Motherwell 0 Rangers 5, November 1974

dh1963

1974-75.
Celtic were trying for 10 in a row.
Motherwell were a hard team to beat.
Our first meeting with them of the season was at Fir Park.

We hammered them. And went on to win the title after a long painful wait.
History repeating itself on Sunday would be nice.

I was at that game, and we had a manager and squad who fully appreciated how important winning the League that season was. We had some really good players then, too!

We also had referees who (not all of them, but a majority) were trying to referee the games in a fair manner, and not playing to a vicious and orchestrated anti-Rangers agenda.

1974-75.

How we could do with a Cutty Young in the team,a peach.

Was at the game. That wee bovril stand at the left hand side terracing (watching on TV) didn't half used to get a hammering as punters would climb on top and get into the Main stand.

There's also a daft bit of trivia I remember from that game.

Apparently a Rangers fan that day hopped over a fence segregating the enclosure from the terracing and lost a finger. When hopping over his wedding ring got caught of the top of the railing as he made his leap.

Ouch!

Was at the game, in those days you could get the train direct from Queens Park station to Motherwell

Took my girlfriend (wife to be) to that match, that was her first Rangers match.
She was a lucky omen that season as she was also with me at Pittodrie in December when we won 2-1, our first victory up there for a few seasons iirc!
Unfortunately she let me down on the day of the league decider at Easter Road, which I had to miss as she was admitted to the maternity ward.

Used to get in through the school and climb the wall, that was a good motherwell side for a few years. Would have been there for def strangely no memory

I can still remember watching that on 'Scotsport' (I was 10) and Cutty Young's reaction to his goal especially lol. He was always one of my favourite players back then along with DJ and that was a cracker. Some finish by the sadly late departed Bobby McKean for the fifth too. I used to love going through to the old Fir Park but detest the present ground, which is incredibly soulless in comparison (and never seems filled, not that that makes a difference tomorrow!). Thanks for posting @dh1963, more great memories!

I was there wearing the Motherwell strip safely hidden under my jeans and parka. I had gone through on the train after playing for my BB team and our strip was the full Motherwell kit.

220th Shawlands, Glasgow. Unbeatable that season, what a team!

I was there wearing the Motherwell strip safely hidden under my jeans and parka. I had gone through on the train after playing for my BB team and our strip was the full Motherwell kit.

220th Shawlands, Glasgow. Unbeatable that season, what a team!
You must have played against the mad 9th from Pollokshaws

I was behind the town end that day with my late dad, loved the away games in the old grounds.
It was always a bit crazy with the cash turnstiles getting into the grounds in the seventies.

Parlane and wee Doddy?
Not MacDonald.
Never liked him after he told me, as a 14yo “S” form, I wasn’t likely to make it.
I didn’t take into consideration that there was another thirty or so at that training session that day, or that he said it was unlikely that any of us would play first team football for Rangers.
My view was that he was talking only to me and I was sick as a parrot.
Of course, at the next session, the trainers explained what he meant and where he was coming from but, it was too late, the damage was done.
Seriously, loved the wee man just not to the level of the other two.

Not MacDonald.
Never liked him after he told me, as a 14yo “S” form, I wasn’t likely to make it.
I didn’t take into consideration that there was another thirty or so at that training session that day, or that he said it was unlikely that any of us would play first team football for Rangers.
My view was that he was talking only to me and I was sick as a parrot.
Of course, at the next session, the trainers explained what he meant and where he was coming from but, it was too late, the damage was done.
Seriously, loved the wee man just not to the level of the other two.

I'm the opposite. To this day I still put him in my best Rangers eleven. In front of Souness, Wilkins, Durrant and Ferguson.

He was just the perfect Rangers midfielder. Could pass, win tackles go box to box, score important goals. And knows The Sash!

I'm the opposite. To this day I still put him in my best Rangers eleven. In front of Souness, Wilkins, Durrant and Ferguson.

He was just the perfect Rangers midfielder. Could pass, win tackles go box to box, score important goals. And knows The Sash!
MacDonald had his qualities, no doubt about it but, for me, he couldn’t control a game the way the others you mention could.
His strengths made it easier for the others to dictate the game, of course but, in my opinion, he was behind those guys in overall quality.

Last edited:
MacDonald had his qualities, no doubt about it but, for me, he couldn’t control a game the way the others you mention could.
His strengths made it easier for the others to dictate the game, of course but, in my opinion, he was behind those guys in overall quality.
Agree with this. An earlier Stuart McCall. Did the graft for others to provide the glitter.

1974-75.

Hopefully prophetic.

1974-75.

So nearly a wonderful shout :)

Stewart Rennie palmed it into his own net. I see myself and other BB pals down by the corner flag. After the first two goals my dad and uncles went to the Fir Park club and came back steaming about 20 minutes after the game finished to pick us up.

Back