My formation and team for next season

Recoba

Official Ticketer
I would like to see us go 3 at the back, and use a tight diamond 4 in the middle (not a number 10 as such) of midfielders with Jack or McCrorie as the holding mid, it would give us a solid midfield that could outnumber most teams and we still have an attacking front 3 and discipline in midfield to cover the wide areas, not having out and out wingbacks as such isnt as great a concern for me although it can be tweaked depending on who we play as Candeais and Muprhy are also good at getting back to help.

Of course we have the facility to change to different formations as and when we need to this is just the first one that came to my head.

I realise Tav and dj are out and not everyone will be happy with that but this is just my opinion, Tav could still have a big part to play but im not building the team around him.

We would need to buy a new gk, 3 centre backs, 2 at least with pace and i also have a new striker in IF Morelos goes, i have used McArthur etc in this team as an example only, i understand they might not all sign.

1677756_Champions_League_Team.jpg

or

1677780_Champions_League_Team.jpg

Last edited:
Home games out with the filth.

Back 4
3 centre mids
A wide player or creative type
2 centre forwards

The formation has to be flexible, we can’t have one formation, if we start 4-2-1-3 then we need to be able to go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-3 or 4-3-3 with the players in the team and depending on what the opposition do.
The bets two managers unfortunately in the league is Rodgers ad Lennon and they both change the formation as the game goes on and we need a manager that can do the same and read the match. The days of 4-4-2 all game are well gone.

The formation has to be flexible, we can’t have one formation, if we start 4-2-1-3 then we need to be able to go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-3 or 4-3-3 with the players in the team and depending on what the opposition do.
The bets two managers unfortunately in the league is Rodgers ad Lennon and they both change the formation as the game goes on and we need a manager that can do the same and read the match. The days of 4-4-2 all game are well gone.

Of course not but i cant make up 4 different formations just now :p im using one formation as an example

Not sure Kamara would be the type of player to play at the tip of a diamond. Would maybe have him instead of McArthur as I'm in the minority of people who aren't bothered about him. Would be on huge wages and is at the age where his mobility is on the decline. In this league, and to compete with the scum, we need midfielders that can cover ground and quickly. I suspect the usual suspects that would herald him as a master signing would be calling him pish after a few minutes as they have with Dorrans, Alves etc. We don't seem to learn from signing players who've legs have gone

Not sure Kamara would be the type of player to play at the tip of a diamond. Would maybe have him instead of McArthur as I'm in the minority of people who aren't bothered about him. Would be on huge wages and is at the age where his mobility is on the decline. In this league, and to compete with the scum, we need midfielders that can cover ground and quickly. I suspect the usual suspects that would herald him as a master signing would be calling him pish after a few minutes as they have with Dorrans, Alves etc. We don't seem to learn from signing players who've legs have gone
Its not the tip of a diamond its a tight midfield 4 not a number 10 as such

3 at the back is not a formation you can just switch to once a month.

We'd need to spend all summer on it.

Not a lot of width or pace in that team, as good as Candeias & Murphy are at tracking back giving them the whole responsibility of creating and defending their flanks would have even the best of athletes knackered.

Not a lot of width or pace in that team, as good as Candeias & Murphy are at tracking back giving them the whole responsibility of creating and defending their flanks would have even the best of athletes knackered.
Its not their whole responsibility though , the left and right mids can help, along with the left and right centre back stepping out and cover from the defensive mid, it works well for teams and i think it would for us.

The biggest plus is having 4 central mids in there and still having 2 wingers allowing us to get a grip of games in the middle, something we havent done all season.

Home games out with the filth.

Back 4
3 centre mids
A wide player or creative type
2 centre forwards
Walter Smith esque with Arfield on the right hand side but tucked in like how Davis played, Tav overlapping

Its not their whole responsibility though , the left and right mids can help, along with the left and right centre back stepping out and cover from the defensive mid, it works well for teams and i think it would for us.

The biggest plus is having 4 central mids in there and still having 2 wingers allowing us to get a grip of games in the middle, something we havent done all season.
Teams would just play down the wings, or try and and run through the middle considering it’s not very quick.

To narrow a midfield to play 3 at back. Opposition would simple play outwide and pull out centre half’s out in to full back areas and isolate them, candeias and Murphy will be far too high to track back and we would we very suspect to the diagonal switch. The main benefit of 3 at the back is to play a possession based game with 2 strikers and to dominate midfield.

The problem we have is clearly we want to be able to play 2 up top but Murphy and candeias are key players as is tav.

