Murty restoring some credibility?

Baku Bear

Doing well with the reserves right now. Seems to have masterminded a win over the mentally challengeds earlier and has us top of the league.

Doing well with the reserves right now. Seems to have masterminded a win over the mentally challengeds earlier and has us top of the league.

Masterminded? They aint barcelona

But i do agree hes done really well.

Hopefully see a few youngsters break through to first team, still awaiting the next Barry Ferguson.

That's probably their fault then.
The guy was hopelessly out of his depth but to say your mind can't ever be changed?

He seems to be doing just fine in the job we actually hired him to do.
This is it. People are too quick to forget he was put in a very tough position that was not of his making. The words Dave King has spoken of him in the past show how well liked he is.

He was never a first team manager in a million years but appears to be doing well with our kids, and long may it continue.

Results at reserve/youth level mean nothing. A bunch of kids who aren't ready to play for us winning or losing to another bunch who also aren't good enough for Hibs/St Mirren/ Celtic etc is totally irrelevant. Only thing it's there to do is develop individual players for the first team.

Good for him. The easy path would have been for him to walk away, but he has taken a step down got his head down and got on with his job. Done well by all accounts; a classic example of what my Ibrox born Granny would have called The Protestant Work Ethic. Our club is alive today solely because so many Bears did the same thing when the wreckers tried to destroy us.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
61uXY9y9b1L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
unspecified.jpg

I mean no disrespect to the guy, but I think he has found his level, at our club and I hope he goes on to make a good career with the young guns at Ibrox.

I think I get what you mean but by saying he is at his level.... arguably the coaching of Development/Youth teams is the most important at most football clubs.

He clearly struggled with everything that goes with being the first team coach but as the guy in charge of how young talent develops ahead of hopefully reaching the first team squad, the guy is doing a great job.

People getting all giddy last year when the reserves were in a rich vein of form but he was not coaching them but I think he could justifiably claim to have put the wheels in motion for that before his “promotion” to the first team.

Last edited:
The end of his time was f*cking horrific and he clearly wasn't cut out for it. However, folks forget he got most of our decent results in the past 7 years before Gerrard.

The scorned Pedro boys on here were gunning for him from the start it seemed.

He done well his first spell with the young guns as well. Hope he goes on to be 1 of the best and makes us a good few first team players .

A lot of his failings were forgiveable - he tried his best in a job where he was promoted above the level of his ability - but it was unforgiveable that he led a Rangers team at the Piggery and raved about the venue and the atmosphere in a TV interview (with no mention of his own fans.)

It was an awful decision by the board to put him in as manager. Interim or otherwise. He was a good youth coach before that and the board essentially tarnished his name by putting him in a position he was very unlikely to do well in.

Glad to see he is doing well with the reserves again though. Good result today.

This was a man who set up and sent out a Rangers team at the piggery that got humiliated 0-5 and refused to take any responsibility.

A man who humiliated and embarrassed one of his players on live TV by hauling him off after 41mins in a cup semi final.

A man who downright refused to defend his players from blatant thuggery.

And some people still defend him on here because he took up the "Challenge".

He was put in a job that he admitted that he didn't want. A youth coach is not a first team coach and vice versa, 2 very different roles requiring very different skillsets. Working with kids who are sponges and follow tactics that they are taught, compared with adults, no doubt with egos, that may have difference experience of what they think should and shouldn't be done.

The fact he managed the first team as long as he did is an embarrassment, but the embarrassment is the fault of the board and not Murty.

He did his best and is doing well with the youths. Any anger towards him is being pointed in the wrong direction.

Guy never lost any credibility for me. Was handed 2 shit shows and did his best with them. He was doing great with the youths before it and he is doing great with them after it.

He's back doing the job he was meant to be doing. Had a few shocking interviews after bad results that have probably stood him in good stead learning wise. He's a grown man that made a decision to take the job on so I don't get the sympathy towards him in that regard, he could've said no. It's done now and it seems he's doing a great job at a level that he's suited to.

He made a complete fool of us. Yes he was very poorly treated but he didn't help matters. Some of the comments he came out with were just asking for trouble.

All this banning green boots nonsense was just a cheap way of trying to win over the fans.

There were lots of reports from the training ground that he wasn't the 'nice guy' we we all thought.

