Most overrated & underrated player - in the world?

The Pink Panther

Seen the other thread based on our current squad but what about world football?

I reckon Verratti is one of the most underrated. Arthur at Barca as well although he's only recently came on to the scene but in a couple of years time he'll be one of the best midfielders in the world.

Most overrated is probably Kane IMO. Bit controversial maybe but I just don't see him as a world class striker.
First thought when I seen this thread title was Harry Kane. The stats don’t lie and Spurs are better without him. Their slump this season coincided with his return and even if you look at this week, they upped their game when he went off in the CL V Man City and were outstanding V Huddersfield (who I know are shite but still a great performance from the team.
Problem we have is the focus on him for being English and the media hyping him up as much.

Underrated - this is often the player in the similar position to an England starter in the same team. Never get a mention. Like Johnny Evans is a cracking player but it’s all about Harry McGuire. Jordan Henderson is Liverpool’s worst midfielder. The English players get far more of the credit. Ricardo Carvalho was a terrific defender and moved on to be a success at Real Madrid but hardly mentioned as John Terry got the plaudits.

Manno

Overrated - Van Dijk. He’s good, can’t deny that. He’s not the best defender in the world, he’s achieved nothing yet to warrant that title.

Underrated - Christian Eriksen. When you see the money Coutinho went for and the figures quoted for others, he’s got to be worth over £150m in the current market. He’s Spurs’ best player by a mile.

dt17

A mate of mine.....
I think many are saying Neymar because of their dislike of him. Boy is a dramatic diving cnut, but there is no doubt he's a word class player.
Exactly. Can't believe anyone is saying Neymar's underrated when he's probably in the top 5 players in the world.

I’m tempted to say Messi for the overrated bracket, but I don’t want to start a rammy. I’m not saying he isn’t a classy player, perhaps even the best of his generation, but the way he is treated like the second coming does my nut in sometimes. Pele, Cruyff, and Maradonna were much better as their International record shows. Again, while Lionel is a cracking player he does get overrated when it comes to the GOAT
I'm sorry but this is just mental. You're judging an international career but completely excluding club careers. What did Cruyff achieve in his international career?

Messi blew Maradona away a long time ago. Pele counts goals scored against under 15 reserves.

Overrated - Van Dijk. He’s good, can’t deny that. He’s not the best defender in the world, he’s achieved nothing yet to warrant that title.

Underrated - Christian Eriksen. When you see the money Coutinho went for and the figures quoted for others, he’s got to be worth over £150m in the current market. He’s Spurs’ best player by a mile.
Agree re: Van Dijk. Can't believe they were actually discussing if he's the best Dutch player ever, if he's one of the best ever in the Premiership, if he was better than Rio Ferdinand etc. Utter nonsense.

Geez it

Do you watch many PSG games?
Don’t watch french football, will watch psg in the champs league if they have decent opposition. Also watched him tear shit up at the world cup at just 18 years old. Wouldn’t say mbappe is overrated. He is living up to the hype. The problem we have in my generation is people will compare every player to messi and ronaldo who are exceptions.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Facts are he was top scorer in World Cup,facts are also he scores goals against Man U,Liverpool,Dortmund,Real Madrid etc and has 165 goals in 250 games in Orem league and your saying he’s over rated?are you honestly saying that?come on are you being serious?
Facts are the 5 goals came against sides that are barely even professional level teams. If you want to obsess over facts.

Yes, he’s overrated, that doesn’t mean he’s shite it means he’s not as good as many claim. Man United, Liverpool and Dortmund. Sides with leaky defences who haven’t been able to keep weans out a close out some times in recent seasons. Steven Naismith scored against Man Utd and bagged a hat trick against Chelsea by the way. Premiership and Spurs flop Roberto Soledado bagged goals against Real Madrid.

I think your assertion that if you bagged a few goals against some of the big name teams that you can’t be overrated is flawed and missed the point. Think about it for a couple of minutes.

