Morelos

Isje 931

Are we in a lose/lose situation with him?

Plays well the next few months he will undoubtedly be snapped up and we lose him for nothing.

Plays mediocre, why keep him?

I'd like him to stay, Beale will get the most out of him and to buy a striker of similar quality would cost millions, tbh I think he's gone. Don't see him renewing

Replacing him would cost millions - if you based this on the 2019 version then I fully agree.

If you based it on his most recent version this season, I’m not convinced it would cost millions. Tynecastle aside, his performances this season have been by and large awful as is his physical condition.

He’s shown over 5 years he can’t be relied upon to give us a full season and it’s for that reason it should be a thanks for your service but it’s time to part company in the summer.

he will need to wait and see what offers are on the table,

Key advantage in negotiating is the ability to walk away. we need to define our valuation and then walk away if he doesn't accept. he is not irreplaceable

Replacing him would cost millions - if you based this on the 2019 version then I fully agree.

If you based it on his most recent version this season, I’m not convinced it would cost millions. Tynecastle aside, his performances this season have been by and large awful as is his physical condition.

He’s shown over 5 years he can’t be relied upon to give us a full season and it’s for that reason it should be a thanks for your service but it’s time to part company in the summer.

He had 5 months out, missed pre season and the previous manager wasn't exactly up on keeping players in prime condition, he saw that as the players responsibility.

Morelos is clearly getting back to form. I'd keep him if we can do the right deal with him.

If he keeps playing the way he is, my guess is he'll be here next season. He's not getting a better offer than Rangers at this point.

I’m not convinced mate - I would be amazed if there are not better terms on the table for him already elsewhere.

Highly unlikely they will be from a club as big as us though.

Time will tell I suppose!!

If he starts scoring against Celtic and in the League Cup final and hopefully Scottish Cup final then the question of keeping him can be asked. Yet to show up in the big games in Scotland.
Scoring against the run of the mill is not enough.

For him to stay he'll be looking for a pay rise and there would be another signing on fee. For me, that's hard to justify based on performances over the last 12 months.

On his day yes, and if he was willing to sign on for the same money then I'd be inclined to give him another 2-3 years. He's probably our top earner just now (or at least top 3) so is there even room to increase it?

Is the Buff (and Kent) taking a gamble on injuries ? No one will sign an injured player. Would we offer him a new contract if he suffered a Hagi style injury in the next month or so ?

I don't think we'd offer an extension on the same terms. I don't think he'd accept an offer on reduced terms.

It's a frustrating situation to be in as when on it, there's no-one that can compare and would cost us millions to replace. He's been through the phase we all hate to see too many times, even when Beale was here previously with Gerrard, so it definitely wasn't just a Gio issue.

Tough choice to make for the board and glad I don't have to make it.

The clubs top European goal scorer? Ok
That old chestnut was always going to appear, the Europa League one.
He's had too many chances against that lot and not made his mark, not done it it at Hampden in big games when it matters.
Do you remember a striker by the name of Ally McCoist? Old firm games and Cup finals that's what its all about.
Trying to throw the Europa scoring record in his defence is just buffoonery.

I don't think we'd offer an extension on the same terms. I don't think he'd accept an offer on reduced terms.

It's a frustrating situation to be in as when on it, there's no-one that can compare and would cost us millions to replace. He's been through the phase we all hate to see too many times, even when Beale was here previously with Gerrard, so it definitely wasn't just a Gio issue.

Tough choice to make for the board and glad I don't have to make it.
We signed him for £1m.

Good scouting/recruitment can find deals like this.

If he starts scoring against Celtic and in the League Cup final and hopefully Scottish Cup final then the question of keeping him can be asked. Yet to show up in the big games in Scotland.
Scoring against the run of the mill is not enough.
I think we can thank him for his service, and let him go.
That said, youcannot honestly level only scoring against run of the mill teams against him.
he has been tremendous in Europe .

