Most overrated & underrated player - in the world?

dt17

The Jay Cartwright of FF
Seen the other thread based on our current squad but what about world football?

I reckon Verratti is one of the most underrated. Arthur at Barca as well although he's only recently came on to the scene but in a couple of years time he'll be one of the best midfielders in the world.

Most overrated is probably Kane IMO. Bit controversial maybe but I just don't see him as a world class striker.

I think Daniele Di Rossi has been underrated for over a decade. He could have bossed the midfield of any side in any league in the world. The joys of being a one club legend and not playing in the EPL to get the acclaim he deserves, I feel Zlatan was similar until his year or so in England when past it proved just how good he was.
Overrated Koulibaly at Napoli, there must be centre halves out there that can do what he does at a fraction of the price

Kane is not overrated. He’s a standout in every match I watch him. Has so many aspects of his game.

But it’s very much in fashion to criticize him so not surprised he was mentioned in the OP.

For overrated I’d say Linegard. Underrated I’d say Firmino.

Kane is a good shout to be honest. Very very good striker but not the elite level they put him at. Also honking in so many England games. I think Rashford is very overrated too, as is Pogba.

Underrated would be Son

Overrated - ribery. Honestly never understood why he had such a big career.

Underrated - another vote for son

Napoli's all time, leading goalscorer defo not a nightmare. This is why I reckon he's underrated.
Nightmare is a bit harsh, obviously he has some talent. But I've never seen him cutting it at a club like Juventus or coming to a big club in England or top 3 in Spain.

Overrated for me is easily Hazard & Pogba
Underrated are Giroud & Isco

Muller is proper underrated

Müller is not underrated. He is shite (i know he was scored loads of goals a couple of years ago). Ask every Bayern Fan you know which player they hate the most. 99% will answer: Thomas Müller.

He is so shite he could play for Scotland.

What England games has he been honking?
Kane is most defiantly not over rated

The whole of Euro 2016, and any game at the World Cup that wasn’t against Panama or Tunisia; two borderline amateur sides in which he bagged 5 goals, two of em penalties, one an accidental deflection off his team mates shot). The minute he came up against half decent opposition he was poor.

There’s been others too. Should give em a watch.

I think Daniele Di Rossi has been underrated for over a decade. He could have bossed the midfield of any side in any league in the world. The joys of being a one club legend and not playing in the EPL to get the acclaim he deserves, I feel Zlatan was similar until his year or so in England when past it proved just how good he was.
Overrated Koulibaly at Napoli, there must be centre halves out there that can do what he does at a fraction of the price

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was underrated?

Where and when?

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was underrated?

Where and when?
England! And all of his career, O'Neill famously said he was the most overrated player in the world, but we know he's a clueless prick.
After he scalped 4 past England he knew the public and media didn't rate him so told them maybe now they'd listen that he was the best. They didn't because when he signed for Utd Michael Owen and Scholes both said he wasn't good enough. League cup and Europe League with a PFA shortlist for POTY again proved them wrong. Honestly you still have idiots in England who say Messi can't do it on a wet Tuesday away to Stoke as if that's some start of standard for greatness

I love threads like these. It reminds me again how many people that don’t know the first thing about football, do have a definite view on it!

I think the biggest mistake people make in these threads is equating “overrated” to being the same as “shite”. You can think a player is a brilliant and absolutely world class and still deem them to be overrated, but people tend to miss that and just throw tantrums when they see their favourite players crop up in the discussion as though you’ve decide they’re crap.

The whole of Euro 2016, and any game at the World Cup that wasn’t against Panama or Tunisia; two borderline amateur sides in which he bagged 5 goals, two of em penalties, one an accidental deflection off his team mates shot). The minute he came up against half decent opposition he was poor.

There’s been others too. Should give em a watch.
So the guy who was joint top scorer in the World Cup and guy who is no doubt going to end up top scorer in the whole history of premier league ahead of Shearer,Henry,Cole,drogba etc is overrated?are you really saying that?

Seen the other thread based on our current squad but what about world football?

I reckon Verratti is one of the most underrated. Arthur at Barca as well although he's only recently came on to the scene but in a couple of years time he'll be one of the best midfielders in the world.

Most overrated is probably Kane IMO. Bit controversial maybe but I just don't see him as a world class striker.
Paul Mcstay end thread lol.

Paul Pogba is the grand high King of all the overrated players currently in the game. Notable mentions also for Rabiot and Kyle Walker.

Underrated - Sadio Mané, Dries Mertens, Son.

Overrated - Neymar. Put him into a 2nd tier team and I don't think he wins many games by himself.

Underrated - Marco Verratti from PSG, surprised he hasn't moved to an EPL top 6, Bayern, Barca, Real or Juve (maybe he's not underrated?)

Cant believe people are saying Kane and Muller are shite... they would get a game for all top teams in the world

Ribery is the ultimate overrated player. I genuinely never seen him play a good game on the big stage.

Pogba also tends to have been poor when I’ve seen him.

Back