Morelos says his bookings are down to bad refereeing

uneasydaz

ALFREDO MORELOS has broken his silence on his poor disciplinary record and insists it’s because of his frustration at what he regards as bad decisions made by referees.

The Rangers striker celebrated his call-up for the Colombia team by netting his 29th goal of the season in a 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock.

But he was again in the spotlight after a half time clash with Kirk Broadfoot as the players were leaving the pitch.

The 22-year-old has been sent off four times this season – three times against Aberdeen and once against FC Ufa in the Europa League qualifiers.

He’s also been booked 29 times since he signed for Rangers in two seasons, but was never shown a red card for his previous clubs in his native Colombia with Independiente Medellin and Finland with HJK Helsinki.

And Morelos, in an interview in homeland publication El Tiempo, admits he’s baffled by some of the cards handed out to him.

He said: “The truth is that I have had several red cards in my career, but I think that’s been more because of the bad refereeing decisions that altered my temperament.

“I know that the referees also make mistakes too. Sometimes they make the wrong decision to take a card out on me needlessly.

“But that’s the way football is and I’ve got to accept it.

“Yes, I am aggressive on the pitch, but it’s manageable. I have to remain calm and there are many positive aspects for me at the moment.”

And Morelos admits he loves working with Gerrard, while again reiterating he wants to play in the English Premiership.

He said: “There are a lot of people watching me from other clubs, but now I have the Rangers in my head. Rangers and the national team – I am focused on them.

I’m only 22, maybe in five years who knows I might be with a much bigger team, hopefully in England because I am very ambitious.

“But I am very happy to work with Steven Gerrard. Day to day training is excellent.

“To have such a prominent figure, both for club and country – you have to take advantage of it.

“I have learned a lot from him and fortunately his feelings towards me have been positive and I am very happy with that.

“To get the call-up for my country was also very satisfying because I knew nothing about it. It’s made me very proud.”

And Morelos also praised his mother, after she was the subject of a distasteful banner from Aberdeen supporters in their recent Scottish Cup clash.

He said: “She is very proud and very happy for me.

“I promised her that one day I would play for the Colombia National Team and today I am fulfilling this beautiful dream for her.”

What the media in Scotland have done to Alfredo's reputation, and our hopeless referees is appalling. They invented a villain character for him, and referees couldn't fall for it fast enough. Liars and fools.
At least when Alfie is playing in England he won't have arseholes treating him like a troublemaker who must be put in his place. Scotland has far too many Rangers hating arseholes in positions where they can cause bother with their influence.

I’m only 22, maybe in five years who knows I might be with a much bigger team, hopefully in England because I am very ambitious.

It's all down to translation of course and the callowness of youth plus being a foreigner.

But when you're in your slippers and silk robe looking back on it all Alfie, your time at this club and the way the Rangers support adored you will always stand out.

Scotland the only country where your more likely to get booked for complaining to a referee, than taking a player out the game, take yesterday's game McGregor was the first person booked, although Kilmarnock players where taking our players down at every opportunity. If the ref produced cards early and lets them know it's not on, the game would be able to flow better and our player don't get as frustrated.

It's spot on. Refs are so so poor in Scotland. I can't imagine they're worse anywhere.

His comments on Gerrard are nice. I'm starting to think some of the players have a problem with him due to performances. The fact that a few of our players have previous for this with previous managers tells me they need sold in the next window. Undermining another manager can't be acceptable.

There has been a campaign by referees, media and others to paint Alfredo as some sort of feral Latin player and it is all done because they know he is a top player. When he leaves there will be a party at Pacific Quay.

ALFREDO MORELOS has broken his silence on his poor disciplinary record and insists it’s because of his frustration at what he regards as bad decisions made by referees.

The Rangers striker celebrated his call-up for the Colombia team by netting his 29th goal of the season in a 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock.

But he was again in the spotlight after a half time clash with Kirk Broadfoot as the players were leaving the pitch.

The 22-year-old has been sent off four times this season – three times against Aberdeen and once against FC Ufa in the Europa League qualifiers.

He’s also been booked 29 times since he signed for Rangers in two seasons, but was never shown a red card for his previous clubs in his native Colombia with Independiente Medellin and Finland with HJK Helsinki.

And Morelos, in an interview in homeland publication El Tiempo, admits he’s baffled by some of the cards handed out to him.

He said: “The truth is that I have had several red cards in my career, but I think that’s been more because of the bad refereeing decisions that altered my temperament.

“I know that the referees also make mistakes too. Sometimes they make the wrong decision to take a card out on me needlessly.

“But that’s the way football is and I’ve got to accept it.

“Yes, I am aggressive on the pitch, but it’s manageable. I have to remain calm and there are many positive aspects for me at the moment.”

And Morelos admits he loves working with Gerrard, while again reiterating he wants to play in the English Premiership.

He said: “There are a lot of people watching me from other clubs, but now I have the Rangers in my head. Rangers and the national team – I am focused on them.

“But I am very happy to work with Steven Gerrard. Day to day training is excellent.

“To have such a prominent figure, both for club and country – you have to take advantage of it.

“I have learned a lot from him and fortunately his feelings towards me have been positive and I am very happy with that.

“To get the call-up for my country was also very satisfying because I knew nothing about it. It’s made me very proud.”

And Morelos also praised his mother, after she was the subject of a distasteful banner from Aberdeen supporters in their recent Scottish Cup clash.

He said: “She is very proud and very happy for me.

“I promised her that one day I would play for the Colombia National Team and today I am fulfilling this beautiful dream for her.”

This is the most important part of the interview.

His disciplinary record in Europe isn't great either.

Hopefully with another season under his belt he won't see repeats of his dive on Tuesday night (in front of the Copland, before anyone jumps down my throat).

It's spot on. Refs are so so poor in Scotland. I can't imagine they're worse anywhere.

His comments on Gerrard are nice. I'm starting to think some of the players have a problem with him due to performances. The fact that a few of our players have previous for this with previous managers tells me they need sold in the next window. Undermining another manager can't be acceptable.

I agree re getting rid. One thing I'd disagree on is I think the players concerned aren't actively undermining the manager although their performances for him amount to the same thing. They're just so weak mentally that they in effect give up, they can't raise themselves to the required levels for the required time.
To be brutally honest, it's not really their fault, they just don't have it.

If you look at the booking he received on Tuesday compared with the Bournemouth penalty given yesterday he really has a point - Old interview or not.

Back