Most overrated & underrated player - in the world?

Müller is not underrated. He is shite (i know he was scored loads of goals a couple of years ago). Ask every Bayern Fan you know which player they hate the most. 99% will answer: Thomas Müller.

He is so shite he could play for Scotland.
Fishing right?

Hazard overrated :oops:

Best player in the prem and literally carries chelsea every game

I’ve genuinely never seen him win a game on his own the way Ronaldo would for Utd or Real, Messi does for Barca, Bale did for Spurs, Henry did for Arsenal, Gerrard did for Liverpool etc.
He also downs tools with the rest of his team mates on several managers

Also he’s not the best, that’s Aguero. But I’d even have Salah, KdB, Sterling or Kane before him

I’ve genuinely never seen him win a game on his own the way Ronaldo would for Utd or Real, Messi does for Barca, Bale did for Spurs, Henry did for Arsenal, Gerrard did for Liverpool etc.
He also downs tools with the rest of his team mates on several managers

Also he’s not the best, that’s Aguero. But I’d even have Salah, KdB, Sterling or Kane before him

Hmmmm

lets just say we having completely different opinions haha

So the guy who was joint top scorer in the World Cup and guy who is no doubt going to end up top scorer in the whole history of premier league ahead of Shearer,Henry,Cole,drogba etc is overrated?are you really saying that?

Are you really claiming some sort of bragging rights for the guy for bagging 5 goals (2 penalties and a fluke) against Panama and Tunisia?

Fanboy supreme here.

Hmmmm

lets just say we having completely different opinions haha
I just really dislike him as a player and from what I see his attitude as a professional as well. There’s plenty who disagree with me I know lol

Over - Neymar, Stones
Under - Son, Mane ( I know both are highly rated I just think they’re as good as anyone in that league)

Last edited:
Kane is not overrated. He’s a standout in every match I watch him. Has so many aspects of his game.

But it’s very much in fashion to criticize him so not surprised he was mentioned in the OP.

For overrated I’d say Linegard. Underrated I’d say Firmino.

To be fair to the op regarding Kane, I can see where he is coming from to an extent. I often watch Kane and for most of the game I think he looks like your typical carthorse English centre forward. However he will then come up with a great strike.

Are you really claiming some sort of bragging rights for the guy for bagging 5 goals (2 penalties and a fluke) against Panama and Tunisia?

Fanboy supreme here.
Facts are he was top scorer in World Cup,facts are also he scores goals against Man U,Liverpool,Dortmund,Real Madrid etc and has 165 goals in 250 games in Orem league and your saying he’s over rated?are you honestly saying that?come on are you being serious?

Müller is not underrated. He is shite (i know he was scored loads of goals a couple of years ago). Ask every Bayern Fan you know which player they hate the most. 99% will answer: Thomas Müller.

He is so shite he could play for Scotland.
He isn’t shite, your talking shite though

Quagliarella is the most underrated, it’s hard to say what he’d achieved if it wasn’t for that mental stalker scenario he had for years.

I think many are saying Neymar because of their dislike of him. Boy is a dramatic diving cnut, but there is no doubt he's a word class player.

Over Rated - Rashford, Alli,

Under Rated - Rabot, Son,
I don't know about recently, but Rashford has been terribly under-rated in the past; his first touch is exquisite and has the potential to be a top player. Another player I regard as having at one time been under-rated is Jordan Henderson, although that began to be revised; his ability to retain and use the ball is extremely good, and his work rate immense. Lingard is again a player at times not appreciated; again incredible first touch, which was evident when he played in last year's WC.

Can tell some people dont really watch or understand football by the shouts on this thread. Mbappe overrated?! EH?

I’m tempted to say Messi for the overrated bracket, but I don’t want to start a rammy. I’m not saying he isn’t a classy player, perhaps even the best of his generation, but the way he is treated like the second coming does my nut in sometimes. Pele, Cruyff, and Maradonna were much better as their International record shows. Again, while Lionel is a cracking player he does get overrated when it comes to the GOAT

However I’d say Cavani or Rodriguez would fight it out for the most overrated currently with Aubameyang just behind them.

As for underrated, I’d agree with Verratti but he picks up far too many stupid bookings. Firmino must be up there and deserves certainly as much credit as Salah for Liverpool’s form in recent years. Ratitic also barely gets a mention for such a great player as does Verane over in Madrid

Seen the other thread based on our current squad but what about world football?

I reckon Verratti is one of the most underrated. Arthur at Barca as well although he's only recently came on to the scene but in a couple of years time he'll be one of the best midfielders in the world.

Most overrated is probably Kane IMO. Bit controversial maybe but I just don't see him as a world class striker.
First thought when I seen this thread title was Harry Kane. The stats don’t lie and Spurs are better without him. Their slump this season coincided with his return and even if you look at this week, they upped their game when he went off in the CL V Man City and were outstanding V Huddersfield (who I know are shite but still a great performance from the team.
Problem we have is the focus on him for being English and the media hyping him up as much.