It’s a tricky one but playing 352 or 41212 are my preferred options but then we lose candeias and Murphy would need to play central where he wouldn’t be as effective

I would like to see us go 3 at the back, and use a tight diamond 4 in the middle (not a number 10 as such) of midfielders with Jack or McCrorie as the holding mid, it would give us a solid midfield that could outnumber most teams and we still have an attacking front 3 and discipline in midfield to cover the wide areas, not having out and out wingbacks as such isnt as great a concern for me although it can be tweaked depending on who we play as Candeais and Muprhy are also good at getting back to help.

Of course we have the facility to change to different formations as and when we need to this is just the first one that came to my head.

I realise Tav and dj are out and not everyone will be happy with that but this is just my opinion, Tav could still have a big part to play but im not building the team around him.

We would need to buy a new gk, 3 centre backs, 2 at least with pace and i also have a new striker in IF Morelos goes, i have used McArthur etc in this team as an example only, i understand they might not all sign.

1677756_Champions_League_Team.jpg

So, basically, a new team

I'm not disagreeing with you incidentally :D

To narrow a midfield to play 3 at back. Opposition would simple play outwide and pull out centre half’s out in to full back areas and isolate them, candeias and Murphy will be far too high to track back and we would we very suspect to the diagonal switch. The main benefit of 3 at the back is to play a possession based game with 2 strikers and to dominate midfield.

The problem we have is clearly we want to be able to play 2 up top but Murphy and candeias are key players as is tav.

It’s a tricky one but playing 352 or 41212 are my preferred options but then we lose candeias and Murphy would need to play central where he wouldn’t be as effective

This is why i ended up with this formation to include Murphy and Candeias, i dont agree it would not work for a number of reasons but i respect your view. :cool:

Dorrans has made it clear to the management that he is more comfortable as a holding midfielder, hence why it was Holt who was pushed forward on Sunday and Dorrans went deep in the second half.

This is why i ended up with this formation to include Murphy and Candeias, i dont agree it would not work for a number of reasons but i respect your view. :cool:

It is a tricky one and Like I said I prefer either 352 or 4121 and you’ve kind of went in the middle so we are close

It’s a lot down to personnel and who will be our centre forward options and centre half options will ultimately determine our formation

3 at the back without proper wing backs would leave us liable to get pulled all over the place if or opponents went wide. Most teams will play one up against us, which will leave us with 2 spare at the back and make it difficult to press teams higher up the park... if defenders go on to wide men we are very open, if they push on to central midfielders we are easy to play around and get caught behind.

Also not so sure that Kamara is enough of a forward thinking player to be at the top of a diamond like that.

3 at the back without proper wing backs would leave us liable to get pulled all over the place if or opponents went wide. Most teams will play one up against us, which will leave us with 2 spare at the back and make it difficult to press teams higher up the park... if defenders go on to wide men we are very open, if they push on to central midfielders we are easy to play around and get caught behind.

Also not so sure that Kamara is enough of a forward thinking player to be at the top of a diamond like that.

Kamara isnt that type of player thats why i said its not a diamond as such its a tight midfield 4 that can interchange

No width. And wheres Alfie ?
Morelos will be sold, Murphy and Candeias are the width.

Leaving 3 men up has lots of advantages in terms of the opposition having to react to that.

Anyway was just an idea as the 343 is very popular now although not in the same mould as i have here without wingbacks as such.

I cant reply to every question on it now :p

McGregor
Tav Kanon Onouha John
McCrorie McArthur
Candeias Holtby Murphy
Prevljak

Five signings of quality down the spine,three free transfers with probably signing-on fees of half a million each.Kanon and Prevljak probably costing several million between them.Arfield,Lasogga and Jason Naismith all on frees plus one other CH for the squad.Possibly sacrifice one of the wide players for Arfield in more difficult games,and go two up top at times with Lasogga when teams come to Ibrox and sit in.
I'd fund it by punting Morelos,Windass and whatever small fees we get for any deadwood.

* Edited for the probable imminent arrival of shagger

Last edited:
Im hoping we have a coach and players capable adapting to different systems for different games.

I don't understand why formations with 3 at the back are so popular. They work well with teams that only play down the middle, but any teams who have decent wingers can expose it so easily. Its exactly why we had so many chances against Hearts in the second half. Easy to expose the pockets either side of the back 3.

For me, I like a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 with a narrow 4 in midfield, depending on the opposition.

It’s a squad game and would be better detailing a 23/24, however, if Jack and Kamara are our best CM pairing next season then we’re in trouble. Hate to say it, but Murphy and Candeias are not 2 of a front 3 that win the league either.

