Morelos The Wake Up Call

Ibroxkev

Was on the late shift so having a few half’s and from playing catch-up on here I’ve stuck on the RC phone in from Thursday night (I know...)

There was a call from Thomas from Govan who to be fair called out a previous caller & he’s quite rightly questioning as to whether Morelos’ temperament can be tamed.

Personally, it’s make or break for the wee man if he doesn’t get sold this summer (I personally think that he’ll go)

Does anyone think he can change? I’d like to think that he can link the red against them causing him his chance at the Copa America and in turn a big move/further security for his family.

At the same time, I’ve been in a few scrapes in my life where I’ve declared I’m not drinking etc again....

Last edited:
I'd say that a good number of his yellows and reds were due to his perceived image and bad boy persona portrayed by the media in Scotland.

I don't think he has to calm down anywhere near as much as people think but rather learn how to box clever and not allow officials to use his "reputation" against him.

Missing out on the Copa America squad may well be the push he needs to remember he will 100% be punished strongly for any and all reactions to provocation.

Last edited:
I'd say that a good number of his yellows and reds where due to his perceived image and bad boy persona portrayed by the media in Scotland.

I don't think he has to calm down anywhere near as much as people think but rather learn how to box clever and not allow officials to use his "reputation" against him

I totally agree about the majority of his yellows, he’s effectively a marked man before the game even begins.

How many players have been stretchered off as a result of our violent little thug? He is made out to be some sort of animal when he is guilty of being petulant.

Compare and contrast his treatment to Brown in the media where they love to big him up when he winds opposing players up like it is amazing. Look at the way the media helped him get his blatant red card overturned against Ross County. Yet Morelos gets involved in some physical contact and he just can't help himself etc.

He is far from being a Saint and plays on the edge but IMO he is nowhere near the liability he is made out to be.

I'd say that a good number of his yellows and reds where due to his perceived image and bad boy persona portrayed by the media in Scotland.

I don't think he has to calm down anywhere near as much as people think but rather learn how to box clever and not allow officials to use his "reputation" against him.

Missing out on the Copa America squad may well be the push he needs to remember he will 100% be punished strongly for any and all reactions to provocation.
Referees don't help the guy,who must know he's going to be targeted,granted,he should be big enough to walk away,but he's given no protection from referees whatsoever. He'll flourish when he's away from this tin pot league. If he was wearing any other jersey,he wouldn't be getting so much attention.

He actually got away with some stuff last season as well that I thought was borderline, and got booked for stuff I thought he shouldn't.

Love the guy but I've personally moved to the train of thinking that he can't be relied upon in big matches.

He seems unbelievably easy to wind up, and it makes it so frustrating watching him knowing that he's going to go off at one point.

The guy above makes a good point. He's not even putting in bad tackles or injuring people, just acting like a petulant child.

When you look at the red cards he received against the sheep and the fact that Broadfoot and Brown weren’t even penalised for dragging the studs down his achilles, you see what he’s been up against and what we as a club are up against.

In fact I don’t even think the Broadfoot incident went to the compliance slag.

Last edited:
If anything I think the "reds" stopped him playing and the lack of time on the field cost him a Copa America place. Then again, the miss in his last International might have made the Colombia coach think he's not quite ready yet.

While I do think he brings some of it on himself, I do think he's unfairly targeted in Scotland.

Either way I think it might play to our favour with him continuing to spend the next season with us, and hopefully he can buckle down and not give refs the excuse theyre looking for to nail him. Hopefully he has a great season and helps us to be Champions raising both his profile and price

Was on the late shift so having a few half’s and from playing catch-up on here I’ve stuck on the RC phone in from Thursday night (I know...)

There was a call from Thomas from Govan who to be fair called out a previous caller & he’s quite rightly questioning as to whether Morelos’ temperament can be tamed.

Does anyone think he can change? I’d like to think that he can link the red against them causing him his chance at the Copa America and in turn a big move/further security for his family.

At the same time, I’ve been in a few scrapes in my life where I’ve declared I’m not drinking etc again....

He scored thirty last season,just let that sink in for a moment.

He scored thirty last season,just let that sink in for a moment.

He might have got 40+ If you want to let that sink in.

I’m not getting into a bashing session as to what his suspensions have cost us, just speculating as to whether we will de a guy that’s now more focused as a result of him missing things that are probably more personal goals.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Of course he can learn and change, he’s only just turned 23 – he’s not a kid but he’s still young.

