Mourinho win rate at Utd

gers1978

Just seen on Sky Sports News there he's now had 100 games in charge and his win rate is 62%. What's surprising is that it's the highest of any Man Utd manager, ever.

Just goes to show the improvement(financially) of the other clubs really. Surprised at that.

Ferguson's is just under 60% which is phenomenal when you consider the mess they were in when he arrived and that he struggled for 4 years to rebuild the squad.

Wonder what his win % would be between 1990 - 2013

Ferguson's is just under 60% which is phenomenal when you consider the mess they were in when he arrived and that he struggled for 4 years to rebuild the squad.

Wonder what his win % would be between 1990 - 2013

Excellent point

Flip side of the argument is Ferguson didn't have two clubs bankrolled by multi billionaires with a bottomless pit of money to compete against for large parts of his tenure.

Mourinho will be cursing Guardiola again because in a normal season Utd would be bang right in the title mix this season.

Flip side of the argument is Ferguson didn't have two clubs bankrolled by multi billionaires with a bottomless pit of money to compete against for large parts of his tenure.

Mourinho will be cursing Guardiola again because in a normal season Utd would be bang right in the title mix this season.

He faced Chelsea under Abramovich for 10 years and won 5 titles to their 3 in that period.

He faced Man City under Mansour for 5 years and won 3 titles to their 1 in that period.

At the end of last season Man City had only spent about £1m more than Man Utd on their squad.

He faced Chelsea under Abramovich for 10 years and won 5 titles to their 3 in that period.

He faced Man City under Mansour for 5 years and won 3 titles to their 1 in that period.

That kind of proves the point. He only won half of the titles available to him when Abramovich came to Chelsea and it took Chelsea 2 or 3 years to get up and running. They were being built from a position of weakness, same as City.

I'm not doubting Fergusons Genius or achievements at all but football has moved on a bit from his time now with the amount of money involved in it and how this is having an effect on the game.

Just to add something to the debate, let's not pretend Man Utd have only spent big money under Mourinho. They have been the most wealthy team of the last 30 or 40 years. Remember, the were breaking transfer records, or paying big fees way back to the likes of Bryan Robson, through to the likes of Gary Pallister, Neil Webb, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Juan Veron, Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney.

Last edited:
Just to add something to the debate, let's not pretend Man Utd have only spent big money under Mourinho. They have been the most wealthy team of the last 30 or 40 years. Remember, the were breaking transfer records, or paying big fees way back to the likes of Bryan Robson, through to the likes of Gary Pallister, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Juan Veron, Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney.
Van Gaal spent about £300m didn't he?

Mourinho’s Man U are painful to watch.

Comparing them to Ferguson’s Man U is an affront to the senses, eyesight being the most offended sense :)

Mourinho’s Man U are painful to watch.

Comparing them to Ferguson’s Man U is an affront to the senses, eyesight being the most offended sense :)
Spot on.I could have watched Fergies team for hours when they were on song.

That kind of proves the point. He only won half of the titles available to him when Abramovich came to Chelsea and it took Chelsea 2 or 3 years to get up and running. They were being built from a position of weakness, same as City.

I'm not doubting Fergusons Genius or achievements at all but football has moved on a bit from his time now with the amount of money involved in it and how this is having an effect on the game.
Man Utd aren't really being outspent by other clubs though.

Just to add something to the debate, let's not pretend Man Utd have only spent big money under Mourinho. They have been the most wealthy team of the last 30 or 40 years. Remember, the were breaking transfer records, or paying big fees way back to the likes of Bryan Robson, through to the likes of Gary Pallister, Neil Webb, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Juan Veron, Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney.
It’s a very good point. Yes the money today is astronomical but that’s purely due to the tv deals which in turn drive up sponsorship, it’s not like they are spending far more now in relation to other clubs compared with previous years, it’s just that under Fergie he really made the most of that advantage.

The money that's been spent on that squad; 62% shouldn't be an unreasonable expectation.

He's a top coach and he'll get their win rate closer to 70% in the next couple of seasons.

how can a team which signs Deschamps, Desailly, Vialli, Laudrup and Zola be in a position of weakness?, Chelsea were back on a par with the best before Abramovitch pitched up.

Ferguson's last title win with a squad barely worthy of the top six, should go down as one of the greatest achievements by any manager in the top division.

Im not so sure about that. They still had some top players, admittedly, some were past their best, but this was a squad that still had De Gea, Vidic, Rio, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher, Nani, Kagawa, Berbatov, Rooney, Chicharito, Welbeck, and of course the main man Van Persie.

It's hardly a poverty team when you see some of those names.

how can a team which signs Deschamps, Desailly, Vialli, Laudrup and Zola be in a position of weakness?, Chelsea were back on a par with the best before Abramovitch pitched up.

They were a good team, but they weren't a great team. The players you mention were all at the back end of their career bar Zola arguably. The talk was they were in financial bother as well, & we're close to having to sell John Terry to raise money. The fact they went out and bought a dozen new first team players that summer kind of tells you that.