Amato Turn

Don’t watch french football, will watch psg in the champs league if they have decent opposition. Also watched him tear shit up at the world cup at just 18 years old. Wouldn’t say mbappe is overrated. He is living up to the hype. The problem we have in my generation is people will compare every player to messi and ronaldo who are exceptions.
So you're admitting you don't watch him on a week in week out basis.

Mbappe plays better for France than he does for PSG and he played better than normal during the World Cup.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, he clearly is, especially for his age.

BackJardine

Overrated - Neymar. Put him into a 2nd tier team and I don't think he wins many games by himself.

Underrated - Marco Verratti from PSG, surprised he hasn't moved to an EPL top 6, Bayern, Barca, Real or Juve (maybe he's not underrated?)
Neymar done it plenty, often didn't get credited for it
I’m tempted to say Messi for the overrated bracket, but I don’t want to start a rammy. I’m not saying he isn’t a classy player, perhaps even the best of his generation, but the way he is treated like the second coming does my nut in sometimes. Pele, Cruyff, and Maradonna were much better as their International record shows. Again, while Lionel is a cracking player he does get overrated when it comes to the GOAT

However I’d say Cavani or Rodriguez would fight it out for the most overrated currently with Aubameyang just behind them.

As for underrated, I’d agree with Verratti but he picks up far too many stupid bookings. Firmino must be up there and deserves certainly as much credit as Salah for Liverpool’s form in recent years. Ratitic also barely gets a mention for such a great player as does Verane over in Madrid
Yeah, I know. Hes only scored 40+ every season for a decade, and chipping in with a healthy amount of assists to boot. You view him on stats or on the park ability. Man is unreal and probably the best player theres ever been.

Rfc loyal

Facts are the 5 goals came against sides that are barely even professional level teams. If you want to obsess over facts.

Yes, he’s overrated, that doesn’t mean he’s shite it means he’s not as good as many claim. Man United, Liverpool and Dortmund. Sides with leaky defences who haven’t been able to keep weans out a close out some times in recent seasons. Steven Naismith scored against Man Utd and bagged a hat trick against Chelsea by the way. Premiership and Spurs flop Roberto Soledado bagged goals against Real Madrid.

I think your assertion that if you bagged a few goals against some of the big name teams that you can’t be overrated is flawed and missed the point. Think about it for a couple of minutes.
My point was he scored goals against every top team not just a few they were just a few teams i mentioned,the guy is a goal machine simple as and would score goals in any team.
What do people actually claim about him?
I’m saying facts because quite frankly the stats are their to back my claim up he scores goals in every competition be it champions league,prem league,World Cup etc

Monts1310

So the guy who was joint top scorer in the World Cup and guy who is no doubt going to end up top scorer in the whole history of premier league ahead of Shearer,Henry,Cole,drogba etc is overrated?are you really saying that?
Are you suggesting that you are not aware of his dislike for Harry Kane. He used to know Kane’s penalty stats and goals v the ‘top 6’.

He has a strong dislike for Kane and England. And Madrid. And Ronaldo. And Jose.

AdiGaz

Any English player is over rated to f#ck. Linguard being the most over rated player ive ever heard of. Bang average who cares more about fashion, instagram and making up cringey celebrations than football, Pogba being a close 2nd. Most under rated is a hard one but id have to go with Roberto Firmino.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
My point was he scored goals against every top team not just a few they were just a few teams i mentioned,the guy is a goal machine simple as and would score goals in any team.
What do people actually claim about him?
I’m saying facts because quite frankly the stats are their to back my claim up he scores goals in every competition be it champions league,prem league,World Cup etc
That he’s the best striker in his league, pushing for the best centre forward in the world.

You can’t use scoring against semi professional sides as some sort of barometer though, I’m sorry. Jamie Vardy has scored goals against Man Utd, Liverpool, City, for England and in the CL too, all for lesser sides than Kane’s Spurs team. Does this also put Vardy right up there in the top bracket?

