-morelos-transfer-official/

The 29-goal Colombian striker is expected to leave Ibrox this summer and says there are many clubs interested in his services
ALFREDO MORELOS has revealed he dreams of playing in a 'more competitive league' but has stressed he remains focused with Rangers.
The Colombian striker is on the hunt for his 30th goal of the season on Sunday as Steven Gerrard's side travel to Kilmarnock for the last game of the league.

Alfredo Morelos is expected to leave Rangers this summer

Morelos has been relegated to the bench recently after returning from his four-game suspension due to the form of Jermain Defoe.

The game in Ayrshire could be his last in a Rangers shirt and he can expect a summer of speculation about his future.
And Morelos knows there is plenty of interest in his services.

He said: "There is a lot of speculation about my possible departure, but there is nothing concrete yet.
Morelos has been relegated to the bench in recent weeks following his poor discipline
"I know that there are many interested clubs asking and as soon as there is something official I will be announcing it.
"But I'm committed to Rangers just now. I've had a good season and many clubs are interested and hopefully everything will be done in the right way.

"I dream of playing in a much better, more competitive league.
"I look at the English Premier League and the Spanish League. The leagues in France and Italy are very big leagues too and very competitive.
"But I am very happy with what has been a great season with Rangers. I've scored a lot of goals and on Sunday I hope to end the season with another goal and be the top scorer in Scotland.
"I am really happy with everything that we have accomplished this year with Rangers. For me, it was an incredible season.
He has scored 29 goals this season

"I've scored nearly 30 goals and I also got an award from my fellow players too. Being recognised by them is one of the best moments of my career.
"Here in Glasgow I lead a very quiet life, the people here have welcomed me in the best way. It is a city with very welcoming people.

"The architecture is striking and there are many castles, it's very different from Colombia and it's a region with a lot of history.
"I have had a very good season with Rangers and God willing, I will be in the squad for the Copa America.
"That would bring me enormous happiness.
"I know there will be an initial list of 40 players and my hope is to get on that first and then make the final squad."

Goodbye ya mental wee bastard.

Control your temper and you will be a world beater, until then sadly cant be trusted.

There were too many cowards in the team when it actually mattered, all too happy to shift responsibility to Alfie. To down play the significance of games being dead rubber is just daft, it’s a huge factor. If we were to start next season with exactly the same team people would get a rude awakening, not saying we’d tank, but we’d drop points again and it wouldn’t be a walk in the park.

People are just so easily swayed on here. A few defeats, end of the world, sack them all. Few wins, aye hunky dory we’re on our way, we’re better without that guy anyway.
I'd disagree that it's a huge factor - people have a tendency to over-emphasize the importance of motivation/pressure/"bottle" - we are talking about professional athletes here. They're motivated to win every game they play. They give 100% every game because football is a meritocracy, and the ones who don't get bombed out and it affects their paycheck. Pressure and bottle make for good and fun narratives, but that's all it is.

Fact is, we were statistically overdue to put together a good winning run like that. If you average out our statistics over the season, we've been unlucky in the league. Our points total is on the low end of what a side with our goal difference should expect to achieve.

There are three things that influence the success of a league campaign IMO:
1. The wage bill of your squad
2. The system/tactics you deploy
3. Luck

On Number 1, we're at a disadvantage. Number 2, we seem to have recently figured out, and I'd trust Michael Beale to keep that going. Number 3, we simply didn't have, but is an inherently unstable variable.

I'd disagree that it's a huge factor - people have a tendency to over-emphasize the importance of motivation/pressure/"bottle" - we are talking about professional athletes here. They're motivated to win every game they play. They give 100% every game because football is a meritocracy, and the ones who don't get bombed out and it affects their paycheck. Pressure and bottle make for good and fun narratives, but that's all it is.

Fact is, we were statistically overdue to put together a good winning run like that. If you average out our statistics over the season, we've been unlucky in the league. Our points total is on the low end of what a side with our goal difference should expect to achieve.

