Most surprised/shocked you have been at one of our results?

Losing 2-0 at home to the poets at the start of this season.

We were playing some great stuff up to that point, unbeaten in all competitions and looked pretty invincible and after the complete domination of the previous OF game, I thought the game was in the bag.

Then I saw the team-sheet and within the first two and a half minutes of the game knew we were going to lose it.

Given how the season went up until the winter break, that was a real anomaly. Shocking performance.

Let’s go for a good surprise. The 3-0 win in Lyon in 2007. And we got ridiculous odds against Rangers which we miraculously converted into beer. Great trip all round.

Beat 3-0 on the day we were being presented with the league trophy, Off the sheep I’m sure, Must’ve been very early 90’s.

Unexpected defeats
- Hamilton in 1987
- Motherwell in 1997 where we could have clinched NIAR in front of a packed Ibrox. The players seemed to freeze.
- Umpteen European matches in the 1990s where Rangers just didn’t turn it on at the right time. Sparta Prague in 1991... the result was there to be had until an inventive cockup in defence put an end to it all.
Grasshoppers, Auxerre, Gothenburg, Levski Sofia... all matches that Rangers should have been dealing with comfortably given the players available.

Unexpected wins
- Bheggars 3:2 at home in 2012 was a proper fire-in-the-belly response to everything that had gone on in months previously.. didn’t expect it at all though
- League Cup in 2011 to some extent.. the games against Celtic had a bite to them at that point and with all the hoo-ha after the Scottish Cup games, I was pleasantly surprised to see Rangers come out on top with that one.. we were under the coach on& off the pitch at that time.

I think some of my most unexpected wins have come in the last 2 seasons. Beating Midtjylland so comfortably away from home, beating Braga away, Porto at home. The draw away to Villareal. Beating Maribor so easily as well. These results were a huge surprise to me based on what had come before in Europe.
Beating Celtic in 2018 was a big one too, I didn't think we had it in us at that time.
Most unexpected loss....Levski Sofia.

I was working in Saudi when we played Shelbourne in Tranmere
The sports channel I was watching gave the final score as 3- 0 to them

To say I was shocked was an understatement- & the resulting depression wasn't eased by several sids (Siddiqui- poor version of 'moonshine' )

I woke up the next morning with a furious hangover & slowly calculated the time difference in relation to the point I'd heard the result the night before

Still very confused - I switched on the sports channel to get the actual full time score & was surprised all over again- but obviously with a much better conclusion this time
Thank God for Amato

2010 League cup final. Down to nine men. Whilst it was only St Midden I still didn’t expect us to hold out

Beating Juventus 1978/79 was a great result.
losing to Kilmarnock at home in the 2nd last match of our going for 10 in a row season.

First two that came to mind instantly were
Unirea at Ibrox, that was shocking, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Lyon away , that was a big upset.

4.2 defeat against 10 of the filth midweek at the peadome cost us a title back in 78/79 season .
Cup final shockers v Dundee Utd, Hearts, Hibs and the Ramsdens fiasco.

Let’s go for a good surprise. The 3-0 win in Lyon in 2007. And we got ridiculous odds against Rangers which we miraculously converted into beer. Great trip all round.
Wasn’t it wonderful? I woke up next morning thinking that I must have dreamt it. We were there for a couple of days afterwards and just drifted around the city in an intoxicated dream.

Parma 2009 at Ibrox. Parma hadn't lost a European tie for 6 years and were the current UEFA Cup holders.

To say I was shocked was an understatement- & the resulting depression wasn't eased by several sids (Siddiqui- poor version of 'moonshine' )

I woke up the next morning with a furious hangover & slowly calculated the time difference in relation to the point I'd heard the result the night before

Still very confused - I switched on the sports channel to get the actual full time score & was surprised all over again- but obviously with a much better conclusion this time
You can get a good sid also, if you know who to buy it from :rolleyes:

Progres away

I was under the impression we had a vastly improved playing squad. Little did I know I was about to be blown away by how shite some of them were.

Took me a while to convince myself that it actually happened.

This for me. In all fairness on paper that Rangers team were far superior and should have had the job done at home in the first leg. Just a sign of things to come that season sadly

3-2 against Alloa game.

Add in that shambolic final against Raith Rovers.

Unirea was ridiculous.