We need to get rid of the dross (Halliday/Dalcio/Herrera) and bring in McArthur/Weiss/McBurnie level quality players to push those current regulars (Docherty/Candeias/Windass) down to squad status.

I don't understand why formations with 3 at the back are so popular. They work well with teams that only play down the middle, but any teams who have decent wingers can expose it so easily. Its exactly why we had so many chances against Hearts in the second half. Easy to expose the pockets either side of the back 3.

For me, I like a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 with a narrow 4 in midfield, depending on the opposition.
It can be done,but in most cases where it's successful it's down to very good coaching with top drawer defenders.Juventus when they had Barzagli,Chiellini and Bonucci as the three were poetry in motion.

I have a feeling we won't be signing that calibre of player anytime soon,so I'd like us to sign two big b.astards like Kanon and Onouha and sit Ross McCrorie in front of them to compensate for our full backs defensive weaknesses somewhat.

1677772_Rangers.jpg

Something similar to the above could be very achievable. (Two bosmans and about £4m on two signings)

Defence:
I think Tavernier could be an option for the right of the back three. He's quick and athletic and has good distribution. He might be better defensively if he was tasked with staying at the back, rather than getting forward whenever possible. He would also be more than capable of playing in the Candeias position.

We need to bring in at least two new central defenders. I've put Ragnar Sigurdsson and Wilfried Kanon for the purpose of this, but there are plenty more available.
Sigurdsson is a fast, strong, experienced defender (he was MOTM against England at the Euros). He's out of contract this summer and I imagine could be signed on a deal similar to that of Alves (if we are lucky enough to find a team to take him, freeing up his wage).

Kanon would cost around £3m from ADO Den Haag. At 24 years old, he has 29 caps for Ivory Coast, where he partners Eric Bailley at CB. He's also capable of playing LB, making him perfect for the role of left in a back three. He would be a bargain at that sort of price and we would almost certainly make a big profit on him down the line.

Other options could include Andreas Bjelland (free), Georgi Terziev (free), Tosin Adarabioyo (loan).

Midfield:
The two wide players have been excellent for us and are capable of tracking back, as well as getting forward. I'm more than happy with Candeias and Murphy, with Tavernier and John providing cover when needed.

McCrorie's role would be similar to that of Kante at Chelsea. If the opposition are attacking down our right side, get over there to help out Tav. Same goes on the left. McCrorie seems to glide across the pitch, covering the ground effortlessly and he's got plenty of dig about him. CDM is definitely his best position and I think he would excel in this set up.
Ryan Jack could provide cover, while Kamara of Dundee looks like having the tools to be coached into an excellent player in this position too. Mulumbu could be a cheap option to provide further cover.

I've put Arfield in midfield. He would be fantastic for us in the middle of the park. I would have put McArthur too, but can see him staying down south. Docherty and Dorrans would fight it out to play beside him in the other CM position.

Forwards:
Patrick Twumasi is a player we should be looking at. He absolutely tore Celtic to shreds in the second leg of their Champions League qualifier this season, scoring twice. He scored a total of 10 goals in 14 appearances in Europe this season, including 3 against Maccabi Tel Aviv, 2 against Legia Warsaw and 1 against each of Villarreal and Sporting Lisbon (as well as his 2 against Celtic). He was very nearly sold to Caen for just under £1m in January. He would be an absolute steal at that price. I've put him in behind the striker, but he would also be capable of playing up front or on either wing. He'd actually be a very good replacement for Morelos if we were to sell him.
Another player able to play in this position is Khama Billiat. He's attracting quite a lot of attention from sides in Sweden, Belgium etc and was close to signing for Qarabag recently. He's currently on around £2,200 a week, so could be a quality addition to the squad without breaking the bank.
Hungary captain, Balazs Dzsudzsak would be another that could be brilliant in this position. He's also available for free and has bags of ability and experience, as well as being superb from set-pieces.
I'd also sign Cummings for the rumoured £600k, not least because we would easily get 2 or 3 times that back for him down the line.

It can be done,but in most cases where it's successful it's down to very good coaching with top drawer defenders.Juventus when they had Barzagli,Chiellini and Bonucci as the three were poetry in motion.

I have a feeling we won't be signing that calibre of player anytime soon,so I'd like us to sign two big b.astards like Kanon and Onouha and sit Ross McCrorie in front of them to compensate for our full backs defensive weaknesses somewhat.

Juve are the only team that I can think of that have recently used 3-5-2 successfully (Guardiola uses 3-4-3 occasionally), but like you've said they have a back line consisting of some of the best defenders in the world. We aren't going to have players of that calibre, so I think we will always struggle to implement 3 at the back successfully.

