My complaint to BBC about James Cook ‘anti irish, anti catholic’ article

nelster

Official FF Paparazzi
Admin, feel free to merge with the other thread if you wish.

But I wanted to issue a call to bears, if you have time to get off your backside and deal with these people, in a factual manner, please do so.

Rangers are dealing with those that specifically defamed the club / business.

The Rangers support needs to stand up for itself.

If you wish to make your own complaint you can do so here : https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

The BBC are permitted to report what an individual from the SNP said about the Rangers support and quote them on it.

The BBC are not allowed in their own name to subsequently state something unproven or completely false, as fact.

Complaint below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57439470

Author : James Cook

James Cook has attended previous celebrations of Rangers winning league titles for BBC. Namely in 2005 when tens of thousands of fans arrived back at Ibrox from an away match, unprompted. His report was very fair, as per the BBC's code and contained no subjective political speak.

There was no outcry in 2005. But in 2005 there was no political party in control of Scotland inventing narratives and fake soundbites that their voters and cult followers wish to hear about people that wave the Union Flag.

Rangers have taken legal action against some of these political individuals for the spread of fake and defamatory information about the events of May 15th that were specifically against employees of Rangers as a business.

James article is not in any way against Rangers as a club or business and would not be covered by the legal action, but it is identical in its content, against the Rangers support and surely the BBC code.

To my complaint :

Can James confirm that he has categorical proof of "anti irish, anti catholic disorder", which appears to have only been invented after Scottish society thought they had banished Rangers forever, only to find them atop Scottish Football once again.

It would certainly seem that in social media / political circles "anti irish, anti catholic disorder" as repeated verbatim by James, is actually SNP political speak for "nasty Rangers fans celebrating winning the league", with zero evidence presented.

Given the clear code in place for the BBC, James cannot just repeat a subjective unproven narrative from social media and present it as fact. Regardless of the originators' prominence and control of our media.

James' article and wish to promote such a narrative as fact, must be challenged and subsequently retracted with an apology issued to tens of thousands of Rangers fans who were in attendance.

If only SNP politicians had a similarly enforced code to adhere to.

That James Cook is a Nationalist runt

Remember him from 2014 referendum being totally biased in support of the SNP. It was blatant

He then moved to America for a few years with BBC but moved back when that shitey dedicated Scottish news channel started up

How he could bring our title celebrations into that article is unreal and spouting the anti Irish anti Catholic bigotry is total BS

Ive complained on numerous occasions to BBC and it’s just ignored but fair play to OP a for trying

They will never change and their own bias against Rangers and Unionists

But I wanted to issue a call to bears, if you have time to get off your backside and deal with these people, in a factual manner, please do so.

If you wish to make your own complaint you can do so here : https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

The BBC are permitted to report what an individual from the SNP said about the Rangers support and quote them on it.

The BBC are not allowed in their own name to subsequently state something unproven or completely false, as fact.

Complaint below.

James Cook has attended previous celebrations of Rangers winning league titles for BBC. Namely in 2005 when tens of thousands of fans arrived back at Ibrox from an away match, unprompted. His report was very fair, as per the BBC's code and contained no subjective political speak.

There was no outcry in 2005. But in 2005 there was no political party in control of Scotland inventing narratives and fake soundbites that their voters and cult followers wish to hear about people that wave the Union Flag.

Rangers have taken legal action against some of these political individuals for the spread of fake and defamatory information about the events of May 15th that were specifically against employees of Rangers as a business.

James article is not in any way against Rangers as a club or business and would not be covered by the legal action, but it is identical in its content, against the Rangers support and surely the BBC code.

To my complaint :

Can James confirm that he has categorical proof of "anti irish, anti catholic disorder", which appears to have only been invented after Scottish society thought they had banished Rangers forever, only to find them atop Scottish Football once again.

It would certainly seem that in social media / political circles "anti irish, anti catholic disorder" as repeated verbatim by James, is actually SNP political speak for "nasty Rangers fans celebrating winning the league", with zero evidence presented.

Given the clear code in place for the BBC, James cannot just repeat a subjective unproven narrative from social media and present it as fact. Regardless of the originators' prominence and control of our media.

