Match Thread Motherwell v Rangers - 12:15 Sunday - Bt Sport

Frustrating bears thats 4 points dropped through last minute goals to the sheep shaggers and these fuckers i know we are unbeaten but to tlose these points is fkn pish well done today kyle and great debut goal from ovie great goal son

Mistakes have to be made before you can learn from them, it wasn't pretty today, some odd decisions and subs too, we were playing against thugs today giving 110% and moving to a 3-5-2 wasn't the best but, progress is progress....trying to stay positive and all that.

3-5-2, 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, none of it has any impact on Tav losing two men at two set pieces.

People are putting way too much emphasis on the formation, it didn’t drop us points.

I did clearly state that we should have a back and no Tav as he cost us two goals.

The formation does matter though, because we’ve been went with a system that’s work extremely well to one that the back three didn’t look comfortable in and stifled our attacking play.

Understand why he played it, but don't think the back three worked at all. Where was the other defender when Goldson slipped? Flanagan should have been round covering. Don't think he in particular got to grips with it. But then again he's a full back.

Pity be didn't shout for the all Inthe six yard box that led to the corner they scored from .no motherweMo players near the ball and a simple take for shagger but he just stood on his line.

Morelos not closing down the short throw, our back line too deep, McGregor rooted to his line, tav’s defending and the strange substitution at the stage of the game......... a shambolic end to a poor performance.

Today was not the day to go three at the back. We need to ditch that idea before stadd de gadd. Ok it might be the way to go but would prefer it with coulibaly in the team. Need to not over react as a lot of poor decisions today principally killing the game or running down the clock. Cannot decide if i relly want us to progress in europa if it is going to be an issue with league games. Cannot afford many more if any further dropped points in this first round of league games. The concession of late game changing goals is alao a real concern

I think he gives a lot going forward especially with assists like at Laffertys second goal. He’s had a lot of assists recently.
He does that but I’d rather we let in less goals as we are a threat up front anyway and will score in games regardless. He is our weakest link.

Few things.

Firstly, we’ve been playing Thursday-Sunday for 7 going on 8 weeks now, so inevitably we are going to see some tired legs. The 3-5-2 wasn’t played today with Motherwell in mind, but experimentation for Celtic and bigger European games. A back 3 is an unfamiliar shape for most players, so it’s little wonder why positionally we were a bit suspect in that regard for parts of the game.

I don’t think there’s much more to say other than we were defending too deep and trying to absorb too much pressure in the second half, and in the end, that goal was coming a while. Whether that was intrusctions from the Manager to sit back and defend a 1-goal lead or fatigue meaning we weren’t able to launch our own attacks I don’t know.

Positives: First half I thought we battled quite well, and it’s been said many times already since Gerrard came in, but last season we would’ve likely gone in behind rather than in-front at half-time.

A bad 45 minutes cost us today, there’s no dressing it up. But it happens. It’s how we react that matters most. I for one will be glad for the International break after next week's game.

They’re just saying Motherwell had 85% possession in that second half. 85% for a team of hammer throwers. That is terrible for Gerrard to allow that to happen. There were big issues that had to be addressed and they weren’t. If the scum get a result today, the pressure of coming away with points at the glitter dome is immense.
In the last 15 minutes, not second half Timmy.

Gutted like everyone else. We were the architects of our own misfortune. When you give your opponents as many successive corners as we did and on each occasion fail to retain the ball and hand it back to the opposition, don't be surprised when we pay the price for it. We simply must work on our defensive shortcomings in the next week. If the lesson is learned then all will be well, but it's up to us. I have confidence it will be addressed.

Few things.

Firstly, we’ve been playing Thursday-Sunday for 7 going on 8 weeks now, so inevitably we are going to see some tired legs. The 3-5-2 wasn’t played today with Motherwell in mind, but experimentation for Celtic and bigger European games. A back 3 is an unfamiliar shape for most players, so it’s little wonder why positionally we were a bit suspect in that regard for parts of the game.

