Mourinho - Making the Europa Conference 'special'.

Let’s be honest here. The draw opened up for us and several favourites fell along the way. We won’t be as fortunate every year. That’s why last week was such a precious chance to win it and why it’s so painful that we didn’t.
It was painful because we put the favourites out when we entered the competition.

Then we put the favourite out in the semi finals.

Let’s be honest here. The draw opened up for us and several favourites fell along the way. We won’t be as fortunate every year. That’s why last week was such a precious chance to win it and why it’s so painful that we didn’t.
Dortmund were the favourites, we knocked them out. Leipzig by the time the semis came around were the favourites, we knocked them out.

Even Mickey Mouse would turn his ears up at appearing in this rubbish. Roma even lost 6-1 earlier in it. Some teams failed in three European competitions this season which can’t be right.

after their run in the Europa League if I was a West Ham fan I would fancy a good crack at the Conference next season

If we need to take part in this competition it means a disastrous season or disastrous start to a season. Saying that, I’d rather win that than take a drubbing in the latter stages of the CL.

Teams like leicester turning noses up at this competition is fucking hilarious

Who the %^*& do they think they are?
I think that’s down to Brenda who had such a fantastic record, across the city, in the Champions League that he thinks he’s above this competition.

It's a trophy that I never want my club to be in, but if we end up in it, I would absolutely want us to win it.

Congratulations to Jose and Roma tonight.
I think Pellegrini of Roma had said that earlier in the season they saw it as a ‘joke cup’ but now looked at it as the biggest game of their season.

All depends on context and circumstance I would think.

Well. Yeah.

It is a European trophy but it's the Harry Ramsdens euro cup.

If you're in it you might as well get to win it but you really don't want to be there.
Its a replacement to the cup winners cup.

When we won the Cup Winners Cup it was Europe's second trophy like the Europa League is now.

Folk trying to downplay it are trying too hard.

Trying to talk down a european trophy is the realm of the tourist EPL fan

100%, always just makes me think of the Vauxhall Conference!

Even something like the Euro Challenge Cup would have been better.
Whoever thought that name up needs sacked, they need a name that at least gives the illusion of prestige. Uefa are doing nothing to enhance any of the competitions that aren't the champions league.

Shame UEFA themselves seemed determined to downplay the tournament by sticking the final in a 20k seater stadium in Albania. This the week after our own final was also played in a woefully inadequate stadium. Absolutely no reason why all European finals can't be played in minimum 50k+ capacity stadia.

Its a replacement to the cup winners cup.

When we won the Cup Winners Cup it was Europe's second trophy like the Europa League is now.

Folk trying to downplay it are trying too hard.

Trying to talk down a european trophy is the realm of the tourist EPL fan
It's understandable England don't take it seriously when the prize money for winning it (€5 million) is the same as what Watford got for finishing 19th in the league (£4.4 million) !

Will never understand football fans who sh*t on competitions, so weird.

The whole culture in recent years about the League and Scottish Cup from some and how "others see this league as a farmers league" who gives a f*ck TBH, do you support Rangers or not on that one.

I would be delighted if we won the Europa Conference if we were to ever end up in it

It's understandable England don't take it seriously when the prize money for winning it (€5 million) is the same as what Watford got for finishing 19th in the league (£4.4 million) !

Prize money isnt far off what we would have got for winning the Europa League, the €5m is the additional prize money for winning the tournament.

Yeah but it is still idiotic when your team has won next to nothing in your recent history that you turn your nose up at a major european trophy

If it was all to be based on financial gain then the promotion to the championship is worth more than the CL but its nothing like the achievement.

Well. Yeah.

If you're in it you might as well get to win it but you really don't want to be there.
Hey come on if the tims get to the final (no sniggering at the back) it will become the biggest tourney ever.

Will never understand football fans who sh*t on competitions, so weird.

The whole culture in recent years about the League and Scottish Cup from some and how "others see this league as a farmers league" who gives a f*ck TBH, do you support Rangers or not on that one.

I would be delighted if we won the Europa Conference if we were to ever end up in it
We would have the parties to end all parties if we won it

Leipzig and Dortmund - both CL group stage drop outs. Leipzig were in the CL R16 the previous season and SF the season prior.

Red Star Belgrade were and are Serbian League Champions. They've lost 1 league game in 2 seasons and topped the EL group this season.

The only "bye" if you could call it that would be Braga imo.

Well. Yeah.

It depends on your perspective. Teams such as Leicester might not want to be in it, but clubs like Motherwell most certainly do.

Shame UEFA themselves seemed determined to downplay the tournament by sticking the final in a 20k seater stadium in Albania. This the week after our own final was also played in a woefully inadequate stadium. Absolutely no reason why all European finals can't be played in minimum 50k+ capacity stadia.
CL finals should be played only in the huge stadia. London, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Munich, Rome, Berlin.
EL final should have a set minimum capacity of, say 50-55,000.
Conference final a minimum of say, 40-45,000.
Given the fact that huge amounts of tickets go to sponsors, hangers on, fatcats, etc, this would at least help with demand, and the spectacle itself.

It’s not a competition I can get excited about. I hope we’re never in it and if we are, I hope we prioritise the league and any other competitions we remain in that season over the conference league.

If we ever end up in it i will want us to take it mega seriously and try to get as far as we can in the competition

F.u.c.king wit?

We put out the tournament favourites twice (Dortmund and Leipzig)

"Draw opened up" fer fux sake.

The biggest problem with the competition is the name. Conference League in many people's minds brings an equation with the Vauxhall Conference. Surely they could have come up with a better name? I'd love to see the Cup-Winners Cup come back for instance.

It’s a major European trophy but can’t be compared to the CWC.

The name, from a UK perspective, has not helped since the launch but seeing the Roma / Mourinho celebrations will have raised it profile for sure in its first season.

It will grow in importance as each year passes.

Long term, the CL will become closed shop to clubs from small countries like ours.

Remember the scoffing when the Europa League was introduced as a replacement for the UEFA cup? If anything, the quality has increased because of the closed shop nature of the CL.
I prefer the Europa to the CL now. Have done for a couple of seasons. Maybe that’s because Rangers have been doing well and I’ve been following their progress etc. but there are plenty other marquee names in there as well.

To be honest I can see us wining this before one of the other two. It’s very sad, but perhaps this is our true level. :(
Why would that be our true level ? just because we lost a final in the tournament a level above ?

If we had been in that final last night against either of the sides, I honestly feel that we would have easily swept aside either side last night.

It’s not a competition I can get excited about. I hope we’re never in it and if we are, I hope we prioritise the league and any other competitions we remain in that season over the conference league.

You are really Jekyll and Hyde when it comes to Europe :D

Had they named it something other than Conference it may have carried more enthusiasm.

I'm sure the commentator said last night even the Roma players called it the pretend cup (or similar) earlier in the season.

The snobbery towards it from some is unreal. Supporters of clubs who haven't left a mark on european football in years or even qualify for it in the first place thinking they are above it is the kind of arrogance i hope never becomes the majority for us. I don't think the gap in quality between the europa and conference is massive either, five of the eight teams who were in the quarter-finals of the conference this season had made the quarter-finals or better of the champions or europa league in the last six years, hardly a tournament on nobodies.

Youve got to laugh at these English teams that dont rate it, Newcastles ,Villa, Everton , Tottenham etc. Won about 1 cup in 30 years.
Thank f"%& i dont support one of them.

Back