My Top Team: Kevin Thomson

Craigie

RANGERS Academy coach Kevin Thomson picks the best players he played with.

Surprised at JCD getting in the team. But it is his opinion and he played with all of them.

Few surprises in there to be honest. Thought Weir was a certainty. Murphy? Come on Thommo!

Riordan? Ehhhhh. The guy definitely had ability, but it still surprises me when you consider some of the other strikers he played with. I think being a boyhood Hibs fan he definitely wanted to get some Hibs players in there.

I’m even surprised he went with Darcheville, though he was a very good player. What he said about JCD was true though. I remember Motherwell defenders trying to barge him off the ball and they were just bouncing off him, he was built like a brick shithouse. An oddity in terms of that fact he was stocky and had short legs, but was somehow lightning quick.

As much as I love JT some of his selections are mince, 3 of them anyway,

giphy.gif

It’s his opinion and his team.

Out of all the “best 11 I’ve played with “ that is definitely the worst I’ve ever seen.

Hutton?
JCD?
Naismith?
Woodgate???
Murphy ?
Riordan?

Considering the calibre of some of the players he paid with some of his decisions are questionable to say the least.

His team his opinion however.

It’s his opinion and his team.

Out of all the “best 11 I’ve played with “ that is definitely the worst I’ve ever seen.

Hutton?
JCD?
Naismith?
Woodgate???
Murphy ?
Riordan?

When I think of who the alternative was to Hutton, I decided I was actually quite happy with his inclusion.

JCD - was going to start a thread of its own.

Maybe I’m losing it, but never had him down as that good at all.

No Kenny Miller but just had a thought. Did he ever play with him at Hibs/Rangers?

Thommo's picks. Wouldn't be mine. But he doesn't give a toss what anyone else thinks. Though he's sensibly omitted his Leggo munching mate...

Interesting selection.

El Hadji Diouf had one of the most bizarre all time 11's. Mostly made up of his pals from Senegal and no place for Steven Gerrard.

RANGERS Academy coach Kevin Thomson picks the best players he played with.

sounds like a 14 year old who's voice is about to break

Never been convinced by the Kevin Thomson love in on here. Thought he was a very good player beside Ferguson and Davis as a one paced one footed water carrier. Needed to be 100% fit to operate at that level and suffered 2 cruciates which are always going to impact you .

Reading between the lines I believe he had a higher opinion of himself than his ability merited. Weir said something to that effect in his book .

Some of his selections will be influenced by his relationship with teamates like anyone else’s . The strike force the year we got to the final was our weak point . JCD could never finish a game . The strike force we had a year or 2 later might have got us over the line .

Did JCD have a long standing injury problem? I always remember him not being able to last 90 mins (with the exception of 1 game....) but the pre-season comments make it sound like this was because of an underlying problem rather than just fitness

Few surprises in there to be honest. Thought Weir was a certainty. Murphy? Come on Thommo!

Riordan? Ehhhhh. The guy definitely had ability, but it still surprises me when you consider some of the other strikers he played with. I think being a boyhood Hibs fan he definitely wanted to get some Hibs players in there.

I’m even surprised he went with Darcheville, though he was a very good player. What he said about JCD was true though. I remember Motherwell defenders trying to barge him off the ball and they were just bouncing off him, he was built like a brick shithouse. An oddity in terms of that fact he was stocky and had short legs, but was somehow lightning quick.
I always thought JCD was top notch in some aspects of his game but couldn't finish or strike a ball, which is somewhat important for a striker!

When you think of best player it may well consist of things we never see. Attitude, coaching of younger kids, friendship etc.

Back