Name one Scottish Player that wish pulled on a Rangers jersey

From the 60s, Denis Law, Dave Mackay, Alan Gilzean, Charlie Cook, John White would all have improved what was a very good team. I would have thought that most of these players would have been affordable before moving South at that time apart from Law.
In the 70s, Dalglish, Mcgrain, Brownlie were players we should have signed. Ridiculous that we missed out on the first two.
In the 70s we had Sandy Jardine so McGrain or Brownlie wouldn’t have improved us any.

John McGovern - arguably the best Scottish player never to be capped despite winning a European Cup ?
Kenny Burns partnered with Tom Forsyth might have been an interesting centre back pairing. It would be a brave centre forward that would try to run through that ! - (they peaked at slightly different times though with Burns @ 1980 )
There was a story sfa thought he wasn't scottish

I have read Miller wasn't man enough to put up with the off-field situation in Glasgow therefore he would have been of no use to us !!

If you were brought up in the Brigton of the 1950's & 60's (as Willie Miller was) then he would have had no problem in dealing with situations in Glasgow. Although I am older than Miller I went to the same school and remember him when he was a young boy. There were some genuinely hard lads that he grew up and played football with and he commanded their respect both on and off the football pitch. As I pointed out in my previous post, the fact that we could not sign him or Dalglish who should gave been two glaring targets tells you something about our scouting system back in those days. For the record I also think you could throw Danny McGrain and Andy Gray into the mix as well.

There’s great suggestions over past players so I won’t bother repeating them. I wish Billy Gilmour was able to strut his stuff up here right now, though. After watching some recent re-runs I wish we had another Barry Ferguson... and I think Billy Gilmour could’ve been the one.

I think I read once that when the delegation from Celtic went to Dalgleish's home hoping to sign him, they couldn't help notice the many photographs and posters of Rangers players adorning his bedroom walls. Since at the time Rangers hadn't registered an interest in Dalgleish, he then opted to sign for the yahoos. It would appear that someone in the Rangers scouting department screwed up big time.

To be fair I think you have to give credit to Jock Stein too for being smart enough to realise that all he had to do was target the best young Protestants to sign for Celtic, as we had no real interest in the best young Catholics. That both Dalglish and McGrain slipped through our net is tragic and undoubtedly strengthened them. Arguably along with Sandy, the only truly world class players playing in Scotland in the 1970's.

Eoin Jess

Only kidding.

Younger versions of Souness and Andy Gray would have been nice. Other obvious ones being Dalglish and Hansen.

Billy Bremner for me.

Fiery, tenacious, skillful and knew his way to goal. Voted Leeds greatest ever player.

Who would you loved to have seen pull on our jersey and why?
Didn’t realise how young he was when he died, Only 54. He was way before my time, But looking at old videos he looked a cracking wee player, Who would you compare him to from the modern era? Maybe like scholes a wee bit?

Didn’t realise how young he was when he died, Only 54. He was way before my time, But looking at old videos he looked a cracking wee player, Who would you compare him to from the modern era? Maybe like scholes a wee bit?

Scholes maybe had a wee bit more grace and finesse about things. Bremner was all action, box-to-box and put himself about.

Both could ping a 25 yarder in the same fashion though.

Only guy who hasn't been mentioned yet is John Robertson, the Nottingham Forest one. The best player in a team that won two European cups in a row.

John McGovern - arguably the best Scottish player never to be capped despite winning a European Cup ?
Kenny Burns partnered with Tom Forsyth might have been an interesting centre back pairing. It would be a brave centre forward that would try to run through that ! - (they peaked at slightly different times though with Burns @ 1980 )
We had Kenny Burns in the youth team and let him go.

To be fair I think you have to give credit to Jock Stein too for being smart enough to realise that all he had to do was target the best young Protestants to sign for Celtic, as we had no real interest in the best young Catholics. That both Dalglish and McGrain slipped through our net is tragic and undoubtedly strengthened them. Arguably along with Sandy, the only truly world class players playing in Scotland in the 1970's.

I totally agree with your observations. But the shortcomings in the Rangers scouting system that existed at that time still haven't really been corrected IMO. When you think of all the money that we have squandered over the years signing mediocre players that ended up contributing zilch, if a mere fraction of these sums had instead been invested in a top class scouting system we would be in far better shape as a club.

Charlie Cook, we should have signed him from Dundee instead of letting him go to Chelsea, he was desperate to sign for us.

Back