Much Cash Would The Correct Manager Need To Overhaul Celtic?

Coops4

Hypothetical yes. However, if we can half what we paid on Pena, Herrera, & Candieas. That would be over 2M. If the new manger likes the look of Moult, Walker & McLean for very little. I think 10m would see us competing to win the league next year. Now before you start I know this season is far from gone. I just feel the new manager will need two windows to get his own players and move on players who feels are surplus to requirements. With proper backing in these next two windows and a few real quality players will IMO see us pushing for the title next year. I don't think that's fairy tale stuff.

Although the SMSM would have you believe it will take 50m. Even Dalziell said that was a reasonable assessment. I'm calling that bull.

Thoughts Bears & Bearettes?

I think we would need £20 million but more importantly we need a manager and players with the attitude that they can compete on a level with Celtic. we seem to have accepted an attitude that we are happy if we can finish second but that has to be binned very soon. We need players with character who will win the fight first and allow the skill to beat teams rather than be bullied like we have by Celtic lately and Motherwell last weekend.
Its hard to put a figure on the cost because you never know who you might pick up on a Bosman etc

I don't think can put a price exactly on it

x amount of money won't guarantee results - look at Everton for example,

You could have a manager who is very astute in another market where we get value for money and man manages the current lot to get an extra 10-15% out of them

the amount of money we'd need to spend is being overplayed. Celtic haven't spent huge sums (even though they are clearly banking a fair bit). If the right manager can get more out of the team (the way Brenda did with them), and we add in a few quality (for Scotland) players + improve our strength in depth, £5M should be enough of a starting point for me.

Talk of £20M is way OTT.

the amount of money we'd need to spend is being overplayed. Celtic haven't spent huge sums (even though they are clearly banking a fair bit). If the right manager can get more out of the team (the way Brenda did with them), and we add in a few quality (for Scotland) players + improve our strength in depth, £5M should be enough of a starting point for me.

Talk of £20M is way OTT.

Exactly this.

We need a brilliant manager, and 3 or 4 quality additions, mega emphasis on the quality, and we will frighten the life out of them.

Can't have a scattergun approach to transfers like the past 2 years.

It is more about insight, knowledge, being able to spot and attract players and getting the team to play for you 100 per cent committed without fear and full of belief .

Of course cash helps but it can often be wasted

I seen their game last night and they played at a very high level. We're going to need investment and some luck.

I think Rodgers is definitely getting the best from that side though, so if he went, who knows how far away we'd be?

We are six points behind after the turmoil of the Pedro period.
Astute sensible management and it won’t take much.

3 million - 10 million. But probably a lot more in whole because of their cash reserves and they probably have invested in a few legitimate film companies too

The 'correct manager' would be able to get his players playing to their full potential; would be able to spot talent and develop it; would be tactically astute and flexible.

I don't think we're as far from Celtc as some make out and the 'correct manager' would prove this.

Candieas doesn't deserve to be on your list OP.

The fact they reached another level by buying Sinclair and Dembele and a new manager highlights the possibilities.

Spend our money wisely.

FWIW, I’d rather now we were buying ones and twos in the summer - maybe higher wages, but some real standouts.

I don’t think we need another summer of ten and eleven players coming and going.

Can’t put a figure on it, but we’re way behind at the moment! Finding players like Morelos and snapping up the best young talent like McCrorie is key.

We could win the league this year with limited additional spending if we got the right manager - I really believe that. They are complacent, have never faced a challenge, and will be playing Thursday cup football. Intae them!

The long term is a different matter as at currentl levels they should win the league, I reckon, 4 times out of 5. However finding Morelos type "bargains" will be the key to redressing the balance.

We need 3 or 4 players that match the quality of their “big 4” namely Armstrong, Sinclair, Dembele, Griffiths”.

What that would cost is anyone’s guess but getting a couple free agents like McArthur/Morrison would be a good start.

