Mourinho: Manager being all powerful is over.

George Graham used to be contractually entitled to more money than the highest paid player.

In those days when the money was at a temperate level that prompted some form of control and authority.

Now the same wee dick who has played 18 minutes of senior football would be laughing at you whilst speeding out the car park in his Maserati on the phone to his agent to “find him a new challenge”

The next really big thing in football(of course it’s already in use to a degree and I’m glad we’re involved ourselves) will be personality profiling-what use is a £100mil player if they don’t give a fuc.k and take the piss out of you?

He's probably got a point, at top clubs anyway, the manager is becoming less of a one man show. The game is moving one and owners want a permanent team of people and a structure and plan to protect their investment in wages, facilities and players.

Not sure where that leaves managers, as so many of their jobs are increasingly being done by others.

He's right. Souness said much the same thing actually.

Players have all the power now, not the manager.

George Graham had the right idea, the manager should always earn more than the players but that ship sadly sailed a long time ago. The money in modern day football is obscene. My question would be where does it stop? how far away are we from the first million pound a week player?

George Graham had the right idea, the manager should always earn more than the players but that ship sadly sailed a long time ago. The money in modern day football is obscene. My question would be where does it stop? how far away are we from the first million pound a week player?
Too far gone to be rectified. Salary caps should have been introduced when things started getting mental in the 90s

His players downed tools and got him the sack, they’re supposed to be professional and play to the top of their ability every week, loss of form can happen, but the turnaround in Man U since Solksayer took over is indicative of the mindset of today’s Prima Donna footballers, they want all the glory with none of the responsibilities.
Jose didnt become a bad manager overnight and will return some club back to the top.

Messi after wages and bonuses and sponsors/endorsements ect probably makes well over £1m a week no bother

Purely on wages though it wont be long, id say youll see it within next 2 years

Too far gone to be rectified. Salary caps should have been introduced when things started getting mental in the 90s

I like to think of it in terms of a salary scale rather than a salary cap. The various leagues work out a sustainable and affordable salary scale for players depending on what division they play in. The league collects the money, as its their competition, and they pay the wages though the players sign for different clubs. This system would stop the big clubs from scooping up all the best players and would allow smaller teams to build competitive teams that could challenge for honours.

Killie's challenge will fizzle out just like Hearts did partly due to them selling players to clubs that can pay more money.

Its obvious that the current set up kills competition and no one wants to watch uncompetitive matches.

I've posted this so many times but the usual response is Im a "commie".

I can’t help but think that players nowadays have to much power. I have no real sympathy for him mind you. I enjoyed his early years but it soured for me with his attitude. Basically forced out at Chelsea and Man U.
Ranieri is another forced out but for me, that was a despicable act by the players after what he brought Leicester. Never liked them since.

wrgtc4.jpg

For a bloke earning $$$ he just looked utterly f.ucked off with his lot in life.

I can’t help but think that players nowadays have to much power. I have no real sympathy for him mind you. I enjoyed his early years but it soured for me with his attitude. Basically forced out at Chelsea and Man U.
Ranieri is another forced out but for me, that was a despicable act by the players after what he brought Leicester. Never liked them since.
I'm the same, maybe too "old school" for some folk but I really despair when I hear that multi million pound players have "downed tools" because their manager has upset the poor wee souls in some way.
It's downright unprofessional and disrespectful to their manager, their club and their fans.
Graeme Souness has said more or less exactly the same thing, he could never manage the prima donna footballers that "grace" our game these days!

His players downed tools and got him the sack, they’re supposed to be professional and play to the top of their ability every week, loss of form can happen, but the turnaround in Man U since Solksayer took over is indicative of the mindset of today’s Prima Donna footballers, they want all the glory with none of the responsibilities.
Jose didnt become a bad manager overnight and will return some club back to the top.
Correct, now close the thread.

I bet 95% of managers wish they could achieve what Mourinho has in the last few years despite the game apparently “passing him by”.

Football has changed rather than Jose. His style of management just doesn’t work at the top level any more.
Mourinho won the EPL with Chelsea in 2015 losing only 3 games, he was also voted manager of the year and won the league cup to.
In 2017 he won the league cup again with Man u and went on to win the Europa league to, he was the first manu manager to win a trophy in his debut season, he won 2, including a European tournament.

