Most surprised/shocked you have been at one of our results?

I'll go for a couple of walter smith results within the same month.
For a positive surprise i'll go for 9 men league cup final win. We were playing terrible with 11 men and thought we had no chance once we were down to 9 but we dug deep and won it.

For the negative i'll go about 10 days later when we got pumped 4-1 from st johnstone. We were still cruising to the title but remember being stunned listening to it.

Berwick 1967 was a shock for me, how we lost that game still rankles me after all these years...The 2016 SC semi when we won on pens against them was a surprise, I really thought we were going to get pumped

Progres away

I was under the impression we had a vastly improved playing squad. Little did I know I was about to be blown away by how shite some of them were.

Took me a while to convince myself that it actually happened.

Think this was the first game that I was genuinely speechless afterwards. In games that we lose that we didn't expect to you can put some logical behind it. Kanuas for instance the team were shattered/hangover from the season before etc. etc.

After the Progres game I just stared at the TV in disbelief to what I had just witnessed.

Shocked- Kaunas , out of europe only a few weeks after Manchester.....Progres Niederkorn nothing more to be said..
Good- The 87/88 European cup run, beating Dynamo Kiev and Gornik Zabrese, before losing in the quarter final to a very good Steau Bucharest side...i genuinely thought we'd go all the way that season

Chesterfield. F’n Chesterfield. I was living about 40 miles away and took the chance to see The Famous. I think this was the only time I ever regretted following Rangers. They were embarrassing.
Mate I share your pain. Both games from that Anglo Scottish Cup Qtr Final in Oct 1980. Don't know what to say. Only bit of light - The Blues (Chesterfield's) home programme was like a homage to the Rangers. They seemed to be genuinely over the moon to be on the same pitch as such a famous club.

I said Lyon away for a positive result but did not add a negative. I'd say the home game against Unirea Urziceni back in 2009 ( lost 1-4 )

Beating Leverkusen away in 1998 . I was on a beach on Cyprus with a Rangers Tsh9rt on and this fella walked up and said fantastic result last night, could not believe we had beatten them as they were a far better side then .

Getting pumped 4-1 by Unirea Urziceni at Ibrox. Could not believe it, Ibrox was horrible that night. Near me in the main stand that night a guy offered a woman out for a square go as arguments about the team got out of hand.

Away to braga. Win

Ramadan cup final against Raith rovers. Loss

Although it shouldn’t have been a shock I struggled to get my bad round Hibs beating us in the Scottish cup final.

Surprise win: 3-0 away to Lyon (given their position in French football at that time and being away)

Surprise loss: 1-0 to Raith in the Ramsden Cup Final

Mate I share your pain. Both games from that Anglo Scottish Cup Qtr Final in Oct 1980. Don't know what to say. Only bit of light - The Blues (Chesterfield's) home programme was like a homage to the Rangers. They seemed to be genuinely over the moon to be on the same pitch as such a famous club.
Forgot about the programme. I’d been mouthing off to my work colleagues in Lincolnshire about The Famous and had to go into work the next day to face their laughter. Noticed the programme in the car footwell on the way home that night, crumpled it in a ball and launched it out of the window.

In my lifetime, Lyon away 3 nil was incredible, at the time I don't think I realised how massive that result was.

In recent times probably both matches against Braga considering the first 60 minutes at Ibrox, and the run of form they were on.

I remember saying to friends after the Home leg against Progres which we won 1-0 that the tie was no where near over, from what I can remember they missed a couple of decent chances, added to that our new signings were absolutely pish.

Absolutely brutal trip back home from the second leg on a bus, said I would never do a bus euro trip again...then we drew them again 2 years later!!

I remember saying to friends after the Home leg against Progres which we won 1-0 that the tie was no where near over, from what I can remember they missed a couple of decent chances, added to that our new signings were absolutely pish.

Absolutely brutal trip back home from the second leg on a bus, said I would never do a bus euro trip again...then we drew them again 2 years later!!

That game wasnt much better

Good - Lyon

Bad - being 2 nil up at someone, I always forget who but think it was Alloa, in the challenge cup and losing 3-2. Was in work nightshift and felt sick the whole night.

Back