Morelos

Our best player to our weakest link, I'm not sure we've had a player with such a fall from grace. Barely deserves to be in the squad let alone starting.

We are carrying him in the hope he'll improve, but it's been nearly 11 months of poor form. We are a far better team now but will not always get away with being a man down and he should be dropped.

I think he has been asked to play a totally different role as we are a more complete team now, not a one trick pony get it to Morelos and leave it to him, which is a good thing.
The transfer saga and a new baby have all contributed to a different Alfie, and I can appreciate and understand that.
I really believe that the thought from his wife of getting out of a cesspit of hatred and media made up propaganda against him in a Glasgow goldfish bowl is a large contributing factor in a transfer wish for him.
There aren't many defenders that would relish the thought of him playing against them regardless of whether he scores or not he takes his toll on them.
He is part of our team and has a place in it, if he doesn't get the goals someone else will it's a total pressure game we are playing and he is still a very important part of it in our push for 55 and other successes.

You don't lose ability at his age.
Confidence, yes desire, yes but I see no lack of desire on his part.
It's a confidence/form issue. He'll be back.

Kemar Roofe will take over for Sunday and rightly so, but with his injury history we're likely to be calling on Alfie again before too long.

As you say Alex, form & confidence are down but after the injury Roofe couldn’t have been risked to start last night.

Itten is settling in still & Defoe can’t be started when the game is being played outside the penalty box.

It was the right decision to play him last night despite his current issues.

We beat a team at a stadium that Arsenal & Sevilla couldn’t.

And lack of objectivity mate.

Comments like his touch was shite ? It wasn’t, it was inconsistent, for instance the touch to Arfield was class.
Yea that was class, I thought he was better at the weekend but if we want to win this league we need our centre forward to be firing and I think its time for Roofe to take this on and we need to hope he stays fit.

His first touch has currently deserted him, he's not forgotten how to play football. Agree he's not necessarily first choice right now but his form will return.

Yea that was class, I thought he was better at the weekend but if we want to win this league we need our centre forward to be firing and I think its time for Roofe to take this on and we need to hope he stays fit.

Im not disagreeing.

My post above explains my thoughts & they are not dissimilar to yours.

We’ve just had ANOTHER top class result & we get this BS.

Some of his touches last night were terrible. That chance Arfield squared to him in the box should've been top binned.. he tried passing it back instead..

His passing and touch have been awful. Ball is just bouncing off him all the time, i dont know if hes trying to hard and overthinking everything. He needs a spell on the bench.

This is it for me. He may have been given a slightly different role, but he’s still the main focal point of our attack and he’s simply not doing what we should expect.

Forget about all the baggage for a minute, forget that he’s even Alfredo Morelos. If our attacks are frequently breaking down because our main striker’s touch and shooting is poor we would expect changes.

Injuries to the alternatives have prevented that from happening so far, but I think we’ll start to see that happen now Roofe is back.

People just see what they want to see with Alfie unfortunately. I can't remember another player supporting Rangers who has had as many excuses made for him by a large section of our fans than Alfie.

We are in a c*nt of a position though as we have an asset to protect and can't simply bench him for a sustained period of time or his value is going to drop drastically. We've had a nightmare not accepting the 16m from Lille given he has barely kicked a ball for us since December 29th last year.

We can fit him and Roofe into the team for most domestic games by playing a 4231, which is what we will do because Gerrard isn't stupid and knows he needs to protect Alfie's value as much as possible. If he doesn't improve drastically though then Itten will be banging the managers door soon asking how bad does Alfie need to get before I get a run of games myself.

You don't lose ability at his age.
Confidence, yes desire, yes but I see no lack of desire on his part.
It's a confidence/form issue. He'll be back.

Kemar Roofe will take over for Sunday and rightly so, but with his injury history we're likely to be calling on Alfie again before too long.
I’m not saying he’s lost ability it does seem to be down to a loss of confidence/form, I just can’t fathom where it has stemmed from though, I do think that we have changed the way we play and he is having to adapt his game so obviously isn’t able to get in the box as often and hoping he’ll start to bang them in again. There was that chance that came to him in the box yesterday where he just had to gain control of the ball and get a shot away it was extremely unlike him to fluff the control completely I could put that one down to the weather as could easily have had his vision blurred by the rain as it came to him.
I agree that roofe should start Sunday after that wonder goal and bullish hold up play of the ball and dribbling of the ball and then the magnificent worldie to finish it off deserves to be picked.

Im not disagreeing.

My post above explains my thoughts & they are not dissimilar to yours.

We’ve just had ANOTHER top class result & we get this BS.
I do understand that, its just this season is so huge for us we can't afford to be carrying players and this has obviously been a concern with Morelos for many months now.

It shouldn't take away at all from another brilliant performance last night.

No but he was trying his best, a game we were cruising in, in all honesty he should have, not just for the slap but the stupid challenges could have red to 2 yellows.

Absolute nonsense .

Morelos is going through a crisis of confidence but he is still contributing to the team and working hard . He will come good . Now is the time for us to back him , not criticise him.