I think Candy can do a job for us going forward. Definitely shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Pena and Herrera.

I'd say 10m spent wisely and smart bosmans could get us close to them. It's not just how much we are paying on fees, we need to get our wage bill up closer to theirs as well. We need way more depth in our squad than we have currently, when we get 2 or 3 injuries our options start to frighten the life out of you, but they have a squad of 25 players and probably every one of them would walk into our squad and most of them into our team, that's the gap we need to bridge.

We need to get good characters into the team as well so that means guys who have played at a high level and can cope with the pressure and getting more Rangers Fans into the team as well always helps. I am sure this is the way McInnes will go, he will follow the Walter Template when rebuilding us.

We don't have the worst base to work with for a new manager - Wes, Tav, Wallace, Alves, McCrorie, Candy, Dorrans, Jack, Morelos and Kenny - all more than good enough to still make an impact at this level. Guys like Holt, Windass, Wilson and John are all good enough to be in and around the squad and make an impact from time to time - your type of player like Broadfoot from years gone by, a guy who won't start every week but he will play 18-20 games a season for you and do you a turn.

I think the likes of Cardoso, Pena, Herrera and Dalcio will be away in January or the summer at the latest.

Hypothetical yes. However, if we can half what we paid on Pena, Herrera, & Candieas. That would be over 2M. If the new manger likes the look of Moult, Walker & McLean for very little. I think 10m would see us competing to win the league next year. Now before you start I know this season is far from gone. I just feel the new manager will need two windows to get his own players and move on players who feels are surplus to requirements. With proper backing in these next two windows and a few real quality players will IMO see us pushing for the title next year. I don't think that's fairy tale stuff.

Although the SMSM would have you believe it will take 50m. Even Dalziell said that was a reasonable assessment. I'm calling that bull.

Thoughts Bears & Bearettes?

A proper manager able to get the best out of what we have & a few shrewd signings & we could be challenging.

If we believe the media though Celtic have cash in abundance, so when we do start challenging them, they'll likely start to spend which we must then in turn be prepared to do also to keep up.

As for putting a figure on it? Who knows...

All we should be concentrating on is - beating the rest at the moment.

I want the new manager to organise the team, spend our money wisely.

With our budget we should easily beat the rest and finish a comfortable 2nd.

Then, we can try to bridge the gap between celtic - which wont be that much....as long as we beat the rest....

If we want to overctake Celtic we need to set our sights far higher than moult , McLean and walker .

Agree with this.

However, those three would be an improvement in what we have got at the moment IMO.

Its progress tho, we need to walk before we can run. So I wouldn't be adverse to bringing them in.

Rebuilding will take time - and they three can be a part of that.

Despite the dodgy refereeing which has undoubtedly cost us 6-8 points of a gap, they have had Europe to contend with and have rested players and dropped points that they perhaps wouldn’t do later in the season?

I think we need 3-4 quality additions, at the cost of £10-12m. A striker, left winger/left-sided attacker, a number 10 and maybe a right back or centre back.

Last edited:
We also need to be fitter and more aggressive. I watched bits of their game and we're not at that level. We don't play at that tempo, ever...so training / coaching needs investment and work too.

Yes but no reason these types of guys can't be good squad players for us like guys like Broadfoot etc over the years. I don't see it with Walker at all but I'd take the other two for options to beef up our squad definitely.

I get your point , but we should concentrate on finding better players before concerning ourselves with average squad players .

There's no transfer fee with these guys but there are signing on fees , wages , bonuses etc money that should be invested in better quality imo

I seen their game last night and they played at a very high level. We're going to need investment and some luck.

I think Rodgers is definitely getting the best from that side though, so if he went, who knows how far away we'd be?

It'll be a sad day when we need to depend on them losing a manager to be able to catch them. I would prefer Rodgers to still be there when we do it.

The fact they reached another level by buying Sinclair and Dembele and a new manager highlights the possibilities.

