Most succesful Ranger?

GM_Punk

Just reading a few things about Gio and Gattuso on here today has got me thinking.

Going on trophies, who is the most successful ever Rangers player? Not many will have gone on to win the Champions League and World Cup.

Just reading a few things about Gio and Gattuso on here today has got me thinking.

Going on trophies, who is the most successful ever Rangers player? Not many will have gone on to win the Champions League and World Cup.

Gio was my first thought reading the thread title, but Gattuso is probably the right answer.

Shout out for Bob McPhail who was the club record league scorer until a certain Mr McCoist overtook him. 9 Titles and 6 Scottish Cups in 12 years - there was no league cup competition at that time stands comparison with Gough, as an example, who had 9 titles but only 3 Scottish Cup wins. He did,, however, have 6 League Cup winners medals. Fewer goals though.
Hard to compare with no European games and fewer internationals back then.

If it's only scottish medals , I will go left field and say Mr Struth, 18 league wins for a start!

Souness has 3 champions league winners medals but Gattuso certain it done well.

Fergie has 10 titles, 3 Scottish Cup and 5 league cup winners medals with Rangers plus the Scottish Cup he won with St Mirren.
Gough has the same number (18) of medals won with Rangers - 9 titles, 3 Scottish and 6 League Cups. He also has a title winners medal from his time at Dundee Hibs

Fergie has 10 titles, 3 Scottish Cup and 5 league cup winners medals with Rangers plus the Scottish Cup he won with St Mirren.
Gough has the same number (18) of medals won with Rangers - 9 titles, 3 Scottish and 6 League Cups. He also has a title winners medal from his time at Dundee Hibs

What about McCoist? Only 1 Scottish Cup but he won a lot of League Cups. I make it 9 of them.

What about McCoist? Only 1 Scottish Cup but he won a lot of League Cups. I make it 9 of them.
9 League Cups and 1 Scottish - The question is how many titles did he get. Did he get a medal 94/95 with only a handful of appearances? If so he will have a total haul of 20 winners medals. One more than Ferguson and Gough.

If it's medals won when they played for Rangers then it has to be Ally McCoist

10 league, 1 Scottish Cup and 9 Scottish League Cup winners medals

20 medals in total.

But if it's a Rangers players entire medal collection then Souness tops the lot as a player he has 17 winners medals 3 of those were European Cups, as a manager he won 11 trophies with 4 different clubs.

I hope the rumours are true about him coming back to Rangers.

Last edited:
And possibly the most underrated in my humble opinion. Done a great job
Don't think he was underrated, my memory is he was a massive favourite amongst the support.

Hard as nails to boot, could do with his like now.

Reactions: TQ3
Don't think he was underrated, my memory is he was a massive favourite amongst the support.

Hard as nails to boot, could do with his like now.
Agree but he’s not held in the esteem he should be. Never spoken about as one of our greats. Think he should be

Over his entire football career, Sir Alex must have amounted quite a haul of honours.

Not sure he won anything as a player mate.

His most famous moment as a Rangers player was probably selling the jerseys for the 1st goal in 1969 SC Final.

Back