Mourinho is Spurs manager - confirmed

It isn't inconceivable Mourinho has the right idea (track record suggests he does) but the Man U board are just a bag of shit (they are).

i.e Gerrard for instance would have most likely been a totally wasted idea with us if by some freak miracle the Easdales, Green etc had managed to get him.

Good piece in the Independent about how everything Jose is supposed to have impressed Levy with as regards a new philosophy is exactly what he said to Utd and look how that turned out.

I mean post Alex Ferguson, mourinho has been the best manager United has had & he has got the most out the squad

Sure it came crashing down eventually, as it always does with him, but this "mourinho is bad because of United" patter is tiring honestly

It isn't inconceivable Mourinho has the right idea (track record suggests he does) but the Man U board are just a bag of shit (they are).

i.e Gerrard for instance would have most likely been a totally wasted idea with us if by some freak miracle the Easdales, Green etc had managed to get him.
Mourinho was brought in to Spurs, simply to win trophies.

He's never, not won trophies at any club he has been at.

It's completely naive for anyone to suggest he won't win a trophy at Spurs.

If it ends how it did at Chelsea or Utd, Levy and Spurs will not care one bit. They will have trophies and move on to the next manager.

Is the official club interview? The real test will be when he sits in front of the press. Right from the off at United he was sulking and complaining at the press and just seemed miserable.

I hope it’s more the Mourinho of old though, the one that’s crashed and burned in his last 3 jobs is just a joyless pain in the arse.

He apparently appointed a full new PR team after United because he realised he needed to refresh his image, think you can see they’ve been working on him during his recent TV stints.

You're full of it haha. Pochettino did a good job but as others have said, he's won nothing. Arsenal who have been in turmoil for years have won more, as have Man Utd.

What good is having a healthy bank balance? Surely football is about winning? He deserved to be sacked, the same way Mourinho deserved to be sacked in his final season at Chelsea.

The ‘won nothing’ thing is a mental prism to view football through when looking at a club like Spurs.

He could have won two Carabao Cups and two FA Cups, but even that wouldn’t have come close to the achievement of getting that team to the Champions League final.

There are only so many trophies that can be won. Outside of a 8,000/1 miracle like Leicester, you’ll struggle when you’re not backed by your board.

The ‘won nothing’ thing is a mental prism to view football through when looking at a club like Spurs.

He could have won two Carabao Cups and two FA Cups, but even that wouldn’t have come close to the achievement of getting that team to the Champions League final.

There are only so many trophies that can be won. Outside of a 8,000/1 miracle like Leicester, you’ll struggle when you’re not backed by your board.
I'd rather we won 4 domestic cups, than got to the CL final and lost it.

Spurs fans will feel exactly the same. And Levy, hence Jose.

I'm not entirely convinced by that statement personally.

I do think there has to be a slight change in mentality at Spurs that probably reflects where the club want to go and if they see themselves as a club who should be winning more cups, I would also question if a club value a League Cup win for instance v a lot of the body of work Pochettino has put together i.e I doubt they would take the Mourinho "winning" season over what they achieved last year, one of those seasons is a far better body of work yet the one that is didn't end with cups because in this day and age in the EPL there is more depth to it than that.

In order to compete in the EPL with City and Liverpool the reality is a summer most likely needs to look like that which they have just had as opposed to windows where they haven't spent

If it hadn't been for the talent of their previous manager to develop players at the rate he has done for them they wouldn't be close to the level they are currently at, it would be easy for them to fall off a bit in all honesty, as they are where they are predominantly due to an insanely good level of player development.

I would seriously question if Kane, Ali, Rose, Tripppier, Winks, Dier exist at the level they do if they had been working under a lot of other coaches - that is development to the tune of about 400 million quid he has added to that squad that wasn't "spend" as such, it is mainly because of that development Spurs have lived at the level they have managed to in recent years rather than a right to win things, takes work for them to compete in the EPL in this day and age.

Last edited:

Agreed. Such a simplistic view being taken by some.

Pochettino taking Spurs to the CL final is a much bigger achievement than Arsenal winning a few League cups.

I'm not entirely convinced by that statement personally.

I do think there has to be a slight change in mentality at Spurs that probably reflects where the club want to go and if they seem themselves as a club who should be winning more cups, I would also question if a club value a League Cup win for instance v a lot of the body of work Pochettino has put together i.e I doubt they would take the Mourinho "winning" season over what they achieved last year, one of those seasons is a far better body of work yet the one that is didn't end with cups because in this day and age in the EPL there is more depth to it than that.

