Morelos

Because he drops a bit deeper and takes defenders with him which allows space for the likes of Tav and Arfield.
Gerrard is playing him differently this season and whilst he may not be getting many goals others are.
It is a team game after all
His hold up play hasn’t been great tbh, his touch is heavy and his passing is erratic and it puts us under pressure when he loses possession.

I think roofe would do a much better job in that role.

I’m not seeing these ‘impressive’ performances that you are but hey, everyone sees things differently.

Maybe I didn't make myself as clear as I wished but I was referring to the "impressive performances" of the team. Morelos in his much deeper position has contributed to that positively.

He is definitely not the same player this year when he came back after the break for whatever reason. I know he wanted a move away and the club didn’t get the £20M asking price, but unless he drastically starts to get back to his best we will not be getting £20M for him he needs to start scoring goals again and go back to basics.

Because he drops a bit deeper and takes defenders with him which allows space for the likes of Tav and Arfield.
Gerrard is playing him differently this season and whilst he may not be getting many goals others are.
It is a team game after all

This doesn’t excuse his inability to keep a hold of the ball or score good chances. Things we’ve seen him do without any problems in the past.

I also don’t think he’s been told to stop running behind completely, he just is playing miles within himself. Everything is a simple, single touch lay-off, often poorly executed.

Morelos' form does not justify first-team selection. His first touch with back to the goal was shocking last night, his flicks and passes rarely found a team-mate, and his all-round play was very sub-par. This is not an isolated performance, and reflects the last few weeks. The two clear scoring opportunities I remember were bad choices - one to pass when a shot was the obvious option and another were the pass escaped him - and in all of this I am not counting anything once the deluge started. Rangers were managing the game throughout, however his wayward touches and passes exposed us to attacking breakaways in our own half. He should not have emerged from the half-time break. He needs to be rested and put on a programme to shed a few pounds, work on his hold-up and passing game, and regain some confidence to take the difficult scoring opportunities.

Wtf has happened to him? He needs to be out of the team if I'm honest absolutely loved the wee man, but I mean on Saturday he was hell bent on getting sent off, his hold up play is awful and his finishing not much better.

Need to get Roofe and Itten before him tbh.
Glad you are nowhere near the management team as you know feck all aboot fitba.

Nothing seems to be coming off for him just now, thought he was actually ok on Sat against the manky mob. His link up play and movement were fine, he did lose it for a wee bit and went a bit daft but definitely not trying to get sent off

Hell bent on getting sent off?? Do you write the scripts for radio clyde?
He is off his game but tonight he had some good link up play and was unlucky with a couple. Should have put the laces through one in 1st half but passed instead.
He will play a part in the team this season but coming off the bench in a few games for Roofe may be what he needs
This season the front three are playing all over.
I don’t see a center forward.
alfie, Ryan and one other are using the middle wherever they want.
if looking at all highlights or all goal highlights, Alfie is involved in most.
the lack of personal goals, even though the team average is very good, is attracting criticism to Alfie.
the transfer saga has set some against him, and, unfortunately that won’t change.
He is working in the team ethic, and that will do for me.
His joining in with the players and the smiles when a goal is scored says it all.

His touch and composure and, seemingly, fitness has deserted him. Needs a spell on the bench for the good of the team. We've got a title to win and can't afford indulging players who are out of form and out of shape.

He’s clearly lacking confidence in front of goal, the heavy touches when he has the opportunity to score show that. He’s overthinking things like when he passed the ball back last night to airfield in the first half when he had a clean easy shot at goal, even though he had to hit it, he didn’t have the confidence to do so. Alfie last season buries that chance and we cruise to 2 nil.