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Are you suggesting that you are not aware of his dislike for Harry Kane. He used to know Kane’s penalty stats and goals v the ‘top 6’.

He has a strong dislike for Kane and England. And Madrid. And Ronaldo. And Jose.
Yeah I do know a bit about football, guilty. It’s useful for discussing it though, means I can go form my opinions and back them up with some evidence. It trumps “aye but he’s pure brulliant he goat 5 goals at ra World Cup”.

Geez it

So you're admitting you don't watch him on a week in week out basis.

Mbappe plays better for France than he does for PSG and he played better than normal during the World Cup.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, he clearly is, especially for his age.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha “he played better than normal during the world cup” the boys 20 and has the world at his feet. To say he is overrated is daft. He’s what the second highest scorer in the world atm? Behind messi?

bilkobear

Overrated - Neymar. Put him into a 2nd tier team and I don't think he wins many games by himself.

Underrated - Marco Verratti from PSG, surprised he hasn't moved to an EPL top 6, Bayern, Barca, Real or Juve (maybe he's not underrated?)
That is an interesting observation.
There are players who can make a huge difference to almost any team they play in no matter the quality of the other players.
I don't think Neymar is one of them.
I think Ronaldo would because he is a goalscoring machine and if you pump the ball into the box he will get on the end of it.
Might be interesting to wonder what Messi would be like in a less talented eleven?
Maradona at his best, for instance, would have won the Scottish League no matter which team he played for, he would simply have dragged the rest of the team with him.
I think. :)

dt17

A mate of mine.....
That is an interesting observation.
There are players who can make a huge difference to almost any team they play in no matter the quality of the other players.
I don't think Neymar is one of them.
I think Ronaldo would because he is a goalscoring machine and if you pump the ball into the box he will get on the end of it.
Might be interesting to wonder what Messi would be like in a less talented eleven?
Maradona at his best, for instance, would have won the Scottish League no matter which team he played for, he would simply have dragged the rest of the team with him.
I think. :)
Would you not accept that Messi has played in a less talented 11 than Ronaldo at times? People always say the only reason Messi was so good was due to Xavi & Iniesta. The when they went it was only because of Suarez and Neymar. What next?

Neymar pretty much grabbed the Barca-PSG game by the scruff of the neck and won it for them in one of the best comebacks ever.

I think most people dislike Neymar because he's a diving wee prick.

Monts1310

Yeah I do know a bit about football, guilty. It’s useful for discussing it though, means I can go form my opinions and back them up with some evidence. It trumps “aye but he’s pure brulliant he goat 5 goals at ra World Cup”.
I don't recall ever posting re. Kane and the WC.

bilkobear

Would you not accept that Messi has played in a less talented 11 than Ronaldo at times? People always say the only reason Messi was so good was due to Xavi & Iniesta. The when they went it was only because of Suarez and Neymar. What next?

Neymar pretty much grabbed the Barca-PSG game by the scruff of the neck and won it for them in one of the best comebacks ever.

I think most people dislike Neymar because he's a diving wee prick.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't press the point about Messi I was really just throwing it open to debate.
I am a Messi admirer.
However, I cannot help but note that Maradona took an Argentine team much the same as the present Argentine team to a World Cup win.
Messi hasn't been the catalyst for the same, although I am of the opinion that the quality of opposition in the last two world cups, certainly, hasn't been all that.

But this is the type of debate where it is very much opinion based.

Ross_

Official Ticketer
Overrated - Kylian Mbappe
Underrated - Son at Spurs.
Mbappe ?!? Seriously ?!? Hahaha unbelievable.

He is 20 years old and will arguably be best player in the world in the next 5 years.

He has everything.

As for the original question

Over rated - Sergi Roberto for Barcelona - he must have something but anytime I see him play he’s not at the same level as a player that players at Barcelona

Underrated - Back in the day was Paul scholes he was sensational and no surprise other pro’s rave about him - notable mention for Busquets at Barcelona as wel he often goes unnoticed but he is sensational.