James' article and wish to promote such a narrative as fact, must be challenged and subsequently retracted with an apology issued to tens of thousands of Rangers fans who were in attendance.

Done

Yes well done
We are all to a man fed up with this.

It's a long game to defeat the haters, but they should know, we will never surrender. In fact we have a song about it.

“Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”, is a law of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels.

It seems to be a propaganda tactic that Scottish nationalist politicians and media used against Rangers fans with regards to this alleged widespread anti-Catholic anti-Irish 'racism' that they have very little (if any) evidence for.

And you wonder why so many Rangers fans can't be arsed with the national team when lies after lies is peddled out about us by nationalist dickheads.

Sent in the complaint below. May not make a blind bit of difference but had to do something. Was more productive than watching Scotland! Will probably get fobbed off as usual but will post if by some miracle I get a positive reply.

I would like to register a complaint regarding the above article written by your correspondent, James Cook. While commenting on the way Scotland has changed since the national football team last qualified for a major tournament in 1998, he states that -

'....the shameful shadow of violence and sectarianism remains, as demonstrated by last months's violent, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic disorder by a minority of Rangers fans celebrating their team's league title in Glasgow's George Square.'

While no-one can deny or condone the violence that took place in George Square, there has been a concerted campaign by certain organisations and individuals to try and link an anti-Irish, anti-Catholic narrative to what took place. This has been done without the provision of a shred of evidence which, in this digital and social media age, and with the national media in attendance around George Square, I frankly find quite astonishing. Therefore, I offer my congratulations to Mr. Cook as his article suggests that he has succeeded where everyone else in the Scottish media has failed by obtaining a world exclusive and securing proof that this did indeed happen.

Instead, the question should maybe be asked as to who is driving this false narrative and why the Scottish media have accepted it as being true, again without a shred of evidence or any investigation. If Mr. Cook wants to talk about shameful, he may want to look at who instigated the smear campaign against celebrating Rangers players by claiming an obviously doctored social media video showed them singing sectarian add-ons. To save him the bother, it is one and the same people/political party.

At best, this is lazy journalism. At worst, it is another part of an orchestrated campaign that is taking our country down a very dangerous path. Either way, I look forward to Mr. Cook providing evidence to back up the claims he referenced or a retraction of his article stating that there is no evidence that it happened.

Sent in the complaint below. May not make a blind bit of difference but had to do something. Was more productive than watching Scotland! Will probably get fobbed off as usual but will post if by some miracle I get a positive reply.

I would like to register a complaint regarding the above article written by your correspondent, James Cook. While commenting on the way Scotland has changed since the national football team last qualified for a major tournament in 1998, he states that -

'....the shameful shadow of violence and sectarianism remains, as demonstrated by last months's violent, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic disorder by a minority of Rangers fans celebrating their team's league title in Glasgow's George Square.'

While no-one can deny or condone the violence that took place in George Square, there has been a concerted campaign by certain organisations and individuals to try and link an anti-Irish, anti-Catholic narrative to what took place. This has been done without the provision of a shred of evidence which, in this digital and social media age, and with the national media in attendance around George Square, I frankly find quite astonishing. Therefore, I offer my congratulations to Mr. Cook as his article suggests that he has succeeded where everyone else in the Scottish media has failed by obtaining a world exclusive and securing proof that this did indeed happen.

Instead, the question should maybe be asked as to who is driving this false narrative and why the Scottish media have accepted it as being true, again without a shred of evidence or any investigation. If Mr. Cook wants to talk about shameful, he may want to look at who instigated the smear campaign against celebrating Rangers players by claiming an obviously doctored social media video showed them singing sectarian add-ons. To save him the bother, it is one and the same people/political party.

At best, this is lazy journalism. At worst, it is another part of an orchestrated campaign that is taking our country down a very dangerous path. Either way, I look forward to Mr. Cook providing evidence to back up the claims he referenced or a retraction of his article stating that there is no evidence that it happened.
Well done

I’m not sure about the BBC charter but if you report a paper to IPSO the onus is on the paper to prove something is accurate.
IPSO are also very keen to make life difficult for papers.