Something is definitely amiss. There was a point yesterday when we were breaking when he literally couldn't control the ball or dribble within 5 or 6 attempts, it was like he was playing basketball with his feet. I've only ever seen that from people who weren't into football that were roped into playing 5s in school

Something is definitely amiss. There was a point yesterday when we were breaking when he literally couldn't control the ball or dribble within 5 or 6 attempts, it was like he was playing basketball with his feet. I've only ever seen that from people who weren't into football that were roped into playing 5s in school
There's times when he just "doesn't look like a footballer". That might sound harsh but it's totally true.

He didn't slap him he clipped his ear

Much less than what brown did against borna 30 seconds later.

Should he have done prob not was it a sending off offense no.

Hes not playing badly just nothng is coming off for him just now interesting though is he goes through spells like this every season id much rather it was now and he comes into form later.
Exactly. Why is no one going on about this?
After getting abuse from broon, Alfie just gave him a cheeky slap and walked away not even looking at him. Nothing broon could do about it. The look on broons face is priceless. It is what I want from Rangers players against them. I want to treat them with total arrogance because we are better.

Cop? in the same game?

He has zero confidence left. Hes always been a bit of a confidence player where everything comes naturally when hes playing well.

You can see just now that he isnt sure what hes doing when the ball comes to him. He needs some time out the starting 11.

Lacking confidence.

Maybe im wrong but you cannot put down around a years worth of average/below par performances down to confidence. We've seen this level of performance from him every single season but it usually happens in the 2nd half of the season, the fact it's at this stage is an even bigger worry.

Maybe he's simply inconsistent over a season, moments of genius smattered with below par performances. Everything points to that.

Maybe im wrong but you cannot put down around a years worth of average/below par performances down to confidence. We've seen this level of performance from him every single season but it usually happens in the 2nd half of the season, the fact it's at this stage is an even bigger worry.

Maybe he's simply inconsistent over a season, moments of genius smattered with below par performances. Everything points to that.
Well it has been a strange year. He wasn't the only Rangers player misfiring after the Winter break last season.

Then Covid. Then it looked like he was leaving and Rangers bought Roofe and Itten to replace him. Then he wasn't leaving then he was leaving then the window closed.

He needs to sit out a few games. Thanks to the good work done off the pitch by Ross Wilson and co, we now have that luxury.

This is Morelos’ 4th season with us and in that time he has had 2 excellent 6 month spells. The rest of the time he has been anywhere from embarrassing to poor to average (and that’s me being very kind).

I’m still amazed we knocked back the bids from Lille tbh.

He's had his head turned. It's clear that he's looking for a move and has been for a while now. He clearly feels that the bids received so far were acceptable. The club don't. So we're left with a player who is obviously unhappy and who isnt playing to anything like his full ability. The big problem is that the worse his form gets then the lower his price tag becomes. The club won't get the bid that we want and Morelos won't get the interest from clubs that he'd want. It's a lose/lose situation,

Needs a spell on the bench. Similar to Kent at times in the past two seasons when he's been 'trying too hard'. Morelos' link up play and overall play outside the box has been decent, and we aren't relying on him to score which is a positive. It's a team game and now we do have options in his position. With Roofe back I fully expect the front three to be rotated over the next few games prior to the international break.

Seems to me that folks on here getting on Alfie's back are forgetting one thing. If he is playing so badly why is SG still picking him? The manager has choices unlike last season, is Alfie playing because SG is blind? Or is he picking him because he has asked Alfie to change his style to fit with the team tactics which the last time I looked are working.

SG is clear if you are not playing for the team and fighting for the team you will be out. Alfie is doing what is being asked of him that is why he is in the team.

Nothing seems to be coming off for him just now, thought he was actually ok on Sat against the manky mob. His link up play and movement were fine, he did lose it for a wee bit and went a bit daft but definitely not trying to get sent off
And that’s the same in every game since last december it’s been fine.
Am sorry but for a 20 million striker and just doing fine every game is nowhere near good enough.
Rest for Sunday and hopefully pulls his finger out and starts on Thursday.

