Mr Gerrard and Mr Allen

Shocking lack of ambition on this thread!

Our first priority is to win the league, but after that we don't just chuck it. We then need to push on and ensure that it's not a flash in the pan, and we get back to winning levels pre-2012.

Regardless of contract length, if Liverpool job becomes available he'll be away but we should be looking to get him tied down long-term and also having a proper succession plan for when he does leave.

He’s only one year into a four year deal, that’s long enough just now. If and when he wins the league, which I firmly believe he will, then that’s when we sit down and talk about contract extensions.

How does he force somebody with a contract to take less or nothing?

No idea mate! That’s his job.

He’s managed to get players to come to the club for less of a wage packet - so it can be done.

Edit:
This issue goes on beyond Allen tbf. We are historically shocking at moving run of the mill players on.

However, this is one of the reasons we’ve adopted the DoF route. So we’ll wait and see what results Allen can produce.

Does anyone know what deal Steve and Mark are on ?
I don’t want to jump the gun, but I think we have a real chance this season and wonder if it would be worth increasing both their contracts. Look at the situation with Lampard getting the Chelsea job , he didn’t even get Derby promoted . If we win the league this season I fully expect Gerrard to get offered a job down there that he can’t refuse.
I believe that both these guys have turned our club upside down in a positive way , up the contracts now and reap the benefits later

I am sure Mr King and the board will gladly jump at this suggestion.Not!
I understand your reasoning but remember so far …we have won nothing. Yet!

I am not saying he will go only that if he wins a league in the next two years and does leave there will be no ill feeling.

I agree, but I don’t think it necessarily follows that when Liverpool come to replace Klopp they’ll turn to Gerrard, even if he has won the SPFL with us by then.

We get that he’s the prodigal son and a return to Anfield as manager is his overriding desire, but should Liverpool win the Premiership under Klopp I doubt they’ll be in any great rush to ditch him for our man.

And it could be that having completed their rehabilitation as England and indeed Europe’s premier club that they will want the very best on offer to ensure they stay there.

Remember, despite an historic run of success at the San Giro, the best EPL gig Rodgers could get was Leicester City.

If Gerrard wins the Scottish title with us next season his new goal will be to take us into the CL.

In short, I don’t see him going anywhere until the end of his contract at least, but it shouldn’t really need stressing - he hasn’t won anything yet.

No idea mate! That’s his job.

He’s managed to get players to come to the club for less of a wage packet - so it can be done.
Getting the right players for as little as possible and avoiding as many releases as possible is him earning his corn imo. Unfortunately we have a lot of deadwood left who’ll either cling on or hopefully want to play their way as far back upwards in their short careers as possible and will take a step down to do that.

He lives for the history the tradition and the values.....that’s why he never left Liverpool. He feels that same thread running through our club and support....he lives for that feeling!!!!

He’s only one year into a four year deal, that’s long enough just now. If and when he wins the league, which I firmly believe he will, then that’s when we sit down and talk about contract extensions.

It's not urgent but I think he's done enough already to be rewarded with a new contract already.

Getting the right players for as little as possible and avoiding as many releases as possible is him earning his corn imo. Unfortunately we have a lot of deadwood left who’ll either cling on or hopefully want to play their way as far back upwards in their short careers as possible and will take a step down to do that.

Some of the ones we’re allegedly trying to get shot of were brought in under his watch.

Lafferty, Grezda, Dorrans (perhaps not under him?).

He’s done reasonably well at recruitment. We’re lagging behind in the department of moving players on imo.... whether that’s selling a decent player for top dollar or moving on run of the mill players for a reasonable fee. This is the hard part of his job but it’s an area that we must strive to improve at.

When we win the league, Gerrard will be a legend imo n will stay for the longtime. No job down south will interest him apart from the Liverpool n imo Klopp aint going anywhere.
Just talking bout Gerrard tingles ma veiny drumstick :p:))

All I hope is we have a blueprint to work to now and we try to replace the talent we have with similar or better people. I’d be pretty pissed off if we had something that worked only for it to be ripped up and started again by someone new. That was the whole idea of the DOF and manager system we have I thought. Allen is probably our key man and if he goes I’d hope he is involved in finding a suitable replacement

Gerrard is worth c£90m, he’s not here for money.

He’s here because he fancies being Liverpool
Manager one day. The adulation he’ll get if he wins the league with us, especially this season, could surpass that of when he won the CL as a player, although that was with ‘his’ club.

A good run the CL, he’s in with a shout of the Liverpool job. Who knows, maybe he sees a lot of similarities between Rangers and Liverpool.

One thing that must be difficult is that his family are still down south.

That will indeed remain a major consideration !