Complaint below.

To my complaint :

Well done mate,the more of us that challenge false narrative and lies the better.The days of waiting on someone else to do it are over.
If we keep it polite and stick to the facts their efforts to deflect the truth will eventually be shown up for the lies they are.

We had eyes on James Cook last week allowing Tom Devine to spout more outrageous stuff.

Oddly enough the BBC closed my complaint regarding his web article slandering those at George Sq a few days later.

I’ve just escalated it to the next stage of BBC complaints.

My stage 1 complaint is copied below within the "dashes". It was very clear in its content and why it required the BBC to retract the article. All replies I received throughout stage 1 continued to state the BBC position that the content was by default, factual.

There was no justification for this other than the very first response to my complaint referring to statements from political individuals as the justification.

Given that these political individuals have faced ridicule on more than 1 recent occasion for slandering both Rangers FC employees as "anti irish, anti catholic" using a fake video to do so (on the very same weekend of the comments I am complaining about). Then slandered the Lothian Bus Company as "anti irish, anti catholic" after their staff suffered violence and couldn't operate services on St Patricks Day. The latter comment should concern anyone given the sectarian nature of it, somehow equating St Patricks Day as exclusively related to Roman Catholicism.

The context of the comments I have complained about you reporting as fact and the suite of wider identical comments they sit within is very clear. These comments cannot be treated as fact and should never be presented by the BBC slandering a section of society that support Rangers FC.

We both know there is no justification for the BBC to promote 1 of these 3 sets of comment as fact. You would not dream of promoting the same verbatim comments against Rangers FC or Lothian Bus, as they are corporate entities with Lawyers which would seek legal redress.

There have been numerous FOI requests made to Police Scotland regarding the event relating to my original complaint. There is no content in the responses outlining "anti irish, anti catholic disorder" as a reason for anyone being prosecuted at George Square. The BBC article specifically states George Square, where several thousand gathered to celebrate a league title. There is also no video footage of anything the BBC are currently trying to present as fact, even with thousands of people in attendance. Only comments from individuals already discredited for similarly unfounded attacks on corporate entities are the BBC's justification.

It is unacceptable that these comments are still permitted to remain.

There are wider discussions required regarding James Cook and a recent TV appearance with Tom Devine under his watch, following the very same unfounded narrative I am complaining about. But to further reference that and delve into it as a trend would only cloud and muddy this issue.

In summary :

The BBC for an unknown reason has taken a default position that political comment claiming that a clearly defined criminal act has taken place on a large scale by individual citizens, is factual. Regardless of them not taking this position when the same unfounded, unproven and ridiculed comments were made by the same people about 2 corporate entities within the same window of a few weeks.

---------

------------

We had eyes on James Cook last week allowing Tom Devine to spout more outrageous stuff.

Oddly enough the BBC closed my complaint regarding his web article slandering those at George Sq a few days later.

I’ve just escalated it to the next stage of BBC complaints.

My stage 1 complaint is copied below within the "dashes". It was very clear in its content and why it required the BBC to retract the article. All replies I received throughout stage 1 continued to state the BBC position that the content was by default, factual.

There was no justification for this other than the very first response to my complaint referring to statements from political individuals as the justification.

Given that these political individuals have faced ridicule on more than 1 recent occasion for slandering both Rangers FC employees as "anti irish, anti catholic" using a fake video to do so (on the very same weekend of the comments I am complaining about). Then slandered the Lothian Bus Company as "anti irish, anti catholic" after their staff suffered violence and couldn't operate services on St Patricks Day. The latter comment should concern anyone given the sectarian nature of it, somehow equating St Patricks Day as exclusively related to Roman Catholicism.

The context of the comments I have complained about you reporting as fact and the suite of wider identical comments they sit within is very clear. These comments cannot be treated as fact and should never be presented by the BBC slandering a section of society that support Rangers FC.

We both know there is no justification for the BBC to promote 1 of these 3 sets of comment as fact. You would not dream of promoting the same verbatim comments against Rangers FC or Lothian Bus, as they are corporate entities with Lawyers which would seek legal redress.

