Moving the ball quickly

Glasgow Rangers (Sco)

We can’t do it anymore, and it’s why we have struggled in Europe and today.

The two full backs are the main culprits …… Tav must have taken at least 3 touches every time he had the ball today.

Questions need to asked about what Roofe is contributing now IMO.

Like Itten, Jack Simpson doesn’t have the aggression or belief to be a Rangers player

Reactions: WBD
When Aribo playes on the right Tav turns infield every time, never goes on the outside of the defender.

Agree that we are too slow to pass the ball, and too slow when the ball is passed.

Too often the ball is passed behind a player instead of to his feet or ahead of him.

On the rare occasion the ball is passed into space no one is prepared to run at it and no one chases it down.

A very frustrating game today. Scunnered.

Lack of quality & creativity in midfield is telling and should have been addressed in the window

We have far too many players who actively slow the game down when there’s a chance to break quickly. Kamara and Davis both do it.

Our back line are unbelievably pedestrian when the ball is at their feet with time and invite trouble continually. It got us in the shit today.

I’m fcking fuming with that result. We played nice football but at 60% intensity and a game we could’ve run up a cricket score against a dire Motherwell side ends up gifting them an equaliser and a chance to just run the clock down by feigning injuries every time they touched the ball.

Utterly self destructive today and naive as fck.

Agreed. Slow and ponderous. When we do quicken it up we look dangerous but resort back to the conservative play soon after. Clearly a tactic but it’s like we are waiting for teams to make a mistake instead of forcing the issue.

We can’t do it anymore, and it’s why we have struggled in Europe and today.

The two full backs are the main culprits …… Tav must have taken at least 3 touches every time he had the ball today.

Questions need to asked about what Roofe is contributing now IMO.

Like Itten, Jack Simpson doesn’t have the aggression or belief to be a Rangers player
Game of opinions. I thought Roofe (soar from that sticking miss) was excellent. Great link up, all over the pitch, defending etc.

First half I thought we were excellent with the ball.

Second half was a disgrace
Second half we played like the game was already won. The way motherwell threw themselves about was a riddy. Im sure they done similar last season to get a draw out of us

No fullbacks/wingers getting to the bylines or skinning full backs 1 on 1 is killing us. Puts a lot of pressure on the team to find another way to make chances. Which - crossing the ball into 1 CF marked by 2 CBs is working out around 1 goal per 70+ crosses.

The team is severely lacking in confidence and it's very telling. Players taking too many touches, not playing forward passes, not shooting when they can etc.

We've yet to turn up so far this season, only saving grace so far is we have picked up points and the other mob are absolutely rotten. We really need to win the rest of the games going into the International break and work hard during that time.

On another note wat did arfield bring when he came on

He should have been sold or left on a free transfer in the summer

First half was more like it but second half was dreadful!

What are we doing in training?? Playing slow passive football is playing right into the “everyone behind the ball” scottish sides.

I’d have Roofe starting every week and, especially in a game like today’s, not sub him. He remains the only player with genuine goal scoring threat and quality. Remember, he’s our top scorer this season as well.

When Aribo playes on the right Tav turns infield every time, never goes on the outside of the defender.

Said similar in another thread. Both fullbacks basically have no one directly ahead of them, therefore it's easier for the opposition to narrow the pitch and force them inside/backwards.

Slow and ponderous.

Thing is when we play the high tempo and quick pace we often seen last year, not only do we all enjoy the game more and helps with the atmosphere. If it goes Pete Tong you don't actually feel like moaning(too much)

The players had to feel the fan frustration boiling over onto the pitch but that wasn't even enough to energise the performance. That's worrying.
My telly was talking back to me because I was raging mad at the lack of passion on the pitch, on Flag day. One point, so what, overall we've been shite.

In the first half we were fast and fluid. Second half we dropped right out of it after about 5 mins after restart.

The team is severely lacking in confidence and it's very telling. Players taking too many touches, not playing forward passes, not shooting when they can etc.
The concern for me is that the training ground doesn’t seem to be ironing out any problems or exploring new ways to win.

Gerrard and Beale obviously see what we’re doing wrong given the amount of time modern football clubs spend on analytics, yet come the next game it’s exactly the same ponderous, pedestrian football.

Our movement off the ball has been a huge factor to our game in the past, but it hasn't been as good so far this season; we create openings, and give defences a lot to think about when we do that. I have doubts about Wright, and whether he can elevate his game to our level, but he deserves a chance for us to find out if the Manager believes he can do that, but with Aribo in midfield, and Kent and Hagi not playing the issue of movement and not being nuanced in our play will make us predictable to defences; in that second half we were so predictable.

We all know it's not what we're capable of, but i'm confident that will return. And despite it all we're still top of the league. We will pull clear once the team gets settled. The yahoos have been exposed yet again. Still not a single win on the road in any competition since February.

Frustrating. Always seems to be an extra pass at the moment. One in the second half where Wright picked up the ball and could have went straight out to Tav, but took the easy ball to Goldson. Who then played out to Tav while any momentum had gone.

I felt did play well first half but that was despite each and every player more often than not taking extra touches (albeit Roofe did try several 1 touch n move situations).
We are making the wrong choices all over the park at times, defenders trying g to play out of trouble or passing to players who are in difficult circumstances.
Why?
I honestly don't know but, until players start changing g this attitude then we will see results like today.
Would more expansive play give the opposition more chances?
On paper, yes, if they are of the same or better quality than us but, when they are not then the quicker 1 touch football tends to be the difference against poorer opposition who simply can't cope with that type of play.
I do feel in general we can be too negative at times in our approach & with players having been missing via injury, covid or suspension since the start of the season it looks like not getting a settled team on the park is hurting us as subconsciously players are of the attitude what if I make a mistake instead of the positive of what if I create.
The way we are playing just now also has to be coached into them as well though or our management team wouldn't sit n watch it unfold like that surely?

This has been our problem for a few seasons (majority of last season being the exception of course)

even against Lyon we had a 2 v 2 counter attack. Instead of attacking the goal we slowed it down, went backwards and shortly after the ball was in our net

so frustrating to watch as the players are more than capable of much better

On another note wat did arfield bring when he came on

He should have been sold or left on a free transfer in the summer
I’ve changed my mind about Arfield I said a few weeks ago should never start another game for Rangers and should only be used as a sub. Not even good enough for that now done nothing but foul.

Back