I don’t think there’s much more to say other than we were defending too deep and trying to absorb too much pressure in the second half, and in the end, that goal was coming a while. Whether that was intrusctions from the Manager to sit back and defend a 1-goal lead or fatigue meaning we weren’t able to launch our own attacks I don’t know.

Positives: First half I thought we battled quite well, and it’s been said many times already since Gerrard came in, but last season we would’ve likely gone in behind rather than in-front at half-time.

A bad 45 minutes cost us today, there’s no dressing it up. But it happens. It’s how we react that matters most. I for one will be glad for the International break after next week's game.

Europe, heavy pitch -We were dead on our feet for the last 20 mins or so.
We have virtually a new team so it will take a few months before we see the best from this side.I have seen enough already to know we will bounce back.

Totally self inflicted. I think SG will know it was more than just poor defending at set plays that cost us today, they totally dominated us for most of the second half especially the last 15-20 mins. It was crying out for us to change to shut down the space they were getting especially down our right but it never happened and this is a sore way to learn.
Kick in the guts but better to happen now and learn from it.
We had some horror shows early after Graeme Souness arrived and the knives were out but this is when you build character in a team and SG has been over this ground before in his career and will make sure this makes us stronger. There's just no way we can win every must-win game at this stage, considering where we were just a few months ago, still gutted though.

We lost that game more than we were beaten, if you know what I mean.
Wasn't impressed with our performance at all today, the goals were good, but we didn't dominate or look exciting.

Motherwell gave us a good game and they were (evidently) difficult to beat.
It's done now, still unbeaten, learn the lesson today, and don't do it again, roll on UFA.

poor poor performance all round and didn't deserve the 3 points . we had the game at half time and let them have the ball the whole second half and not many teams can survive an onslaught like that .

the only positive is the fightback in the first half and hopefully lessons to be learned .

as dis-appointing as that result is , we are in a good place but we must learn from today .

What happened to the midfield when Arfield and Middleton came on.
We got worse and could not hold onto the ball.

The back 3 were playing too far apart, at times Flanagan and Katic were on each touchline and Goldson was left isolated in the middle. They should’ve been much closer together. Anyway I understand why he tried it but I don’t think today was the day for it. Possibly better trying it at home to St Mirren or the likes.

Lead up to 3rd goal summed up the second half. Motherwell take quick throw in and Arfield makes no attempt whatsoever to even shut the guy down and of course the long punt causes mayhem that leads to them forcing the corner. Infuriating.

I read they had 70% possession at one stage. I’ll be honest I’m surprised it was as little as that. Barely saw us pass the ball on the deck to a blue jersey the whole second half.

That was a sore one today. Our team looking a bit tired and 2 massive games coming up.

Anyway sod Motherwell. We'll see where they end up at the end of the season....

What happened to the midfield when Arfield and Middleton came on.
We got worse and could not hold onto the ball.

The physical battle suited Halliday better for whatever reason. Fir Park, backs to the wall defending is no place to throwing on a young winger for his first SPFL appearance too. Halliday had just been booked, but the manager has to trust him not to get sent off.

That was a sore one today. Our team looking a bit tired and 2 massive games coming up.

Anyway sod Motherwell. We'll see where they end up at the end of the season....

Motherwell wont care where they end up as long as they get a result against us.

Reactions: dmg
after going 3-2 up we simply never kicked a ball 2nd half totally gutted but ffs we invited that equaliser f..ked off

I think the team played in the second half like a tired team I hope the management can lift the team for the matches in the next week

And the usual melts out in force.

We went behind twice and were unlucky to take all 3 points. We’re playing 2 games a week with some really difficult games so early in the season.

Perspective is needed. I’m happy with the progress so far. A couple of signings away from genuinely competing for the league.
Sorry, but that performance today isn't even close to competing for the league.

Games like that will see spoon burners and sheep finishing above us.

I don't think we'll see too many performances like this again though.

Just back from game. very poor second half . You don't change your team at a corner and in particular the last kick of the game. Poor tactically and we need to play with a decent right back or we will always lose goals.
Not a disaster but SG I am sure will learn from losing four points trying to defend for long periods when we should be up the other end of the park.
Positive for me was big Kyle who showed up today and with some decent balls to him in the second half might well have easily won us the game.
Borna was also good and although on as yellow I would have kept him on.

