My hero is 77 tomorrow

Growing up a Rangers fan, we all have a hero. I attended my first game in 1968, and for the next decade, that hero was John Greig.

The captain. The man who refused to admit defeat, but who was always gracious and dignified when we did lose, and magnanimous and respectful when we won. Capped as a right back, a left back, a centre back and a midfielder. Leader on the pitch in our darkest ever hour, and again in our greatest triumph. Scorer of 120 Rangers competitive goals, an incredible total for a player who played the vast majority of his career as a defender, and who only briefly took penalties. Scored on his debut at 18, was captain in a treble winning Cup final at 35 in his last game.

5 league titles, 6 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups, 44 Scotland caps with many as captain. Not to mention the Cup Winners Cup, of course. The first man to win 3 trebles as a player. 755 competitive appearances, when you include minor competitions and friendlies he wore the jersey more than 800 times.

A one club man, who was voted The Greatest Ranger by the supporters.
He may or may not have deserved that ultimate honour, but he certainly deserves to be amongst the very few we debate on the subject.

John Greig MBE, born September 11th 1942. 77 years old tomorrow.

Still my hero.

Happy birthday when it comes Sir.

Excellent tribute DH.

Great thread OP! Happy Birthday John Greig, you are quite simply The Greatest Ranger. Thanks for the wonderful memories travelling up and down the country watching you lead The Rangers to glory with passion, determination & skill second to none. Thanks for treating the Club, our fans & your opponents with the respect & the dignity that your role as Captain of Rangers demanded, in victory and in defeat. You epitomize Rangers Football Club.

KcGvPBe.jpg

The Greatest Ranger scores to defeat our upcoming opponents Young Boys at Ibrox on August 17, 1977.

A truly iconic player and figure at the club I was lucky to see him play although his best years were behind him-he didn't really look like a player but by christ he could get there and make things happen whether it was a crunching tackle, a nice flick, a defensive block or getting on the end of an attacking move.

Great post OP.
This point may have been covered elsewhere but there’d be nothing wrong repeating it
Greig played right back, left back, right half, left half, inside right and probably inside left as well and more besides.
You could probably name half a dozen better, no, make that more talented, footballers for each position he played.
However, he’d still be the first name on your team sheet.
He’d still be your captain.
John Greig had a leadership quality you just can’t buy.
The phrase “more than the sum of the parts” was invented for John Greig.

Last edited:
This point may have been covered elsewhere but there’d be nothing wrong repeating it
Greig played right back, left back, right half, left half, inside right and probably inside left as well and more besides.
You could probably name half a dozen better, no make that more talented, footballers for each position he played.
However, he’d still be the first name on your team sheet.
He’d still be your captain.
John Greig had a leadership quality you just can’t buy.
The phrase “more than the sum of the parts” was invented for John Greig.

Brilliant post.

Back