Spend our money wisely.

FWIW, I’d rather now we were buying ones and twos in the summer - maybe higher wages, but some real standouts.

I don’t think we need another summer of ten and eleven players coming and going.

I think we have around 6 players out of contract next summer and three loan players - at least 2 of whom will leave. Then there is the dross we currently have out on loan that need ‘disposed of’.

I get your point , but we should concentrate on finding better players before concerning ourselves with average squad players .

There's no transfer fee with these guys but there are signing on fees , wages , bonuses etc money that should be invested in better quality imo

I think inevitably we will need a combination action of affordable local players who can do a job (improving what we have) and a few players of genuine quality at the cost of £2-4m each.

Signing Moult would improve our striking options at a low cost. He is also different to the options we have, taller than Morelos, more physical than Herrera (who may not be here long term), younger than Miller and is a consistent goal scorer in a weaker team. How often do we drop points against lesser sides by failing to take our chances. Moult would help avoid this.

We also need to be fitter and more aggressive. I watched bits of their game and we're not at that level. We don't play at that tempo, ever...so training / coaching needs investment and work too.

Rodgers signs certain types of players with certain attributes. He likes players that are good technically but they need to have good physical attributes as well, that's were the tempo and the pace they play at comes from. And obviously they must train at a high intensity as well.

There's nothing stopping us signing players with this type of profile. The total spend for their starting 11 last night must have been circa 10m quid and they had a number of Scottish Players in it as well - Gordon, Tierney, Brown, Armstrong, Forrest and McGregor.

Exactly this.

We need a brilliant manager, and 3 or 4 quality additions, mega emphasis on the quality, and we will frighten the life out of them.

Can't have a scattergun approach to transfers like the past 2 years.
Agreed. No more 10 out, 9 in windows. Three or four at a £2m-3m each for a couple and a couple of quality Bosmans. As an example, sign a McArthur type on a free and that’s like getting a guy who in contract would be a few million plus.

Agreed. No more 10 out, 9 in windows. Three or four at a £2m-3m each for a couple and a couple of quality Bosmans. As an example, sign a McArthur type on a free and that’s like getting a guy who in contract would be a few million plus.

That may well be desirable but, as stated earlier, with the contract situation - and you can probably throw in a requirement to move on some if this summer’s signings - it is inevitable we will see double-digit departures and arrivals next summer. Until we stabilise under a new Manager over a period of at least 3 years that is going to continue. It’s just one of the major problems we have to address and, whilst I’m not convinced by McInnes, it’s something he is more likely to bring than a foreign Manager who will, in my view, probably only be a relatively short-term appointment.

That may well be desirable but, as stated earlier, with the contract situation - and you can probably throw in a requirement to move on some if this summer’s signings - it is inevitable we will see double-digit departures and arrivals next summer. Until we stabilise under a new Manager over a period of at least 3 years that is going to continue.
The only definites I’d get rid of would be MOH, Forrester, Dalcio (though he will likely go back in January), Kranjcar and Rossiter (both for fitness reasons) and Pena. All of the rest are at least possibly salvageable for a new manager.

new manager and 10 million

1 , potentially 2 fullbacks . 2 midfielders , one who can dominate the middle of the park and 1 who can play a killer pass . a proven goalscorer .

Rodgers signs certain types of players with certain attributes. He likes players that are good technically but they need to have good physical attributes as well, that's were the tempo and the pace they play at comes from. And obviously they must train at a high intensity as well.

There's nothing stopping us signing players with this type of profile. The total spend for their starting 11 last night must have been circa 10m quid and they had a number of Scottish Players in it as well - Gordon, Tierney, Brown, Armstrong, Forrest and McGregor.

I agree but someone has to take an overview of how we train, and what experts we use to help us...what characteristics do we need for the high tempo, high press game? Maybe MA or someone in his team?