He's had too many chances against that lot and not made his mark, not done it it at Hampden in big games when it matters.
Do you remember a striker by the name of Ally McCoist? Old firm games and Cup finals that's what its all about.
Aye his European goals weren't important at at all. The mind set of just scoring in Old Firm games and Cup finals is incredible. What Cup finals has Morelos been available for to score in?

Not sure where he goes from here. He won't go to a club with a bigger fan base or a club more likely to win trophies. He might get a club in France/Portugal/ Spain but they would not be too level and would they pay more than he is getting from us at the moment. I don't know. As most folk say I would keep a fit and focused Alfie but who knows. We definitely in my opinion need two strikers in the summer if he goes as Roofe can't be guaranteed to be fit.

An alternative view on this could be, take his european goals away and the money that we gained from them and see where we are. Probably looking at celtic having more than ten in a row. He has made a massive amount for this club. Fair enough he has started the season out of shape bu everyone on the team was out of shape before beale came in and morelos was out injured for months. I think if he keeps improving the way he has been I would definitely give him another contract. I think he's a very hard player to replace.

He really does divide opinion within our own support never mind the opposition.

A fit and motivated Morelos is very difficult to replace but the way he's been pre Hearts this season has been so frustrating. Whether that's down to the player or the way he was managed before Beale is up for debate. Again is it the Beale effect or the fact he's playing for a move that's seen the old Alfredo recently?

I'd be slightly disappointed to see him leave for nothing but that could be quickly forgotten if this new No. 9 Beale has in mind turns out to be as good or better.

He had 5 months out, missed pre season and the previous manager wasn't exactly up on keeping players in prime condition, he saw that as the players responsibility.

Morelos is clearly getting back to form. I'd keep him if we can do the right deal with him.
Sorry but Morelos condition can’t be blamed on Gio.

He had a belly ffs.

Hagi was out for over double the length of time Morelos was yet Hagi didn’t return to the club in the summer with a belly

The hoops some posters will jump through to deflect from Morelos errors never fails to amaze me

One year extension on similar terms and a nominal signing on fee, with him agreeing to screw the nut, would be ideal.

We're in the phase of his tenure at Rangers where he will decide how much he wants to stay and he will demonstrate that decision on the park. A fit and motivated Morelos is as good a striker as we've had since the 2012 upheaval. The key problem is that whatever he shows over the remainder of the season is no guarantee of what he will give us thereafter. I hope the final decision rests with Beale as I trust his judgement of a player.

Aye his European goals weren't important at at all. The mind set of just scoring in Old Firm games and Cup finals is incredible. What Cup finals has Morelos been available for to score in?
The making of real Rangers legends.
Listen no one is disputing his Europa League goals but the other is much more important as our lackmof trophies will testify.
Morelos missed a penalty in the League Cup final and if he had not had himself stupidly suspended he would have been available against Aberdeen in another League Cup semi final where we were left without a recognised striker.

Two points

Who the fvck uses the word buffoonery

And why is pointing out that he’s our top scorer in the most difficult stage to score classed as “buffoonery”?

Even if he plays well until the end of the season I don’t see clubs from the top divisions coming in for him, the reality is all the stars have to align at once for Alfie to play well. There will be more money on offer elsewhere but it will probably be the US league or similar

I wouldn’t be against him staying but it has to be on terms that suit the club. I do have concerns about his conditioning long term so would not want him as one of our highest earners on a long term deal

Reactions: TN8
I actually think its the opposite. Hes gave us some incredible performances and played an immense role in securing the clubs financial footing with his Europa League goals. No one can ever take that away from him and he cost us a pittance. If he leaves hes repayed his fee many, many times over.

If he stays, hes likely on reduced terms (i believe i read this on here, with performance bonuses). So you get him cheaper. We know he fits the way Beale wants to play too. So all in all. I dont think we can lose here.

