Murder Hill, Gullane Sands.

I remember on my way back from Nth Berwick around 1976, I saw in the paper the team were at Gullane that day, so jooked in to try and see the players.
It was roughly 12 O`clock and caught them all leaving the dunes.

Rather disappointedly at missing them I asked Greigy if they were back in the afternoon and I thought he was going to croak me :) A good few expletives later, he then confimed it was a 'naw'.

McCoist's first season was it not as he said and quoted this picture as his favourite in his video The Real McCoist.

He has mentioned that DJ beat him up and down the hill that day

Possibly mid-seventies.
It,s a great wee place for a day out although there's not much there entertainment wise

Apparently when big Jock took over at Leicester City some of the players had heard of his trips to Gullane. They thought come pre season as Leicester was not near the coast they would escape the rigours of murder hill.
1st day of pre season a bus takes the players to a builders yard on some industrial estate.
Big Jock had got the builders to make hills of sand out of building materials etc so he could replicate murder hill and put the players through their paces.

Back