MOTD2

VAR is a joke. They are turning down stonewall penalties and only seem interested in chopping off goals, the one on Kane was as stonewall as they come.

Crouch talking about stealing a penalty off Gerrard there and missing it. :D Imagine facing our Stevies wrath in the dressing room.

Last edited:
Why did they not implement it where they had the ref check the footage at the side of the pitch?

I think it's better, it has to be clear and obvious for it to be changed. Ref thought he stumbled, no penalty, can you really say 100% the other way? The Silva one I thought was maybe more of a shout, but ref seen it, thought not enough in it, VAR cant change that as the ref has said no with a clear view on it. A situation where someone slides in and from the refs view he takes the ball, but on camera can be seen he clearly doesn't touch the ball will be the kind of decisions we will see changed. If they are consistent with this, then all good, but still not totally convinced that VAR is good for the game overall

Why did they not implement it where they had the ref check the footage at the side of the pitch?

I agree with this.

The VAR is at the World Cup in 2018 seemed to work the best. I think there was 1 instance between Portugal and someone that the ref made a howler after looking at VAR but he looked well paid off to be fair :D

I've said it before, in England it seems like they're doing their best at messing up VAR for some reason.

I think they can check it at the side of the pitch but for some reason they are not doing this. Personally I think VAR is just another opinion, it should be ditched giving full power back to the ref and his assistants.

With the VAR decisions going against
Man C. I think their panels must be made up of Man U fans.
Hmm, Man City get away with lots to even things up. During the week I read an article about how they foul as soon as they lose the ball as, because it is higher up the pitch, they don't get a booking most times. First minute yesterday Zinchenko did that, basically just dived on the player to pull him down. Also Walker should have been sent off, the yellow he got could have been a red on another day and he did one just as bad before and got away with it. For their penalty shout, don't get me wrong I think it was a pen, Lerma was very clever and twisted his foot round after he had made contact so it looked like he didn't do anything. They have been very unlucky with VAR shouts so far this season

Not a penalty for me but this is exactly why VAR is pointless in some cases.

It’s still subjective whether it’s looked at once by the ref in real time or 100 times in the slowest motion by video refs.

Sky had a good review show on Sky where Alex Scott, Chris Kamara and Danny Simpson reviewed a lot of the VAR decisions we are chatting about here, and it was absolutely farcical.

The three of them ended up just laughing and holding their hands in the air, completely baffled how some of those decisions were given and some not.

Whilst being broadly in favour of VAR in terms of clearing up obvious mistakes, it's use at the moment is horrible. They really need to get their act together on this and also be much more open to the prospect of VAR refs explaining their VAR decisions publicly after the event.

Hmm, Man City get away with lots to even things up. During the week I read an article about how they foul as soon as they lose the ball as, because it is higher up the pitch, they don't get a booking most times. First minute yesterday Zinchenko did that, basically just dived on the player to pull him down. Also Walker should have been sent off, the yellow he got could have been a red on another day and he did one just as bad before and got away with it. For their penalty shout, don't get me wrong I think it was a pen, Lerma was very clever and twisted his foot round after he had made contact so it looked like he didn't do anything. They have been very unlucky with VAR shouts so far this season
All teams play in a similar ‘ professional ‘ manner.

Not ever single bit of contant should lead to a foul or a player falling down.

Kane is notorious for going down at any slight touch so i'm glad Spurs didn't get the penalty.

As soon as I saw the replays I thought “ stonewaller “ . Couldn’t believe they never gave it , it looked even more a penalty when it was slowed down .

The English media go after City with their fake news in much the same way their Scottish counterparts go after us.
They want the old order restored down there.

The English media go after City with their fake news in much the same way their Scottish counterparts go after us.
They want the old order restored down there.
To be fair, I haven't noticed much of that down here, Pep and Klopp are the media darlings from what I have seen.

Back