Underrated - this is often the player in the similar position to an England starter in the same team. Never get a mention. Like Johnny Evans is a cracking player but it’s all about Harry McGuire. Jordan Henderson is Liverpool’s worst midfielder. The English players get far more of the credit. Ricardo Carvalho was a terrific defender and moved on to be a success at Real Madrid but hardly mentioned as John Terry got the plaudits.

Overrated - Van Dijk. He’s good, can’t deny that. He’s not the best defender in the world, he’s achieved nothing yet to warrant that title.

Underrated - Christian Eriksen. When you see the money Coutinho went for and the figures quoted for others, he’s got to be worth over £150m in the current market. He’s Spurs’ best player by a mile.

I think many are saying Neymar because of their dislike of him. Boy is a dramatic diving cnut, but there is no doubt he's a word class player.

Exactly. Can't believe anyone is saying Neymar's underrated when he's probably in the top 5 players in the world.

I’m tempted to say Messi for the overrated bracket, but I don’t want to start a rammy. I’m not saying he isn’t a classy player, perhaps even the best of his generation, but the way he is treated like the second coming does my nut in sometimes. Pele, Cruyff, and Maradonna were much better as their International record shows. Again, while Lionel is a cracking player he does get overrated when it comes to the GOAT

I'm sorry but this is just mental. You're judging an international career but completely excluding club careers. What did Cruyff achieve in his international career?

Messi blew Maradona away a long time ago. Pele counts goals scored against under 15 reserves.

Overrated - Van Dijk. He’s good, can’t deny that. He’s not the best defender in the world, he’s achieved nothing yet to warrant that title.

Underrated - Christian Eriksen. When you see the money Coutinho went for and the figures quoted for others, he’s got to be worth over £150m in the current market. He’s Spurs’ best player by a mile.

Agree re: Van Dijk. Can't believe they were actually discussing if he's the best Dutch player ever, if he's one of the best ever in the Premiership, if he was better than Rio Ferdinand etc. Utter nonsense.

Do you watch many PSG games?
Don’t watch french football, will watch psg in the champs league if they have decent opposition. Also watched him tear shit up at the world cup at just 18 years old. Wouldn’t say mbappe is overrated. He is living up to the hype. The problem we have in my generation is people will compare every player to messi and ronaldo who are exceptions.

Facts are he was top scorer in World Cup,facts are also he scores goals against Man U,Liverpool,Dortmund,Real Madrid etc and has 165 goals in 250 games in Orem league and your saying he’s over rated?are you honestly saying that?come on are you being serious?

Facts are the 5 goals came against sides that are barely even professional level teams. If you want to obsess over facts.

Yes, he’s overrated, that doesn’t mean he’s shite it means he’s not as good as many claim. Man United, Liverpool and Dortmund. Sides with leaky defences who haven’t been able to keep weans out a close out some times in recent seasons. Steven Naismith scored against Man Utd and bagged a hat trick against Chelsea by the way. Premiership and Spurs flop Roberto Soledado bagged goals against Real Madrid.

I think your assertion that if you bagged a few goals against some of the big name teams that you can’t be overrated is flawed and missed the point. Think about it for a couple of minutes.

Don’t watch french football, will watch psg in the champs league if they have decent opposition. Also watched him tear shit up at the world cup at just 18 years old. Wouldn’t say mbappe is overrated. He is living up to the hype. The problem we have in my generation is people will compare every player to messi and ronaldo who are exceptions.

So you're admitting you don't watch him on a week in week out basis.

Mbappe plays better for France than he does for PSG and he played better than normal during the World Cup.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, he clearly is, especially for his age.

Overrated - Neymar. Put him into a 2nd tier team and I don't think he wins many games by himself.

Underrated - Marco Verratti from PSG, surprised he hasn't moved to an EPL top 6, Bayern, Barca, Real or Juve (maybe he's not underrated?)
Neymar done it plenty, often didn't get credited for it

However I’d say Cavani or Rodriguez would fight it out for the most overrated currently with Aubameyang just behind them.

As for underrated, I’d agree with Verratti but he picks up far too many stupid bookings. Firmino must be up there and deserves certainly as much credit as Salah for Liverpool’s form in recent years. Ratitic also barely gets a mention for such a great player as does Verane over in Madrid
Yeah, I know. Hes only scored 40+ every season for a decade, and chipping in with a healthy amount of assists to boot. You view him on stats or on the park ability. Man is unreal and probably the best player theres ever been.

Facts are the 5 goals came against sides that are barely even professional level teams. If you want to obsess over facts.

Yes, he’s overrated, that doesn’t mean he’s shite it means he’s not as good as many claim. Man United, Liverpool and Dortmund. Sides with leaky defences who haven’t been able to keep weans out a close out some times in recent seasons. Steven Naismith scored against Man Utd and bagged a hat trick against Chelsea by the way. Premiership and Spurs flop Roberto Soledado bagged goals against Real Madrid.