There have been numerous FOI requests made to Police Scotland regarding the event relating to my original complaint. There is no content in the responses outlining "anti irish, anti catholic disorder" as a reason for anyone being prosecuted at George Square. The BBC article specifically states George Square, where several thousand gathered to celebrate a league title. There is also no video footage of anything the BBC are currently trying to present as fact, even with thousands of people in attendance. Only comments from individuals already discredited for similarly unfounded attacks on corporate entities are the BBC's justification.

It is unacceptable that these comments are still permitted to remain.

There are wider discussions required regarding James Cook and a recent TV appearance with Tom Devine under his watch, following the very same unfounded narrative I am complaining about. But to further reference that and delve into it as a trend would only cloud and muddy this issue.

In summary :

The BBC for an unknown reason has taken a default position that political comment claiming that a clearly defined criminal act has taken place on a large scale by individual citizens, is factual. Regardless of them not taking this position when the same unfounded, unproven and ridiculed comments were made by the same people about 2 corporate entities within the same window of a few weeks.

---------

------------

Outstanding.

If the club actually cared about the fans they'd have someone following your lead backed up by lawyers.

I complained about an article last night had an automated response they said it could be up to 10 days to reply

Don't hold your breath waiting for the BBC to take action.

On a report on the BBC Shotbread website yesterday was this headline;

Police condemn 'racist and sectarian' singing at Orange walks​

Whilst the bulk of the "article" mentioned the parades in Glasgow, further down the "article" BBC Shortbread managed to shoe horn in the following;

There have also been outbreaks of violence at some events related to football.
A number of people were assaulted in May after thousands of Rangers fans took to the streets of Glasgow - despite the Covid restrictions - when the club won the Scottish Premiership.

I am sad to report that my complaint was rejected at the very highest BBC level it can go to and I must now go to Ofcom.

But today, when we are still under attack, the BBC has justified describing our title win as “anti irish anti catholic disorder” using the following as justification

1. Rod Petrie (of exuberance fame) using the word sectarian in an SFA statement.

2. SNP MPs and MSPs tweeting lies long before Rangers fans had even reached George Square - which prompted Petrie above - the very same people that ridiculously slandered Lothian Bus Company as “anti irish anti catholic” but dont face the same ridicule when they do it to Rangers

3. Fake Paramedic Darren on Radio Clyde. Remember him.

4. 1 example of a Rangers fan with a sectarian element to his charge in a crowd of thousands.

This is what we are up against. Today and every day going forward. The people with control of the media can say anything they want to be true regardless of it being false and it becomes the truth, by default.

I am sad to report that my complaint was rejected at the very highest BBC level it can go to and I must now go to Ofcom.

But today, when we are still under attack, the BBC has justified describing our title win as “anti irish anti catholic disorder” using the following as justification

1. Rod Petrie (of exuberance fame) using the word sectarian in an SFA statement.

2. SNP MPs and MSPs tweeting lies long before Rangers fans had even reached George Square - which prompted Petrie above - the very same people that ridiculously slandered Lothian Bus Company as “anti irish anti catholic” but dont face the same ridicule when they do it to Rangers

4. 1 example of a Rangers fan with a sectarian element to his charge in a crowd of thousands.

This is what we are up against. Today and every day going forward. The people with control of the media can say anything they want to be true regardless of it being false and it becomes the truth, by default.

Well done for hanging in there.

I reckon BBC Scotland are struggling to justify the terminology and James Cook was revealing his own bias.

If you phrase your complaint to Ofcom carefully I think you might get a result.

All that said, the club is really letting us down by relying on supporters to do everything.

A perfect example of how the slanderous piile-on succeeds.

Be prepared for more lies travelling half way round the world before the truth has got it's trousers on

Right there is what we are up against when we complain.
The evidence used to justify their reporting and media comments, is taken from SFA and MSP quotes, no matter how false. They are produced and accepted as fact.

This proves correct exactly what Rangers supporters on here and elsewhere have tried to highlight.
If you say something often enough in this country, it becomes fact.

No matter that those "facts" were proposed by bigoted, sectarian filth in high positions, to further their anti Unionist/Protestant/Rangers hate agenda.

Back