In order to compete in the EPL with City and Liverpool the reality is a summer most likely needs to look like that which they have just had as opposed to windows where they haven't spent

If it hadn't been for the talent of their previous manager to develop players at the rate he has done for them they wouldn't be close to the level they are currently at, it would be easy for them to fall off a bit in all honesty, as they are where they are predominantly due to an insanely good level of player development.

I would seriously question if Kane, Ali, Rose, Tripppier, Winks, Dier exist at the level they do if they had been working under a lot of other coaches - that is development to the tune of about 400 million quid he has added to that squad that wasn't "spend" as such, it is mainly because of that development Spurs have lived at the level they have managed to in recent years rather than a right to win things, takes work for them to compete in the EPL in this day and age.
Each to their own.

I'm convinced.

I'd rather we won 4 domestic cups, than got to the CL final and lost it.

Spurs fans will feel exactly the same. And Levy, hence Jose.

I don’t think they would, certainly doesn’t seem to be the opinion from what I see on social media.

Grown men who have been following that club for 50 years were in tears on air, in the stadium, back in London. I honestly don’t think they’d have swapped that for their reserves beating Gillingham, Tranmere, Forest and Everton in a Carabao run.

The idea that a cup win could overshadow what Poch achieved with that squad in that CL run is absolute nonsense in my eyes. I could understand it from an elite club who splash the cash with an elite manager and a 26 man backroom squad like Pep has, but not for Spurs.

I don’t think they would, certainly doesn’t seem to be the opinion from what I see on social media.

Grown men who have been following that club for 50 years were in tears on air, in the stadium, back in London. I honestly don’t think they’d have swapped that for their reserves beating Gillingham, Tranmere, Forest and Everton in a Carabao run.

The idea that a cup win could overshadow what Poch achieved with that squad in that CL run is absolute nonsense in my eyes. I could understand it from an elite club who splash the cash with an elite manager and a 26 man backroom squad like Pep has, but not for Spurs.
Again, each to their own.

I think any form of trophy, is exactly what Spurs crave.

Again, each to their own.

I think any form of trophy, is exactly what Spurs crave.

I‘d compare it to Gerrard at Rangers.

What he’s done is remarkable, when you consider the state of the squad and club he inherited. He’s up against a mentally challenged team heavily outspending us (almost double) in wages and on transfers and they already had a much better squad.

He’s dragged us from third place in Scotland to level on points with the mankies, a cup final, consecutive seasons of European football and we’re now putting away the likes of Porto and Feyenoord with ease with a deep squad full of international footballers.

Is it all a failure if he doesn’t win a League Cup, given what he’s been up against? Success has many layers, it’s too simplistic to say cup equals good, no cup equals bad. That would suggest that the likes of Matt Le Tissier, Antonio Di Natale (zero major cups) and even our own Jermain Defoe (one league cup) haven’t been a success in their careers.

Mourinho was brought in to Spurs, simply to win trophies.

He's never, not won trophies at any club he has been at.

If it ends how it did at Chelsea or Utd, Levy and Spurs will not care one bit. They will have trophies and move on to the next manager.
That probably sums it right up.

They probably don't give a crap how it ends. They have built an elite set up, they now need to keep the momentum and trophy's will do that.

Nothing guaranteed with any appointment but Jose is about as close as you can get to buying a trophy while appointing a manager.

I‘d compare it to Gerrard at Rangers.

What he’s done is remarkable, when you consider the state of the squad and club he inherited. He’s up against a mentally challenged team heavily outspending us (almost double) in wages and on transfers and they already had a much better squad.

He’s dragged us from third place in Scotland to level on points with the mankies, a cup final, consecutive seasons of European football and we’re now putting away the likes of Porto and Feyenoord with ease with a deep squad full of international footballers.

Is it all a failure if he doesn’t win a League Cup, given what he’s been up against? Success has many layers, it’s too simplistic to say cup equals good, no cup equals bad. That would suggest that the likes of Matt Le Tissier, Antonio Di Natale (zero major cups) and even our own Jermain Defoe (one league cup) haven’t been a success in their careers.
Mate, Spurs and Levy want trophies.

It is that simple.

Unless the Spurs board back him financially, it would end up a poor decision to appoint him.

Only time will tell.

Mate, Spurs and Levy want trophies.

It is that simple.

Again, I’ve got to disagree.

Sitting back and watching his club get heavily outspent - even by the likes of Everton and Arsenal - suggests to me that it hasn’t been all about trophies for Levy.

