Morelos

1) Certainly and will do again.
2) yes but a LOT is down to victimisation from referees thanks to the mhedia.

We have a young guy thousands of miles from home being mercilessly hounded by the press which cannot help his mental strength.

This is bollocks. His poor disciplinary record is his own fault, not the media's fault.

Has it not been discussed before and they’re not due anything like 10% (I think £14m far too low anyway- no chance Watkins is double the player Morelos is)
But he's English going to the premier league. English tax. Just how it is. We all know Alfie is easily worth that but the English clubs know SPL pedigree counts for nothing.

This is bollocks. His poor disciplinary record is his own fault, not the media's fault.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Some ‘staunch’ posters in here will tell you Morelos is never ever to blame for his soft bookings - which is wrong.

Some naive posters in here will tell you Morelos whenever he is carded is to blame and is disrespecting the club and his team mates with the selfish bookings he picks up.

Morelos undoubtedly picks up stupidly soft yellows a lot because of his own actions but he also gets carded for aspects of the game the red will ignore from another player in the same game. And in the later incidents to ignore the media input into these bookings is daft but it’s also equally daft to ignore the reputation he also helped them build about him with his own moments of madness.

Some ‘staunch’ posters in here will tell you Morelos is never ever to blame for his soft bookings - which is wrong.

Some naive posters in here will tell you Morelos whenever he is carded is to blame and is disrespecting the club and his team mates with the selfish bookings he picks up.

Morelos undoubtedly picks up stupidly soft yellows a lot because of his own actions but he also gets carded for aspects of the game the red will ignore from another player in the same game. And in the later incidents to ignore the media input into these bookings is daft but it’s also equally daft to ignore the reputation he also helped them build about him with his own moments of madness.

This is spot on, even gerrard has said he plays on the edge so he is going to undoubtedly pick up yellow cards but he has to be more clever when on a yellow card, i actually thought last season it was fully behind him

Away with your common sense - it has no place on a thread like this.:)

He's definitely refereed to a different standard, and the media definitely focus on him to an unhealthy and unfair degree. But he still does things which give refs the excuse to card him, and he just doesn't learn that, unfair as it is, he has to be cleaner than any other player or he's going to suffer for it.

We’re not getting £20 Million unfortunately but keep believing.
What's clear is that Rangers has its price, for all the players, just like every other club. I admire the club standing it's ground in these situations more, and if the worse case scenario is a player staying then that, in this case our top scorer and someone who plays formidably in European competitions, is a worse case scenario I can happily live with.

When you see Ajer getting a pricetag 'slapped on' of 15 million (I know :)) WTAF) then at least 20 million is what we should expect and not a penny less. Other than that, the quicker he starts banging the goals in the quicker the move he seems to want will materialise.

He absolutely is held to a different standard.

I can't remember the game last season, but Halliday was playing. Halliday did the exact same throwing an arm out in exasperation at a shite decision as Morelos, in fact I think Halliday was actually shouting and bawling at the ref from close quarters, no booking. Alfie did the same arm gesture 20 yds from the ref and was booked for 'petulance'.

Time on our side?

I can’t agree with that. He’s made clear he wants to move on.

If we don’t sell him in this window, his value drops in January IMO, because I don’t believe it’s likely he’ll recapture his form of 2019.

Some posters seem to think he’ll knuckle down to get his big move in January. It may well happen but the evidence so far doesn’t point to this.

Even if he ends up on the bench most weeks until January, teams will still take a punt on him in January but probably no more than £10m or so.
Sorry, been away.
I meant the window is open for another month.
I agree that he needs to be moved this window for max profit.

When you see Ajer getting a pricetag 'slapped on' of 15 million (I know :)) WTAF) then at least 20 million is what we should expect and not a penny less. Other than that, the quicker he starts banging the goals in the quicker the move he seems to want will materialise.
Ayer's a donkey, they will be lucky to get 8 for him.

Oh because the guy question's crazy refereeing decisions, gets booted up n doon the park, has wee fly slaps and kicks at him off the ball, away and bile yir heid.

He’s been rotten in 2020 so he certainly isn’t our star man now.
And yet when he came on at the weekend, I thought he looked really good and very committed. His effort was spot on. Players on here go from being a God one week to the antichrist the next.
Yes, Jan and Feb he wasn't good...but who in the team was?? In the here and now he's an asset in the search for 55..that will be his legacy and his price will reflect that when he does move on.
Wife...get me another beer:))

Utter pish
Two sending offs rescinded but still referred too in the media as sending offs.Every.
game in that period virtually had a “Morelos cam” on sky/Bbc
Not saying he was totally blameless but to suggest
That it was all his fault is Bollocks
Aye and never mind the blatant penalties for being toppled but receiving a yellow for diving, that’s his fault as well.

middle ground doesn’t work. There has been a concerted media campaign against Morelos for almost all the time he has been here. Whether the motive is pro-scum, anti-Rangers or just selling newspapers and phone-ins is irrelevant t. The campaign has been Xenophobic, bitter, unreasonable and deeply insulting. Anyone who thinks otherwise is missing the point. Morelos has still not injured any other pro or put in a particularly bad challenge.

