Morelos to have a Scottish son?

The kid being born here also means that it wont need to do Colombian national service which may so be favourable. My bro is married to a Colombian and they made sure both their kids were born here and will not claim dual nationality otherwise they would be required to do national service and potentially end up being cartel fodder.

I doubt he'll be taking UK nationality. He'll still be a Colombian national, both his parents are Colombian.

I doubt he'll be taking UK nationality. He'll still be a Colombian national, both his parents are Colombian.
United Kingdom

Citizenship is not automatically granted to babies born in the UK to non-British parents. Individuals born in the UK are British citizens if their birth father or mother is a British citizen or settled in the UK. A person whose parents are not British citizens may register as a British citizen if, during the period the individual is a minor, either parent becomes a British citizen; if a parent is, or becomes, a member of the British armed forces; or if the child has lived in the UK for the first ten years of life with only limited leave outside the country. Individuals born outside the UK are considered to be a British citizen if, at the time of birth, either the mother or father is a British citizen otherwise than by descent. Infants found abandoned are considered to be British citizens[21]

United Kingdom

Citizenship is not automatically granted to babies born in the UK to non-British parents. Individuals born in the UK are British citizens if their birth father or mother is a British citizen or settled in the UK. A person whose parents are not British citizens may register as a British citizen if, during the period the individual is a minor, either parent becomes a British citizen; if a parent is, or becomes, a member of the British armed forces; or if the child has lived in the UK for the first ten years of life with only limited leave outside the country. Individuals born outside the UK are considered to be a British citizen if, at the time of birth, either the mother or father is a British citizen otherwise than by descent. Infants found abandoned are considered to be British citizens[21]

Will get his passport after Alfie lifts 65 as club captain!

The kid being born here also means that it wont need to do Colombian national service which may so be favourable. My bro is married to a Colombian and they made sure both their kids were born here and will not claim dual nationality otherwise they would be required to do national service and potentially end up being cartel fodder.

When did Alf fit that in himself moving to Finland as a teenager and playing in the Colombian top league before that...?

Colombian by blood yes but if he is born and registered in The UK he can claim citizenship and become a British Citizen. I think in theory that makes him eligible to play for any of The UK sides as well as Colombia though parentage - the reason for the former being he has no British ancestors. I'd expect if he becomes as talented as his Dad he will turn out for Colombia though.
UK doesn't automatically grant citizenship to people born here. Only if one of their parents is British or one of them becomes a British citizen, even that depends if the parents want to register the child as a British citizen. Alternatively if your first decade is spent here.

Will the Snp government be sending the Morelos's one of those baby boxes, or have they scrapped them?

I don't know for certain, but as much as it gets a regular slagging, I'm pretty sure health service in this country will be better than it is in Colombia.

Cmon guys (and girls) .... we all came from Scotland in some way shape or form and know it’s range of pluses and minuses. We ( you ) are very well respected in this world, individually and collectively. The problem with us, is that there is not enough of us.... step forward wee Billy Morelos

Baby Buffalo will be on the Ibrox pitch doing a lap of honour in May. Alfredo will have him in one arm and the league trophy in the other.

Big fan of Boab Buff being born here. No doubt Bill Leckie is already penning an article about how the kid is a waster.

Can’t wait to see him grow up and play for Rangers.

so your saying that if hes born in scotland he could play for scotland, england, wales or northern ireland? how does that work please mate?

In theory, anyone (non-national) with a UK passport/citizenship can play for any of the home countries, however there is an agreement in place to stop this.

That's why Almunia was always linked with England and Novo with Scotland.

Am sure there was a Jamaican born UK passport holder a good number of years back (I want to say it was David Johnson) who Scotland wanted to cap him but couldn't

Edit: It was - why the hell I remember that I have no idea

Following his injury, he was approached to play for Scotland by national manager Craig Brown.[55] Johnson agreed to pledge his international future to Scotland in October 1999, but he was not selected for Scotland's Euro 2000 play-off against England.[56][57] However, before he could be selected for any Scotland matches, it was revealed that due to an agreement made between the Home Nations in 1993, Johnson would not be eligible to play for any Home Nation other than England, as his mother is from Birmingham.[58] Although Johnson met the terms required by FIFA to play internationally for Scotland, he did not meet the terms of the agreement set out in 1993. Speaking in January 2000, Scotland coach Craig Brown said: "I was assuming that FIFA were aware of our home countries agreement and apparently they weren't....but there was the agreement with the four nations."[59]

Colombian by blood yes but if he is born and registered in The UK he can claim citizenship and become a British Citizen. I think in theory that makes him eligible to play for any of The UK sides as well as Colombia though parentage - the reason for the former being he has no British ancestors. I'd expect if he becomes as talented as his Dad he will turn out for Colombia though.

In footballing terms any player born in the UK is only be eligible for the home nation he was born in, had parents/grandparents from or has at least 5 years schooling in said nation.

In footballing terms any player born in the UK is only be eligible for the home nation he was born in, had parents/grandparents from or has at least 5 years schooling in said nation.

Really? I read different but only when I read opinions when people asked about other players with no British blood that played for British sides.

so your saying that if hes born in scotland he could play for scotland, england, wales or northern ireland? how does that work please mate?

I thought it was bizarre too but I read it somewhere when reading about other players that have played for British sides when having no British blood. That they can opt for any of the 4. Could well be wrong though, happy to be corrected.

UK doesn't automatically grant citizenship to people born here. Only if one of their parents is British or one of them becomes a British citizen, even that depends if the parents want to register the child as a British citizen. Alternatively if your first decade is spent here.

Not automatically no but people born and registered here can apply and nearly always get it.

Not automatically no but people born and registered here can apply and nearly always get it.
Do they? Home office is pretty specific that they don't.

There are only about 30 countries that naturalise citizens based on being born there.

With Alfredo probably going to the EPL the kid would be educated in England and thus eligible to play for them

:) My darling wife is due to give birth to our first child in early April...I’ve begged her to let us at least have a middle name of Alfredo :p

Less that 8 yrs ago when we got into a bad mess as a club I warned my then fiancée that when 55 was delivered I wouldn’t be about for a week or so ;)

Hope El Buffs wife is doing good & let’s make it a year go remember Rangers :cool:

Do they? Home office is pretty specific that they don't.

There are only about 30 countries that naturalise citizens based on being born there.

I've seen it happen twice, as I say it wasnt automatic but I dealt with 2 African families, one which applied for their childs citizenship normally after he was born here while they were on a Visa, he was granted it and on the back of it they eventually got indefinite leave to remain.

The other was a pregnant African woman who got lifted for shoplifting, transpired she was an over stayed so was lifted for this too. Whilst in custody waiting for immigration to come and deal with her she went in to labour. You guessed it, she managed to get citizenship for her kid born here to African parents, only the mother on the birth certificate and she was an overstayer!!

I'm yet to hear of a case where it is denied.

Back