Morelos

So far this season:

Has the first touch of an elephant, doesn’t hold the ball up, gives away needless free kicks, seems to make wrong decisions a lot (ie shooting from distance rather than into the wings for the oncoming full back), his runs are poor/lacking, not getting into the same positions he used into and his finishing has been absolutely atrocious. Schoolboy stuff. Blasting the ball straight at the keeper isn’t going to score you goals, learn some subtlety...

What has happened to Alfie of August to November last season?!

Off the top of my head on Saturday he nutmegged Ajer flashed the ball across goal, no takers. Ball eventuallly ends up at a Barisic who if he clips it back post Alfie has a sitter.

Played his part with a one two for Kent for the foul that leads to the opener.

Again a one two with Arfield for the second.

He was one of our most influential players in getting a result against the scum.

So far this season:

Has the first touch of an elephant, doesn’t hold the ball up, gives away needless free kicks, seems to make wrong decisions a lot (ie shooting from distance rather than into the wings for the oncoming full back), his runs are poor/lacking, not getting into the same positions he used into and his finishing has been absolutely atrocious. Schoolboy stuff. Blasting the ball straight at the keeper isn’t going to score you goals, learn some subtlety...

What has happened to Alfie of August to November last season?!

That's up to Steven Gerrard to work out and to solve.

He still has that level (and more) in his locker. He's off form just now but who's to say he won't come back stronger in the second half of the season and batter in 20 goals that take us to #55?

He's here and on this form he's not going anywhere. He got wound up after being hacked by the mhutants, but didn't get sent off. Granted he could've kept the head and had a couple of chances to score and didn't take them but I am positive that he will get back to form soon.

Hope he plays with Roofe and Kent in the 3 tomorrow, I'd say his best performance of the season was at home to Dundee Utd alongside Roofe.

He clearly needs a goal or 2

he was more like himself second half v leige

in the past we’ve been so reliant on his bullish play and goals

we’re definitely playing slightly different
And he is coming deeper

but he’s still getting 2:3 decent chances to score
There just not going in yet

I think he deserves to play through this

Amazed that people are pulling out the ‘he’s in the Firmino role’ as a (completely incorrect) defence of Morelos’ recent performances.

I do wonder if they’ve ever seen Firmino play, given he’s positioned so deep that he went 324 days without a goal at Anfield last season.

He’s got no confidence just now, needs a goal, his passing was dreadful on Thursday

When does that stop becoming an excuse/reason ?

He got his 2 goals against St Mirren and we thought that was him.
He got his 2 goals against Lincoln Red Imps and we thought that was him.
He got his goal against Hibs(a belter BTW) and we thought that was him.

Yet his touch mostly remains dreadful (but he still pulled off a magnificent backheel pass for Arfield on Thursday) and his finishing is erratic. You can't fault his workrate but he still seems to be less mobile that previously.

For whatever reason, he's not the same player as last year.

We keep waiting for him to play his way back into form but it's simply not happening for him.

Off the top of my head on Saturday he nutmegged Ajer flashed the ball across goal, no takers. Ball eventuallly ends up at a Barisic who if he clips it back post Alfie has a sitter.

He was one of our most influential players in getting a result against the scum.

I agree with this. I thought he did a lot for the team on Saturday, which a lot of our fans have been moaning for him to do for a while. My main criticism would be the daft fouls he gives away in dangerous positions, other than that he definitely played his part. Also played Brown and Duffy at their own game and quite clearly got under their skin. Both booked with Brown lucky not to walk (no laughing at the back now).

Thursday was a different matter though, really struggled I thought but, that can happen after a massive effort in a previous game.

I'm amazed at people questioning his attitude. Surely we've seen enough from SG by now that he won't tolerate bad attitudes. Alfie himself was dropped only a few weeks ago for this very thing. Clearly he is training well for him to be starting every week.

I'm not ready to throw him under the bus just yet. You dont become a bad player overnight. Forward players are notoriously inconsistent, a couple of goals and he will be off and running again.

My main criticism would be the daft fouls he gives away in dangerous positions, other than that he definitely played his part.

That's the part that's creeping more and more back into his game. It's not even clever fouls, or taking them for the team. It's him barging into defenders when the ball's already been played, it's him booting the ball off opponents after a free kick's been awarded against us.