I do understand that, its just this season is so huge for us we can't afford to be carrying players and this has obviously been a concern with Morelos for many months now.

It shouldn't take away at all from another brilliant performance last night.

Agree.

There’s no question that Morelos isn’t the player currently that he was last year. It’s not even close.

But he still has attributes that help the team, particularly in tough away matches when you need to get up the park.

We are still to see how the team plays with the others leading the line.

As I said on the match thread , prove the doubters wrong Alfie ..and there is certainly a growing amount of doubters on here , wasn't his best game by far but why some of our support seem to go overboard in their constant criticism is beyond me . Alfie is a Rangers player and hopefully part of a successful one , apologies for the rant on a hugely enjoyable night my fellow bears
His issue soon will be getting a place in the side in order to prove anyone wrong.

Agree.

There’s no question that Morelos isn’t the player currently that he was last year. It’s not even close.

But he still has attributes that help the team, particularly in tough away matches when you need to get up the park.

We are still to see how the team plays with the others leading the line.
Of course he does, he will still play a big.part this season

I fear he has successfully been hounded out of Scottish football by the media and referees. It is indisputanle that he has not been the same player since his sending off at the piggery. The question at the bavk.of my mind is this, was his 'cut throat gesture' a sign that his red card was the straw that broke the camels back and that he has simply had enough of Scottish football and the bias against him? He certainly looks like a guy that has lost interest. I'd love to.know what the coaching team are doing to try to reignite his interest. To me it seems the root problem is motivation and the lack of physical conditioning is a result of that.

Love the guy and a fit and in form Alfie would be a major boost to our title challenge.

I’d play Roofe on Sunday but would give Alfie some game time. A goal will do his confidence the world of good.

Form is temporary , Class is permanent

I just hope Roofe’s fitness allows that. We need to cajole him to his peak.

I thought Aribo looked very sharp too, so maybe he can start in Hagi’s place on Sunday ?

Seems to be a lot on here that think Alfie is exempt from criticism, he isn’t.

A lot seem to think he is victimised, he isn’t. Both Tav and Goldson amongst others have been lambasted on here during periods of bad form. I’ll agree that Alfie gets a lot more slamming than most but if you reckon he’s supposed to be our best player (that’s not been the case for a while) then he’s got to expect criticism when he can’t buy a goal.

Some think he’s still contributing a lot. He isn’t. The Alfie of last year carried us at times. Last night the best that even the diehards could come up with was one good passage when he actually got a shot in after a good movement and the fact that he was prepared to weigh in when it kicked off after the whistle. That’s not enough.

I’ve loved what Alfie has done here and I’ve supported him through a lot of the shite he’s had to put up with from opponents and referees. But there is limits and it’s time to stop being defensive about him and admit that he simply ain’t cutting it.

By the way for the lemmings jumping on the bandwagon, Morelos had a decent game last night, especially second half.
I dont think he was as awful as some make out. But theres a lot to be concerned about his touch is poor his finishing and confidence looks shot. He needs a bit time out the side as he doesn't look like he's enjoying his football right now and needs to get that bit hunger back. Interestingly the striker Lille signed instead of him still hasn't scored I wouldn't be surprised if they come back on for him.

No but he was trying his best, a game we were cruising in, in all honesty he should have, not just for the slap but the stupid challenges could have red to 2 yellows.
Nonsense.
You have allowed your self to be brainwashed by all the mhedia Rangers haters.

The problem with Morelos is now serious IMO. You can forget the whole "he's chucked it" angle. He hasn't. The effort is still there. But he's so much slower and less explosive than this time last year it's not funny.

His touch has gone, any composure in front of goal has gone and we're seeing no signs of him even looking like getting back to his best. His record in 2020 is now 25 games and 6 goals. The one man wrecking crew who battered defences has disappeared. You can talk tactics and different roles but in front of goal he is a shadow of the player he once was.

I don't see how he starts on Sunday. I don't see where we go from here with him if Roofe stays fit and I don't see another team coming in with the sort of money Lille did never mind what we actually want for him.

This is a real crossroads for him. I genuinely hope for everyones sake he gets back to his best before January and we cash in.

Greegs
Tavernier Goldson Helander Bassey
Arfield Jack Kamara
Roofe Kent
Morelos

Mclaughlin Patterson Balogun Aribo Davis Jones Barker Hagi Itten

With another Europa League game on Thursday I'd be dropping him this weekend just to make sure he's sharp to start on Thursday. Remember the guy was in Colombia a little over a week ago.

Start Itten and get Roofe on after 60 minutes. Then Morelos back to the starting lineup on Thursday since he is and will remain our number 1 striker.

I thought his performance last night was very very poor. He just keeps giving the ball away and never looks like scoring now.

He’s really struggling. It’s time to give him a rest, 4 or 5 games go away get some sharpness back in training then bleed him back into the first team while Roofe, Itten and Defoe take up the reigns. Morelos deserves our support.

