Most famous celebrity you have met at a football game?

Sean Connery,at Ibrox (Murray days).
Big doddie weir, Ibrox hospitality.
Sandy jardine, Ibrox hospitality.
Big John Grieg,Ibrox.
Walter Smith, Chinese in Helensburgh.

Met Trevor Stevens outside the Gar De Nord train station Paris in 98 , he was getting on the same train as us heading down to Bordeux for the Scotland v Norway game

Not the most famous person I've ever sat with/near at a game but a memorable one in some ways. I sat in the club deck with Ricky Ross, Graeme Kelling (RIP) and Dougie Vipond. Graeme I'd known for years, Vipond I kind of knew too he was a mate of another musician that I grew up with David Rousen whom like Big Graeme is also sadly dead now. Scotland v Italy at Ibrox 1992. It was 0-0 but memorable in that it was a game Alan McLaren had Baggio in his pocket for 90 minutes McLaren was outstanding.

I had taken my seat waiting for the game to start and then they all appeared and sat down. I said hows it going Ricky and he gave me a proper curt grunt. I leaned forward to catch big Graemes eye and said is he always like this Graeme? He gave me a nod with a wry smile. I don't know if he thought I was a fan or something, I wasn't I'm just a punter who happens to be sat next to them, but even at that he wasn't a particularly pleasant fella.

Anyway, of course I'd had one or two sherbits before the game and needless to say once the game got started and McLaren yet again stepped in to nick the ball away from Baggio. I started ripping the pish. At one stage I remember saying to him did you see that move Ricky it was a bit like how you stole Brian McGlynns whole act off him. He switched seats with Graeme at half time.

Saw Jeff Winter in the Tesco at McDiarmid Park taking photos of his mate over the top of the cubicle as the guy spewed in the bog.

That ridiculous that it clearly isn't made up!

Fraser Aird outside Easter Road and in the Louden, Stewart Robertson outside Hamilton's ground and Brittany Polster at Tynecastle. Love rubbing shoulders with the stars me.

Steven Pressley, whilst still at the mentally challengeds, turned up to a game I was playing in when I was 12/13. I think he was neighbours with one of the boys of the other team. Our goalie that day suffered a horrendous knee injury and ended up in an ambulance, and in fairness to Pressley he went to speak to the lad in the ambulance before it went to hospital.

Jim and Billy Reid? Bluenoses? I always thought that their footballing allegiance flew under the media radar.
As far as I know they both are. Murray is a mate of mine and is def a bluenose, Douglas not so much he's not into football but Gillspie who replaced Murray is an absolute dick and to make matters worse hes one eh them.

Are the Reid brothers bears?
Not sure, but I know they were at Hunter around the same time as McCoist.
Graeme Clark of Wet Wet Wet used to sit in my row in the Govan Rear. He'd always attend with his manager Dougie Souness, who always wore a half and half Rangers and England top (The Umbro chequered one). Also see Traceyanne Campbell of Camera Obscura regularly and my son got a photo with Ant Middleton outside the main stand before a game against the scum (2-0, Arfield salute game).
Is she a bear?

Not sure, but I know they were at Hunter around the same time as McCoist.

Is she a bear?
Yep, her and I believe Kenny the guitarist is a Rangers fan. Gav is obviously a jag and I think the drummer is from the dark side.

I was sat 4 seats along from Sir Alex Ferguson at The Emirates when Arsenal played the mentally challengeds in a champions league qualifier. I'd like to think he found my abuse of Mcgeady in the second half amusing, after the 5 free Gin & Tonics I had at half time started to kick in

Clarky, Graeme Clark, bass player and Neil Mitchell, keyboards, both good guys and good Rangers men, and probably with Dougie Souness who is,was their tour manager.
I spent a cup game Clydebank V Rangers with the three of them many years ago (1996) it was played at Firhill and there was a shortage of tickets and my usual contacts at Ibrox couldn't get me any as it was an away game and the stadium was also getting some construction work done the Wets sponsored Clydebank at the time it was a great day, thanks to the guys.

He has a signed shirt in his home studio (which you can see if you watch his online streams)

Remember meeting Jim Diamond, well, not really meeting him, but he was playing pool on the table next to me, and my mates and I were secretly taking the piss out of him because we thought it was just a guy that looked like him. Turned out it was him. Beat that for the shitiest post in this thread.

Yep, her and I believe Kenny the guitarist is a Rangers fan. Gav is obviously a jag and I think the drummer is from the dark side.
They are one of my favourites so I’m pleased to hear that.

Actually love Kenny’s playing, simple stuff but its infectious. Quite often listen to their music and find myself isolating and concentrating on his lines.

Dougie Donnelly and Andy Cameron at Madrid v Leverkusen final at Hampden.

My mate had a camera with him and asked Andy Cameron to take a photo of me and my mate with Dougie Donnelly. We laughed!

Jimmy Hill outside Wembley in the 90s. My mate Edward, grabbed him by the Beard on his Chin and said, "Hi Jimmy, Gies A Tug LOL.

Last edited:
John Peel

circa 1984 at a motherwell v meadowbank thistle game

Got his signature on the programme and eddie Cochrane “c’mon everybody” played on his show on the Monday night

I remember when we played Barcelona in 2007 in the Nou Camp and we were all in the top tier there were a few ex players there. If I remember correctly they included Derek McInnes , Alex Rae, and even Darren Jackson???. Nobody paid them any attention as John Smeaton was there and getting mobbed as it was probably at his peak celebrity status following the airport terror attack earlier that year.

Ian Botham in hospitality circa 1994. Think he was up for one of Super's testimonial events. An absolute gentleman and oozed charisma. And that's all I have to say about that!