Cheap, needless and does nothing more than paint the target already on his back bigger.

We are in a good position and we can become so much better. We need a forward that puts the ball in the net.
Morelos is not that man.
Why do fans bang on as if he is some superman who just needs a spark that will set him off on goalscoring run of form?
I want him nowhere near the team.

That's the part that's creeping more and more back into his game. It's not even clever fouls, or taking them for the team. It's him barging into defenders when the ball's already been played, it's him booting the ball off opponents after a free kick's been awarded against us.

Cheap, needless and does nothing more than paint the target already on his back bigger.

I agree mate, I'm not saying Alfie doesnt need to shape here, he does. He actually gave away a very similar foul on Thursday. It was fine as it was furyher up the pitch on the halfway line and broke up their play. Doing it in our final 3rd of the pitch is just idiotic. We lost a Cup Final last season doing that very thing. Appreciate there were other factors at play and it wasnt Morelos that gave it away but I'm just making a point about basic defending. My old amateur gaffer used to bang on about it every game to the forwards and wingers about not being lazy and giving away daft fouls. 'If they cant put it into the box, they can't score'.

Apart from Roofe, obviously :)

Yep, he did a couple of decent things in the game but he was nowhere near the level he was the last game where he was able to get his body infront of the Celtic defenders, win fouls. They couldn’t handle him.

You could claim he had a different role and dropped back into midfield a bit more to preserve our lead, which tbf he did. But a lot of the basics were lacking and he’s an absolute shadow of the player he’s been.

No doubt about it, he’s the weak link in the team at the moment.

His finishing hasn’t always been the most composed but it’s now at its worst it’s been since he arrived. Same with his first touch.

So many on here excusing his form

“Lacking confidence”
“Playing a new position”

Just two of countless excuses being made.

Neither of these excuses cause a player to have a first touch like an elephant, constantly fluffing his shots, hold up play absolutely rotten and the other night along with several other games this season, he’s looked like an amateur player at times.

Said it at the time, we’ll regret rejecting that £16m bid for him as we won’t get anything close to it again.

For a good while I was clinging on to him regaining his form of the second half of 2019 however, with each passing game it is looking unlikely that he’ll regain that form again. If anything his performances have been getting worse.

For our sake, I really hope he recaptures his form from a year ago purely from a selling point of view but sadly, there are zero signs of it

So many on here excusing his form

“Lacking confidence”
“Playing a new position”

Just two of countless excuses being made.

Neither of these excuses cause a player to have a first touch like an elephant, constantly fluffing his shots, hold up play absolutely rotten and the other night along with several other games this season, he’s looked like an amateur player at times.

Said it at the time, we’ll regret rejecting that £16m bid for him as we won’t get anything close to it again.

For a good while I was clinging on to him regaining his form of the second half of 2019 however, with each passing game it is looking unlikely that he’ll regain that form again. If anything his performances have been getting worse.

For our sake, I really hope he recaptures his form from a year ago purely from a selling point of view but sadly, there are zero signs of it

Lack of confidence isn’t an excuse for taking poor touches and wasting chances? I think you’ll find it is, in fact I think you’ll find those are pretty much the primary symptoms of a striker lacking in confidence. How is it an excuse? Everything about his game right now screams no confidence, his general demeanour, always wanting an extra touch, passing up a brilliant scoring chance only to return the ball to Arfield - all signs of a player who doesn’t fancy themselves to do the business.

He needs to drop to the bench for now, some time out of the side could do him a bit of good. You don’t become a bad player overnight so he can recapture that form, hopefully the coaching team will work closely with him to make that happen. But if you’re lucky he’ll never rediscover it, we’ll flog him for £2.5m and you can say I told you so.

Lack of confidence isn’t an excuse for taking poor touches and wasting chances? I think you’ll find it is, in fact I think you’ll find those are pretty much the primary symptoms of a striker lacking in confidence. How is it an excuse? Everything about his game right now screams no confidence, his general demeanour, always wanting an extra touch, passing up a brilliant scoring chance only to return the ball to Arfield - all signs of a player who doesn’t fancy themselves to do the business.

