My Friend: The Goalie

Robert Marshall

Yesterday brought the Inevitable news of the passing of Scotland's greatest ever Goalkeeper, I have known Andy for twenty-five years and I can honestly say that he has been a great friend to The Louden, myself, and my family.
While still a first-team regular, he offered to spend an afternoon drawing a raffle at both my son's primary school and my daughter's secondary school.
As anyone who knew him will tell you he had a wicked sense of humour, we go into the primary school where the Headmistress has warned all the kids to stay in their seats and not talk, the first thing Andy does when he walks into the room is tell all the kids to come to the front with him.
Bedlam
We then go to the secondary where everyone in the school is in the assembly room, he asks if there are any Celtic fans in the school? About thirty all put their hands up and he asks them all to come down the front, they all duly oblige and when they reach him, he says ' This is the nearest you will get to a League Winners medal ' Pure class and then spent an hour signing autographs.
I could tell loads of great stories about him and the number of good things he did for all sorts of people in the East End.
Andy spent a lot of time in The Louden in Duke Street when we had it, I can't remember one incident where anyone had cross words with him, in fact, quite the opposite as he gave his time to
everyone.
Jim Baxter said when he found out he was dying that he had lived the lives of two ordinary people, well Andy done that and some
I had the pleasure of hosting him for five different Q and A and he was different class.
All the dealings I had with him and all the days and nights in his company were a pleasure.
It has been a privilege to have known him and the world will be much poorer after his passing.
Like Baxter, Sandy, Coop, Walter and so many others, even if you hadn't met them, they were still your heroes and more importantly, your friends.
They have all one thing in common. They were born Mortals and died Legends
God Bless You, Andy

Lovely words Robert. I was never lucky enough to have had the privilege of meeting The Goalie but as you said he was a hero and felt like a friend. We will never ever get a better keeper as he was the best.

Yesterday brought the Inevitable news of the passing of Scotland's greatest ever Goalkeeper, I have known Andy for twenty-five years and I can honestly say that he has been a great friend to The Louden, myself, and my family.
While still a first-team regular, he offered to spend an afternoon drawing a raffle at both my son's primary school and my daughter's secondary school.
As anyone who knew him will tell you he had a wicked sense of humour, we go into the primary school where the Headmistress has warned all the kids to stay in their seats and not talk, the first thing Andy does when he walks into the room is tell all the kids to come to the front with him.
Bedlam
We then go to the secondary where everyone in the school is in the assembly room, he asks if there are any Celtic fans in the school? About thirty all put their hands up and he asks them all to come down the front, they all duly oblige and when they reach him, he says ' This is the nearest you will get to a League Winners medal ' Pure class and then spent an hour signing autographs.
I could tell loads of great stories about him and the number of good things he did for all sorts of people in the East End.
Andy spent a lot of time in The Louden in Duke Street when we had it, I can't remember one incident where anyone had cross words with him, in fact, quite the opposite as he gave his time to
everyone.
Jim Baxter said when he found out he was dying that he had lived the lives of two ordinary people, well Andy done that and some
I had the pleasure of hosting him for five different Q and A and he was different class.
All the dealings I had with him and all the days and nights in his company were a pleasure.
It has been a privilege to have known him and the world will be much poorer after his passing.
Like Baxter, Sandy, Coop, Walter and so many others, even if you hadn't met them, they were still your heroes and more importantly, your friends.
God Bless You, Andy
Brilliant words mate, rip andy

Nice post.
I was also lucky enough to have a day and night out with Andy by chance on the bevy before a wedding,had a great day he mustve been sick of me asking questions about his career but he never showed it , he was a gent.

My thoughts as well. From 6 months to 6 weeks and now no longer with us…
And I am only 4 months younger than him…
Life’s too short.
Life’s too precious.
My father-in-law was diagnosed the same time as Andy. Went the same way, months to weeks. Andy managed to battle for another 2 weeks longer than my father-in-law did.

As I said on the main thread, Andy gave me terrific memories as a fan and then in 98 when we met on holiday and I caddied for him and watched a lot of World Cup together.

My heart is heavy this weekend. My father-in-law's funeral is tomorrow.

Bedlam
everyone.
God Bless You, Andy
Great words mate.I too had the honour of meeting Andy a few times and he was always friendly and approachable.Rest Easy Andy.

Nice words Robert,had the pleasure of being at one of his Q&A nights in your establishment---was a great night.
As an aside to this at the break I noticed a guy looking adoringly at a portrait/print of Andy and said to him a great Goalie and was told he was this person's hero.
I said to him there is my hero over there and pointed your stained glass image of Jim Baxter to which he replied "I am Jim Baxter's son". Got a photo with him to remind me of that night.