I don't think we are that far behind. They only had three decent signings when he went there,the rest is down to good man management,so has McInnes got the nous to outwit Rodgers, that's where I have major doubts.

Well we certainly can’t afford to blow the guts of 10 million that’s for sure.

Right manager is key op, and that determines how much we spend ie getting the best out of our current squad and take it from there.

Got a right job on his hands!

I agree but someone has to take an overview of how we train, and what experts we use to help us...what characteristics do we need for the high tempo, high press game? Maybe MA or someone in his team?

Warburton had the right ideas. He is a Poor Man's Rodgers if you like, they have the same philosophy. Whether Warburton could have kicked us on with a bigger budget is the question.

From what I heard, the tempo of our training sessions under MW was very high.

Very hard to put an exact cash figure but a lot has to do with the management team and players having self belief and a winning at all cost mentality

I agree a lot of fans seem to think being second is acceptable but our boards alleged preferred candidate has more or less said 2nd place in Scotland is the only realistic target and with that kind of attitude it will be very difficult to get Rangers challenging for the title

I believe we have improved squad wise but the Mexicans have not impressed and we've not had any ice and snow yet so not holding much hope they will succeed in Scotland.

A few quality signings are still required but we need a new Manager who can get us challenging the Tims and not accepting 2nd place is good enough

If we can get a manager in who can beat the rest most of the time we give ourselves a real shot at the title,especially if there playing so many European games they will slip up,then our games against them will take care of themselves as we don't known how that lot will react to being under pressure,I really think our teams not nearly as bad as they've shown this season two or three quality additions and were not that far away or is this just wishful thinking.

Talk of £20M is way OTT.
I think up to £10m spent in the right way can take us a long way.

Very hard to put an exact cash figure but a lot has to do with the management team and players having self belief and a winning at all cost mentality

I agree a lot of fans seem to think being second is acceptable but our boards alleged preferred candidate has more or less said 2nd place in Scotland is the only realistic target and with that kind of attitude it will be very difficult to get Rangers challenging for the title

I believe we have improved squad wise but the Mexicans have not impressed and we've not had any ice and snow yet so not holding much hope they will succeed in Scotland.

A few quality signings are still required but we need a new Manager who can get us challenging the Tims and not accepting 2nd place is good enough
Pena is used to snow covered mountains where he comes from.

I don't think we are that far behind. They only had three decent signings when he went there,the rest is down to good man management,so has McInnes got the nous to outwit Rodgers, that's where I have major doubts.
Could be the move would bring out the best in him and he could let his ideas flow freely.

Despite the dodgy refereeing which has undoubtedly cost us 6-8 points of a gap, they have had Europe to contend with and have rested players and dropped points that they perhaps wouldn’t do later in the season?

I think we need 3-4 quality additions, at the cost of £10-12m. A striker, left winger/left-sided attacker, a number 10 and maybe a right back or centre back.
Need a Centre half, Centre forward, Playmaker.

If I was the manager I would sign Moult, Walker, Morgan and McLean on frees or depending if the league is still close, spend 1m to get them all in Jan after they've signed pre contracts. That would bolster the squad for the run in.

Then I feel in the summer we would need another Centre half, a Scott Sinclair type player and a commanding centre mid.

That's where my money would go...

Need a Centre half, Centre forward, Playmaker.
I would agree. Perhaps the ones to be looking at are guys with a year left on their deal who are either second choices at big clubs or first choices at smaller clubs who can’t afford to lose them for free. In each case we may get say £5m+ players for a couple of million each.

If I was the manager I would sign Moult, Walker, Morgan and McLean on frees or depending if the league is still close, spend 1m to get them all in Jan after they've signed pre contracts. That would bolster the squad for the run in.

Then I feel in the summer we would need another Centre half, a Scott Sinclair type player and a commanding centre mid.

That's where my money would go...
That makes sense but is just one forward enough? Given that Miller is 38 next month and Herrera might not cut it under a new manager.

Back