Murty restoring some credibility?

The damage to his time with us is done.

I can’t see that ever changing for the majority of fans.
Give the guy a break he stepped in when needed. It's not his fault he wasn't capable of making the step up. The blame for the Murty disaster lies with those who appointed him.

Think he has something as a coach and at some point could go back into management albeit at a much lower level.

He clearly could not cope with the pressure last season to the point where it was unfair to ask him to continue when it was clearly impacting his health. Very few people have what it takes to cope with the strain of being Rangers manager, Gerrard is the first in recent history that has the mentality

If he can continue to develop young players that eventually make the first team squad then that could prove invaluable to the club. Good luck to him in this the role for which he was originally recruited.

Strange one. I honestly don't have any lingering or long term dislike towards the man. Not up to it, back where he's best placed and we now have what I personally would classify as a genuine Rangers manager in charge.

The man was offered the job and chance of a lifetime (that even though he wasn't qualified like everyone on here) and took it the same as every single person posting on this forum would if offered. It didn't work out but atleast he's had the balls to come back and return to the kids coaching after some of the abuse he took. I wish him all the best and hope he can get some of our rising stars ready for the first team

Murty was encouraged to step into the role, it was too big for him but that doesn’t make him a bad guy. I don’t understand why he gets slagged off so much by our support as he seems like a good guy to have round the place and he seems to be good at the actual job he was employed to do with the younger guys

That's probably their fault then.
The guy was hopelessly out of his depth but to say your mind can't ever be changed?

He seems to be doing just fine in the job we actually hired him to do.
Correct. This may just be his level, which is not meant as a criticism. Some people are made for coaching kids but not so good at the top level.

He helped us out, twice, when he was asked. He got some things correct, others wrong but he could have taken then easy option and stuck to the job he was brought to Rangers to do.

The role he is doing is crucial to our future.

Graeme Murty is probably one of the bravest, sincere and resilient men at our club.
We should be proud that we have a man of that calibre working with our youngsters.

He didn't come here to become first team coach / manager. He came here to work with and progress our youth. That's his preference and clearly he is good at it. The fact that he stepped up, not once, but twice under the circumstances he was called upon, AND gave us that moment in the Semi-final in the cup against Celtic (which will live with me forever) is nothing short of admirable.

Then the fact that after what happened, happened, he was brave enough and humble enough to stay at the club in a "lesser" role, is honestly nothing but a testament to the man's credibility and character.

Of course, any man can be given criticism. Every single one of us here probably do things that can be criticised on a daily basis, and i'm certain, would come under the same scrutiny as Murty did under the same circumstances, for varying reasons. And some of that criticism would be, and was fair. But if there is any genuine Rangers fan sitting here right now that has a negative view of Murty as a whole, then you are either ignorant or naive, or at worst, lack intelligence.

Murty will never go down as a great manager in our history, but he was flung into that position twice and instead of shying away or rejecting it out of fear, he faced it head on and I'm sure he did the best job he could.

He is what he is, career wise - but as a man he's probably one of the best there is at our club. I wish him every bit of success he could possibly achieve.

Two totally different roles. He is excelling in one and wasn't up to the other. Hopefully we see a few of the youths make the step up in the coming years. If we can get one a season I'll be delighted.

Memories maybe a bit shady but I’m sure his pre match interview was the one where he avoided any responsibility.

Wether it was before or after it was shocking what he said.
Thats the one said it was all down to the players, there was nothing he could effect during the game. All those managers able to tweak tactics and positions during a game not including the impact substitutions can make

He was clearly too emotional and honest to be a manager. FWIW although things fell apart at the end he stepped up when the board messed up and deserves a lot of credit for it.

The guy was a total fucking embarrassment when managing our first team and this time last year I seriously couldn’t stand the sight of him.

However, he seems to be doing a good job with our youth players so fair play to him for that.

On one hand I feel for him. I said at the time it was very poor from the board putting him in that position.

But the longer it went on I forgot about the fact he’d been flung in at the deep end and focused more on his decisions and what he said. Hooking Halliday a few minutes before half time, his pathetic interview before the OF at the piggery, effectively grassing Wallace & Miller to the board for daring to be angry after another pumping and so on.

