Morelos Sitting out Feyernood?

Fortunately we've got a class striker in Defoe to come in if the gaffer does decide to sit him out. I'd be comfortable either way.

We're in the position we are in the group because of morelos. To not play him would be insanity and to be honest a bit arrogant.
It would be showing disrespect to these teams and I feel that would come back and bite us.
Best available team till we are assured to go through,no point planning ahead for something that might not happen.

If we beat Feyenoord we’re through, because Feyenoord can’t catch us, as they’d be 6 points behind. And it would only be possible for Porto to finish equal on points with us and we beat them on head to head.

If Feyenoord beat us, there is a chance we might not go through, even if we beat YB. We’d have to beat YB in the final match and win on aggregate in the 2 games against them.

Wrong. We aren’t through yet if Porto also beat YB even if we beat Feyenoord.

If we beat Feyenoord we’re through, because Feyenoord can’t catch us, as they’d be 6 points behind. And it would only be possible for Porto to finish equal on points with us and we beat them on head to head.

If Feyenoord beat us, there is a chance we might not go through, even if we beat YB. We’d have to beat YB in the final match and win on aggregate in the 2 games against them.

Incorrect

Yes but if Porto and us are both on 10 points then so are YB and we each have a winning and losing position in the head to heads.

I see Coplandted has explained it earlier.
In this scenario where we are all on ten , it would go to a mini group Between the 3 of us , and we would only have 4 points , Porto and YB would have 6.

It’s not correct. We will go out if Porto win their last two and we win against Feyenoord and lose at home to YB. All of us on 10 points but we have poorer head to against again “ all tied teams “ we will only have taken 4 points against the two , Porto will have 6 and YB would have 6. It’s not head to head against direct opponents , it’s head to head v all tied teams combined.

A lot of if,buts and maybes here. A lot up for grabs,which is a pity as it would have been handy if YB or feyenoord were out the running.

Porto can't finish above us on head 2 head, should we finish on the same points.

I believe there’s a scenario where 3 of us end on 10 points and it’s the head to head record between the 3 teams overall that comes in to play, we end up third.

I believe there’s a scenario where 3 of us end on 10 points and it’s the head to head record between the 3 teams overall that comes in to play, we end up third.

If we finish tied on 10 points with YB and Porto, we are eliminated. If we finish tied on 10 points with Feyenoord and YB, which is possibly the more plausible of the two, Feyenoord are eliminated.

FFS it's like Carol Vodermann on speed in here. Look like a draw away and a win at home sees us through regardless.

Based on what? I can’t see that Porto side get anything better than a draw in Switzerland myself.
Based on the fact that, after beating Rangers, that YB side were rubbish and wouldn’t win another point in the group.
Oh, and we were out.

we need our best team and Alfie is our best striker, so he needs to play

I don't think Porto will beat YB in Berne, so they could potentially be out of it if we get the result we need in Rotterdam

As a general rule of thumb, I think Morelos should always start away games.
His hold up play and physicality is superior to Defoe.

We are not in a position to not play him, we need our strongest team fielded. If we are winning the game and the results in both games are going our way near the end, he can take a kick the ball away yellow. If not he might be needed for the YB game.

Bizarrely, four of his five bookings this season have come in ten European games so there’s a reasonable chance it could happen, especially with the significance of these two games.

On a side note, he’s been booked once this season in Scottish football in thirteen appearances. What a change from last season when had six yellows and a ( later to be rescinded) red by the same point of the season.

We should be aiming to win the group, not just qualify, so win both games please.

Would rather be seeded and avoid the potential chance of playing teams such as the loser from Ajax/Chelsea/Valencia (all currently sitting on 7 points), or Dortmund/Inter Milan, Zenit/Lyon, Shakhtar/Dynamo Zagreb etc.

Would also mean avoiding probable Europa group winners such as Man United, Arsenal and Sevilla.

6 more points please!

We should be aiming to win the group, not just qualify, so win both games please.

Would rather be seeded and avoid the potential chance of playing teams such as the loser from Ajax/Chelsea/Valencia (all currently sitting on 7 points), or Dortmund/Inter Milan, Zenit/Lyon, Shakhtar/Dynamo Zagreb etc.

Would also mean avoiding probable Europa group winners such as Man United, Arsenal and Sevilla.

6 more points please!

Absolutely this.

A draw with Feyenoord and Porto drawing with YB I think puts us through in 2nd minimum, as we have better head 2 head with Porto and Feyenord and their maximum point tally would be 8. If we then beat YB we top the group.

(I will stand corrected if got that wrong)

6 more points please!

A draw next, then a win against YB would guarantee us top spot.

Two wins as well as top spot bags just over €2m also. Good cash, so no rest for Alfie!

A draw with Feyenoord and Porto drawing with YB I think puts us through in 2nd minimum, as we have better head 2 head with Porto and Feyenord and their maximum point tally would be 8. If we then beat YB we top the group.

Think you’re right

Does that not also depend on the Porto result in Switzerland?

Irrespective, Alfie starts
No, if we win vs Feyenoord and lose vs YB only Porto could catch us on points and we’d win on H2H

Yes, you are correct on that. Then we'd need to beat YB to top group.

The best player in Scottish Football must play. Besides, he absolutely terrorised their defense at Ibrox.

We haven't qualified yet and there's still a good possibility we won't get through, we need our best team on the pitch until our name is in the hat for the last 32.
He knows we haven’t qualified, that’s why he said concentrate on the home game.

I disagree with him though.

It would be a 3 way head to head between us Porto and YB and we’d finish 3rd
I don’t think that’s right, if it’s a 3 way H2H then we would be above Porto. Porto can’t beat us on the H2H rule

Back