And yet when he came on at the weekend, I thought he looked really good and very committed. His effort was spot on. Players on here go from being a God one week to the antichrist the next.
Yes, Jan and Feb he wasn't good...but who in the team was?? In the here and now he's an asset in the search for 55..that will be his legacy and his price will reflect that when he does move on.
Wife...get me another beer:))

when he came on at the weekend I thought we looked a far better and more dangerous team.
As someone said above, I hope he stays for the season and leaves with the league medal and a big %^*& your to everyone in Scottish football.

Id be amazed if Ally’s European appearances aren’t well above Alfie’s SB ?

I am unsure on the accuracy but from wiki it says 54 that being over about 15 seasons. Think only 3 of them we never qualified or he never took part. 87/88 He was joint top European Cup scorer with 4 goals. One of the players he shared the spot with was none other than Georgi Hagi.

I have no idea how many games Alfie has played in Europe for us but It must be around the 30 mark?

All Alfie's goals are from the Uefa cup but Supers are spread across a of Uefa, cup winners cup, European cup and Champions League.

I am unsure on the accuracy but from wiki it says 54 that being over about 15 seasons. Think only 3 of them we never qualified or he never took part. 87/88 He was joint top European Cup scorer with 4 goals. One of the players he shared the spot with was none other than Georgi Hagi.

I have no idea how many games Alfie has played in Europe for us but It must be around the 30 mark?

All Alfie's goals are from the Uefa cup but Supers are spread across a of Uefa, cup winners cup, European cup and Champions League.

Thanks a lot mate.

Yes Alfie must be close to 30, as you say, as the EL Group stage took us to 14 a season, and we passed that last season. He played the vast majority of games too.

middle ground doesn’t work. There has been a concerted media campaign against Morelos for almost all the time he has been here. Whether the motive is pro-scum, anti-Rangers or just selling newspapers and phone-ins is irrelevant t. The campaign has been Xenophobic, bitter, unreasonable and deeply insulting. Anyone who thinks otherwise is missing the point. Morelos has still not injured any other pro or put in a particularly bad challenge.
Concerted media campaign bought into and, in parts, repeated by a good few on this forum.

Got to keep him relatively involved, we’ve got potential suitors who will probably leave it late to make a move. He needs minutes. I’d probably start him tomorrow and see if he can get his name out there again.

Ultimately I think this will go to the last few days of the window.

He's just very obviously a better footballer than Barker. We really need to hope he gets his head right and wants to be part of this team this year. Fingers crossed.

Agree, albeit he looked happy & worked hard for the team.

I still question if he's going to be allowed to play like any other player by the 'referees' in
this country, and for that reason I reluctantly feel he should move on to be honest.

It would help the club financially & hopefully allow us to strengthen the squad at the same
time but, despite that, it would be a great shame, as well as an indictment on our country.

To be fair we play against more dross in the early rounds now than we did back in Ally's day.

Thats not to knock Alfie's European record though which is absolutely outstanding.

Don't disagree, but last year only St Joseph's were crap PB, and we started Defoe over
there. From memory Alfie scored one away, as a sub, and three at home, but played less
than 90 minutes over the whole tie ?

I love El Buf & if he’s fit & rearing to go then we are a better team 100%...it’s not even up for discussion in my view.

I can’t stress how much I’d love him to score Vrs them & if he’s focused he will get his move sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Probably because he wasn't overweight in the first place
I love Alfie as much as anyone but even I have to say he did look a bit chunky and unfit. He was hardly ready to be bed bound he was that fat but he was carrying a few extra pounds, even for a naturally broad guy.

Edit: I'd rather not trigger another 10 pages about people slaughtering him again either, the good thing is he looks fit as %^*& now and was showing it on the pitch. Anyone doubting his work ethic is a melon, he was pressuring their defence and winning the ball back like an animal.

The level of opposition won't be though

It would be interesting if one of the real statisticians like RangersAl could help here.

Last season, apart from St Joseph’s all other ties were tough. The year before we didn’t have an easy tie.

Back in Ally’s days we played some shit teams too, eg Valletta from Malta for example, who we beat 12.0 or so over the tie IIRC.

His weight loss has been unbelievable, looks slimmer than Tav and Arfield now somehow.

I think he has gotten over the Lille saga and noticed that lack of effort won't help his chances of moving either. By the sounds and looks of it he has been putting in a power of work and his performance at the weekend showed it.

Yip he's looking in far better shape now. Great to see.

Back