Motherwell Agree Fee With Them For Turnbull

Any player that would agree to sign for that crowd with all the news about decades of covering up child abuse is, in my opinion, making a statement about his own character!
Harsh, nah!
You hang about with a club renowned for abusing children then what does that say about you?

The old judging a person by the company he keeps condemns this player as someone who wouldn't be welcome at Ibrox anyway.
Agree this individual should be absolutely pounded on what ever social media he frequents, letting him know what sort of club he has just signed for and that goes for any player who chooses that rancid club.

Hopefully this season was a one off, we need our midfield to contribute more goals, they already have goalscoring midfielders and have possible added another. Hopefully have our eyes on others

Bit disappointed that we have missed out on Turnbull. Best young player in Scotland at a position of need and I think at 19-years-old he’s worth £3 million. People can say he and McGregor are overrated but if they sell one for £10-15m and add Turnbull then that’s good business. Hopefully we make a big move this week and trump that value. Aribo on a free would be a good start.

Not going to pretend I know a lot about the lad as I don't.

He might be the next big thing. He might not.

As thing a stand I think our budget could be better used elsewhere. Regardless of what he might or might not develop into.

We don't have that luxury right now.

Slaughtering the boy though.. seriously..

He is the one player I wanted us to get, however Aribo on a free is good business and he is tried and tested. Who is to say that Turnbull won't freeze going to them, it's happened many times before.

His stats are impressive but a lot of it comes down to his goals he scored during the latter part of the season against bottom six clubs. Around Feb-March it was Hastie everyone was raving about and that's despite the fact he'd only been in the Motherwell side since January. Turnbull then went on a scoring streak towards the end of the season where he rattled in goals against bottom six sides -- Livingston, Dundee, St Mirren, Hamilton and St Johnstone. There was absolutely no talk of a big fee until that latter period.

His stats are impressive but a lot of it comes down to his goals he scored during the latter part of the season against bottom six clubs. Around Feb-March it was Hastie everyone was raving about and that's despite the fact he'd only been in the Motherwell side since January. Turnbull then went on a scoring streak towards the end of the season where he rattled in goals against bottom six sides -- Livingston, Dundee, St Mirren, Hamilton and St Johnstone. There was absolutely no talk of a big fee until that latter period.

Yep. 3 of his goals were against top 6 sides - 1 each against Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. A quarter of his goals were scored against Dundee.

That doesn’t mean he won’t be good. Scoring against half the top 6 is not bad for a midfielder and he could only score against the teams they were playing. But it was always a concern I had when we were discussing him for us.

W
Yep. 3 of his goals were against top 6 sides - 1 each against Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. A quarter of his goals were scored against Dundee.

That doesn’t mean he won’t be good. Scoring against half the top 6 is not bad for a midfielder and he could only score against the teams they were playing. But it was always a concern I had when we were discussing him for us.
while this is true you could also argue that against the better teams he will get far less service as the majority of the Motherwell team is crap.

It’s a disappointment that a guy rated as a top young talent is going to them, no point in getting away from it. I just hope he sits on their bench and does very little

W

while this is true you could also argue that against the better teams he will get far less service as the majority of the Motherwell team is crap.

It’s a disappointment that a guy rated as a top young talent is going to them, no point in getting away from it. I just hope he sits on their bench and does very little

Agree but only because I want us to have all the good Scottish players.

I think that there do remain genuine questions about his potential though. Said the same thing on the threads about us signing him. While i’d have been excited and hopeful if we had him, i’d still acknowledge that he was a very significant risk especially given the short time frame and limited opposition he faced versus the price.

I asked on one of our threads about his advanced stats too but no one took me up on it. There is some stat about goals vs expected goals looking at how often an average player ‘should’ score from the positions he shoots from. Although a few prodigies might genuinely be better at shooting, I think most players fall in a normal curve. So, if you are scoring more than you ‘should’ - especially over a short time frame - it might suggest that you are just being lucky. That stood out for Lafferty in his time with hearts. I’d be very interested in that stat for Turnbull but have no idea where you get it.

oooft 11 pages lol (yes i realised i just added to it) Turnbull is a good wee player worth £3mil ? that remains to be seen hopefully its just a purple patch he's hit

Genuinely can’t remember his performances against us last season
I can.