On the night he was sacked he was reported to be out in the West End with all his team having a right good time and carry on. It was clear he couldn't give a toss about the club.

So unsubstantiated rumours & the banning of green boots makes him an arsehole.

The results were poor, no doubt, but it was the board that appointed him.

I'm not trying to argue btw, just think you're being harsh.

That's probably their fault then.
The guy was hopelessly out of his depth but to say your mind can't ever be changed?

He seems to be doing just fine in the job we actually hired him to do.

The debacle the guy endured was hardly his fault. Blame lies with the people who shoehorned him into the senior role when he clearly felt himself he was not equipped for it.
An unnecessarily embarrassing episode all round, betraying a distinct lack of professionalism at a senior level.

Don’t understand the Murty trashing, I just don’t.

Incredibly nice guy who was told to do a job and did his best.

He wasn't asked to take over... He was ordered. He gave it his best shot and he was never going to be a 100/1 outsider crazy success story. How folk on here slaughter him is beyond me.

He's back doing the job he was meant to be doing. Had a few shocking interviews after bad results that have probably stood him in good stead learning wise. He's a grown man that made a decision to take the job on so I don't get the sympathy towards him in that regard, he could've said no. It's done now and it seems he's doing a great job at a level that he's suited to.

Agree with this except that he couldn’t really say no could he ? We were desperate and he did what any of us would have done in his position and answered the call.

Lacking the experience of a First Team coach, he was a bit of luck and an Alfredo Morelos finish away from getting us to within 3 points of those smelly bastards in March last year. Closest we had come for a long time with a fantastic run post January. There’s no doubt it unravelled horrifically from there.

6/7 months he was Manager of Rangers for in his second spell stepping in. Not Reading. Not Everton. Not Arsenal.

Rangers. It does our club a disservice to downplay what it takes to manage our football club. It didn’t work out in the end for him. But for a guy asked to step in at a moments notice with no previous managerial history bar the first time he stepped in, was it ever going to turn out incredibly well? That doesn’t mean that he can’t be a first team manager elsewhere. Nobody can Say for definite that he doesn’t have it in his locker.

He should hold his head high for me. And I’m glad he had the balls to stay on. People were praising him in his role with the youths before he became Manager. His experience in the hot seat shouldn’t alter the fact that he is clearly very good working with the youths.

And that is good news for Rangers.

He made some bad decisions as a manager but if we're being honest, even an experienced manager would've struggled in the situations he faced.

Fair play to him for putting his ego aside and stepping back down to the job he originally came to do. His confidence and pride must've taken a pretty big hit in his second spell as manager. Says a lot about his character.

This was a man who set up and sent out a Rangers team at the piggery that got humiliated 0-5 and refused to take any responsibility.

A man who humiliated and embarrassed one of his players on live TV by hauling him off after 41mins in a cup semi final.

A man who downright refused to defend his players from blatant thuggery.

And some people still defend him on here because he took up the "Challenge".

It's not about defending him, it's folk rightly looking at the situation he found himself in for what it was and cutting a wee bit of slack.

It's not about defending him, it's folk rightly looking at the situation he found himself in for what it was and cutting a wee bit of slack.
Many people including me did have had a long hard look at the situation and didn't like what we saw. Murty digging a deeper hole game by game for himself. The board created the situation but murty accelerated it to the point where it was untenable.

Many people including me did have had a long hard look at the situation and didn't like what we saw. Murty digging a deeper hole game by game for himself. The board created the situation but murty accelerated it to the point where it was untenable.

He made errors, of that there is no doubt. My thoughts are that he was thrust into a situation where he floundered and was left to it for a long time. It's a tenure that is horrible, but find some of the critisism if him pretty harsh.

Fair comment, although any sympathy I had with the man went out the window after the two heavy mentally challenged defeats and his subsequent behaviour which was quite frankly despicable for a Rangers manager.

The mentally challenged defeat at the end of the season was a disgrace and we could all see it coming.

Whilst we are at it, he got the best results we’ve had at Parkhead since 2010(?). And if Morelos didn’t get his usual stage fright there we’d have won the one last season.

Anyway, he’s left as caretaker and we’re better off for it.

Never wan to see him in the hotshot again.
Gutted he's still at us tbh after the embarrassing results of last season.

Back