Morelos

If he starts scoring against Celtic and in the League Cup final and hopefully Scottish Cup final then the question of keeping him can be asked. Yet to show up in the big games in Scotland.
Scoring against the run of the mill is not enough.
He has done well in Europe bar this year

The issue with Morelos is the reliability.

We tend to fall into the trap of relying heavily on him and each season there is an issue, infact the only season I can't remember there being an issue with Morelos is the 55 season. This wouldn't be a major issue if we didn't have such a significant financial outlay on Morelos or the issues weren't self inflicted but both are true.

We have had seasons de-railed because of Morelos issues which has costs us vital points, again this wouldn't be a major issue if we didn't have so much resources tied up in Morelos and relied so heavily on him.

I consider Morelos a bit like an old unreliable Range Rover, cracking to have when it's running but what's the point in having it if it breaks down every few months, might as well just get something a bit more modest and reliable.

How anyone can think that Morelos is suddenly going to be a striker we can trust and rely on over a season is a mystery. To not only rely on him buy make him our highest player on a new contract. Wild.

Exactly, I would 100% be on board with Morelos staying on with significantly reduced terms but he can get equal to what he is getting the now or more elsewhere.

We need reliability and for the outlay that would be required to keep Morelos it just isn't worth it.

I’d sign him on a new deal on reduced terms, with a view of him hitting proper form and selling as soon as we can. Simply maximising the return nothing else.

If we could sign him up, he gives us a good few months now playing for that deal (he’s clearly upped his level now to win a deal here or elsewhere) then we got £5m in the summer that would be brilliant.

He’s been brilliant, when on form, but that’s never sustained even for ans long ans 6 months and he simply can’t be trusted to even remain fit.

Last edited:
We should be protecting our asset and selling in a year or so he might not go for 16 mil but about 5 or 6 in the future

If he uses his brains he gets fitter and scores goals and his stock rises again .
We win in this situation on the football park but will lose out when some club with more money takes him for nothing .

The issue with Morelos is the reliability.

We tend to fall into the trap of relying heavily on him and each season there is an issue, infact the only season I can't remember there being an issue with Morelos is the 55 season. This wouldn't be a major issue if we didn't have such a significant financial outlay on Morelos or the issues weren't self inflicted but both are true.

We have had seasons de-railed because of Morelos issues which has costs us vital points, again this wouldn't be a major issue if we didn't have so much resources tied up in Morelos and relied so heavily on him.

I consider Morelos a bit like an old unreliable Range Rover, cracking to have when it's running but what's the point in having it if it breaks down every few months, might as well just get something a bit more modest and reliable.

I think this is a key point. Added to his unreliability is his lack of consistency over a full season - he's been here 5 years now and I can't think of one full season where he was consistent across the piece.

His goalscoring record for us, particularly in Europe, is clearly very impressive and he's given us some really magical memories, however disguised amongst those goalscoring stats are the countless sitters he's missed in big matches that we've dropped points in, most recently the CL group games and OF at Ibrox.

For £30k a week and as our main striker I also cannot accept his diabolical Old Firm record.

I'd like him to be offered a new contract, we are seeing how important he is to our team when he's supposedly fat and not interested

Yeah a fit Morelos and a fit Roofe (for an extended period) would be excellent.

Roofe will be entering the final year of his contract come May/June so perhaps he will be looking to the future as I don't see us extending his contract
Yes, I think Beale rates Roofe as do most supporters is just he's never available through one injury or another but we knew that when we bought him all the same.

Two points

Who the fvck uses the word buffoonery

And why is pointing out that he’s our top scorer in the most difficult stage to score classed as “buffoonery”?
Two points.

The Champions League is the most difficult stage to score.

How many old firm games has he played in and how many missed chances has he had in these games?
I'll give you 2 in the most recent game that could have made an impact on the result, that's without working further back.
In terms of Rangers winning trophies these games are the most important along with cup games especially the latter stages when we need the main man to step forward.
I use the word buffoonery as you always get the aye but he scored so many in Europe.
With our lack of trophies and the way he has been bumming about this line is worn out now.
Apologies if any of the words fly over your head.

