Nathan Patterson - Start on Wednesday?

This is the type of situation where we need to trust in our youth if we’re ever going to see them succeed as first team players. St Mirren and Hearts are two ties on paper that should allow us to start a youth player. It’s one player out of 11. We should have enough experience and quality throughout the rest of the line up to mitigate the inexperience of Patterson.

I thought the managers message to the young boys was if you're good enough you will play. He was one of our best players on Friday.

The draw with the sheep early December Flanagan was a joke defensively. Imo he played a big part in 1st goal just before ht.
Not saying this wasn't the case at all but the guy had only just came back from a long lay off an a hernia op. Some people on here seem quick to remember his poor displays and forget his good ones (not aimed at you btw Craig). When fully fit and match sharp he's a very good defensive option, he just doesn't have the same credentials going forward, that for me is when it's time to assess what sort of game it's going to be and pick accordingly. Big game against a more offensive "better" team and I'd go with Flanagan. At Ibrox against relative cannon fodder, or certainly teams that will sit in and it has to be Patterson. This is all in the event that Tav isn't fit of course.

I know hes only played a game and a half,but he looks like he offers more going forward,so for me it's a yes against St Mirren.

100% should start tomorrow - he's earned it. If he does the job again tomorrow then he should get the next game as well. Would be harsh as %^*& to drop him when he's performing well.

Not playing an inexperienced player because "it is an important match" has been a hindrance to our youth development for decades. Almost every match is important to us, how many Stranraer type games do we play a year?

I think he showed enough on Friday to be a serious contender for St Mirren at Ibrox.

Looks like he might be in the 18 anyway, not involved in the Glasgow Cup v Thistle tonight whereas Kennedy was along with McPake, Mayo and all the others.

He did well enough on Friday to keep his place anyway. As other have said it probably depends on how Gerrard wants to set up against Hearts.

I'd start him , Flannigan offers nothing in an attacking sense , and you know this mob are going to just sit in , we need both full backs bombing down the wing and delivering.

I cant imagine we are going to give a young guy his league debut when we have a good RB in Flan.

Paterson did well against Stranraer but it was Stranraer

Nothing to say he is ready for a MUST win SPFL game.

So we don’t blood any youngsters when we’re in the race for the league?

We’d be as well patching the youth system then, surely?

Would be happy to see him keep his place after Friday. 1st half he was excellent. If he can turn that to a full game we'll be laughing.

Reading through the whole post it appears more want Patterson to start than Flannagan, very encouraging sign for our academy and the lad himself.

Would love to see him start and properly tested tomorrow. His final ball vs Stranraer was poor at times and he wasn’t challenged defensively. If he comes through St Mirren, then he starts vs Hearts.

I keep seeing this banded about, "it's too important a game to risk him". He plays for Rangers, every game is important.

The boy absolutely deserves to start ahead of Flanagan tonight, he looks like a direct replacement for Tav in terms of playing style, it's really a no brainer. Flanagan completely changes the shape and style of our team, in all senses.

I think he did enough to show he deserves to keep his place. This will be a harder challenge and a chance for him to show whether he should keep it for the weekend too.

Flanagan always seems to struggle when coming in from a long run without games so he’s just as much of a risk as playing a youngster. I’ll be surprised if Patterson doesn’t start.

So we don’t blood any youngsters when we’re in the race for the league?

We’d be as well patching the youth system then, surely?
Yes we need to blood youngsters

but Paterson has played one first team game in Scotland
This was against Stranraer and he did ok, pretty good in fact.

I would start him against Hamilton in the cup and have him on the bench for a few SPFL games.

Yes we need to blood youngsters

but Paterson has played one first team game in Scotland
This was against Stranraer and he did ok, pretty good in fact.

I would start him against Hamilton in the cup and have him on the bench for a few SPFL games.

It’s St Mirren at home.

Definitely start him for me. I know its a must-win but its St Mirren at home.

And for those worried about Flanagan when he “comes in from the cold” and want him to play on Sunday (against Hearts youths) remember he played 90 on Saturday v QOS.

yes in isolation it seems like a good game for the kid to start.

I doubt as many would be in favour though were it Tynecastle

Flan needs game time before Hearts this is why he must start tonight.

And for those worried about Flanagan when he “comes in from the cold” and want him to play on Sunday (against Hearts youths) remember he played 90 on Saturday v QOS.
he does though need a competitive game before Hearts.

Look who made it in the team of the week! Way to go young Nathan!

EO0Y4GFWkAI0xwX

It will be a big decision by Gerrard if he does play him as teams will look to exploit his eagerness to get forward and test him down his side.

He should start tonight imo. His attacking style and pace will be suited perfectly in a game such as this where a team are going to just sit in.

Funny that fans constantly moan about not having any youth players 'making it' or losing the likes if Gilmour to Chelsea and potentially Leon King to the Premiership.

Yet when it comes to it they don't want to play one of our best prospects against fucking St Mirren because it's a must win game.

Be as well scrapping the academy if that's the case.

Also, given some of Flanagan's performances he's potentially more of a risk than anybody.

It will be a big decision by Gerrard if he does play him as teams will look to exploit his eagerness to get forward and test him down his side.
My guess is that we will have a midfield of Jack, Davis and Kamara, which should mean that Jack will play predominantly on the right hand side. This should provide us with a decent amount of protection should Patterson be selected. However, although I think he has done nothing wrong and probably deserves to retain his place, I think that Gerrard will bring Flanagan into the RB position.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else think that Flanagan should look to reinvent himself as a CB? He is sound defensively, decent in the air and loves a tackle, but he cannot play the modern fullback role (which is more of an athletic wing back) and particularly in the Rangers team where we are reliant of the fullbacks to provide the width.

Back