There are three things that influence the success of a league campaign IMO:
1. The wage bill of your squad
2. The system/tactics you deploy
3. Luck

On Number 1, we're at a disadvantage. Number 2, we seem to have recently figured out, and I'd trust Michael Beale to keep that going. Number 3, we simply didn't have, but is an inherently unstable variable.

Last edited:
You need to go back to school.

He would need to go for 100 mill for us to get our 5 mill back.
15/20% of £100m is not £5m :)

Anyway on a side note ,are sell on percentages in transfer deals always of the total fee they are sold on for (seems to be generally reported as the case) or are they ever set to a percentage of the profit the club has made on the transfer?

Last edited:
Can’t agree mate. This is a dreadful league, when he goes elsewhere he’ll be playing against better players and earning more money. Winning the SPL or Scottish Cup isn’t a massive scalp unless you’re either one of us, or someone who’s ability determines that, that’s the maximum level they can hope to aim for. You’ve also got to factor in how he’s treated in this country, I’m sure he certainly won’t miss the trail by sportscene procedure and the mocking jibes from the press.

I think the competitive league thing is being taken completely wrongly by many on here. I don’t see it being him saying that Celtic always win. I see him saying that the rest of the league is weak and he wants to challenge himself against better players.

Can’t see much wrong with the assessment or the desire. Wish he’d stay with us for longer but the game now means that genuine talents will always leave Scotland for precisely this reason.

He's been honest about his intentions from the day he signed for the club. His dream is to play in the EPL. There is nothing wrong with him being open about his ambitions.

I realise that mate. Like I said perhaps I’m just old fashioned but it doesn’t sit well with me, particularly given how well we’ve rewarded him and protected him. I love Alfie, I just never like it when players talk like this in the media. Fair enough if we hadn’t looked after him and he was still on the same contract as when he first signed. We all know he’s ambitous and he’s given us 100%, I just don’t see the need for comments like this in the media.

Just sort your move behind the scenes, leave and thank the club for everything. Just my opinion!

It also may well be sanctioned by the club.

If you are a mid table Spanish or English club, hearing that there is already a bidding war may accelerate your interest...

Last edited:
I would be sad to see him go, but like we all know we have lost good strikers in the past and we have moved on and replaced them.

Sebo for example ;)

Any less than 15m and we have wasted a chance to cash in.

It also may well be sanctioned by the club.

You are a mid table Spanish or English club. Hearing that there is already a bidding war may accelerate your interest...

This is a fair point mate, I didn’t think of that. If it’s sanctioned by the club to maximise demand and transfer fee then I take it all back!

I can see him going to a mid-table EPL team. Let's face it if you can hack it at Rangers then you shouldn't have a problem playing in that league - it is fast and physical and those are two of Alfie's main strengths.

£15 million minimum but be disappointed if we take the 1st offer thrown our way as he is bound to be in high demand.

I think the competitive league thing is being taken completely wrongly by many on here. I don’t see it being him saying that Celtic always win. I see him saying that the rest of the league is weak and he wants to challenge himself against better players.

Can’t see much wrong with the assessment or the desire. Wish he’d stay with us for longer but the game now means that genuine talents will always leave Scotland for precisely this reason.

Whichever way you take it mate, he’s not wrong. As someone else said anyway, he’s been very honest about his ambitions from the start. He’s never been one to give the fans the faux “I love it here and want to say here forever” guff.

Nice to have a bit of honesty from players , good luck to him wherever he ends up. Rangers will be adequately compensated that’s all that matters to me.

All this talk of sell on clauses has got me curious. Does anyone know whether a standard sell on clause would be a percentage of the total fee the buying club receive for him in the future or whether it would be a percentage of the profit only?

I still have a wee bit hope that Morelos will stay and treat us to an absolute beast of a season before he goes - 40+ goals, much improved disciplinary record and a couple of trophies. But its looking increasingly unlikely
so 18 mil plus sell on would seem about fair. He would go with our best wishes and full support for the future, although a lingering regret that he was never able to really put the vermin to the sword in OF games.

Back