Two points.

How many old firm games has he played in and how many missed chances has he had in these games?
I'll give you 2 in the most recent game that could have made an impact on the result, that's without working further back.
In terms of Rangers winning trophies these games are the most important along with cup games especially the latter stages when we need the main man to step forward.
I use the word buffoonery as you always get the aye but he scored so many in Europe.
With our lack of trophies and the way he has been bumming about this line is worn out now.
They are the most important games and we need someone who can put them to the sword.

Two points.

How many goals did Kris Boyd score against Celtic? Is he regarded as one of our greatest strikers?

His goals in Europe have been vital for us in the bigger picture. We wouldn’t be where we are now without them.

The porto team he scored 2 against got to a UCL SF (maybe quarter, would need to fact check), so yes, it is indeed against the top level.

That old chestnut was always going to appear, the Europa League one.
He's had too many chances against that lot and not made his mark, not done it it at Hampden in big games when it matters.
Do you remember a striker by the name of Ally McCoist? Old firm games and Cup finals that's what its all about.
Trying to throw the Europa scoring record in his defence is just buffoonery.
European goals don’t matter?

We don't want to lose either him or Kent but whatever happens we'll deal with it, as Beale has stated many times. He's already spoke about having a striking target who will be available in the summer.

How many goals did Kris Boyd score against Celtic? Is he regarded as one of our greatest strikers?

His goals in Europe have been vital for us in the bigger picture. We wouldn’t be where we are now without them.

The porto team he scored 2 against got to a UCL SF (maybe quarter, would need to fact check), so yes, it is indeed against the top level.

Also had a diabolical OF record, but played alongside Kenny Miller who scored against them quite frequently. As did Novo.

The making of real Rangers legends.
Listen no one is disputing his Europa League goals but the other is much more important as our lackmof trophies will testify.
Morelos missed a penalty in the League Cup final and if he had not had himself stupidly suspended he would have been available against Aberdeen in another League Cup semi final where we were left without a recognised striker.
People miss penalties ffs. Get over it. The vibe from some fans towards Morelos is sickening tbh. Makes a mistake and there's a pile on, scores a goal and we'll that's his job.

They are the most important games and we need someone who can put them to the sword.
On that subject I always find it amusing when posters kid themselves on in here that the tims fear Morelos.

Thankfully I don’t know too many of them other than the odd ones via work and at 5 a sides but those that I do know certainly don’t fear him and are wanting him to stay at us.

Given he’s managed 2 goals in many many games against them, it’s easy to see why.

On that subject I always find it amusing when posters kid themselves on in here that the tims fear Morelos.

Thankfully I don’t know too many of them other than the odd ones via work and at 5 a sides but those that I do know certainly don’t fear him and are wanting him to stay at us.

Given he’s managed 2 goals in many many games against them, it’s easy to see why.
Yes, it's not got any validity at all posters on here get carried away at times.

He had 5 months out, missed pre season and the previous manager wasn't exactly up on keeping players in prime condition, he saw that as the players responsibility.

Morelos is clearly getting back to form. I'd keep him if we can do the right deal with him.

Always the same, everyone else's fault bar Alfredo's.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Morelos took a lucrative contract somewhere in the Middle East.

Time is running out for him to get fully in shape and prove he’s capable of at least some sort of form

Morelos polarises opinion.
Ability wise he’s the best centre forward we have.
His European record speaks for himself and ability to lead the line and bring others into play.
Negative is basically his attitude and inability to keep himself in prime condition.
This is all Alfredo’s fault/weakness.

Whatever anyone on here thinks or believes MB will decide his future if Alfredo will put pen to paper which is a big if.
MB has already said he wants him to stay playing wise but appreciates he may have to do without.
It is pie in the sky that Alfredo would consider staying on reduced wages.

The key question for me is whether Alfredo would be value for money if he signed a new contract.

Would we have the odd fitness concern in future absolutely!
Would a firing Alfredo and remember he’s only about 26yr old be an asset both onfield and be a saleable asset.
He seems to be on the way back under MB .
I would say yes to both.