I don't think it's an awful formation - it's useful for teams that play down the middle (like Motherwell do for example). But I just don't agree with playing with 3 at the back consistently because of its defensive weakness in wide areas. Playing this formation in Europe or against the filth wouldn't end well imo.

Reactions: cav
My thoughts on next season’s squad:

Hodson, Forrester, Dodoo can be released.

O’Halloran i would allow to go for free if it’s down south, but I would hold out for cash from an SPFL team.

Halliday and Holt can be thanked and allowed to find a new club - likely both will not want to join another SPFL team.

Pena, Herrera to be sold for whatever we can get for them.

Dalcio, Martin and Goss to return to their parent clubs.

Take up the option of buying Cummings and Murphy (both 99% there already?)

Wes - if rumours are true that he’s off, hold out for £3m. Plenty of cash flying around in the Championship and we shouldn’t sell ourselves short. Personally I’d rather we let Alnwick go, put 2 of Liam Kelly, Robbie McCrorie or Kieran Wright out on loan, and have Wes compete with McGregor for the no1 jersey. Competition might bring out the best in Wes for one more season.

Tav and Windass - as above with Wes, if we receive offers over £5m then they can go. When you see Britt Assombalonga go for £15m and Fulham reject £18m for Tom Cairney, we need to be tough and hold out for decent money for players.

Morelos - can’t see us getting offers near the Chinese money. I’d personally try and convince him to stay for another season.

We’re now entering a fourth summer in a row potentially looking for a new back four. I like balance, and think we need adequate backup at both full back positions (a new right back if Tav leaves). I’d focus on guys that can defend, not wing backs.

Two first choice centre halves aged 25-30 - we can’t go down the same route of replacing like for like; young (Cardoso for Kiernan) and old (Alves for Hill/Senderos). McCrorie would be backup at centre half, when he’s not playing defensive mid. I’d give Cardoso another six months to prove himself. Alves can leave if he wants.

Central midfield looks a bit congested, but I think we need a left sided player, a proper number ten, and possibly a left footed version of Candeias. Arfield coming in means we can play 4 in the middle without going with two ‘wingers’.

Up front we need a finisher (Cummings) and probably an all round target man in the mould of Daniel Cousin/Dado Prso. If Gerrard is the new manager I’d like to think his experience playing with Suarez and Sturridge could be used to form a partnership between Morelos and Cummings.

I’m not convinced that Gerrard is the right managerial appointment but can only hope he will be able to attract players of a better quality than Warburton and Caixinha did. We can’t replace dross with more dross, we need to have a squad of 20-22 players that can be called upon at any time. I’m in favour of going to a back three if the personnel is correct, I feel we have the players to switch from 4 to 3 at the back when attacking, but rarely do so.

McGregor
Tav Kanon Onouha John
McCrorie McArthur
Candeias Holtby Murphy
Prevljak

Five signings of quality down the spine,three free transfers with probably signing-on fees of half a million each.Kanon and Prevljak probably costing several million between them.Arfield,Lasogga and Jason Naismith all on frees plus one other CH for the squad.Possibly sacrifice one of the wide players for Arfield in more difficult games,and go two up top at times with Lasogga when teams come to Ibrox and sit in.
I'd fund it by punting Morelos,Windass and whatever small fees we get for any deadwood.

* Edited for the probable imminent arrival of shagger
Not being cheeky here but have you seen this guy Prevljak play, given he plays in Austria? Or is it just looking at strikers with decent goal tallies in Europe?

Reactions: cav
Not being cheeky here but have you seen this guy Prevljak play, given he plays in Austria? Or is it just looking at strikers with decent goal tallies in Europe?
To be perfectly honest I haven't mate,but a couple of posters on here have and been waxing lyrical about the lad for a wee while-I've only seen the obligatory youtube clips etc. but his stats certainly don't do him any harm either.
He looks dynamite to be fair what little I've seen,and at 22 scope to get better and make us a right few quid in a couple of years.If not him,I'd definitely like us to sign someone like him at least.

To be perfectly honest I haven't mate,but a couple of posters on here have and been waxing lyrical about the lad for a wee while-I've only seen the obligatory youtube clips etc. but his stats certainly don't do him any harm either.
He looks dynamite to be fair what little I've seen,and at 22 scope to get better and make us a right few quid in a couple of years.If not him,I'd definitely like us to sign someone like him at least.
Fair enough though may depend on cash I suppose.

Back