I’m indifferent to him. I’m glad he is doing a decent job but still think his mentality leaves a lot to be desired. Even last week after we beat Hibs he came out and said he would of been happy with a draw, thats not the right mentality to be passing on to our youth players.

Nice for his mental health and that of any human being to see him doing well at a level he is comfortable with.

But it is his level.

Ah yes, the moment every Bear will remember forever. What f uckin moment was that in a 0-4 humiliation.

A lot of revisionist airbrushing of Murty's actual achievements in this thread and more than usual amount of mentally challengeds.

Only thing I can think of is that he is getting Murty mixed up with Warburton and he is thinking of the semi final 2 seasons earlier.

Only thing I can think of is that he is getting Murty mixed up with Warburton and he is thinking of the semi final 2 seasons earlier.

I absolutely am! can't believe that!

Ah well - everything else I said about the man is true pmsl!

I'm sure he will enlighten us all in due course. And also explain why every Bear that disagrees with his point of view is either ignorant or lacks intelligence.

I'm sure he will enlighten us all in due course. And also explain why every Bear that disagrees with his point of view is either ignorant or lacks intelligence.

It's nothing to do with my point of view or opinion - and everything to do with common decency.

If you can't see past the man's ability as a the first team manager of a club the size of rangers (when in reality that was never on his career path - in a job that is much larger than any other managerial job at the time given the circumstance) which I would agree, was too large for him, and see the person behind that, how much balls it took to stand up and at least try and be counted for on two separate occasions, how hard he tried despite being a fish out of water, and then still have the character and resilience to stay at the club and go back to his day job in a "lesser" role after everything and knowing full well fans would have their say at the time as everything was still raw - then the issue isn't him.

I'm sure you're a sound guy - but honestly, you're opinion on Murty is so misguided and very extreme.

God forbid you are ever called upon in a situation where you're not 100% comfortable, but you know that you just need to do it because of the higher cause, and you under perform, and dare I say, make mistakes along the way - because if your friend/support network are people like you, you're pretty f*(k*d. Because that's all Murty is really guilty of, if anything, is under performing in a job he was never meant to have in the first place.

murty was hired because he was a well thought of youth coach, not because he was a potential first team manager.

i am glad he is being allowed to do the job he was employed to do. long may it continue.

It's nothing to do with my point of view or opinion - and everything to do with common decency.

If you can't see past the man's ability as a the first team manager of a club the size of rangers (when in reality that was never on his career path - in a job that is much larger than any other managerial job at the time given the circumstance) which I would agree, was too large for him, and see the person behind that, how much balls it took to stand up and at least try and be counted for on two separate occasions, how hard he tried despite being a fish out of water, and then still have the character and resilience to stay at the club and go back to his day job in a "lesser" role after everything and knowing full well fans would have their say at the time as everything was still raw - then the issue isn't him.

I'm sure you're a sound guy - but honestly, you're opinion on Murty is so misguided and very extreme.

God forbid you are ever called upon in a situation where you're not 100% comfortable, but you know that you just need to do it because of the higher cause, and you under perform, and dare I say, make mistakes along the way - because if your friend/support network are people like you, you're pretty f*(k*d. Because that's all Murty is really guilty of, if anything, is under performing in a job he was never meant to have in the first place.

great post. totally agree

You still haven't justified your comments that any fellow Bear is either ignorant or lacks intelligence despite your waffle.

Answer the question and dont be so condescending. It ain't clever.

Doing well with the reserves right now. Seems to have masterminded a win over the mentally challengeds earlier and has us top of the league.
His number one “kpi” has yet to be fulfilled.
If and when the kids make the breakthrough to the top team, he, and Mulholland, will deserve the credit they’ll very likely receive.

That's probably their fault then.
The guy was hopelessly out of his depth but to say your mind can't ever be changed?

He seems to be doing just fine in the job we actually hired him to do.

Massively unfair for him to be judged on spells in charge of the first team when he was dropped right in the thick of it inheriting absolutely hopeless squads. Was doing a good job in youth system before all that and doing a good job again after his return.

He was crap as an interim manager. But we have been poor at that time anyway!

But he is a good coach with the youth and its good to see things are going well for us

Doing well with the reserves right now. Seems to have masterminded a win over the mentally challengeds earlier and has us top of the league.

He claimed after the game his team "were not even targetting winning the league"

The man is a born loser, a coward who should never have been allowed to darken our door again nevermind try to shape the future bears into winners.