The way he’s singled out and targeted by other teams/players and the media with little to no repercussions will be something he’s not used to and understandably so. Christ, I’m not even used to seeing it, it’s probably the worst I’ve ever seen.

There’s an important factor that we need to keep in mind here too, he’s reacting to stuff – it’s never unprovoked or lashing out for no reason. That’s not to say he hasn’t got growing to do or he’s exempt from blame, but cünts get away with murder against him every game.

Last edited:
Gerrard seemed completely exasperated by him after the red card at the piggery...and for good reason.

If he stays then I hope he can change because if something like that happens again then he’s finished at Rangers.

If the players kicking him and calling his mother a slag in his mother tongue were dealt with there would be nothing to react too.
Kicking him fair enough & I totally agree but can anything be done about the verbals? He should just learn a few choice terms like 'prick' so he's got something to come back with. Supposedly he's from a rough background, surely someone talking shit isn't the worse he's had to put up with.

Hopefully the missing out on the Copa America squad will be the catalyst that’s needed for him to finally realise that it’s his reactions to situations that will hold him back and the more he does it the more he will get wound up from players , but at the same time he needs help from the referees which is not happening any time soon

Kicking him fair enough & I totally agree but can anything be done about the verbals? He should just learn a few choice terms like 'prick' so he's got something to come back with. Supposedly he's from a rough background, surely someone talking shit isn't the worse he's had to put up with.
I agree but reading some posts on here it’s all his fault, he is a young boy living away from home trying to score goals ,from the Can’ts in the Tv radio and papers all making it easier for Refs to pick him up, there was one game live on tv and he never got pulled up or booked but and Walker said he had a great game and if he continued like that then he could get many more goals cue 1 hour later when some fecker watching it back frame by frame spoted something and reported it to the CO.
The highlights show was 1 hr long 6 games highlights 23 min the rest about the Alfredo incident.
Yes the verbals should be ignored by him but it can’t be easy, I would say if Defoe scored 30 this year his every move would be watched frame by frame, they’re stinking with fear and winning 55 is going to be the hardest and most enjoyable one ever.

He has been approached by refs and other officials before games and told that they wil be watching him, I wonder if any other player in the league has been told the same ?
I'll bet they haven't they fu@k us over at every chance they get because they can, we must change it.

I think the pressure from the windup merchants and hatchet men will be off the buffalo, they will have a couple of new players to target ( ojo and aribo ). Skill does not go down well in the SPL as we all know. I fancy the buffalo to have a great season,as for goals a lot will depend on his game time.we have many options now up front.

If he doesn’t get his move I think he could stink the place out ,I’m not sure he has it in him to get his head down and smash it and this is why I think there has been a come and get him now plea from Gerrard,I think he can’t be bothered babysitting Alfredo all season again ,look if the penny doesn’t drop when an absolute legend like Gerrard puts his arm around you and gives you all of his experience then you have a serious problem .

Ask yourselves this:
If your were playing professional football at 22 in this league and were constantly wound up, kicked and mongos raking their studs down your Achilles, with the official doing feck all about to protect you I think you would react just like Alfredo.
Remember he was never treated on the pitch like that in Finland.
I know I would be reacting.
Do you really think if he was signed by "Them" he would be vilified by the media the way he is at Rangers?
He would be their poster bhoy on every addition.

I just think the lad was too naive about slekit cheating, footballers in Scotland, and is struggling to come to terms with it.

He’s just put up a clip of a goals compilation (Instagram) that sky have put together which has transfer centre at the end of the clip.

Not new news but it’s clear he’s pushing for a move.

In his last red card, when brown raked his studs down his calf, he should have just hit the deck. I’m sure Gerrard has tried to drum this in to him and that’s what frustrates Gerrard. Also, if it’s true that he doesn’t speak English, I don’t think this helps him.

Gerrard and his team come across as being very professional and painstaking in their preparation, but on this issue Morelos seems to have been left to deal with things on his own. Surely they can bring in a sports psychologist to give the boy some tips? Of course, I could be doing them a disservice. Maybe they've already done this but didn't want to advertise it.