Finally you have to decide the money Alfie’s new contract would cost the club.
-Signing on fee and wages against bringing in someone else of comparable quality.
To bring in someone new and of a comparable quality would be say £5m + wages would be considerably more than you would have to give Alfredo.
Would that person be more or less likely to make the impact Alfredo has and may do in the future.
We have tried others and not as effective as him even with his downside.

On balance I would say unlikely and Alfredo even with all his faults if he would stay remains the best option.
If he won’t stay move on.

Don’t think this will be a popular opinion haha.

It’s a no from me. He’s let us down once too often. Love him, hope he keeps scoring and wish him well, but we need leaders and Alfie is an energy sapper when the chips are down.

Morelos polarises opinion.
Ability wise he’s the best centre forward we have.
His European record speaks for himself and ability to lead the line and bring others into play.
Negative is basically his attitude and inability to keep himself in prime condition.
This is all Alfredo’s fault/weakness.

Whatever anyone on here thinks or believes MB will decide his future if Alfredo will put pen to paper which is a big if.
MB has already said he wants him to stay playing wise but appreciates he may have to do without.
It is pie in the sky that Alfredo would consider staying on reduced wages.

The key question for me is whether Alfredo would be value for money if he signed a new contract.

Would we have the odd fitness concern in future absolutely!
Would a firing Alfredo and remember he’s only about 26yr old be an asset both onfield and be a saleable asset.
He seems to be on the way back under MB .
I would say yes to both.

Finally you have to decide the money Alfie’s new contract would cost the club.
-Signing on fee and wages against bringing in someone else of comparable quality.
To bring in someone new and of a comparable quality would be say £5m + wages would be considerably more than you would have to give Alfredo.
Would that person be more or less likely to make the impact Alfredo has and may do in the future.
We have tried others and not as effective as him even with his downside.

On balance I would say unlikely and Alfredo even with all his faults if he would stay remains the best option.
If he won’t stay move on.

Don’t think this will be a popular opinion haha.

Even if that figure were accurate, we'd be signing someone with a better profile than Morelos.

Morelos is 27 this year...footballers at our level don't tend to go for big money after that age. Whereas I'd imagine if we were signing a new striker they'd be a lot younger.

Replacing him would cost millions - if you based this on the 2019 version then I fully agree.

If you based it on his most recent version this season, I’m not convinced it would cost millions. Tynecastle aside, his performances this season have been by and large awful as is his physical condition.

He’s shown over 5 years he can’t be relied upon to give us a full season and it’s for that reason it should be a thanks for your service but it’s time to part company in the summer.
He, like many others suffered under the last manager. Beale seems to be getting him back on track, he's already looking leaner and sharper than a few weeks ago. Like the guy, crap we'll lose him for nothing.

Even if that figure were accurate, we'd be signing someone with a better profile than Morelos.

Morelos is 27 this year...footballers at our level don't tend to go for big money after that age. Whereas I'd imagine if we were signing a new striker they'd be a lot younger.
I’m not sure about footballers at 27 yrs don’t go for big money.
To use an extreme example how much do you think Harry Kane would go for if he runs down his contract?
£5m is chicken feed for EPL and Championship players are going for that and much in excess of that and 27 years old is peak years.
I do agree if we signed a new player it’s likely to be younger but then again I ‘d expect a drop off in quality.
Would the tolerant people on here allow a younger player time to develop especially if direct replacement for Alfredo.hmmm.
Just my opinion.

Morelos was better against Hearts, it’s finally sunk in that he’s got no chance of a decent club other than us it seems to me so is playing for a contract.

If he performs between now and the end of the season I’d give him one, but sell as soon as possible. He’s a financial asset that way atleast.

Can’t be trusted to remain fit or provide a sustained run of form, he’s never had a single season where he’s not had a long spell of poor performances. Consistency is one of a few big issues with the boy.

Are we in a lose/lose situation with him?

Plays well the next few months he will undoubtedly be snapped up and we lose him for nothing.

Plays mediocre, why keep him?