His touch and composure and, seemingly, fitness has deserted him. Needs a spell on the bench for the good of the team. We've got a title to win and can't afford indulging players who are out of form and out of shape.
We seem to be doing absolutely fine with him starting every week don't we. You don't win away games v Celtic and in Europe when one of your players is absolutely rotton. Is he at his best? Absolutely not. Is he contributing to our flow more than it appears to the human eye? Absolutely. He will get better.

Am sorry but for a 20 million striker and just doing fine every game is nowhere near good enough.
Keep Roofe for killie.
Who said he's a 20 million quid striker? Until anybody pays that amount thats just made up. Look at my post above. I genuinely think he's doing ok. Far from his best but he contributes to the flow

Seems to me that folks on here getting on Alfie's back are forgetting one thing. If he is playing so badly why is SG still picking him? The manager has choices unlike last season, is Alfie playing because SG is blind? Or is he picking him because he has asked Alfie to change his style to fit with the team tactics which the last time I looked are working.

SG is clear if you are not playing for the team and fighting for the team you will be out. Alfie is doing what is being asked of him that is why he is in the team.
Fairly simple.
Plays ahead of Roofe as he is coming back from injury.
Plays ahead of Itten as he is a better player.
Suspect he won't start Sunday

Who said he's a 20 million quid striker? Until anybody pays that amount thats just made up. Look at my post above. I genuinely think he's doing ok. Far from his best but he contributes to the flow
The club value him at that or he’d have been out the door for 16 to Lille.

Felt last night that if (I know) JD was in the positions Alfie was in , he scores. Confidence lacking just now.

watched the game back and yes he had a few poor touches but overall he was fine.... had some great link up play with Arfield for that chance keeper saved, where he did everything right.. hit it low and across the keeper.

I'm not worried about Alfie... just means his usual half season of brilliance will come 2nd half!

Confidence, that’s all it is just now
I agree. I think his one touch lay offs have been great, especially last night.
Unfortunately, as soon as he's in the box, his confidence has gone.
Perfect example last night, when he squared a ball to Arfield that was begging to be shot on goal.
Alfie would never have done that, over the last couple of seasons.

Perfect example last night, when he squared a ball to Arfield that was begging to be shot on goal.

This. A confident Alfie would have buried that chance without a second thought.

I agree with the poster who suggested the lack of fans may be having a negative impact. He thrives on love from the fans, and he's not getting his fix from the stands.

He will come good. Bring him on after 60 on Sunday and he'll score.

His role in the team has definitely changed, he's not being asked to play as the only goal threat this season. His movement is still good and he's still contributing but I wouldn't be against him being dropped and Roofe starting.
I think we (the fans) will need to get used to seeing him in a different role and not as our main/almost only goal threat.
He's definitely off it just now but to say he was trying to get sent off is ridiculous.

Alfie is taking time to adjust to his new role and his confidence is down a bit. one goal can change all that.
For those that are posting Roofe will be on instead of Alfie, think again, at best he'll get a twenty minute cameo role at best on Sunday according to the manager's conference call today.

Exactly what I thought when I watched it, last season he was shooting from impossible angles where he had no chance of scoring

Hes such a weird striker to judge, if I was a scout I would be nowhere near him but he just seems to get goals. Technically hes isn’t great. His build up play with the team is an asset but of late his touch has been heavy and he has lost the ball needlessly on many occasions which is perhaps even more frustrating than missed chances. Agree with most here that he needs a bit of time out of the team, I think Roofe fits our system perfectly so if fully fit I’d expect to see him start

So far this season:

Has the first touch of an elephant, doesn’t hold the ball up, gives away needless free kicks, seems to make wrong decisions a lot (ie shooting from distance rather than into the wings for the oncoming full back), his runs are poor/lacking, not getting into the same positions he used into and his finishing has been absolutely atrocious. Schoolboy stuff. Blasting the ball straight at the keeper isn’t going to score you goals, learn some subtlety...

What has happened to Alfie of August to November last season?!

Back