Football hasn't changed, some teams in the EPL have improved and Man U has the Ferguson factor to contend with, in the last two seasons any other manager would be lauded for what Mourinho has achieved, take a look at the guy at Spurs, made out to be some kind of guru and has won bugger all, in fact Spurs have stagnated under him, yet he's touted as being a great!

Mourinho's record alone should see him demand respect from the best players in the world, however his last group decided they didn't want him and downed tools, the Man U fans have been cheated by a group of selfish egotistical overpaid prima donnas who are not hungry for success, quite the opposite, they're happy to lose and let others shoulder the responsibility.

Mourinho will be back, I hope he takes a job with the likes of a Porto again and gets his cheeky grin back with the clever quotes to the media.

Mourinho won the EPL with Chelsea in 2015 losing only 3 games, he was also voted manager of the year and won the league cup to.
In 2017 he won the league cup again with Man u and went on to win the Europa league to, he was the first manu manager to win a trophy in his debut season, he won 2, including a European tournament.

Football hasn't changed, some teams in the EPL have improved and Man U has the Ferguson factor to contend with, in the last two seasons any other manager would be lauded for what Mourinho has achieved, take a look at the guy at Spurs, made out to be some kind of guru and has won bugger all, in fact Spurs have stagnated under him, yet he's touted as being a great!

Mourinho's record alone should see him demand respect from the best players in the world, however his last group decided they didn't want him and downed tools, the Man U fans have been cheated by a group of selfish egotistical overpaid prima donnas who are not hungry for success, quite the opposite, they're happy to lose and let others shoulder the responsibility.

Mourinho will be back, I hope he takes a job with the likes of a Porto again and gets his cheeky grin back with the clever quotes to the media.

I don't disagree with you, my point really is summarised in your third paragraph - the same thing happened at Chelsea too. I can't see the preponderance of those types of situations getting anything other than worse in the modern game, which cuts across the way that JM manages. I find that sad; I really like him.

Chelsea players did the same to him and Conte, now looks like their new manager is getting similar.

Brenda was certainly on a lot more than any of the filth players.

You can't even make an argument for salary caps, then pay the manager more so he has more authority, cos clubs like PSG and City will come along and pay the players millions into an account in Qatar/Dubai on top of their salary at their club.

Nothing has changed in football, the owners still hold the power, and always have done; Mourinho left not because he lost the dressing room, but because he lost the board room. There's a scene in The Damned United where Michael Sheen's Clough is told that the Chairman is the most powerful figure at the club; and whereas owners may sometimes designate new titles to their role these days, they still hold all the cards. Very high earning footballers make up tiny percentage of all footballers; perhaps Mourinho just didn't have it anymore. It happens.

They did, but at 2 clubs on the spin which suggests the fault wasn’t just with the players.

He was brilliant in his prime, but the all time greats move with the times and never dry up. I think his best option would be take a year or so out, visit some clubs around Europe and try to get some new ideas. I think he should take up a club outwith the elite, to try and repeat what he done previously with Porto. He can't really win if he goes to a top club where success is expected.

George Graham used to be contractually entitled to more money than the highest paid player.

In those days when the money was at a temperate level that prompted some form of control and authority.

Now the same wee dick who has played 18 minutes of senior football would be laughing at you whilst speeding out the car park in his Maserati on the phone to his agent to “find him a new challenge”

The next really big thing in football(of course it’s already in use to a degree and I’m glad we’re involved ourselves) will be personality profiling-what use is a £100mil player if they don’t give a fuc.k and take the piss out of you?

Thats why Ferguson was not happy with the wages they gave Rooney and demanded that he was the top earner. I don't see how someone in the squad should be better paid than the manager. It doesn't happen at any other level.

Manager get paid a pretty penny as well. The challenge in managing players has changed and their approach to managing them will have to change too.

Mourinho will be Lawwell's rabbit out the hat and it will backfire spectacularly.

I hope not, he'd be successful up here and his mind games would have FF going even more tonto with wild accusations of his hidden meanings than they do now with simpletons like Rodgers, Lennon and Tommy Wright (for example) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back