Morelos became a marked man and easy target for referees, the refs knew the press were constantly on Alfie's back so booking and red cards were basically expected of them and they didn't disappoint ,,you could see this getting to him,and he didn't help himself at times but it was a disgrace the way he was treated last season

If the players kicking him and calling his mother a slag in his mother tongue were dealt with there would be nothing to react too.
True but it still annoys me that after all his reds last season he still allowed that fanny brown to wind him up

He’s singled out make no mistake about that. He’s aggressive yes but that’s what adds to his all round play, some of his bookings/reds have been nothing short of embarrassing

The last two games v scum We chased them all over the park.If it’s only Alfie
He sticks out.We have had guys like Pena and Windass on that little shitehawk
With only Alfie noising him up

You look at some of the bookings he gets and other players don't get booked for it.

Perfect example v ayr 10 mins in he gets cleaned out. Asks the ref madden why no free kick gets booked. I watched a game later in the season may have been hearts v hibs. Madden ref gives a free kick the player he penalised was screaming in madden face. No booking.

Considering he's had 5 reds last season I honestly can't recall a dangerous tackle he has put in.

I’ll summarise things for anyone in any doubt.

From a football perspective - radio Clyde is for retards. You will not learn anything new or gain a different viewpoint on the game. You will solely listen to hyperbole without any meaningful insight into the game.

The company can also be viewed as harborers.

He “changed for the worse” apparently when he came to Scotland. He’d never been sent off before he came to this backwater
Yep he was and has been targeted by the scum and the media just because of his style of play.
I have listened to so called ''pundits'' for the last 10 years saying if you take Browns style of play away from him he is not the same player,not once have they said the same about Alfie,all they same to say he should control himself,but are to scared of Liewell to say he is a thug!!!

You look at some of the bookings he gets and other players don't get booked for it.

Perfect example v ayr 10 mins in he gets cleaned out. Asks the ref madden why no free kick gets booked. I watched a game later in the season may have been hearts v hibs. Madden ref gives a free kick the player he penalised was screaming in madden face. No booking.

Considering he's had 5 reds last season I honestly can't recall a dangerous tackle he has put in.
Yeah Thommo I can't recall one bad tackle Alfie made,yeah he is petulant and moody,but does that warrant 5 reds??!!!

What’s made it really difficult for the wee man was the last incident with that baldy fk wit brown. That really was indefensible given the number of warnings he had prior to kick off. Can’t be sure but my guess is despite his goal stats Gerrard now regards him as a liability.

How many players have been stretchered off as a result of our violent little thug? He is made out to be some sort of animal when he is guilty of being petulant.

Compare and contrast his treatment to Brown in the media where they love to big him up when he winds opposing players up like it is amazing. Look at the way the media helped him get his blatant red card overturned against Ross County. Yet Morelos gets involved in some physical contact and he just can't help himself etc.

He is far from being a Saint and plays on the edge but IMO he is nowhere near the liability he is made out to be.
Exactly this.
If morelos went around rampaging all over the park provoking opposition players and having snide digs like Brown he would have been hammered in the press and by the refs for it,Brown is Scottish though so it's ok.

I think the pressure from the windup merchants and hatchet men will be off the buffalo, they will have a couple of new players to target ( ojo and aribo ). Skill does not go down well in the SPL as we all know. I fancy the buffalo to have a great season,as for goals a lot will depend on his game time.we have many options now up front.

He was definitely targeted by the media and opposition players last season and the referees piled in because he was our biggest threat. As you say, looks like we will have a good number of danger men this season so hopefully wont have such an effect on the team.

I confidently forecast he'll "change" as soon as he leaves Scotland
His conduct is not perfect but not extraordinary by any standard
His problem is a result of a press who have a need to see every South American as hot headed and a bunch of officials stupid enough or corrupt enough to re enforce their racist stereotypes

Of course he can learn and change, he’s only just turned 23 – he’s not a kid but he’s still young.

The way he’s singled out and targeted by other teams/players and the media with little to no repercussions will be something he’s not used to and understandably so. Christ, I’m not even used to seeing it, it’s probably the worst I’ve ever seen.

There’s an important factor that we need to keep in mind here too, he’s reacting to stuff – it’s never unprovoked or lashing out for no reason. That’s not to say he hasn’t got growing to do or he’s exempt from blame, but cünts get away with murder against him every game.

I think back to that first game against the sheep. That player deliberately barges into him twice, Alfie kicks out and gets sent off for it.

If Alfie had fallen over instead of kicking out (which is what most players would do), then whether the sheep player got punished or not, he’d soon learn that the provocation isn’t gonna work and they’d stop. That’s the game, footballers do it all the time.

I’m hoping and praying Morelos stays. It would give him the shock he needs. If he learns to cool his temperament a bit then my god what a player we’ll have this season.

Back