What i will say though, is if he does stay. I still think we should bring in a 9 that is in his mould. Younger guy, Krstovic perhaps? Genuine competition with a view to replacing him over the next few years. For all i love Colak, i prefer him when hes in the box. Thats where he does his best work.

Even if he plays well until the end of the season I don’t see clubs from the top divisions coming in for him, the reality is all the stars have to align at once for Alfie to play well. There will be more money on offer elsewhere but it will probably be the US league or similar

I wouldn’t be against him staying but it has to be on terms that suit the club. I do have concerns about his conditioning long term so would not want him as one of our highest earners on a long term deal
Absolutely this
No top league club is coming in for him. There are many more reliable options out there for them
Any contract should be for a maximum of 2 years. If we were to give him a 3 or 4 year deal on improved terms you can absolutely guarantee he will be away "enjoying his summer" and it'll be another belly to work off come July

I’m a little torn by this. I’m obviously delighted to see a rejuvenated looking Morelos which he undoubtedly is. Game by game he’s beginning to look sharper and more like his old self. I think he’s one of these players that needs to be loved and he’ll get that with Beale. With Gio, you sensed that he felt aggrieved at being overlooked in the early part of the season in favour of Colak who isn’t in the same league (when both at their best) for me. But rather get himself in the best shape possible he seemed to sulk. He has shown over a period of years that he can’t be relied upon when things go wrong. His performances drop off from 9 or 10/10 unplayable, to 2/10 waste of space, when his mood swings. He’s been that 2 or 3/10 Alfie for periods lasting too long when he doesn’t contribute.

For all that, if the price is right I’d definitely keep him. Given his lack of form in the recent past (how long has it been?) I’ll be surprised if anyone in one of the ‘big leagues’ take a chance on him. I reckon he’ll sign a new contract. Sometimes it’s also easy to forget just how long he’s been here, this being his 6th season.

Sorry but Morelos condition can’t be blamed on Gio.

He had a belly ffs.

Hagi was out for over double the length of time Morelos was yet Hagi didn’t return to the club in the summer with a belly

The hoops some posters will jump through to deflect from Morelos errors never fails to amaze me

I didnt absolve Morelos of any blame.

He has a responsibility to look after himself.

What I'm saying is the previous management regime put that responsibility onto the players to be professional and keep their fitness on track. The current management team put a lot more focus on the coaches to ensure the fitness of the players. It's documented that at the elite level clubs that players were expected to look after themselves and training was focused on technique and tactics.

Under this regime I think Morelos would be much more likely to be as close to peak condition as possible.

I'm not jumping through any hoops to defend him either. Only making an observation that I think this management team would keep him in better condition.

We have had great value for the £1m investment. So if he leaves for free it’s still been good business.

However I do see a change since Beale came in and I think that player is one who has huge value to the club, so wouldn’t be shocked to see him sign on as he does love the club.

Was getting fed up with him earlier in the season, thinking Colak was the way forward, but since Beale came back, Morelos is much more suited for the way we play and Colak has been poor in the minutes he has had.

I'd offer him a new deal, but wouldn't be too bothered if he choose to go elsewhere.

I actually think its the opposite. Hes gave us some incredible performances and played an immense role in securing the clubs financial footing with his Europa League goals. No one can ever take that away from him and he cost us a pittance. If he leaves hes repayed his fee many, many times over.

If he stays, hes likely on reduced terms (i believe i read this on here, with performance bonuses). So you get him cheaper. We know he fits the way Beale wants to play too. So all in all. I dont think we can lose here.

What i will say though, is if he does stay. I still think we should bring in a 9 that is in his mould. Younger guy, Krstovic perhaps? Genuine competition with a view to replacing him over the next few years. For all i love Colak, i prefer him when hes in the box. Thats where he does his best work.

As well as the joy we got as fans from competing with good European teams again in the last 5 years, the money we earned from it has enabled the club to gradually improve the playing squad again.

Without Europe, we lose millions & would be under significant financial pressure.

The Bassey sale is a further illustration of how Europe has been huge to us HR.

Back