Moyes calls to scrap League Cup and have a British Cup

A British Cup would be great PR for us and bringing Britain together. That's why it'll be rejected out of hand by both football authorities up here, and especially the Scottish media.

i think it would be brilliant and it would bring more cash into the coffers us against any of them bigger teams down there holds no fear for me

Man City v St Mirren or Liverpool v Ross County would be must watch television in England...

Or is it just the 2 Scottish clubs?
Arbroath’s record wouldn’t last 90 minutes.
You’d need a Seville calculator to keep track of the score.

I like the idea of this. It means we can showcase our players worth when we're potentially beating the likes of Everton who pay through the nose for their players.

When you have Jack, Aribo, Tav etc showing some of these teams up it proves our players are in the £10s of millions and if the English teams want them then they have to pay the price, no more cherrypicking for peanuts.

Would be good income for the smaller Scottish sides if they draw away to a bigger team.

It could even be the catalyst to us joining the English pyramid.

Would absolutely love a British cup! Trips would be superb and the revenue would be far better for us never mind the exposure it would give us

Would love it if there was a community shield type match at the start of the season. Scottish league winners vs English league winners. One year at Wembley, one year at hampdump. And so on...

would be a real money spinner if it was say Liverpool/Rangers or Rangers/Man City Etc.
We all know the bears would travel and the English would travel up here too.

a curtain raiser for the season for both countries.
One thing is for absolute certain, the SFA would make a total james hunt of organising it, that’s for damn sure!!!

Just did a quick wiki search, for example, 1886/87 season, Rangers played in both the Scottish and English (FA) cups, as did other Scottish teams. The English (FA) cup also hosted Irish and Welsh teams. Precedent has already been set having British and Irish teams in the FA cup, would just require an agreement between the respective FAs to re-implement .

I wouldn’t completely do away with the league cup but I would like to see some sort of Britain wide competition introduced.

Can’t see the English being bothered about it though. They hardly care about their own cup as it is.

Maybe there would be an appetite for a battle of Britain style Cup Winner’s Cup.

Scottish Cup Winner v FA Cup Winner at the start of the season.

I’m the same would love like a British cup that would involve England Scotland wales and northern Irish teams. Top 2 teams from each country qualifies each year and have an open draw

Let's make this happen!
Im pretty sure they would get a tanning at most places.The average football LAD is a patriotic man.I can't see them allowing a load of peed up IRA cheerleaders to sing ditties abusing them ,their country and their Monarch.

Does the English league cup not provide a Europa league spot for the winners ??

If so then I can't see the middle of the table type teams in England voting for scrapping it.

I’m the same would love like a British cup that would involve England Scotland wales and northern Irish teams. Top 2 teams from each country qualifies each year and have an open draw

It would be great as a pre-arranged annual tournament providing competitive matches in pre-season.

I would like to see this, it could be the start of a bigger move !

I’ve been wanting this for years. I didn’t know the EFL cup winners only get around £100k though so it’s not exactly going to be lucrative.

Im pretty sure they would get a tanning at most places.The average football LAD is a patriotic man.I can't see them allowing a load of peed up IRA cheerleaders to sing ditties abusing them ,their country and their Monarch.
Totally agree mate.

Reactions: jtc
A British Cup would be great PR for us and bringing Britain together. That's why it'll be rejected out of hand by both football authorities up here, and especially the Scottish media.
The idea is a good one but I cant see past a load of trouble with the Glitter brigade.Rangers would have a love in at a fair few places.

Have the 14 teams of our top league qualify for it, at same stage as championship/epl teams join. Probably the third round of 8

There is no way Nippy would allow this to happen. It will not even make the agenda of the SFL. The government would threaten to divert money away from the game. Our footballing office bearers are sympathetic to Nationalism anyway.

Reactions: jtc
Former Celtic player Moyes said: “Folk might shoot it down but I think the opportunity to introduce the Scottish teams would give it a chance.

“Maybe one of the TV companies — if you’re calling it the British Cup — might be a bit more interested and it might bring in a bit more money.

“I don’t think that down here the clubs like Celtic and Rangers are given enough credit for the size of their football clubs

“I would argue there are only maybe two clubs in England bigger than either of them.

“We’ve just come out of one of the worst periods of Brexit. Why can we not actually bring Britain together and have a British Cup instead of a League Cup?

“I think what you might do is bring bigger crowds, certainly from Scotland.”

This always SOUNDS like a good idea but the actual practicalities of it are very difficult.

Do you have a qualifying round to gain entry for the last 16 - in which case it's essentially the same old League Cup?

Does anyone think that ICT vs. Exeter is going to pull a big crowd in Inverness on a Tuesday night?

What happens when all the Scottish teams get papped out by the English ones and it becomes a de facto English League Cup again?

The only real answer is to invite Rangers and Celtic and ignore the rest. When people talk about introducing a British Cup, that's what they really mean. They don't mean the rest of the shite up here that no one is interested in.

Former Celtic player Moyes said: “Folk might shoot it down but I think the opportunity to introduce the Scottish teams would give it a chance.

“Maybe one of the TV companies — if you’re calling it the British Cup — might be a bit more interested and it might bring in a bit more money.

“I don’t think that down here the clubs like Celtic and Rangers are given enough credit for the size of their football clubs

“I would argue there are only maybe two clubs in England bigger than either of them.

“We’ve just come out of one of the worst periods of Brexit. Why can we not actually bring Britain together and have a British Cup instead of a League Cup?

“I think what you might do is bring bigger crowds, certainly from Scotland.”
The English clubs play there reserves for the English cup can you imagine what level they would play for this no thanks

Nothing wrong with freshening up tournaments every now and then. Has happened in the past and should happen again. Folk get bored with the same thing year in year out. If it doesn’t work you just scrap it and go back to the norm

Does the English league cup not provide a Europa league spot for the winners ??

If so then I can't see the middle of the table type teams in England voting for scrapping it.
it does, but only if the winners haven't qualified for Europe via FA cup or champions league spot. They scrapped runners-up of FA cup qualifying for Europa league if FA cup winners already qualified for champions league.

Yes from me...straight draw all the way through,no seeds,no sections,just an old fashioned cup competition.

I like the idea of this. Always said that integration of the leagues in Scotland and England would do more to stop the snp than anything else.

I'm all for a British cup. I'd love to see it, but, the English teams dont need it. Why would they want it? The TV companies are the only ones who would make this happen.

I wouldn’t completely do away with the league cup but I would like to see some sort of Britain wide competition introduced.

Can’t see the English being bothered about it though. They hardly care about their own cup as it is.

Maybe there would be an appetite for a battle of Britain style Cup Winner’s Cup.

Scottish Cup Winner v FA Cup Winner at the start of the season.
Community shield is their curtain raiser.

Back