I'd like him to stay, Beale will get the most out of him and to buy a striker of similar quality would cost millions, tbh I think he's gone. Don't see him renewing

If Morelos stays, assuming we even offer a new deal, won’t be staying on the basis of form between now and the end of the season.

It’ll be a combination of his performances, discipline on and off the pitch over the last few years (which is a mixed bag if we’re being honest) versus his salary expectations.

I think he’ll be looking for and we’d need to stretch to £40k/week and make him the highest paid player at the club to keep him.

I don’t the club will view him as “worth it”.

I think the club will know his demands (Park said as much at the AGM) and prob thought “fück that”
His reps have prob indicated intention to leave at the end of the season and the club will be planning to that effect.

Hopefully he continues his form until the eve of the season. We need it!

It’s up to him if he wants to go for a pay day or stay at the same pay and get his head together and play in Europe.

Why on earth would we want the best all round front man and leader of the line in Scotland to leave us on a free?
If we took him on a 3 yr deal, £500k signing on fee and £30k a week plus bonus payments if we sold him for £3m summer 2024 it would still make us money

Last edited:
So it's the entire squads fault they weren't fit enough this season then?
IMO fitness levels weren’t as good under Gio as they were under Gerrard.

However, no other first team player returned from summer holidays to pre season with a belly and overweight.

That’s fully on Morelos.

I’m not sure about footballers at 27 yrs don’t go for big money.
To use an extreme example how much do you think Harry Kane would go for if he runs down his contract?
£5m is chicken feed for EPL and Championship players are going for that and much in excess of that and 27 years old is peak years.
I do agree if we signed a new player it’s likely to be younger but then again I ‘d expect a drop off in quality.
Would the tolerant people on here allow a younger player time to develop especially if direct replacement for Alfredo.hmmm.
Just my opinion.

You're right it's an extreme example and not comparable at all. Kane is a world class striker so of course he would go for big money still.

If Morelos signed a new deal and had a good season, say scoring 20-25 goals, how much do you realistically think he'd go for?

So it's the entire squads fault they weren't fit enough this season then?

Come off it man. A professional footballer on £30k a week should be in shape all year round.

There's not being as fit as they were last season then there's Morelos, who was left out of the biggest game of our season because he was overweight.

Someone else mentioned Hagi. He's been out injured for over a year and didn't come back in a state like Morelos.

I suspect Hagi isn't out at nightclubs getting on it constantly though.

IMO fitness levels weren’t as good under Gio as they were under Gerrard.

However, no other first team player returned from summer holidays to pre season with a belly and overweight.

That’s fully on Morelos.

How do you know? Did you see them all?

Anyway what's the point. The nuance of my point is clearly lost

When Morelos does eventually leave he’ll always be remembered upon fondly as a great Rangers striker.

It doesn’t absolve him of any criticism and he certainly isn’t without faults which is what some folk seem to get upset with when you call it out.

You're right it's an extreme example and not comparable at all. Kane is a world class striker so of course he would go for big money still.

If Morelos signed a new deal and had a good season, say scoring 20-25 goals, how much do you realistically think he'd go for?
More than what we would pay out in terms of wages and signing on fee.
In financial terms only it’s a no brainer in comparison with taking a risk with a younger less experienced model.
Whether that would yield more or less profit than a younger striker can go both ways depending on whether it’s a successful signing or an Itten.

Replacing him would cost millions - if you based this on the 2019 version then I fully agree.

If you based it on his most recent version this season, I’m not convinced it would cost millions. Tynecastle aside, his performances this season have been by and large awful as is his physical condition.

He’s shown over 5 years he can’t be relied upon to give us a full season and it’s for that reason it should be a thanks for your service but it’s time to part company in the summer.
If you look at his stats , goals and assists it’s his second best season well kinda -

A goal every 162 mins

Brat.

This time last year Morelos was leading us to some of our greatest results in Europe.
100%% but the op asked should we keep him if he's mediocre. Wouldn't like to think we would keep anyone who was mediocre. Re Morelos, we know it would be self inflicted as we all know what he can do

Back