Not pretending to.be in the know, was at a nice restaurant at the weekend and got speaking to the manager who is a scouser who knows my other halfs parents as they have their own business, anyway he started talking about rangers and gerrard without me making any indication I am a bear. He reckons gerrard will be here for a while so hopefully he is spot on. As pointed out earlier though if he delivers 55 and leaves fair enough but I dont see it. He will stay for a crack at champions league imo

To all those saying he's won nothing yet, he seems to have won over the Rangers supporters, and we're a very very fickle bunch.
He's got timmy shiting himself. More than can be said for Ally, Pedro and the breadman, who were regarded as a joke by the bheasts.
I dont think he leaves for the epl unless to Liverpool, so not for ayear or two yet. England manager? possibly, but cant see Southgate going for another 3 years. A big euro club would be our biggest threat. Esrecially Italy.
He's here for 55. And it's coming this year.

I don’t want to jump the gun, but I think we have a real chance this season and wonder if it would be worth increasing both their contracts. Look at the situation with Lampard getting the Chelsea job , he didn’t even get Derby promoted . If we win the league this season I fully expect Gerrard to get offered a job down there that he can’t refuse.
I believe that both these guys have turned our club upside down in a positive way , up the contracts now and reap the benefits later
Speaking to a Liverpool fan on holiday and he reckons the only way Gerrard will leave is for Liverpool, he wouldn’t be interested in money and according to him there’s no way he would leave for a mid table premier league team.

He rejected a move to Real Madrid and also Chelsea who were offering him more than what he was on at Liverpool.

He’s a man of his word and I fully believe he will at least see out his contract here

Some of the ones we’re allegedly trying to get shot of were brought in under his watch.

Lafferty, Grezda, Dorrans (perhaps not under him?).

He’s done reasonably well at recruitment. We’re lagging behind in the department of moving players on imo.... whether that’s selling a decent player for top dollar or moving on run of the mill players for a reasonable fee. This is the hard part of his job but it’s an area that we must strive to improve at.
Every club/team will have players who don’t fit for whatever reason although it’s down to him to minimise that. The timing of him starting in his role with the manager change was unfortunate. He would need time to get a handle on his role and what the team/club was all about anyway but he had a whole department to set up too. The signings under him could have been better or a few avoided but there were circumstances that meant it wasn’t as straight forward as it could’ve been.

I agree with the OP. I don’t think Gerrard would chase the money but in the event a dream job for him comes up, if we increase his contract we would get more money if he does go. Look how much the scum got when Brenda left! Doesn’t do any harm to plan for every future eventuality.

Personally I reckon if Gerrard wins us the league he will stay on and take us into the Champions League.

He will want to finish his project here. I don't think there are many jobs he would leave Rangers for - there is no point in moving to a mid table Premiership club - you will win nothing.

My prediction is he will want to get to the champions league stages with us as that will be a springboard for him to be able to chose really top clubs.
He will want Liverpool but if the job is not available he may even go overseas for a year or two to learn more about European football before heading back to his beloved Anfield.

Gerrard is worth like 100 million, the money isn’t super important to him. He’d only leave rn if Liverpool offered him a job

I think what the OP was getting at was protecting ourselves because when someone comes to take him it’s going to have to be a bumper payout if he’s on more money

Slow down....we've no won anything yet. Christ a couple of friendly wins and we're gonna offer new bumper deals. Whoa cowboy whoa...
Exactly, the signs are good but let's win something next season before we get carried away,win the league and we can all get carried away.

If SG wins the league then leaves I will be inconsolable

Not at all. If he wins the league then he'll depart us as a Rangers legend.

We've seen first hand over the last 10 years that nobody should be valued more than the club. If he brings back the glory days then he'll go with goodwill and best wishes. We'd recover from it, of course we will - we've been in worse positions.

I can see Gerrard staying until Liverpool come a calling either as manager or more likely Klopp’s number 2 which is more likely.

If he was to win the league here then it's fair he may look at it as a 'job done'. If Klopp has no plans to go anywhere, i could see Gerrard give himself a test in Europe whilst he waits for the Liverpool job to open up for him.

I do not see him work for any other English club than Liverpool.

Not at all. If he wins the league then he'll depart us as a Rangers legend.

We've seen first hand over the last 10 years that nobody should be valued more than the club. If he brings back the glory days then he'll go with goodwill and best wishes. We'd recover from it, of course we will - we've been in worse positions.
Thats part of Mark Allen's remit to plan ahead and I'm sure when the time comes he will have a list of candidates ready to go but for now let's just enjoy having a footballing icon like Gerrard as our manager especially after having a baldy stock market trader and a Spanish bullfighter as our last two

Last edited:

only job i think he can't refuse is liverpool

It certainly would be. I reckon it would likely be the same folk peppered across both threads.