He was at fault for a goal then bullied off the ball for our third.

That said, i was hoping he would end up down south and not with them as he looks a good prospect. As much as i wanted us to sign him, 3m is a big risk.

Agree but only because I want us to have all the good Scottish players.

I think that there do remain genuine questions about his potential though. Said the same thing on the threads about us signing him. While i’d have been excited and hopeful if we had him, i’d still acknowledge that he was a very significant risk especially given the short time frame and limited opposition he faced versus the price.

I asked on one of our threads about his advanced stats too but no one took me up on it. There is some stat about goals vs expected goals looking at how often an average player ‘should’ score from the positions he shoots from. Although a few prodigies might genuinely be better at shooting, I think most players fall in a normal curve. So, if you are scoring more than you ‘should’ - especially over a short time frame - it might suggest that you are just being lucky. That stood out for Lafferty in his time with hearts. I’d be very interested in that stat for Turnbull but have no idea where you get it.

I will see if i can find it but you are correct, it's way above average and will normalise at some point.

There's no doubt that he could be a very good player in the future, but a better stat to look at would be his xG. He's clearly out performing his xG.

If we can get Aribo in for free or a low development fee and given what we paid for Kamara, we've clearly done the better business.

A good percentage of those goals were also penalties which people dont realise he was also very poor against us giving the ball away cheaply. They've paid 3 million for potential which is always going to be a risk sure the lads talented big theres plenty players out there that have had a good 6 months then disappeared of the radar

Bit disappointed that we have missed out on Turnbull. Best young player in Scotland at a position of need and I think at 19-years-old he’s worth £3 million. People can say he and McGregor are overrated but if they sell one for £10-15m and add Turnbull then that’s good business. Hopefully we make a big move this week and trump that value. Aribo on a free would be a good start.

You can only miss out on a player if you were in for him in the first place.

John McGinn, arguably the best midfielder in the league (or at worst in the top 3 or 4) at the time, went for £3m to the Championship.

Great business by Motherwell to get the same for Turnbull, who may or may not turn out to be a great signing.

One thing for sure is that Celtic have acted in haste in order to avoid a repeat of the whole McGinn saga from last year.

I know he's had a good season but I think hastie had a better 6 months for them albeit a different position than him. He is a good player but it's a risk paying that kind of money for him after 1 good season suppose time will tell though

Hopefully this season was a one off, we need our midfield to contribute more goals, they already have goalscoring midfielders and have possible added another. Hopefully have our eyes on others

You do know we were the top scorers in the league, with our right back having more assists than anyone else, not to mention his goals contribution?

It's the overall team goals contribution that counts.

Edit, Ryan Jack scored as many goals as the free scoring Tom Rogic, who contributed a massive 3 goals in 28 games.

Considering Rogic is an attacking mid, whereas Jack is defensively minded, it's not exactly a prolific return from the Aussie dud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hastie offers better value IMO.

Both are young players who need to develop, both have impressed in their last season and apparently both have been impressive coming through the youth ranks. Right now we've no idea just how good they could be and while Hastie may not turn out to be as good as Turnbull, at 1/10th of the outlay (development fee) he is the better value which is something we need right now.

IMO its a signing to appease the fans after the McGinn situation last summer. Lets see if the lad does actually sign for them, he may still get his move south.

You do know we were the top scorers in the league, with our right back having more assists than anyone else, not to mention his goals contribution?

It's the overall team goals contribution that counts.

Edit, Ryan Jack scored as many goals as the free scoring Tom Rogic, who contributed a massive 3 goals in 28 games.

Considering Rogic is an attacking mid, whereas Jack is defensively minded, it's not exactly a prolific return from the Aussie dud.
We were mate but look at the 15 games we drew/lost. Pretty sure the vast majority we scored 1, or not at all. That would be despite dominating 95% of they games, but not being able to break teams down, be creative enough, offer enough goalscoring thread.

Its a massive issue for us, the main issue that held us back last year.

Next season much more needs to come from the wide areas & central midfield. Thats why money needs spent in these areas.