My father-in-law was diagnosed the same time as Andy. Went the same way, months to weeks. Andy managed to battle for another 2 weeks longer than my father-in-law did.

As I said on the main thread, Andy gave me terrific memories as a fan and then in 98 when we met on holiday and I caddied for him and watched a lot of World Cup together.

Thoughts with you too mate.

Sorry for your loss mate.

Nice Words Robert, can’t believe it, had the pleasure to meet him on a few occasions, tears in my eyes every time I think about it!!!

He used to come along to our county darts matches when his big mate andy fordham played for us,he was great with the guys,down to earth and just one of us....he will be sorley missed.

I only met Andy briefly few years ago when I was doing music for a Miss Scotland contest, as I was busy I could only nod and say hello, tried finding him later but he was gone, I was gutted. The man’s a legend.

Great words Robert.

Lovely tribute to Andy, I met him loads of times in the Louden Duke St, I even recall him answering the phone a few times too, that’s how comfortable he was in there :D

My folks met him and Bomber in Tenerife a good few years back as well, he was some man, bought my auld boy and Mum a drink, my da was made up.

Rest easy Andy.

When my youngest son was being baptised, a mutual friend of Andy's asked if I minded if Andy came along our celebration party in a local bar in Greenock. How could I have refused that? Andy Goram at my wean's baptism party, I was as happy as could be. Sure enough Andy came along and spent loads of time with anyone who wished to speak to him. Refused offers of drink and instead made sure my glass was always full. I admit I was a pest and spent all my time asking him to sign beer mats (still got one in my loft) and talking about Rangers and nothing was a problem to him. Absolute gentleman and club legend, he will be sadly missed.

Nice words.
We've been blessed with great keepers but all said and done I truly believe he was our greatest ever.
Always remembered.

Nice words Robert

I never “met” Andy as such but was once at Hamilton races one day he was there, went in to place a bet around the bar area, some mouthy Celtic fans giving him a bit of stick, Andy literally picked out the biggest of them and said something along the lines of “let’s see about that outside”, needless to say the bigmouth shit himself. Now I’m sure Andy knew there were a good few bears in there who would have got involved but he was taking no shite from them at all

RIP “THE goalie”

Lovely words Robert. Never fortunate enough to meet The Goalie myself, but a few family members have and all spoke very highly of him.

Had the privilege of sitting behind the Goalie on a flight to a Euro game in Spain (ossasuna I think) and he couldn’t have been nicer to my dad, brother and myself, don’t think his bit of stuff was too chuffed with him as all we did was talk Rangers and bevvy, we got a pic together and it’s one of my all time favourites.

RIP Goalie

Met him twice... Absolute gentleman both times and on the second occasion he took the time to chat away to my son who was only 7 or 8 at the time telling him all about the good old days which he didn't have to do...A sad sad loss to the rangers family.

I met The Goalie a few times and when he was getting all the plaudits going, he always said, it was thanks to the players, that played in front of him.

That said a lot about him, to me. Rest Easy an Absolute Rangers Legend.

Met him in City walls in Stirling about 10 years ago. Was with his sister for her birthday. Was brand new and and happy to chat. Taken too early. Rest in peace Andy, you will never be forgotten.

I was lucky enough to play right back in a charity game and Goram was in goals. I cleared the ball off the line and got a “well in wee subbuteo” due to my height lol. A day I’ll never forget. Also it was recorded & I’ve got the match on dvd :))

Last edited:
Bedlam
everyone.
God Bless You, Andy
Well said Rab, RIP The Goalie.

very nice words and a great tribute to a true Ranger, we have lost a few recently and it is a tragedy for all of us left behind to mourn, condolences to the family RIP

Great words Robert,

I was Luckily enough to meet Andy and shake hands with him , this has to be months ago, makes it pretty scary to think how quickly this illness can work , well I dropped in with the wife during a wee day sesh in bar 72 uddingston, Andy walked into the pub ,I had my hand out to shake his, he walked by and shakes all hands in front of him , pied a belter lol, but he must have caught me at the side of his eye ,he walked back around the pub, walked directly over to me and shook my hand , I thought I seen you mate.

Great keeper and a great man.

the legend I had since a boy showed his class.

“God bless the goalie”

I met Andy in a pub next door to an Orange Hall in Rutherglen.
I was there for an RST do I think , and I popped in for a pint there before it, and he was sitting at the bar.

I can't remember anything else about it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I met him.

I met Andy in a pub next door to an Orange Hall in Rutherglen.
I was there for an RST do I think , and I popped in for a pint there before it, and he was sitting at the bar.

I can't remember anything else about it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I met him.
The Quarryman

Back