Final one the 5-0 at home against the scum.

The most horrible game a can remember, we were awful 5-0 made us look good it shoulda been 10.

I think beating Bayern in 1972. They were a phenomenal side and that result is arguably the best by any Scottish side in history. I know 72 had a feeling if destiny to it, and I certainly thought it was possible. Yet I still recall the feeling of awe after we had won the tie. I knew then the cup was ours.

Lyon away was another the really surprised me. We are always capable of a result in Europe, but the margin of victory in that game caught be off guard.

On the downside I don’t think anything will top Berwick. That was just inconceivable at the time.

Us beating them 3-2 when they could have won the league at Ibrox.

Given all that had happened since February I was pretty sure that was happening that day.

More joy and relief than shock if I'm honest.
Remember watching that in the pub absolutely scunnered. Ended up scrapping with mhanks in the pub afterwards. Took a dooin on the pitch and in the boozer. Was a good day.

I was playing football that night,went on the pitch we were losing 3-0,came off asked someone the score,5-3 mate was the reply,i thought at least we got 3 goals back but was suprised to find we had won 5-3 when i got home.

Home to Braga.

At one point, I was realistically planning to exit & get a decent nights sleep for work if we went 4 down.

Me & the guys were sitting in the pub afterwards just stunned at what we had witnessed. Still no idea how we won that game :))

League cup from final last year. Just how we managed to not win beggars belief. Genuinely still amazed we never won it after the performance we put in.

Progres was shambolic, less said the better.

In a good way I think the Europa run this season has left me surprised. Not one team after 2nd qualifying could be described as easy and for us to consistently get the results that we have had is amazing

Recently for me was the league cup final against them 1-0. We absolutely battered them, a one sided match shot after shot chance after chance and we still got beat. That game nearly killed me, took me about 3 days to get over it.
3 days?. It took me 21.

3-2 against Alloa game.

Add in that shambolic final against Raith Rovers.

Unirea was ridiculous.

Final one the 5-0 at home against the scum.

The most horrible game a can remember, we were awful 5-0 made us look good it shoulda been 10.
As much as it pains me to recall that one, we actually scored to make it 1-4 before allowing Lustig to waltz through in injury time to make it 1-5.

Id left at 0-4. Felt awful doing it but that was sheer masochism enduring that filth lording it over us that day

Had a long hard thi k and,

The negative - 0-1 to Kilmarnock at the tail end of the 10IAR season.

The positive - The 0-0 with Barcelona in 2007 and also with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Had a long hard thi k and,

The negative - 0-1 to Kilmarnock at the tail end of the 10IAR season.

The positive - The 0-0 with Barcelona in 2007 and also with Manchester United at Old Trafford.
Remember the feeling coming home from that Killie game , so close to making history too, specially as we had only just lost at Pittodrie as well.

The 4-2 game at the Piggery when they were down to 10 men left me numb. I didn’t know whether to rant, rage or shit myself. It was that bad.

Hamilton 1987

Levski Sofia 1993
AEK Athens 1994
Kaunas 2008

Hamilton March 2020

Malmo 2011. Who knows had we made the champions league the money on offer may have saved us from liquidation.

The 4-2 game at the Piggery when they were down to 10 men left me numb. I didn’t know whether to rant, rage or shit myself. It was that bad.
When I earlier posted Berwick in 1967,it was a toss up with the above,that was a horrible night but not a shock.

The 0-1 game against Kilmarnock at Ibrox in the 10 in a row season.

I was 10 - would be the first time in my life Ranger would not win the title. Something I thought impossible!

I remember being certain all game we’d nick a goal and still win it and remember my shock when they took the lead late on :(

I am old enough to have been at Hampden when we lost 7-1.That score line still haunts me. On the positive side, after the first leg at Ibrox, thought we would have had no chance in Eindhoven. Rangers beat a very good team that night.

Another for Lyon away, saw the match stats again for it the other day and it just adds to the disbelief.

Shocked is the League Cup Final this season. Took me days to get over the fact we lost it, thought it was 50/50 before the game but during it, our dominance was becoming very apparent and it felt like a matter of time until we scored and went onto win, I was in a state of disbelief for days probably weeks after we lost it. Only got over it when we beat them at Parkhead.

Surprised/overjoyed it has to be Helicopter Sunday.

Back