Morelos

I didn’t think he had a great game to be honest. Sakala was head and shoulders in his work-rate. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Roofe taking his place soon.
I would agree it wasn’t a great game for him overall. After a very poor first half though he had his best all-round display for a while in the 2nd half. That said, I just think a fit Roofe is the better option for us - his movement is better and he’s a better finisher.

His stats would suggest otherwise
Stats in the first half?

I’ll go with what I seen with my own eyes.

Opening 20-25, think he attempted 4/5 passes under no pressure and 3 straight to Dundee players

He missed a sitter one on one and then on HT at least a half chance cut back which he fluffed and the ball trickled into the keepers hands

As I said, second half was a different Morelos.

Had he been subbed at HT I don’t think anyone would have thought Gio was out of order or harsh

He did give it away regularly or lost possession. Better second half though.
no need for cheek, I don’t need to check his stats cos I was at the game and watched him
I think those of us who were at the game just have seen a different game from those who watched it on TV……….according to the armchair experts on here
Except that the stats demonstrate you are wrong.

Gotta laugh at the "no need for cheek" then replying with this in the next post "according to the armchair experts on here".

The reason you need the stats is your personal biases have not allowed you to assess the game accurately.

Last edited:
I think those of us who were at the game just have seen a different game from those who watched it on TV……….according to the armchair experts on here

Well that's the thing, watching on the TV you get to see things again and generally a better view of of happened.

I was at the game btw. Thought Alfie had a fine game.

And if he had 80% pass completion from 45 passes, that's pretty good for a centre forward

For the last couple of years it has been rare for me to have genuinely enjoyed a Morelos performance.

Yes, he will pop up with a goal here and there - as he should, considering the sheer number of chances we create.

But he is not a regular goal threat in any way, shape or form.

Frustrating is the right word mate.

As said, I will be more than fine for us to sell him in the summer. I think moving on will be the best thing for all parties.
I don't 100% know where I stand with Alfie. In Truth it seems to change every quarter. Probably for some of the reasons underlined in this post and above.

I do know, however, that I really enjoy when he does do well, and there is nothing like an Alfie hype to get the blood going.

But I can't find fault in your post. He really is a frustrating bear.

Hope you come back to retract your criticism mate. You missed a lot.
I just watched his first 20mins and I've stopped at this point as this was pretty much how I saw the game.

It is possible that someone like yourself may be missing the negative impacts he has on the game and not that I'm missing the positives.

He had 3 positive interactions over the first 20...

1st min good pass to sakala
5th good touch to arfield
10th good pass to sakala

That was it....

At the other end of the scale he had 9 negative or passive interactions over the first 20...

2nd min slow play on right wing - dispossessed
3rd slack pass to Arfield - intercepted
4th stray pass to opposition player McGowan
4th slows breakaway/momentum on rhs and then back pass to Kamara
7th loses aerial battle
9th great ball in from LW from Aribo across 6 yard box - Morelos was 3 yards off the pace as to where your striker should be
15th Corner Morelos unable to get infront of defender - either outmuscled, positioned poorly or possibly fouled.
16th stray pass to tav - intercepted
20th Chucked pressing CH crowd reacted to this angrily - This here is exactly why he draws criticism, if he worked endlessly like other players and showed a more eager attitude on the park then I think that would mean everything to the fans.

7th loses aerial battle
9th great ball in from LW from Aribo across 6 yard box - Morelos was 3 yards off the pace as to where your striker should be
15th Corner Morelos unable to get infront of defender - either outmuscled, positioned poorly or possibly fouled.
You didnt watch with an open mind, you watched looking to justify your preconceived agenda if this is some of the "evidence" you are using.

Poorly placed passes fair enough.

But some of this is laughable and you clutching at straws to support what you already believe.

Last edited:
I've replied to that mate with a detailed breakdown of Morelos contribution first 20. Makes interesting reading. If someone else could be arsed to do the remaining 70mins we could get the full picture but thats how I saw the full game with a slight improvement 2nd half but not much.

You didnt watch with an open mind, you watched looking to justify your preconceived agenda if this is some of the "evidence" you are using.

Poorly placed passes far enough.

But some of this is laughable and you clutching at straws to support what you already believe.
Not a chance mate. With a very open mind. You tell me where I've warped something?

I just watched his first 20mins and I've stopped at this point as this was pretty much how I saw the game.

It is possible that someone like yourself may be missing the negative impacts he has on the game and not that I'm missing the positives.

10th good pass to sakala

That was it....

At the other end of the scale he had 9 negative or passive interactions over the first 20...

