Moroccan government not happy with Adidas Algeria kit

Texas ranger

“It’s cultural appropriation, an attempted robbery of a form of traditional Moroccan cultural heritage,” the ministry said in the statement.

In a letter sent to Adidas CEO Kasper Rorsted, Morocco demanded the withdrawal within two weeks of the jersey or that the company release a statement “to identify the zellige art of Morocco as an inspiration”.

It also threatened to bring the case “before organisations relating to the protection of heritage and copyrights”, including the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).”

Adidas may withdraw the shirt, but you can guarantee that shirt collectors, if they have read the article, will be buying at least two.
One for themselves, and one to put on ebay.

Cultural appropriation is one lot of shite! But how can a country appropriate it’s own culture? The Morocco strip has on it something that is of cultural significance to Morocco yet they are moaning about it?

Maybe they should just bs proud that another country likes it so much they chose to integrate it into their kit?

Genuinely, what am I missing with ‘cutural appropriation’ that isn’t just people trying to be offended?

Maybe they should just bs proud that another country likes it so much they chose to integrate it into their kit?

Genuinely, what am I missing with ‘cutural appropriation’ that isn’t just people trying to be offended?
I think it tends to be the last avenue of being offended where you just get offended, it a bit like claiming a non scot wearing a kilt is racist, because they aren't scottish.

The hilarity if the Irish FA played this card against that Scottish club that play in Green and Grey but play fake Irish.

“It’s cultural appropriation, an attempted robbery of a form of traditional Moroccan cultural heritage,” the ministry said in the statement.

In a letter sent to Adidas CEO Kasper Rorsted, Morocco demanded the withdrawal within two weeks of the jersey or that the company release a statement “to identify the zellige art of Morocco as an inspiration”.

It also threatened to bring the case “before organisations relating to the protection of heritage and copyrights”, including the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).”

Looks like my nanas kitchen wall tiles from the red road flats in 1970.

What is it that Morocco are saying is “ theirs” ? The actual pattern?

Only North Africans and Beggars could become embroiled in this type of argument.

O8h8r9n.gif

Castore could have launched it as part of their start a war with cultural appropriation range

What a world.

It's fine to populate other countries taking culture with you and enriching (or damaging - depending on your perspective and topic at hand) other peoples, but don't dare claim that the parts integrated, that have invaded and altered it forever, now belong in any way shape or form to those accepting it.

I'm assuming that if this Moroccon originated design is of enough cultural significance to appear on Algerian football shirts then it's a sign of the historical shared cultural exchange between it's peoples, that supersedes where a line is drawn on a map, or indeed the small minded prejudice of it's current leaders.

In saying that, it would be strange to see any other country have a tartan football strip. And certainly I wouldn't rule out our encumbents reacting similarly parochially and pathetically. "That's oor tartan so it is, so don't get smert. I'll huv you" Skelp!!!! John Swinney, "Nicola, there's weans aboot" Grope!!!!!

Looks like my nanas kitchen wall tiles from the red road flats in 1970.

What is it that Morocco are saying is “ theirs” ? The actual pattern?
Reads that way.

This is from Wiki so take it with some caution.

“This form of Islamic art is one of the main characteristics of architecture in the western Islamic world. It is found in the traditional architecture of Morocco, the architecture of Algeria, early Islamic sites in Tunisia, and in the historic monuments of al-Andalus (in the Iberian Peninsula).”

So it’s a regional thing it seems, and one of the countries from the regions has used it and another has taken the huff is how it reads to me. Maybe there’s more to it.

Bougherra and Kerkar versus...Marouane Chamakh?? I back Algeria here.

As said above, adidas aren't generally concerned about morals, unfortunately.

As someone said above, Adidas make kits for a known paedophile ring.

Doubt they care about someone piping up about some table cloth pattern.

I'm sorry but cultural appropriation is a complete load of shite. Cultures should be happy that others see beauty in aspects of their heritage.
If there was no such thing the same eejits would say it was Racist. A lot of the people who greet about it aren't even part of the culture that they are moaning about.
As for Adidas, well we all know what they support. Serious dislike for that brand now. Never want us near them. They have shown what they are in their many replies to concerned punters, myself included.

Back