How much does he weigh?
Have a look at him coming off last night and you'll see his love handles. Do you remember Goughs American friend saying he was decent but overweight, mccoist and Darren Ferguson both said he was overweight TWO months ago, he's overweight, fact. I'd not give a shit if he wasn't playing like he was overweight too.

Not read the entire thread so apologies if I'm repeating anything.
Alfie's entire game is down this season, his touch last night was brutal and he could not hold the ball up, had a couple of decent chances and should have scored.
Time for Roofe on Sunday, let Alfie work on his game.
He is a good player and when he finally finds form we will be in a very good place.

I feel it is desperately unfair to get on Alfies back. SG has obviously asked him to change his game play and get deeper to help the team and the team tactics. If he was not SG with his options now would not play him. Against Celtic he was deeper and kept the shape with kent and Arfield to break up their momentum. The team, including Alfie, played the tactics and we won the game everyone to a man bought into it.

I trust SG to do what is right for our team in each match it does not help him if we are getting on one of our players back just because he is playing for the team.

Seems to be a lot on here that think Alfie is exempt from criticism, he isn’t.

A lot seem to think he is victimised, he isn’t. Both Tav and Goldson amongst others have been lambasted on here during periods of bad form. I’ll agree that Alfie gets a lot more slamming than most but if you reckon he’s supposed to be our best player (that’s not been the case for a while) then he’s got to expect criticism when he can’t buy a goal.

Some think he’s still contributing a lot. He isn’t. The Alfie of last year carried us at times. Last night the best that even the diehards could come up with was one good passage when he actually got a shot in after a good movement and the fact that he was prepared to weigh in when it kicked off after the whistle. That’s not enough.

I’ve loved what Alfie has done here and I’ve supported him through a lot of the shite he’s had to put up with from opponents and referees. But there is limits and it’s time to stop being defensive about him and admit that he simply ain’t cutting it.

I'm a big Morelos fan and have defended him on here from some of the nonsense that's spouted about him. Much of the stuff written about him here would make you think that Morelos was public enemy No 1 when he is actually a pretty talented footballer who has bailed the club out of trouble on a number of high profile occasions.
He is not though exempt from criticism and to suggest that some of us think like that just because we defend him on here is just rubbish. Last night is a prime example of that. He fully deserved to be subbed because things just weren't happening for him. He is also looking as if he's carrying too much weight. If he is, the club must shoulder some of that responsibility for allowing it to continue as such.
He is still , despite what you say contributing to the team and playing in a new role that has seen some very impressive performances this season. You have to acknowledge that surely?
He is not the Morelos of old, but give him a chance. I often feel that it's a good thing he doesn't speak or read English. If he did he'd be destroyed by some of the absolute crap that people write about him here and those are his own team supporters!
If he's dropped for the weekend I'll not lose sleep about it but it'll vex me greatly if the fans continue to run him down at every opportunity.

Maybe the management have challenged him this year to concentrate on upgrading his link up, build up play. Loan striking, penalty box striking he is capable of doing brilliantly but if he can increase and improve his link up contribution around the box then he becomes an even greater striker. So he’s perhaps approaching games slightly differently and trying to perfect something. Naturally he’s making errors within that learning process - but if it clicks for him?!
He’s a boy who responds well to being loved and supported. Let’s keep behind him and not score an own goal by criticising, therefore putting on pressure and likely diminishing confidence.

So I say. Come on Alfredo! Keep at it son!

Whit??
He had a couple of good touches and some absolutely terrible when did he have him on strings??

He didn't, it's quite simple. Certain posters re-write history in Alfie's favour it seems.

He was good against the tims for the first 15/20 minutes then fell away completely as the game went on until he was eventually subbed.

I'm a big Morelos fan and have defended him on here from some of the nonsense that's spouted about him. Much of the stuff written about him here would make you think that Morelos was public enemy No 1 when he is actually a pretty talented footballer who has bailed the club out of trouble on a number of high profile occasions.
He is not though exempt from criticism and to suggest that some of us think like that just because we defend him on here is just rubbish. Last night is a prime example of that. He fully deserved to be subbed because things just weren't happening for him. He is also looking as if he's carrying too much weight. If he is, the club must shoulder some of that responsibility for allowing it to continue as such.
He is still , despite what you say contributing to the team and playing in a new role that has seen some very impressive performances this season. You have to acknowledge that surely?
He is not the Morelos of old, but give him a chance. I often feel that it's a good thing he doesn't speak or read English. If he did he'd be destroyed by some of the absolute crap that people write about him here and those are his own team supporters!
If he's dropped for the weekend I'll not lose sleep about it but it'll vex me greatly if the fans continue to run him down at every opportunity.
But there are folks that blindly defend him however he plays. You are at least able to concede that he is not beyond criticism.

I’m not seeing these ‘impressive’ performances that you are but hey, everyone sees things differently.

I know that a lot of what he gets thrown at him is OTT but he could help himself out by getting a bit fitter and looked like he was really interested. At the height of it while he’s been here he would chase down everything and was a complete pest even when he wasn’t on his top game. I’m not seeing so much of that these days.

Back