And also, knowing how Levy operated - up until now anyway - the £40-60m that Spurs would have got from the CL would have meant a lot more than an FA or Carabao Cup.

He might have changed. He might now be happy with four years’ consecutive CL money and the big new stadium, but it absolutely hasn’t been all about trophies under Poch.

More alkie arses blabbering about an astonishing manager. They know more about running a club than him. STFU you clueless fkpigs and judge him after a few years. Now hurry to the pub and spout your genius comments.
Don’t hold back, say what you really think.

Again, I’ve got to disagree.

Sitting back and watching his club get heavily outspent - even by the likes of Everton and Arsenal - suggests to me that it hasn’t been all about trophies for Levy.

And also, knowing how Levy operated - up until now anyway - the £40-60m that Spurs would have got from the CL would have meant a lot more than an FA or Carabao Cup.

He might have changed. He might now be happy with four years’ consecutive CL money and the big new stadium, but it absolutely hasn’t been all about trophies under Poch.
I am not talking about Poch.

Levy loved what Poch did for Spurs. At that time, Poch was perfect. Top 4, CL money would have been the main intention for the stadium move. A trophy would simply, have been a bonus.

Now, Spurs want trophies. We are talking about today.

Hence, Jose.

Simple.

In my opinion.

Levy loved what Poch did for Spurs. At that time, Poch was perfect. Top 4, CL money would have been the main intention for the stadium move. a trophy would have been a bonus.

Hence, Jose.

Simple.

In my opinion.

More inclined to agree with that mate, I reckon that makes sense.

Only thing I would say for you to be absolutely spot on is that Levy now needs to open the wallet. The squad is already thin and there’s a good chance you could see between 3-6 big players off in the summer or January, with a couple of them on trees or massively reduced fee.

Levy loved what Poch did for Spurs. At that time, Poch was perfect. Top 4, CL money would have been the main intention for the stadium move. A trophy would simply, have been a bonus.

Hence, Jose.

Simple.

In my opinion.

If Mourinho falls out the top 4 but wins an FA or League Cup, he will be out on his arse.

The supposed glamour of the FA or League Cup is one that in reality most don't give a %^*& about now.

The League Cup is a competition that most likely won't even exist in a few years, the notion that is now the priority is fanciful at best.

More inclined to agree with that mate, I reckon that makes sense.

Only thing I would say for you to be absolutely spot on is that Levy now needs to open the wallet. The squad is already thin and there’s a good chance you could see between 3-6 big players off in the summer or January, with a couple of them on trees or massively reduced fee.
Transfers would have been absolutely, discussed.

Everyone knows Levy is tight (runs his club, superbly). Everyone knows Jose, spends.

You would imagine an agreement is in place. Whether it is adhered to, is a different matter.

But Jose has been appointed to deliver trophies. If he fails, they will move on. But I can not think on a better appointment, in terms of availability. And that includes, Poch.

No, brainer.

If Mourinho falls out the top 4 but wins an FA or League Cup, he will be out on his arse.

The supposed glamour of the FA or League Cup is one that in reality most don't give a %^*& about now.

The League Cup is a competition that most likely won't even exist in a few years, the notion that is now the priority is fanciful at best.
They are nowhere near, top 4. He will have a task on his hands getting them there this season.

Yet, he will still be in charge next season.

Time will tell how he does, mate.

They are nowhere near, top 4. He will have a task on his hands getting them there this season.

Yet, he will still be in charge next season.

Time will tell how he does, mate.

Chelsea will likely have a small slump for a month with a team so young, if they don’t then even more kudos to Lampard. Reckon that’s Jose’s best chance - being honest, I hadn’t even checked the EPL table for a few weeks, didn’t realise the gap between 4th and the rest.

Leicester with no European football will probably stay top four.

Good piece in the Independent about how everything Jose is supposed to have impressed Levy with as regards a new philosophy is exactly what he said to Utd and look how that turned out.

A good read that, leaves more questions than answers though.
All will be revealed after 4 or 5 games, it will be a new flowing quick attack style or same old same old

Chelsea will likely have a small slump for a month with a team so young, if they don’t then even more kudos to Lampard. Reckon that’s Jose’s best chance - being honest, I hadn’t even checked the EPL table for a few weeks, didn’t realise the gap between 4th and the rest.

Leicester with no European football will probably stay top four.
Agreed, mate.

And Leicester look real good, just now.

