Moroccan market

We'll look at England and Belgium as those are the only places Ross knows how to find on a map.

I know people really like to harp on about the fact that Ross Wilson likes the Belgian market, but there's loads of Moroccan players over there. There's loads of players of North African descent playing in Belgium, Holland and France in fact. It's such a stupid criticism to level at him.

Marouane Fellaini is probably the most famous example, he's of Moroccan descent, came through the Belgian youth system. There's been plenty of examples of it both in the past and in the present. Selim Amallah, Raskin's ex team mate came through in Belgium and plays for Morocco. Anass Zaroury who is now at Burnley. Omar El Kaddouri at PAOK too. The Mmaee brothers at Ferencváros, all came through in Belgium.

I know people really like to harp on about the fact that Ross Wilson likes the Belgian market, but there's loads of Moroccan players over there. There's loads of players of North African descent playing in Belgium, Holland and France in fact. It's such a stupid criticism to level at him.

Marouane Fellaini is probably the most famous example, he's of Moroccan descent, came through the Belgian youth system. There's been plenty of examples of it both in the past and in the present. Selim Amallah, Raskin's ex team mate came through in Belgium and plays for Morocco. Anass Zaroury who is now at Burnley. Omar El Kaddouri at PAOK too. The Mmaee brothers at Ferencváros, all came through in Belgium.
Ross Wilson should look at all markets!
No need to apparently. Belgium is a proxy for scouting the World.

No need to apparently. Belgium is a proxy for scouting the World.

These daily posts knocking Wilson are tedious.
We built a squad on a relative shoestring budget that took us to a EL final 10 months ago, with players contributing from multiple channels.
If peoplelike yourself know the international player markets so much better than RW, send your CV into the club, I'm sure they'd love to hear your ideas, or do they just end at criticizing Wilson and anyone else employed at the club?

As soon as the average fan notices that its a market we should be looking at, its too late.

We need to be ahead of the curve given our budget. Especially after how they performed at the WC, clubs with bigger budgets will be all over that.

Same happened few year ago with Senegal

This is such an old school way of thinking. Most people under 30 these days are 3 or 4 nationalities. They get to choose who they want to play for. International football is now a limited version of club football.

Looking at the Moroccan team the OP is talking about - 2 of the 11 were born in Morocco and 0 of them were raised there. So you can scout the Moroccan market all you want, you won’t find them. You’d actually find more of these ‘Moroccan’ players searching Belgium - but I guess that doesn’t fit the anti-Wilson agenda.

Are we not still up against it in terms of signing players from certain markets in terms of restrictions or is that a thing of the past?

Usually been the case that there's multiple established avenues to Europe available to Africans and South Americans that we can't compete with.

Appreciate where you are coming from but buying players based on World Cup performances rarely works out for anyone when you think about it. You over pay and get less than you expected.

A Moroccan market yesterday

Marrakesh-Souk-1.jpg

checked the first four names on the lineup, gk plays for seville and the next three play for dortmund, west ham and besiktas. couldnt be bothered checking the rest of the team

edit, just for giggles i checked the next player, he plays for bayern munich
MB did mention that he wanted 5 new players in.

This. Most of the Moroccan players at the World Cup were born outside of the country.

I noticed that Morocco beat Brazil the other day.
After their success at the last World Cup I noted that the majority of their team played in Morocco.
Surely this is a market we should be looking at.

Only 3 players in their World Cup squad were playing in Morocco at the time.

Only 3 players in their recent squad play in Morocco (2 of whom are GKs who don't start for them).

After their success at the last World Cup I noted that the majority of their team played in Morocco.
The only time any of this squad play in Morocco is for national team.

A high % of the Moroccan national side were not born in Morocco, and instead were born in France, Belgium or Netherlands.

That's odd. I've just checked their current squad and only 3/30 are based in Morocco - the 3rd and 4th choice goalkeepers and a 28 year-old defender.

checked the first four names on the lineup, gk plays for seville and the next three play for dortmund, west ham and besiktas. couldnt be bothered checking the rest of the team

edit, just for giggles i checked the next player, he plays for bayern munich
Starting XI:

Sevilla
PSG
West Ham
Besiktas
Bayern Munich
Marseille
Fiorentina
Genk
Chelsea
Sevilla
Al-Rayyan

Subs:

Sampdoria
Watford
Osasuna
Bari
Wydad Casablanca

If Ross Wilson can't be bothered scouting Morocco for these gems, we should get rid and bring in someone who will!

I watched the game the other night. They have a unique blend of great technical ability, power, fitness and strength.

These daily posts knocking Wilson are tedious.
We built a squad on a relative shoestring budget that took us to a EL final 10 months ago, with players contributing from multiple channels.
If peoplelike yourself know the international player markets so much better than RW, send your CV into the club, I'm sure they'd love to hear your ideas, or do they just end at criticizing Wilson and anyone else employed at the club?
As tedious as losing titles?

the north african national teams are full of players who are playing at a decent level, who were born and grew up in france, but are not good enough to get a game for france.

Last edited:
The three North African countries in Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia all produce gifted players, it's definitely a market we should be looking at.
Add Turkey to that list too...Just back from Side and took the chance to go to see the Turkey v Germany Under 17s Euro match in Side...Turkey were beaten 2 - 1 but have some very good players in their side. As did Germany but imagine most of them are already signed up for the Bundesliga.

Aren't markets in Arab countries known as Shambles'? I thought it was a new autocorrect from Admin haha

To every poster suggesting scout all markets, or even most of them… it’s utterly impossible. Even if you’re Real Madrid. U can’t even do it on computer games ffs.

Clubs simply don’t have the resources to have people everywhere all the time.

While I agree we should be looking elsewhere but most of the squad were not born or haven’t even played in Morocco.

Most are Dutch, French or Belgian and have family from there.

Back