They were a good team, but they weren't a great team. The players you mention were all at the back end of their career bar Zola arguably. The talk was they were in financial bother as well, & we're close to having to sell John Terry to raise money. The fact they went out and bought a dozen new first team players that summer kind of tells you that.
they won FA Cups and the ECWC, not exactly struggling were they?

Im not so sure about that. They still had some top players, admittedly, some were past their best, but this was a squad that still had De Gea, Vidic, Rio, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher, Nani, Kagawa, Berbatov, Rooney, Chicharito, Welbeck, and of course the main man Van Persie.

It's hardly a poverty team when you see some of those names.

If they hadn't signed R v P, I think that Arsenal would've cruised it that season.

Ferguson's last title win with a squad barely worthy of the top six, should go down as one of the greatest achievements by any manager in the top division.

Which also meant he left behind a team nowhere near good enough once they had a mere mortal for a manager.

they won FA Cups and the ECWC, not exactly struggling were they?

Like i say, they were a good team, but not a great team, and there financial issues were just about coming to a head. They had 'mortgaged' the following seasons TV money already mid season, they were about to default on a significant loan payment of £18M, and they owed millions to the Mathew Harding estate. They couldn't afford to pay Di Matteo his compensation fee of £1.5M because he had to retire through injury.

Birch confirmed that there were other obligations that had put Chelsea in financial difficulty. He was working to refinance the debts to delay repayment for 12 months, by which time the lucratively remunerated Marcel Desailly, Gianfranco Zola, Emmanuel Petit and Winston Bogarde would have been removed from the wage bill. It meant that Chelsea's period of extravagance, mostly funded by debt, had come to a close.

Last edited:
Between him and Ferguson the difference for me is Ferguson made United Dominant with a squad of above average players topped up with top class , Mourinho needs a squad of top class to challenge, although I don't think Ferguson came up against anything Like City are just now

Between him and Ferguson the difference for me is Ferguson made United Dominant with a squad of above average players topped up with top class , Mourinho needs a squad of top class to challenge, although I don't think Ferguson came up against anything Like City are just now

Mourinho won the CL twice within a few seasons with teams who had no right to win it. Genuine miraculous achievements.

Ferguson only had 2 CL wins in 20 years at arguably the biggest and richest club in the world. He had unbelievable luck with his two wins as well with two injury time goals against Bayern and John Terry slipping when trying to hit a penalty in the shootout against Chelsea.

Mourinho won the CL twice within a few seasons with teams who had no right to win it. Genuine miraculous achievements.

Ferguson only had 2 CL wins in 20 years at arguably the biggest and richest club in the world. He had unbelievable luck with his two wins as well with two injury time goals against Bayern and John Terry slipping when trying to hit a penalty in the shootout against Chelsea.

To be fair Mourinho had unbelievable luck with Porto, look at the draw and the teams they had to face, the wrongly disallowed goal that would have sent Ferguson’s United through and Porto crashing out. It’s not as though they were a giant slaying CL winning side.

I should maybe have added IMO between his porto and leaving Inter days he was untouchable.

And folk who say he "parks the bus", his first season at chelsea was some of the most entertaining in PL history for me, they were excellent, fast, passed , scored, and fought it was excellent to watch, so id agree with your point re Porto and Inter CL wins , HOWEVER i would say winning the cups are easier than a league, and If it was Mourinho vs Guardiola in the CL this year Id fancy United to win it, but over the course of the season Guardiola and city would and will win the league

To be fair Mourinho had unbelievable luck with Porto, look at the draw and the teams they had to face, the wrongly disallowed goal that would have sent Ferguson’s United through and Porto crashing out. It’s not as though they were a giant slaying CL winning side.

Fergie had plenty of luck over the course of premiership seasons, including some goals way past when the game should have ended, and im sure at one point no team had won a penalty at Old Trafford for near on 8 seasons :D

Fergie had plenty of luck over the course of premiership seasons, including some goals way past when the game should have ended, and im sure at one point no team had won a penalty at Old Trafford for near on 8 seasons :D

Oh he did. It’s just Mourinho had a lot of luck too. I wouldn’t say his Inter side had no business winning the CL either, that side was absolutely bursting with world class talent, unless I’ve completely missed something.

I don’t know if I ever saw Fergie’s United side get a challenging CL group, they always seemed to be drawn against the worst sides in it haha.

[

Ferguson built 3 different title winning squads over a number of years. It's something I don't think he gets near enough credit for. Mourinho burns out after a couple of years at a club, Wenger hasn't won in 14 years but Ferguson consistently refreshed and retuned his squad. To win his first in 1993 and his last 20 years later is phenomenal.

Core 1 - Schmeichel, Parker, Pallister, Bruce, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Ince, Hughes, Cantona, Keane, McClair, Sharpe etc

Core 2 - G Neville, P Neville, Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Solskjaer, Johnsen, Yorke, Cole, Sheringham, Berg, Silvestre

Core 3 - van der Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Rooney, Fletcher, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson, Smalling etc.

Last edited:
Back