Motherwell 0 Rangers 1, February 1976

dh1963

In 1975-76 defending champions Rangers lost 5 of their first 15 league games in the newly created Scottish Premier League and looked like they might struggle to retain the title they had waited so long to win the previous season.
But after losing at Pittodrie in early December, Jock Wallace found the winning formula and the team never lost a game for the rest of the campaign, bringing a record 3rd treble to Ibrox.
In amongst this long unbeaten run across all 3 domestic competitions, was this hard fought win on February 28th 1976 at Fir Park, a ground they had suffered defeat early on in the season.

No prizes for guessing who scored the only goal!

This is the kind of relentless winning run, and grinding our important wins that we all want to see happen in 2019-20. I'd certainly take this same result tomorrow.

Anyone remember this game?

Was there as a 16yo, I saved my first years apprentice pay and my brother worked for Qantas so cheap flights and I was off, stayed at my aunt's in Ayr.

Took in the cup game v the sheep 4-1 then it was Ayr at Somerset we won but can't recall the score then the Motherwell game I could've swore it was 2-0 but great to see the goal again, and as a bye it's the last time I'll leave an oz summer to go back in Feb I didn't even own a coat so it was a denim jacket for me.

Back