He needs to drop to the bench for now, some time out of the side could do him a bit of good. You don’t become a bad player overnight so he can recapture that form, hopefully the coaching team will work closely with him to make that happen. If you’re lucky he’ll never rediscover it, we’ll flog him for £2.5m and you can say I told you so.
I’m genuinely astounded you even replied.

I’m genuinely astounded you even replied.
It’s not looking good for Morelos right now but I think the way people are laying into him is bordering on taking the piss. I’ve avoided a lot of the threads on him in recent weeks because they’ve become almost nauseating but every now and then I’ll have an occasional glance and there’s just too many people who are relentless in putting the boot in and quite frankly revelling in his lack of form.

He’s been dropped before and I imagine he’ll be dropped again which is what needs to happen, but as much as it’ll be good to see what we can do with another striker up front it’ll be great to get a break from seeing him get dragged every day.

It’s not looking good for Morelos right now but I think the way people are laying into him is bordering on taking the piss. I’ve avoided a lot of the threads on him in recent weeks because they’ve become almost nauseating but every now and then I’ll have an occasional glance and there’s just too many people who are relentless in putting the boot in and quite frankly revelling in his lack of form.

He’s been dropped before and I imagine he’ll be dropped again which is what needs to happen, but as much as it’ll be good to see what we can do with another striker up front it’ll be great to get a break from seeing him get dragged every day.
I agree with every word mate.

The guy has turned into a right enigma, you cant deny in 2020 all the negative feelings and viewpoints against him, however, he still shows signs in our build up play that are positive , he still rattles defenders especially physically. I personally hope that he stays till the end of the season and along with Roofe, Itten, and Defoe all play there part towards our 55th title.

Needs to be benched for Itten/Roofe/Defoe today.

What one of them ?

The Roofe that the manager says isn’t close to doing 90 minutes ?

The Itten who personally acknowledged that he’s working with the staff on his development ?

Or Defoe, who only really does a job when the ball’s in the penalty box ?

I’ll trust the manager with his decision today. I think he’s earned that trust.

What one of them ?

The Roofe that the manager says isn’t close to doing 90 minutes ?

The Itten who personally acknowledged that he’s working with the staff on his development ?

Or Defoe, who only really does a job when the ball’s in the penalty box ?

I’ll trust the manager with his decision today. I think he’s earned that trust.

Itten to start and Roofe to replace him later on.

Morelos needs dropped, it’s past defending him now.

Itten to start and Roofe to replace him later on.

Morelos needs dropped, it’s past defending him now.

Im not defending Morelos, and have been critical of where he is now compared to his peak.

Im simply pointing out that this isn’t as obvious as some make it seem.

As The great Jock Wallace said many times ‘we won, didn’t we ?’.

As I said, I’ll back Gerrard’s decision today. He’s forgotten more about football than most on here know.

He’s just low in confidence. A goal or two will have him back firing.
People said the same at the start of the season then he actually did score a goal or two, five to be precise, but it hasn’t had the effect of getting him firing again.

There are definitely some on here who seem to take pleasure in how poor he’s been, but there are others who are in complete denial.

In general I think we’re all just frustrated because as well as we’ve been playing, we could be literally out of this world if we had a fit and focused Alfredo Morelos from this time last year.

He needs to drop to the bench for now, some time out of the side could do him a bit of good. You don’t become a bad player overnight so he can recapture that form, hopefully the coaching team will work closely with him to make that happen. But if you’re lucky he’ll never rediscover it, we’ll flog him for £2.5m and you can say I told you so.

Since January he’s been playing like the player that arrived at us, very raw and erratic. IMO his touch etc isn’t down to a lack of confidence. Even during his golden spell with us, he was prone to the wild shots and poor touches (granted it was less frequent that he’s doing it now).

I agree he needs dropped, starting with today hopefully as if he keeps getting a starting spot, Itten and even Defoe will start to wonder if they’ll ever get a fair crack at it.

Hopefully with Lille bidding £16m, even if Morelos continues with his form, they’ll come back in January and offer us an 8 figure sum although I think they’d be mental to do so if Morelos form continues as it has been.

For our sake, we need him back firing on form to get £16m offers again.

Back