They had the luckiest run to the CL Final I have ever seen in my life.

Not taking anything away from them, it was a superb achievement but they had every single bit of luck going the whole way through the tournament.

The Spurs squad doesn't need massive surgery either. They have a very good squad, Mourinho likes many of the players already there. He tried to sign guys like Dier, Alderweireld, Rose and Vertonghen for Utd.

They probably only need 3 or 4 additions to what they have to take them to the next level and actually challenge for the title. If Pep goes in the summer, City will take a massive drip from that.

The Spurs squad doesn't need massive surgery either. They have a very good squad, Mourinho likes many of the players already there. He tried to sign guys like Dier, Alderweireld, Rose and Vertonghen for Utd.

They probably only need 3 or 4 additions to what they have to take them to the next level and actually challenge for the title. If Pep goes in the summer, City will take a massive drip from that.

I’d be shocked if they all stay, but I can see him getting a real tune out of Lamela.

Yeah Spurs just came within a ball hair of winning the CL. Something tells me a Caraboa cup win isn’t going to have Levy and the fans jumping for joy saying “job done”. That’s the competition countless teams sacrifice by fielding weakened sides, if the chairman and their fans value that over a European final then they’re a bit dim.

They’ve also finished second in recent times too so you’d definitely think they’d aim higher than the domestic cups. Similarly there’s no chance we’ll be calling this season a success if we win the LC final but lose both the league and SC.

The humble one?
Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho: "I am humble, humble enough to try and analysis my career - not just the last year, but the whole thing, the evolution, the problems and the solutions. Not to blame anyone else.
"It was a great thing. I went really deep with that analysis. A break was very positive for me. It was the first summer I did not work and I felt a little bit at a loss during that pre-season."
He added: "I was always humble, in my way. The problem is you didn't understand that."

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I like Mourinho and hope he does well

He has some very good players to work with and build for next season

They had the luckiest run to the CL Final I have ever seen in my life.

Not taking anything away from them, it was a superb achievement but they had every single bit of luck going the whole way through the tournament.
They played some very good teams last season in CL last season so how was it a lucky run?

EJ4qNteVUAA0d4e

They played some very good teams last season in CL last season so how was it a lucky run?

Where do you start?

1 point after 3 games in the group stage.

Lamela avoiding a red card for a stamp against Inter to then get subbed off for Eriksen who comes on to score the winner.

Go to Barca in the last game who play a 2nd string, needing a win to qualify and grab a late equaliser only to sneak through because Inter failed to beat PSV.

City in the quarters? Absolutely battered over 2 legs, scoring nearly every shot they hit the target with over the 2 games and VAR saving them with two horrendous decisions as well.

They got battered for 3/4 of the Ajax tie to somehow fluke a couple of late goals and get through.

The luck they carried on that run was unbelievable and papered over the cracks of a horrendous 2019 where they lost as many games as they won.

Where do you start?

1 point after 3 games in the group stage.

Lamela avoiding a red card for a stamp against Inter to then get subbed off for Eriksen who comes on to score the winner.

Go to Barca in the last game who play a 2nd string, needing a win to qualify and grab a late equaliser only to sneak through because Inter failed to beat PSV.

City in the quarters? Absolutely battered over 2 legs, scoring nearly every shot they hit the target with over the 2 games and VAR saving them with two horrendous decisions as well.

They got battered for 3/4 of the Ajax tie to somehow fluke a couple of late goals and get through.

The luck they carried on that run was unbelievable and papered over the cracks of a horrendous 2019 where they lost as many games as they won.
You can’t say the fluked the quarters and the semi finals fs they scored 3 goals in both away legs :))

I have a gut feeling that this will not be ending well for Jose. Spurs are not likely to reach the heights of last season and the fans will inevitably compare this season to last - and end up dissapointed. Some of their better players such as Eriksen have contracts expiring, and surely at some point arsenal and/or Man U will get their act together.

Hence, Jose.

Simple.

In my opinion.

Bit late to the party, but got to disagree with you.

You mention the stadium, as if it's been paid for already. The club are saddled with over half a billion pounds worth of debt mate, possibly more. That needs to be paid back, and much like Arsenal after the Emirates move, the top 4 will be their trophy.

Don't get me wrong, they'll want to win a trophy, any trophy, & it will be celebrated greatly.

But top 4 will be the most important thing for them just now. Think about it, if Spurs were struggling in the Champions League and knocked out the League Cup but were sitting 3rd in the league, do you think Poch would have been sacked?

Back