Football fans do get carried away, fans of all teams id guess its the same with other sports i watch quite a bit of rugby league and its exactly same gonna win the league 1 week next sack the lot of them. Forums are like that.

Marseille was a good performance but it was a friendly they didnt seem to care about.

You would have some posts on the Warbuton threads too im sure having a wee dig at the support, same as every thread on here.:)

I’m proud that he is our manager and both he and Mark Allen make a good team. His professionalism is apparent and he seems like a good safe pair of hands, but he has to start winning.

Once he does and he will restore our pride and place in world football then all bets are off and I rather suspect he will go. At that point I’d kiss his boaby and wish he and his family all the very best should they desire to leave.

As long as Klopp stays at Liverpool we will be ok as can't see Gerrard wanting any other job down there.

Haven't read the whole thread but I completely agree with this. SG seems to be a bit of a throwback to more honest and committed times and although money I'm sure is important to him it isn't the be all and end all. Remember he stayed at Liverpool when he could easily have moved particularly to Chelsea but I'm sure probably any top club in the world for megabucks. I really can't see him manage any other team in Britain other than Liverpool, his own team, and that is worthy of complete respect. He has the chance to take The Rangers back to the top in Scottish football and become a credible presence in Europe and by doing so his own managerial stock will rise accordingly. That would ensure the powers that be at Liverpool are aware that they would be not only getting a club legend back but also one that is a proven, tried and trusted manager with another top club with a European pedigree.

Shocking lack of ambition on this thread!

Our first priority is to win the league, but after that we don't just chuck it. We then need to push on and ensure that it's not a flash in the pan, and we get back to winning levels pre-2012.

Regardless of contract length, if Liverpool job becomes available he'll be away but we should be looking to get him tied down long-term and also having a proper succession plan for when he does leave.
This is exactly my point , he will walk if Liverpool come calling , but let’s make them pay when/if that happens. I believe he will stay for a couple of seasons yet. We need to tie him down though

Haven't read the whole thread but I completely agree with this. SG seems to be a bit of a throwback to more honest and committed times and although money I'm sure is important to him it isn't the be all and end all. Remember he stayed at Liverpool when he could easily have moved particularly to Chelsea but I'm sure probably any top club in the world for megabucks. I really can't see him manage any other team in Britain other than Liverpool, his own team, and that is worthy of complete respect. He has the chance to take The Rangers back to the top in Scottish football and become a credible presence in Europe and by doing so his own managerial stock will rise accordingly. That would ensure the powers that be at Liverpool are aware that they would be not only getting a club legend back but also one that is a proven, tried and trusted manager with another top club with a European pedigree.
Absolutely and we’d have 10 million in the bank , we need to wake up financially

I think people are underestimating how much our club and this job has got under SG's skin.

He won't leave for a middle of the road club imo, it will have to be something really tempting for him to go.

He's already went on record saying he won't be a manager with lots of clubs on his CV, so i don't see why he would be in a rush to leave.

I don't quite get the whole Mark Allen thing to be honest and a lot of that is down to being unsure who is responsible for what-SG clearly has contacts that have delivered players MA would not have had access to.

If we go back to Grezda-who pulled that one out of the hat and how can a team arrive at deciding a guy out for months was what we needed?

Stevie G will have a career plan-I think he's shown enough in building a team to suggest he will manage for a while-where he lacks at the moment is in the tactics and ability to change a game-that may come over time. I doubt he'll be here much longer than the terms of his contract and there might just might be an argument this will be his final season unless it is very a closely lost title. If he wins it then he might get an offer he likes and if he doesn't make a decent fist of it having brought in the number of players he has then I would think there would be calls for him to go.

The Stevie G plan was to my mind the requirement of stopping 10IAR and giving him an excellent platform to launch his management career....

Football fans do get carried away, fans of all teams id guess its the same with other sports i watch quite a bit of rugby league and its exactly same gonna win the league 1 week next sack the lot of them. Forums are like that.

Marseille was a good performance but it was a friendly they didnt seem to care about.

You would have some posts on the Warbuton threads too im sure having a wee dig at the support, same as every thread on here.:)

Despite you repeating this continually it's not true. But I suppose if you tell yourself something often enough then, in your mind, it becomes fact. :)

I don't think Mark Allan receives the credit he deserves as his work is out of sight. Everything about Rangers feels good. Watched an impressive interview with Amy McDonald about the women's team and I sensed that the plan is to dominate every aspect of Scottish football.

I think gerrard is more concerned about winning than big money contracts. He knows what rangers is all about and he knows we have a big chance this season. The way he speaks about rangers is like nothing else we've had from other managers and this is the difference. Hes built a team and he will want to add silverware to his CV. hes here for 55

Back