My hero is 77 tomorrow

dh1963

Growing up a Rangers fan, we all have a hero. I attended my first game in 1968, and for the next decade, that hero was John Greig.

The captain. The man who refused to admit defeat, but who was always gracious and dignified when we did lose, and magnanimous and respectful when we won. Capped as a right back, a left back, a centre back and a midfielder. Leader on the pitch in our darkest ever hour, and again in our greatest triumph. Scorer of 120 Rangers competitive goals, an incredible total for a player who played the vast majority of his career as a defender, and who only briefly took penalties. Scored on his debut at 18, was captain in a treble winning Cup final at 35 in his last game.

5 league titles, 6 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups, 44 Scotland caps with many as captain. Not to mention the Cup Winners Cup, of course. The first man to win 3 trebles as a player. 755 competitive appearances, when you include minor competitions and friendlies he wore the jersey more than 800 times.

A one club man, who was voted The Greatest Ranger by the supporters.
He may or may not have deserved that ultimate honour, but he certainly deserves to be amongst the very few we debate on the subject.

John Greig MBE, born September 11th 1942. 77 years old tomorrow.

Still my hero.

Happy birthday when it comes Sir.

Last edited:
Well said, sir. My hero as well.

I was born in 1959 so grew up watching him. He epitomised everything that a Rangers player should be.
When I was about eight, my mother sent off for a large, colour poster made of thick card of JG and it was pinned above my bed. Clearing out her house recently, I came across it and it is now taking pride of place in the hallway of my flat next to Cooper, Laudrup and Souness and numerous pennants.

Happy Birthday, Mr Greig!

Happy birthday Mr Greg. I met him at a friendly down in Blackpool and its something I will always treasure. Absolute colossus of our fantastic club the man is a living legend.

John Greig by example and his leadership as Rangers captain in the late 60’s and early 70’s (which was an era of a consistently successful Celtic which had not been seen since before the First World War) gave all Rangers supporters hope of better days. A member of one of the great Rangers teams at the beginning of his career, he drove his team mates on to give us some silverware during the middle of his career only to regain similar success of his earlier career towards the end of his playing days.

Great post dh1963. Happy birthday tomorrow to John Greig. One of the greatest players and captains of The Rangers.

I was born in 58, Ibrox since 62.
Captain John Greig was a leader of men who for years had the unfortunate task of carrying us on his back.
Barcelona 72, Scottish cup final 73 Easter Road 75 only for the last few minutes, a treble in 76 and 78.
A star as a player, really wished it had worked out for him as our manager.
Have a wonderful birthday Mr Greig.

A truly iconic player and figure at the club I was lucky to see him play although his best years were behind him-he didn't really look like a player but by christ he could get there and make things happen whether it was a crunching tackle, a nice flick, a defensive block or getting on the end of an attacking move.

Great post OP.

Growing up a Rangers fan, we all have a hero. I attended my first game in 1968, and for the next decade, that hero was John Greig.

The captain. The man who refused to admit defeat, but who was always gracious and dignified when we did lose, and magnanimous and respectful when we won. Capped as a right back, a left back, a centre back and a midfielder. Leader on the pitch in our darkest ever hour, and again in our greatest triumph. Scorer of 120 Rangers competitive goals, an incredible total for a player who played the vast majority of his career as a defender, and who only briefly took penalties. Scored on his debut at 18, was captain in a treble winning Cup final at 35 in his last game.

5 league titles, 6 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups, 44 Scotland caps with many as captain. Not to mention the Cup Winners Cup, of course. The first man to win 3 trebles as a player. 755 competitive appearances, when you include minor competitions and friendlies he wore the jersey more than 800 times.

He may or may not have deserved that ultimate honour, but he certainly deserves to be amongst the very few we debate on the subject.

Still my hero.

Sir John Greig, it has to be.

Still my hero.

a Rangers legend and my all time favourite player have his autograph and treasure it

His Testimonial was a great game. Rangers 5 Scotland 0.

He played golf with my dad at Lenzie a couple of times.

When my old Dad was fighting his loosing battle with cancer we agreed a visit to our stadium was essential.
I wrote to the club seeking assistance due to him being frail. Mr.Greig responded and ensured we had safe access for him. My Dad was thrilled by his letter as 'Big Ham n Egg' was his favourite.
It was a rotten game Vs Hearts on a sodden pitch and a young C.MIller scored the only goal.
Dad passed the following week.

Great post, @dh1963. I'd hesitate to say he was my hero (I prefer to reserve that term for someone who, say, saves lives at risk of their own) but certainly JG was my childhood inspiration. His absolute refusal to give up until the final whistle undoubtedly contributed to the tenacity and stubbornness about which my wife of 36 years complains to this day. But those same characteristics, modelled by a wee boy after John Greig's example, have stood me in good stead. Happy birthday to the archetypal Rangers captain.

They say that you should never meet your heroes but having met Mr Greig, I'm glad to say that I did. A true gentleman and a fine ambassador for our club

As someone who attended my first home game in March 1967 and grew up knowing no one but Greigy as captain, he was undoubtedly my hero. A funny thing is that, even though a significant part of his career was during the vermin’s NIAR, you never felt a game was lost if Greigy was on the pitch.

Terrific thread @dh1963.

Unfortunately, due to my age, I was never able to see him play, but I've seen plenty of footage of him over the years, including plenty of goals, which sometimes goes under the radar a bit.

Plenty of stories from my dad about him and he never tires of talking about the 73 cup final and how Greig ran around like a man possessed in the last 10 minutes, tackling anything that moved and driving his team on to hold on to their lead.

Many Happy Returns Mr Greig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy birthday Mr Rangers. Had the pleasure of speaking to him at the team hotel before the game against PSV in 1978. Mental to think he was only 36 years old then and managing Rangers.

Last edited:
A truly iconic player and figure at the club I was lucky to see him play although his best years were behind him-he didn't really look like a player but by christ he could get there and make things happen whether it was a crunching tackle, a nice flick, a defensive block or getting on the end of an attacking move.

Great post OP.
Good post. As I've said on here before look at his display against Bayern in 67 ECWC final and he's as good as Beckanbauer- underestimated by many in terms of being an excellent footballer on top of all the thing s we already know about his spirit and never say die attitude. Happy Birthday JG.

John Greig MBE epitomised what a captain of Rangers FC should be.
We've had more than our fair share of great captain's, but none greater in that role than than ol' Ham n' Egg.

Greatest Ranger of all time is some accolade

And rightly so !!

Two great memory’s he gave me in games I attended was his goals against the scum at Ibrox and a belter against Ayr Utd down at Somerset park when Ayr were a good team !!
Would be great if someone would post the links to these goals as I dont have a clue about computers

I’m surprised John Greig ain’t in a wheelchair after he carried us on his back for a few years.

Never the greatest footballer but when it came to blood, sweat and spit definitely one of the greatest Rangers.

Starred for us and starred for Scotland in the days when we had some players at International level.

No 50-50 tackles with JG, when he went in I never reckoned it less than 80% in his favour.

Happy Birthday mate and plenty more of them.

Back