Guillem Balague and Gabriele Marcotti in the first bar we found outside the Allianz after Chelsea won the Champions League in 2012.

Balague was sound, Marcotti was a prick.

Kirsty Wark was in the Clachan Bar before/after a Kilmarnock game that's about my whack of seeing anybody remotely famous at or going to the football, boring I know
I was with you,she was a stunner back then,it may have been Dundee we played.

I met Robert Carlyle at the 2002 Scottish Cup Final in hospitality.

I was at the Sevilla away game and Tom Cruise was at the game never met him though obviously.

Edit: Myself and the old man met Mick Jones at a QPR game as well. My Dad's got the biggest beamer in the photo as he loved The Clash. :))

Ian Botham in hospitality circa 1994. Think he was up for one of Super's testimonial events. An absolute gentleman and oozed charisma. And that's all I have to say about that!
I remember reading years ago, way back when he was still playing, that he was asked in a magazine interview what football team he supported and he said Chelsea and Rangers. Also - and I'm giving it away now - he is the answer to one of the two best football quiz questions ever.

Last edited:
Mentioned recently that I sat in the next seat but one to Robert Duval, it was only at ht when I saw his face on the big screens that I realised he must be a VIP, I had no idea who he was, just an American talking incessantly throughout the game.
It was in the lead up to them filming 'A Shot at Glory', he was trying to understand the intracsies of Scottish Football, hence all the questions.

Staunch!! B-D

Seen him on Hope Street before game. Came out Alpen Lodge and mate goes there's that guy from The Godfather. :))

More a "lame to fame" than a claim, but met and chatted to Cat Harvey at a Partick v Dunfermline game a good few years back. In fairness to her she was actually a really good laugh.

Once saw Steven Pressly sitting all by him self at the back of the CD when he couldn't even get on the bench for a game Vs Hearts.

Robert Plant’s season ticket was in the next row to my mother and father in law’s at Molineux.

Brian Laudrup in Glasgow city centre
Peter Reid at UEFA final, Sound guy.
Gianluigi Buffon in Las Vegas
And Larsson at Glasgow airport. He got a roasting from us, but took it well to be fair.

Don’t really want to admit this, but when I was 11 my Dad took my older brother and I to the Scotland v Argentina game at Hampden. Scotland won 1-0 (Stewart McKimmie)

Sat right behind me was Rod Fucking Stewart. My Dad wasn’t best pleased when he realised that he was right behind us and he totally blanked him. I remember he put his hands on my shoulders during the celebration of the goal. At the time I never thought anything of it but looking back now I feel degraded. I should have swapped seats with my brother.

He was probably supporting us at the time

Jonathan Watson used to sit near me when i was in the Main Stand
that seat was right at the back of the directors box so got a few autographs inc Kuznetsov & Mikhailitchenko just after the latter had signed

Last edited:
Years ago in Toys r us near Ibrox. I had broken toes and wearing felt boot on. Some dick ran over my foot with a trolley, yelped in pain and said "hi cunto ahve got a broken toe."
He turned roon and sort of sniggered and said sorry.
It was Derek Mcinnes.
Stilled called him an arsehole.
Wasn't with us at the time.

Hate to say this...... Tin Hat On!,,,,,
Jim White at Rangers Bohemians UEFA cup 1984!

Head already hung in shame!!!
At the away leg, the two Ulster bears right at the very front of the Gers support who were given a totally unprovoked hiding by the Gardai that started all the trouble before that game?

Well one of them was me.
The other was the now sadly passed Eric Glynn, whose nickname was Old FĂąck-a-fĂşck because he stuttered but only while swearing. And it was totally unprovoked. Mayhem afterwards though. Especially up the Drumcondra Road (?) after the match.
The story of that bus trip of the John Greig RSC Bangor would make for a great tv show or film in particular the trip back home. Like Lord of the fĂącking Rings with the amount of orcs and violence. Utterly surreal. So many bizarre happenings, including the whole bus spending an hour assuming the position up against the wall of Banbridge RUC station at 2am or some ungodly hour like that.
One of my great memories though.
I had a swollen lip so big that it could have had Sting banging on my door wanting to take me to the United Nations. But I went from girl repelling loser to temporary fanny magnet overnight. Weird.
That lasted as long as the swelling did.

Never met anyone famous at a game well apart from hospitality when they wheel out the old boys.

Did meet Alfie in Rioja in Finnieston and Borna in what was Pianola in Crow Road. Met super Ally standing on a train from Manchester once, couldn't talk to him for long, had to get back to my seat in first class :D

Rod Stewart while waiting to get into Hampden for a midweek Scotland game, RS swanned past heading straight to the front, a guy shouted "Haw Rod", he turned round expecting praise saying "yea" , the guy then said "You can sing f uck all", sheepish Rod carried on his way, hilarity in the queue.

I won 2 tickets for the Main Stand in the Rangers News in September 1972 against Falkirk, my first time ever at Ibrox, and just a couple of rows behind us was Lulu (she was appearing at the Edmiston Club at the time).
Lulu was always one of our own. Her autobiography tells the story of how, as a wee girl growing up in a tenement in Dennistoun, she would hang out the window waiting for her father to come home from Ibrox (usually via the Pub), says the first song she ever learned to sing was The Sash and she would serenade him with it all the way up the road.

Had to take cover with James Nesbitt when a hailstorm stopped play in the Northern Ireland v Ukraine game at Euro 2016

Remember meeting Jim Diamond, well, not really meeting him, but he was playing pool on the table next to me, and my mates and I were secretly taking the piss out of him because we thought it was just a guy that looked like him. Turned out it was him. Beat that for the shitiest post in this thread.

So you neither met him, nor even saw him at a football match! Not sure you understood the thread :)

Back