Fucking gutted today. But also annoyed that we didn’t try to change it - was obvious that we couldn’t hold out 20+ mins of pressure.

As others have said, a horrible time to get this result, especially going into next week.

I hope to hell we can win but a loss would mean the first 4 league games look very disappointing if we are only sitting on 5 points after them

very good first half,but lost our way in the second half;
we looked a very tired team in the second half started
lumping the ball up the field ,just given the ball back to them,
also someone needs to show our keeper how to kick a ball.

There can be no repeating of the same mistake at Rangers and it goes un-noticed. Twice now we have had a one goal lead, twice we have not got on the ball and given the initiative to our opponent. The management and the players need to put this right, and soon; very soon. Jack and Arfield are capable of better than they have given us in the last two matches, and I think the failure stems from midfield; the failure to control the ball today, and the failure to make more of the match last Thursday. Ejaria is the only midfielder taking control of the game, or attempting to; and yes, the defence will cop the flak today, but the midfield is where the ball is won and kept. That midfield is not stepping up if the last two matches are anything to go by. The sooner Coulibaly is back the better, but Jack and Arfield are capable of so much more.

2 points stolen from us today.
We were the better side and at times played good football.
Learn from the defensive mistakes and move on

Tavernier seems to be the main focus on here after todays result.

I'd say their 2nd and 3rd goals were scored by two of their strongest players in the air. There is no doubt Tavernier was to blame for the goals but maybe we should stop putting him on people at set pieces?

He brings a lot of assists to the team with his deliveries so would be hard to drop in my opinion.

Terrible, terrible approach in the 2nd half. Allowed them to dictate the tempo and we were all over the shop.

Bringing on a substitute whilst defending a corner in the last 20 seconds is ridiculous at the best of times. Bringing on a sub who has kicked a ball in months is fuucking criminal.

100% agreed

We weren’t great today,but it’s another game undefeated,2 hard games played away from home where last season there was more than a chance we would have crumbled after going behind. And we are still complaining.

For all those dozens of Motherwell fans celebrating
Why don’t they just sit in the one stand and not embarrass their club ?
Their 3 ends were empty today

For me, the most worrying aspect of that performance today was that it's the first time this season we faced an onslaught, and didn't appear to know how to handle it.

I wonder if SG changed our formation, experimenting to see how it would work on Thursday. If that was the case, he got his answer the hard way.

I don't know if there's anything in football that hurts more than dropping 3 points with a last minute sickener.

As stupid as it sounds I honestly think I'd be less gutted if we got pumped 3-0.

Quite a deflating day with even Gerrard looking a bit flat towards the end & post match.

Some of our play in the first half was excellent & I thought we would tighten up at half time & go on to a 4 or 5-2 win, but the second half was an absolute horror show from the first minute to the last - the warning signs were there right from the kick off & as we sat back I never at any point felt comfortable that we were going to see it out.

Yeah. 1-0 Motherwell, Goldson slipped and let the forward in who chipped the keeper. Freak incident, very unlucky.
Thanks m8.
Was on low power in the wilds of dunoon and thought it's either save power to be rescued, or join the match thread with its deep insight into the goings on at fir park. Lol.

I'm still really fucked off at what we seen today.

3-5-2 clearly wasn't working, especially second half when Motherwell were all over us. Why did the manager not change to a back 4?

Bringing Middleton on for Barasic? Ridiculous decision.

Bringing Wallace on for the last 10 seconds? Pointless.

Tavs inability to defend at times is shocking.

Another last gasp goal that costs us another 2 points.

1 win out of 3 isn't good enough & as shite as they are I'm not looking forward to next Sunday after that performance today.

For me, the most worrying aspect of that performance today was that it's the first time this season we faced an onslaught, and didn't appear to know how to handle it.

I wonder if SG changed our formation, experimenting to see how it would work on Thursday. If that was the case, he got his answer the hard way.
Goldson looked absolutely lost. Only one game but that's the first time, as you say, a team has went right for us and we were shit.

Back