I think your assertion that if you bagged a few goals against some of the big name teams that you can’t be overrated is flawed and missed the point. Think about it for a couple of minutes.
My point was he scored goals against every top team not just a few they were just a few teams i mentioned,the guy is a goal machine simple as and would score goals in any team.
What do people actually claim about him?
I’m saying facts because quite frankly the stats are their to back my claim up he scores goals in every competition be it champions league,prem league,World Cup etc

So the guy who was joint top scorer in the World Cup and guy who is no doubt going to end up top scorer in the whole history of premier league ahead of Shearer,Henry,Cole,drogba etc is overrated?are you really saying that?
Are you suggesting that you are not aware of his dislike for Harry Kane. He used to know Kane’s penalty stats and goals v the ‘top 6’.

He has a strong dislike for Kane and England. And Madrid. And Ronaldo. And Jose.

Any English player is over rated to f#ck. Linguard being the most over rated player ive ever heard of. Bang average who cares more about fashion, instagram and making up cringey celebrations than football, Pogba being a close 2nd. Most under rated is a hard one but id have to go with Roberto Firmino.

My point was he scored goals against every top team not just a few they were just a few teams i mentioned,the guy is a goal machine simple as and would score goals in any team.
What do people actually claim about him?
I’m saying facts because quite frankly the stats are their to back my claim up he scores goals in every competition be it champions league,prem league,World Cup etc

That he’s the best striker in his league, pushing for the best centre forward in the world.

You can’t use scoring against semi professional sides as some sort of barometer though, I’m sorry. Jamie Vardy has scored goals against Man Utd, Liverpool, City, for England and in the CL too, all for lesser sides than Kane’s Spurs team. Does this also put Vardy right up there in the top bracket?

Are you suggesting that you are not aware of his dislike for Harry Kane. He used to know Kane’s penalty stats and goals v the ‘top 6’.

He has a strong dislike for Kane and England. And Madrid. And Ronaldo. And Jose.

Yeah I do know a bit about football, guilty. It’s useful for discussing it though, means I can go form my opinions and back them up with some evidence. It trumps “aye but he’s pure brulliant he goat 5 goals at ra World Cup”.

So you're admitting you don't watch him on a week in week out basis.

Mbappe plays better for France than he does for PSG and he played better than normal during the World Cup.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, he clearly is, especially for his age.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha “he played better than normal during the world cup” the boys 20 and has the world at his feet. To say he is overrated is daft. He’s what the second highest scorer in the world atm? Behind messi?

Overrated - Neymar. Put him into a 2nd tier team and I don't think he wins many games by himself.

Underrated - Marco Verratti from PSG, surprised he hasn't moved to an EPL top 6, Bayern, Barca, Real or Juve (maybe he's not underrated?)
That is an interesting observation.
There are players who can make a huge difference to almost any team they play in no matter the quality of the other players.
I don't think Neymar is one of them.
I think Ronaldo would because he is a goalscoring machine and if you pump the ball into the box he will get on the end of it.
Might be interesting to wonder what Messi would be like in a less talented eleven?
Maradona at his best, for instance, would have won the Scottish League no matter which team he played for, he would simply have dragged the rest of the team with him.
I think. :)

That is an interesting observation.
There are players who can make a huge difference to almost any team they play in no matter the quality of the other players.
I don't think Neymar is one of them.
I think Ronaldo would because he is a goalscoring machine and if you pump the ball into the box he will get on the end of it.
Might be interesting to wonder what Messi would be like in a less talented eleven?
Maradona at his best, for instance, would have won the Scottish League no matter which team he played for, he would simply have dragged the rest of the team with him.
I think. :)

Would you not accept that Messi has played in a less talented 11 than Ronaldo at times? People always say the only reason Messi was so good was due to Xavi & Iniesta. The when they went it was only because of Suarez and Neymar. What next?

Neymar pretty much grabbed the Barca-PSG game by the scruff of the neck and won it for them in one of the best comebacks ever.

I think most people dislike Neymar because he's a diving wee prick.

Yeah I do know a bit about football, guilty. It’s useful for discussing it though, means I can go form my opinions and back them up with some evidence. It trumps “aye but he’s pure brulliant he goat 5 goals at ra World Cup”.
I don't recall ever posting re. Kane and the WC.

Would you not accept that Messi has played in a less talented 11 than Ronaldo at times? People always say the only reason Messi was so good was due to Xavi & Iniesta. The when they went it was only because of Suarez and Neymar. What next?

Neymar pretty much grabbed the Barca-PSG game by the scruff of the neck and won it for them in one of the best comebacks ever.

I think most people dislike Neymar because he's a diving wee prick.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't press the point about Messi I was really just throwing it open to debate.
I am a Messi admirer.
However, I cannot help but note that Maradona took an Argentine team much the same as the present Argentine team to a World Cup win.
Messi hasn't been the catalyst for the same, although I am of the opinion that the quality of opposition in the last two world cups, certainly, hasn't been all that.

But this is the type of debate where it is very much opinion based.

Back