I'm not bothered where Turnbull plays his football, but I think this is classic Celtc headline deflection, why are Motherwell saying IF the deal goes through? why is the actual figure not said. I bet he doesn't sign.

I have to say I haven't seen much of him but a quick look on social media Motherwell fans are absolutely raging about him going. Yes he has decent stats but he's only played one season. A number of them are saying they are cancelling their season tickets and saying they should be getting £20 million. Absolute crack pots

Im pretty annoyed were not signing him. £2m for Grezda but we’re unwilling to pay £3m for him. He could have been a stalwart for 10 years plus in our team. These dont come come along often and now weve missed another one.

I'm sure Gerrard, Allen and the rest of our scouting team are well aware of Turnbull but the fact is we can't risk £3m on potential at this stage - that kind of investment needs to be a guaranteed first team player who will make an immediate impact.

It's a shame he is likely heading to the Dark Side but this deal is just too rich for our blood at the moment.

Im pretty annoyed were not signing him. £2m for Grezda but we’re unwilling to pay £3m for him. He could have been a stalwart for 10 years plus in our team. These dont come come along often and now weve missed another one.

Players that have a good six months don’t come along very often?

Whilst I think ideally Rangers should be snapping up the bets Scottish talent and Turnbull is another 1 of these Scott Allan type's I think, with Christie McGregor and Rogic already there it's hard to see where this lad fits into their team.
At £3million, currently, if we spend that sort of cash we need that cash spent on a player that is going to majorly impact our season. Not a Grezda or a Barisic sort of impact but an Arfield or Kent or Kamara sort of impact.

End of the day, it doesn't matter who they sign, our battle is with ourselves.
We need to consistently beat the rest and until we do it won't matter what they do.
So Turnbull is signing for them, nothing has changed for us.
It's still and always is about us.

I honestly know nothing of the lad. Good, bad, indifferent. I couldn't tell what he looks like or where he plays.

Should I be worried? I'm not, and here's why. Look who's coaching him.

Rodgers, if there high rating then I'd be concerned .

Lennon, I'm comfortable he can make a cùnt of him

We were mate but look at the 15 games we drew/lost. Pretty sure the vast majority we scored 1, or not at all. That would be despite dominating 95% of they games, but not being able to break teams down, be creative enough, offer enough goalscoring thread.

Its a massive issue for us, the main issue that held us back last year.

Next season much more needs to come from the wide areas & central midfield. Thats why money needs spent in these areas.

Would you not agree that we scored far more freely after the formation was tweaked and Davis, Kamara and Defoe were up to full speed bud?

He has never stood out playing against us and that is the only time I would ever have watched Motherwell.

Apparently scored a few goals at the end of the season playing against the likes of Dundee & St Mirren in the bottom half but I won't lose any sleep about us not signing him.

We're doomed a tell you, doomed. FFS he's not the new Ronaldo. Clearly he has suitors and if Murderwell want to sell him then that's fantastic business for them. Is he the missing link for our team? I highly doubt that. We need to have starters and he's not that. Will he deliver 55? Still don't think so. We have a strong settled squad that needs a few more quality players to step up if required. The Shettlestons are now going through a period of huge change in personell. If the lad goes to them who really cares?

I'm not bothered where Turnbull plays his football, but I think this is classic Celtc headline deflection, why are Motherwell saying IF the deal goes through? why is the actual figure not said. I bet he doesn't sign.
I agree mate. The clubs agreeing a transfer fee and the player signing are two different things. That said, if he does, tells you all you need to know about him.

£3m for a boy who only came on to the scene at Christmas and won't improve their starting 11 is more than a risk. But one that will appease the gullible oddities of the east end.

signings like this prove to me there will be zero footballing sanctions against the mentally challengeds. They must have been able to prove to the player there will be no repercussions from their abuse of children.

I have to say I haven't seen much of him but a quick look on social media Motherwell fans are absolutely raging about him going. Yes he has decent stats but he's only played one season. A number of them are saying they are cancelling their season tickets and saying they should be getting £20 million. Absolute crack pots

Let me see “social media” “Motherwell fans” “crackpots”. Best ignored.

Back