Plenty more I could say about him, but I am off this week and don't fancy getting banned.

He claimed after the game his team "were not even targetting winning the league"

The man is a born loser, a coward who should never have been allowed to darken our door again nevermind try to shape the future bears into winners.

Plenty more I could say about him, but I am off this week and don't fancy getting banned.

It's nothing to do with being a loser. Mullholland has set them targets on foreign games and development. If you have ever worked in youth system the target is not winning it's getting players through to first team or sold to English teams for cross border fees.

Winning the league means not alot - as the core of a squad will change dependant on what is happening at the club that week injured 1st team players returning, international under levels.

We have won reserve leagues and syfa cups previously didn't develop many players we have a different set up now which is working well.

Memories maybe a bit shady but I’m sure his pre match interview was the one where he avoided any responsibility.

Wether it was before or after it was shocking what he said.

"I just stand on the sidelines" while chewing his zip is what he said then mumbled and shrugged his shoulders for the rest of the interview.

The players were sent out there (and I am not excusing some of the heart shown by them) without a hope in hell, it could have been 8 or 9 and that is no exaggeration.

The week before he brings MOH in from nowhere for 20 mins just to prove a point and stick up 2 fingers to certain players.

The man is a coward and a born loser.

It's nothing to do with being a loser. Mullholland has set them targets on foreign games and development. If you have ever worked in youth system the target is not winning it's getting players through to first team or sold to English teams for cross border fees.

Winning the league means not alot - as the core of a squad will change dependant on what is happening at the club that week injured 1st team players returning, international under levels.

We have won reserve leagues and syfa cups previously didn't develop many players we have a different set up now which is working well.

The mentality at Rangers is you win, at all costs.

Not that you cry and refuse to talk to players as it might cause "conflict" after a 4-0 raping at the hands of Celtic in a match you have humiliated the one player that the game actually meant something too.

That is not the sort of person I want mentoring the youths and preparing them for the top team.

Nothing but respect for the guy. Even after it going some what tits up, he's stayed and is continuing to serve the club.

Worth pointing out his win record is better than Gerrard's.

Worth Pointing out he lost 11 in 35.

Gerrard has lost 9 in 55

In his 35 games Murty had some very easy fixtures
Losses at Home to Killie, Hamilton, St Johnstone (the last two we were outplayed, outfought and were humiliated at home to these two), lost away to Dundee etc etc
not to mention two games vs Celtic 4-0 and 5-0.

Btw, Caixhina has a better win rate than Gerrard.

The mentality at Rangers is you win, at all costs.

Not that you cry and refuse to talk to players as it might cause "conflict" after a 4-0 raping at the hands of Celtic in a match you have humiliated the one player that the game actually meant something too.

That is not the sort of person I want mentoring the youths and preparing them for the top team.

Been around the set up its not win at all cost in development football. Nor it should you need to see the difference between senior football to youth football. Players should want to win that is a competitive inner but some players accept defeat.

Yes players will be judged on winning mentality but also how they react to a defeat. A youth coach and that is what Murty is a good youth coach asks questions of players to combat or improve. Senior players are different all together this is a different approach entirely. He didnt have the tool set to work with seniors who questioned him as that doesnt happen often in youth set ups.

Worth Pointing out he lost 11 in 35.

Gerrard has lost 9 in 55

In his 35 games Murty had some very easy fixtures
Losses at Home to Killie, Hamilton, St Johnstone (the last two we were outplayed, outfought and were humiliated at home to these two), lost away to Dundee etc etc
not to mention two games vs Celtic 4-0 and 5-0.

Btw, Caixhina has a better win rate than Gerrard.

Murty didn't spend any money on transfers.

Gerrard has had the largest kitty in over 10 years, Are you happy with the return on that investment

Been around the set up its not win at all cost in development football. Nor it should you need to see the difference between senior football to youth football. Players should want to win that is a competitive inner but some players accept defeat.

Yes players will be judged on winning mentality but also how they react to a defeat. A youth coach and that is what Murty is a good youth coach asks questions of players to combat or improve. Senior players are different all together this is a different approach entirely. He didnt have the tool set to work with seniors who questioned him as that doesnt happen often in youth set ups.

Birthday caird pish.

Back