7th loses aerial battle
20th Chucked pressing CH crowd reacted to this angrily - This here is exactly why he draws criticism, if he worked endlessly like other players and showed a more eager attitude on the park then I think that would mean everything to the fans.

Aye but you didn’t watch with an open mind mate

Is tailwind the new scaramanga?

He looked like his old self in patches, especially second half. More of that and we'll all be very happy.

Poorly placed passes far enough.

But some of this is laughable and you clutching at straws to support what

Aye but you didn’t watch with an open mind mate

Is tailwind the new scaramanga?
Och right that's it I'm out of this one. If yous canny accept that's a fair appraisal of his contribution over the first 20 tell me what I've warped or twisted.

Don't just hit out with you've not got an open mind ffs give me a break.

Morelos needs to do more, and we as fans should all expect more from him. It's not Morelos FC it'd Rangers FC and every player needs to do their best and leave everything out on the pitch. B-D

It really wasn’t though.
Fair enough. If you think he was poor then that’s your opinion. My opinion he had a great game.

If he scores one or more of the chances created for him and ends up 2 goals, plus the goal he makes himself today, it’s talked about as one of his best performances as a Rangers striker

Och right that's it I'm out of this one. If yous canny accept that's a fair appraisal of his contribution over the first 20 tell me what I've warped or twisted.

Morelos needs to do more, and we as fans should all expect more from him. It's not Morelos FC it'd Rangers FC and every player needs to do their best and leave everything out on the pitch. B-D
Rangers Review player ratings from the game today.

Aribo 8, Morelos 8.

Fortunately a game lasts 90 minutes and not just 20.

https://www.rangersreview.co.uk/new...gers-player-ratings-joe-aribo-dazzles-dundee/

10th good pass to sakala

That was it....

7th loses aerial battle

Some of those things on your second list are a fucking nonsense

Don’t think my sarcasm translated well in my last post.

I was ridiculing tailwind, not you.

Like what mate?

If you watch those incidents then I can't see how you'd disagree.

He didn't win a header? He didn't get to the ball first ot a corner? He didn't out pace players?

You know there is two teams in a game and sometimes they can have better physical attributes like being taller and faster than our players?

I'll give you his slack passes but most of the other things on the list to justify your view that it was a poor performance are just absolute garbage.

Except that the stats demonstrate you are wrong.

Gotta laugh at the "no need for cheek" then replying with this in the next post "according to the armchair experts on here".

The reason you need the stats is your personal biases have not allowed you to assess the game accurately.
Usual with certain folk on morelos on here. They probably still read the suns match ratings.

Would love to see how many successful passes he made today as his link up play was excellent. Sure he had a couple of bad passes which went to the opposition but overall his contribution was excellent and only Alfie could score a goal like that where he just outmuscled the two Hibs defenders.
A couple of seasons back when he was getting loads of stick on here I said we would miss him when he was gone. I stick by that. Personally, I would like him to be at Ibrox for many a year yet. Still a lot of goals and misses in Alfie but he'll keep on getting them for a few seasons yet if given a chance.
Love when he poked that Fhud Griffiths in the neck. He’s improved under Gio long May it continue

Stats in the first half?

Opening 20-25, think he attempted 4/5 passes under no pressure and 3 straight to Dundee players

He missed a sitter one on one and then on HT at least a half chance cut back which he fluffed and the ball trickled into the keepers hands

Had he been subbed at HT I don’t think anyone would have thought Gio was out of order or harsh
Tailwind would have probably switched it off if Morelos was subbed at half time he seems to be a bigger fan of his than the actual club.

I just feel like his times coming to a natural end and it’d be best for both parties for him to move. I love him and he’s gave the club some special moments but I’m still not sure his desire is as much as it was. Who knows.

One thing for sure is he he hits his best we will piss all over the League.

He didn't win a header? He didn't get to the ball first ot a corner? He didn't out pace players?

You know there is two teams in a game and sometimes they can have better physical attributes like being taller and faster than our players?

I'll give you his slack passes but most of the other things on the list to justify your view that it was a poor performance are just absolute garbage.
I take your point but I said a negative or passive effect on the game.

If you watch the points I've made you can see he could have done better that's all.

OK maybe its hyper critical.

Thought he was fantastic today but then I’m an Alfie fan boy

love him and was delighted that he got a goal
He was ok today, he worked damn hard for his goal, I will absolutely give him that. However, he looked short of someone who worked all 90 minutes.

Some of his link up play today was better. However, plaudits such as excellent or fantastic are wide of the mar for me. I expect a lot more from him, should have had at least 3 goals today as our main striker.

Stats in the first half?

You forgot to include the 3 clear goal scoring opportunities he laid on in the first half. Once for Sakala and twice for Arfield.

Back