Rfc loyal

That he’s the best striker in his league, pushing for the best centre forward in the world.

You can’t use scoring against semi professional sides as some sort of barometer though, I’m sorry. Jamie Vardy has scored goals against Man Utd, Liverpool, City, for England and in the CL too, all for lesser sides than Kane’s Spurs team. Does this also put Vardy right up there in the top bracket?
When did vardy score loads goals in champs league?you keep
Just bringing up points that suit your stupid argument.
So as a pure goal scorer who is better in the world?aguero,greizman maybe?
Messi and Ronaldo on a whole new level btw

dt17

A mate of mine.....

He is 20 years old and will arguably be best player in the world in the next 5 years.

He has everything.

As for the original question

Over rated - Sergi Roberto for Barcelona - he must have something but anytime I see him play he’s not at the same level as a player that players at Barcelona

Underrated - Back in the day was Paul scholes he was sensational and no surprise other pro’s rave about him - notable mention for Busquets at Barcelona as wel he often goes unnoticed but he is sensational.
To be fair I don't really know many people who 'rate' Sergi Roberto...he just seems to be a fairly reliable squad player although I think Semedo is the better right back.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
When did vardy score loads goals in champs league?you keep
Just bringing up points that suit your stupid argument.
So as a pure goal scorer who is better in the world?aguero,greizman maybe?
Messi and Ronaldo on a whole new level btw
Aguero, Lewandowksi, Suarez, Cavani, Salah, Griezmann, Mbappe is headed that way, Neymar on his day, and there are other strikers who are in better form around Europe at present.

Vardy’s team don’t have the luxury of playing in the CL every year, when they did, he got on the scoresheet.

Funnily enough it’s you whose being entirely selective with what you acknowledge or don’t acknowledge here. “Aye 5 goals in ra World Cup, but let’s lot look at what teams they came against and in how many games, just forget about that it doesn’t suit the agenda”. Could write what you know about fitbaw on the back of a postage stamp mate.

You’ve obviously missed the fundamental point of the thread from the get go so best to bow out, though I’m sure you’re still scratching your head at how it’s possible for Kane to score against Man Utd and still be considered to be overrated.

Amato Turn

He has everything.
This is exactly why I think he's overrated.

You just know too it's being said by folk who watched him for 4 weeks last summer in the World Cup and one or two Champions League games a year.

MilwaulkeeExpat

Overrated - Neymar

Underrated - Laporte considering the hype surrounding Van Dijk.
Glad someone else pointed out Laporte. Absolute monster of a player, consistent, but doesn't get the attention he deserves because he plays for City who are expected to defend well while Liverpool had a hopeless CB pairing til van dijk came in.

Graemeh89

Official Ticketer
This is exactly why I think he's overrated.

You just know too it's being said by folk who watched him for 4 weeks last summer in the World Cup and one or two Champions League games a year.
Overrated ? He won the World Cup and Got in the team of the tournament being second top goal scorer at the tournament, he’s scored 27 goals in 25 games for Psg this season and the guys 20 years old :D

bluetonic

Overated Higuain of Argentina, and underrated Firminho of Brazil, much closer to home in the EPL, overated Sterling of Man City and underated Saha of Crystal Palace

Q11

Modric overrated :eek: what are people watching.
I always go with my gut reaction on questions like these and Modric came into my mind as underrated. I thought about Ramos as being overrated. Good but not in the same class as a Maldini, Baresi or a Pique

tottie beck

I'm sorry but this is just mental. You're judging an international career but completely excluding club careers. What did Cruyff achieve in his international career?

Messi blew Maradona away a long time ago. Pele counts goals scored against under 15 reserves.

As I said, possibly the best of his generation, but Ronaldo is in with a shout there. Pele, Cruyff and Maradonna completely dominated the 70, 74, & 78 World Cups respectively. Maybe it’s a generational thing